TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^TC has excellent operations. It's my go-to ride on crowded days.

Agreed, it almost always has three trains running and the ops that work it are very good. Don't let a long line deter you from riding TC, the line moves consistently and fairly quick.

Agreed, it almost always has three trains running and the ops that work it are very good. Don't let a long line deter you from riding TC, the line moves consistently and fairly quick.

It almost feels like Magic Mountain borrowed some ride operators from Cedar Point just to run Twisted Colossus.

It almost feels like Magic Mountain borrowed some ride operators from Cedar Point just to run Twisted Colossus.

they are great for magic mountain, but not cedar point like. lol

I will be at the park for a few hours tomorrow! Obviously it's going to be a mob scene and we won't be able to do that many rides but I'm excited

What would be a reasonably early time to get there? We already have our passes and everything, so at least we won't get caught up in the whole Processing thing.

Generally . . . what's attendance like at MM during the winter months?

Okay so officially Winter is Dec 21, 2017 - March 20, 2018

Park has limited hours.

Park has some attractions closed for both seasonal and some sort of re-hab. So those guests must be filtered to other attractions.

Weather comes into play and being the desert it could be 36 degrees to about 85 degrees.

Lots of bring a friend free days most seem to be on Sundays.

Fun time for all.

This coming week March 27/31st should be a ghost town as only open until 6pm but i think they are offering BAFF days so dbl check.

On the way home from the park now. We got to the gate at 10:30, waited through some intimidating security and entrance lines, and got in at around 11. This was mainly a credit trip, so we started off with Goliath, TC, and Batman, all of which were station waits at that point. After that, I did Goldrusher (station wait) and Superman (1 side running, 45 min) solo. Also worth noting: lines for VR Revolution were consistently an hour-plus, even from when we walked in the gate and everything else posted 5-10 minutes!

Twisted Colossus was definitely the highlight! It kept crazy speed and ridiculous airtime the whole time, to the extent that we all got the "what did I just ride" feeling. Several notches above Goliath, and a new #1 for me!

Batman was great, but it did in my parents. They assigned us the back row and wouldn't let us wait for the front, so we definitely got the most intense experience. I was a little dizzy afterward myself!

My brother had no interest in doing Goldrusher or SEFK, so I was the only one on those. Goldrusher was surprisingly jerky, not rough per se, but there were a few spots where I hit the side of the car and kicked the bar at my feet...so much for coat hanger engineering! Superman's line ended right at the entrance where a 90-minute wait was posted, but it ended up only about 40 or so. It was neat for sure, but not top 10 or worth a ride every visit.

Now that I had checked off all the operating coasters there (minus kiddies), we saw the 90+ waits listed on the app everywhere and decided to head home and get some rest after our long week of college touring and sightseeing in LA. Besides, the park could definitely use some love...the bathrooms in particular were looking pretty rough. There were a few "Six Flags" moments also; the aggressive Flash Pass sales in the packed entrance plaza and paying for a 1ocker on Goliath only to find everyone else leaving their bags in the station come to mind! In spite of everything, we still had a nice few hours there, and hopefully we'll get another chance to use our passes down here this summer!

Moral of the story: Get there early! It's amazing what a few hours' difference makes.

Please please please tell me VR will be moving to the drop tower later in the season, like other Six Flags parks? I'm going in July and would love to experience Revolution, minus the hour-plus lines and empty seats.

Of course, they could also try the super-logical approach of Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point; run the ride without VR at the start of the day, and take reservations for VR to run only after a certain time of day. Never say never!

Currently at SFMM now and it was a good day to come. In the food court next to Goliath, they now have digital menu boards that were installed this past Friday night. When getting a drink refill, the team member told me that they ONLY sell the higher tiered drink cups (yellow-free refills all season) to Premium Dining Pass members now. Those that already bought one prior will still be able to refill theirs with no charge. If no premium dining pass, you will only be able to buy the red drink cup. I guess this saves then money, in addition to making more money off the refills. Thoughts?

Please please please tell me VR will be moving to the drop tower later in the season, like other Six Flags parks? I'm going in July and would love to experience Revolution, minus the hour-plus lines and empty seats.

Of course, they could also try the super-logical approach of Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point; run the ride without VR at the start of the day, and take reservations for VR to run only after a certain time of day. Never say never!

I highly doubt this will happen, and I also hope it doesn't. I would rather have Revolution be a VR mess than Lex Luthor (which is already one of the worst capacity drop towers out there). But I completely agree that they should take the "organized" approach of Cedar Point and SFGA. Every park should do that IMO.

I hope this VR craze is just a fad. I understand it's easily marketable, but nothing compares to riding a coaster in the good ol' fresh air and seeing your surroundings... especially drop towers IMO.

Generally . . . what's attendance like at MM during the winter months?

Okay so officially Winter is Dec 21, 2017 - March 20, 2018

Park has limited hours.

Park has some attractions closed for both seasonal and some sort of re-hab. So those guests must be filtered to other attractions.

Weather comes into play and being the desert it could be 36 degrees to about 85 degrees.

Lots of bring a friend free days most seem to be on Sundays.

Fun time for all.

This coming week March 27/31st should be a ghost town as only open until 6pm but i think they are offering BAFF days so dbl check.

but isn't it spring break? i figured it would be more like normal summer days this week.

So wait: can you not ride Revolution without the VR?

It's still optional of course, but as far as I know, you have to wait in the line like everybody else. They had a Single Rider Line a while back (which was basically a non-VR line), but unless they recently replaced it, it's not there anymore.

[]Generally . . . .

but isn't it spring break? i figured it would be more like normal summer days this week.

==========================================================

Spring break in So Cal is all over the map. For the most part SFMM goes with LAUSD school schd and they go with Spring Break as April 10-14 ............other schools. heck even Santa Clarita cant get kids on same break with William Hart Schools (high schools) Spring Break is April 4-7 and Newhall School District (elem schools) break is March 27 - April 7th . Then we rove around and Antelope Valley was last week March 20 - 24th ...... Ventura is 4/3-4/7............. CSUN was 3/20-3/26 ............. And Cerritos is April 17 - April 21 ........ So when is Spring Break??? ....... Its your call

I will go to SFMM later this afternoon and see what the crowd looks like . But i bet lots of local parents with local kids that are off and perhaps 1 parent might have 4 different kids in tow hitting up the lesser rides as i think just Elementary schools are out this week, and i bet most leave around 3 pm.

Spring break in So Cal is all over the map. For the most part SFMM goes with LAUSD school schd and they go with Spring Break as April 10-14 ............other schools. heck even Santa Clarita cant get kids on same break with William Hart Schools (high schools) Spring Break is April 4-7 and Newhall School District (elem schools) break is March 27 - April 7th . Then we rove around and Antelope Valley was last week March 20 - 24th ...... Ventura is 4/3-4/7............. CSUN was 3/20-3/26 ............. And Cerritos is April 17 - April 21 ........ So when is Spring Break??? ....... Its your call

I will go to SFMM later this afternoon and see what the crowd looks like . But i bet lots of local parents with local kids that are off and perhaps 1 parent might have 4 different kids in tow hitting up the lesser rides as i think just Elementary schools are out this week, and i bet most leave around 3 pm.

well then, it should be pretty dead. yeah, please let us know how it is. i'll probably sneak up there if it's pretty dead.

Generally . . . .

Newhall Schools get two weeks off for spring break!

In Michigan, most schools have either 3/27-3/31 (Northern Michigan and the UP) or 4/3-4/7 (the rest of the state) as spring break. Detroit Public is 4/14-4/21.

Generally . . . .

Newhall Schools get two weeks off for spring break!

In Michigan, most schools have either 3/27-3/31 (Northern Michigan and the UP) or 4/3-4/7 (the rest of the state) as spring break. Detroit Public is 4/14-4/21.

Just returned from SFMM for Monday 3/27. Pretty good sized crowd and way more than i would have guessed. Also saw 8 school buses and rule of thumb is if 8 buses stayed 16 didn't and just dropped off. So those 24 buses sort of have hidden crowd of 1,200 extra bodies that dont show with depth of cars parked. Most rides seemed in 20/30 minute wait times (not counting Rev)

. Windy as holy crap so might impact some rides.

Also worth noting: lines for VR Revolution were consistently an hour-plus...

This is absurd.

Batman was great, but it did in my parents. They assigned us the back row and wouldn't let us wait for the front, so we definitely got the most intense experience. I was a little dizzy afterward myself!

This is ridiculous. There is NO evidence that line speeds increase by refusing to let someone wait to sit where they want to sit. Period. I know, because I've worked at several parks and as such always let people sit wherever they wanted if requested. As a ride operator, the GUEST PAID to come to the park, it is my job to make sure they have a GREAT TIME. If they don't come, I don't have a job. Now, if the line for the front backs up a bit, you do YOUR JOB and get them on one side of the queue, while you pull people up in line from behind them. Eventually the front line gets so long nobody wants to wait, and it all evens out.

It is absurd to not let someone who PAYS TO GET INTO THE PARK sit where they want.

My brother had no interest in doing Goldrusher or SEFK, so I was the only one on those. Goldrusher was surprisingly jerky, not rough per se, but there were a few spots where I hit the side of the car and kicked the bar at my feet...so much for coat hanger engineering! Superman's line ended right at the entrance where a 90-minute wait was posted, but it ended up only about 40 or so. It was neat for sure, but not top 10 or worth a ride every visit.

Goldrusher can be jerky, but that's old engineering for ya! That last helix is still pretty fun. And Superman is probably one of the most overrated coasters with one of the more intimidating structures. I don't wait more than 15 minutes for that anymore.

...paying for a 1ocker on Goliath only to find everyone else leaving their bags in the station come to mind!

Classic Six Flags Magic Mountain right here.

So wait: can you not ride Revolution without the VR?

It's still optional of course, but as far as I know, you have to wait in the line like everybody else. They had a Single Rider Line a while back (which was basically a non-VR line), but unless they recently replaced it, it's not there anymore.

Again, absurd. Ridiculous. It's like they go out of their way to make the experiences for some of their guests as miserable as possible. If they are consistently sending trains with empty seats there is no, NO reason to not have a separate line for non-VR riders. As soon as I heard of the VR installation I cringed and I cannot wait for it to get canned.

It is absurd to not let someone who PAYS TO GET INTO THE PARK sit where they want.

Truer words have never been spoken.

SFMM groupers don't understand this. Doing this would probably over complicate their brains. These aren't Disneyland operators.

Superman is probably one of the most overrated coasters with one of the more intimidating structures. I don't wait more than 15 minutes for that anymore.

This seems to be an unpopular opinion but I completely agree with you. It's barely even worth the walk up the hill for me.