TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Tatsu up!

YEAH!!! That's awesome! Has Ninja been operating today? How crowded is the park? Any tips for a first timer?

I'm in the exact same boat as you, planning to be there on the 19th and this will be a big vacation for me, I will rarely get the chance to come here again.

Well Tatsu is now operating - thanks to coasternut for posting - so that's great news on my end. In looking at the operating schedule it appears that SFMM is preparing to be open for spring break starting the weekend after you and I will be there... so hopefully that means low crowds for us. I won't be back at the park for another decade or more so am really looking forward to getting on as much as I can. I need to search this thread a little bit to see if I can find the recommended ride order for visiting the park!

My brother works as a ride op at SFMM; he is scheduled for Tatsu fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo and ride attendant tomorrow and next Sunday, respectively. So it will be open on 3/19.

Hey, thanks! That's great to know!

Tatsu up!

YEAH!!! That's awesome! Has Ninja been operating today? How crowded is the park? Any tips for a first timer?

I'm in the exact same boat as you, planning to be there on the 19th and this will be a big vacation for me, I will rarely get the chance to come here again.

Well Tatsu is now operating - thanks to coasternut for posting - so that's great news on my end. In looking at the operating schedule it appears that SFMM is preparing to be open for spring break starting the weekend after you and I will be there... so hopefully that means low crowds for us. I won't be back at the park for another decade or more so am really looking forward to getting on as much as I can. I need to search this thread a little bit to see if I can find the recommended ride order for visiting the park!

Yes, Ninja was operating today. Batman is back to 2 train operation finally. 2 1/2 parking lots were full today, with several buses of kids there too, so it was busy. This was especially true of the restaurants. With so many of them closed due to the renovation of the area for Justice League, the lines were huge all day.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon. Glad to hear Batman is running two trains again. It was still down to one train when I went two weeks ago, so I skipped it. Hopefully it won't be crowded, but I'm definitely going to hit up Tatsu! I sure missed it.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it won't be crowded, but I'm definitely going to hit up Tatsu!

My bet is that it will be crowded as the weather is 80/90 range and worst of all its a Bring A Friend Free day.

Be aware that at base of the hill leading to Six Flags that the Water company has been working trying to fix a leak for about a week now.

Best play if your coming from the north is to exit at Rye Canyon rd and work your way on the Old Road and just make a rt onto MMP up the hill to SFMM. If your coming from the south might get off at Valencia Blvd and come down Old Road and make left up MMP to SFMM.

Of course maybe they wont work on Sunday and its a non issue. bottom line... it will be crowded.... I will see ya there.

But now with a new CEO and SF wanting to reduce capex, we could see more copy and paste attractions at MM starting with this year's JL.

I get that yes it's a JL but MM is getting a larger extended version so it's not really a cookie cutter addition.

Tatsu up!

Apparently it's supposed to be a 3/4 on crowdedness and 30 degrees so we already bought the 2 platinum passes. Even if it does end up being not crowded at least we get to ride all the rides even more, especially rides like x2 and twisted colossus where we only get 1 scheduled ride.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Yikes PACKED TODAY Sunday THE 12TH.

Cars parked deep into the gravel.

Took one look at that and called it a day.

One final BAFF for current offer is next Sunday the 19th, then back to normal.

Congrats to all that survived today.

Like a fool I stayed all day today. Yes, the crowds were brutal. Everything had HUGE WAITS. According to their app late in the day, the shortest "thrill ride" had a wait of 70 minutes. Almost all were the 90+ minutes which is as high as it goes. No buses today, just a lot of cars and friends.

Like a fool I stayed all day today. Yes, the crowds were brutal. Everything had HUGE WAITS. According to their app late in the day, the shortest "thrill ride" had a wait of 70 minutes. Almost all were the 90+ minutes which is as high as it goes. No buses today, just a lot of cars and friends.

Even though Cedar Point gets crowded, I've never seen EVERY RIDE there have hour plus waits at the same time

It's easy for a ride to have a 70 minute wait when you're doing about 300 people/hour

I've never waited more than 30 minutes for Gatekeeper because they'll routinely pump out 1600+ an hour. The average day at Cedar Point has more guests than the average day at Magic Mountain.

It's easy for a ride to have a 70 minute wait when you're doing about 300 people/hour

I've never waited more than 30 minutes for Gatekeeper because they'll routinely pump out 1600+ an hour. The average day at Cedar Point has more guests than the average day at Magic Mountain.

Every ride there does better than 300/hr with 2 trains running.

Does anybody have capacity estimates for the coasters at Six Flags Magic Mountain? I'm just curious.

Like others have said above, yesterday was PACKED!!

It was a bad day for Tatsu. When my bro showed up for work (and I showed up to ride coasters) in the afternoon, Tatsu was only running one train and had a 3-4 hour wait. I'm not sure whether the park is still refurbing the other train, or they were just short-staffed. My bro didn't know, either, because his job was just to stand at the bottom of the stairs, scan Flash Passes, and deal with park guests who were outraged at the fact that the people with Flash Passes were allowed to go ahead of them. That one train finally broke down at about 6:30, and the ride closed for the rest of the day.

Goliath and X2 also broke down several times yesterday, but they were revived and were still running when I left the park. Green Lantern closed soon after I arrived, and I didn't see it run anything other than empty test trains for the rest of the day. With the opening of Roaring Rapids, Jet Stream was closed yesterday. All the big-ticket rides had queue lines stretching out the gates.

On days like this, Twisted Colossus is my go-to ride. It typically runs 3 trains, and the ride ops move as quickly as they can to dispatch trains. Even though the line stretched almost all the way down to Scream, I only waited an hour, and my train was able to race both times around.

It ended up being one of only two rides I made yesterday - the other being Viper, which was surprisingly crowded. The Viper and Scream crews also dispatched trains quickly. Viper dispatched new trains as soon as the other train cleared the corkscrews; Scream was slightly slower, dispatching a new train when the other train stopped just behind the station.

Full Throttle seemed to be short-staffed. After the park closure announcement came over the loudspeaker, the ride attendant closed the "gate", but nobody stood there to make sure people didn't hop the fence and get on the ride - which, of course, they did.

Days like this are a love-hate thing for me. While I hate dealing with crowds and long lines, it makes it that much more satisfying when I finally make it on the ride - especially if it's back seat on TC or X2.

Does anybody have capacity estimates for the coasters at Six Flags Magic Mountain? I'm just curious.

I believe Wikipedia does.

Edited by joelwee

^ AFAIK, Six Flags isn't converting any of their stand-ups to floorless.

I really hope not. Riddler is arguably the best stand-up out there and should stay that way for a while. If Six Flags wanted to convert Green Lantern or Apocalypse, they can be my guest, but Riddler and Scorcher should really stay stand-ups.

I'm not totally sure how I feel about the yellow supports on Riddler (according to concept art). I just see it becoming a faded mess in a few years like Tatsu. Faded yellow looks far worse than faded black. Oh well, at least it's getting some love.

If Six Flags wanted to convert Green Lantern or Apocalypse, they can be my guest, but Riddler and Scorcher should really stay stand-ups.

Green Lantern would certainly be interesting as a stand-up — especially with the center of gravity located at the riders' feet.

If Six Flags wanted to convert Green Lantern or Apocalypse, they can be my guest, but Riddler and Scorcher should really stay stand-ups.

Green Lantern would certainly be interesting as a stand-up — especially with the center of gravity located at the riders' feet.

I was referring to the stand-up coasters at SFGAdv and SFA, not the wooden coaster and Intamin ZacSpin in the same park Sorry for not being clear...

Green Lantern would make a great floorless, and so would Riddler's if you ask me. But too many people seem to like Riddler's as is, so I'd be surprised if they changed it any time soon.

Do you think SFMM is going to start marketing Riddler's as "Only stand-up coaster in the West!" now that Vortex is converted to Patriot?