TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Tatsu is supposed to be open by the first weekend in March but I don't know if they have been delayed or not.

Knowing MM, it probably won't reopen until mid-late March. Still seems like they have a lot of work to get done considering that the trains are still nowhere to be seen and the lift hill is still in pieces by the Sky Tower. Also, don't forget about test runs.

Wait so tatsu will be down? I didn't like the B&M flyer at SFGADv but apparently tatsu is off the charts.

I'm not a big Superman fan either... it's good, but I wouldn't wait more than 20 minutes for it and rarely ride it outside of HITP. Tatsu is absolute greatness. When we went a few years ago (before Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus) it was our favorite ride in the park by a mile.

Hopefully it opens up for you.

Hello all.

I'm heading to MM in June, but I only have one day at the park. I have an all-parks season pass, so admission is no cost for me. However, would a Flash Pass be worth it to ride all the coasters, and is there anything else I should do while I am there? Also, what level Flash Pass should I get?

Wait so tatsu will be down? I didn't like the B&M flyer at SFGADv but apparently tatsu is off the charts.

I'm not a big Superman fan either... it's good, but I wouldn't wait more than 20 minutes for it and rarely ride it outside of HITP. Tatsu is absolute greatness. When we went a few years ago (before YOLOcoaster and Twisted Colossus) it was our favorite ride in the park by a mile.

Hopefully it opens up for you.

I can attest to this. I first rode Tatsu in 2006 and until last year it was my only B&M flyer when I went to SFGADv (I had also ridden a couple Vekoma flyers). I love Tatsu and make sure to try to get multiple rides every time I'm there. I rode Superman once last year and thought it was pretty boring in comparison. So yeah hopefully it opens back up close to the scheduled date.

Hello all.

I'm heading to MM in June, but I only have one day at the park. I have an all-parks season pass, so admission is no cost for me. However, would a Flash Pass be worth it to ride all the coasters, and is there anything else I should do while I am there? Also, what level Flash Pass should I get?

Platinum, and add X2 for an additional fee. The only non coaster rides I bother with are Lex Luthor and Jet Stream, both of which are on Flash Pass.

Hey guys we are finalizing the trip, we realized 5 platinum passes is way too much money (especially in CAD) and 3 of us will not need to ride EVERY ride. If we decide to get the 3 regular flash passes for them, how would that when we meet up? And realistically how long lines are we expecting march 19th on the Sunday?

Last question, are the flash passes transferable? Lets say for example 2 people really want to ride a ride, but the other 2 people are the ones that have the platinum, can they pass them over and trade for that period of time?

This system is very confusing and they don't have any people on the phone...

^ No worries, there's a lot you don't know until you've used one. It's not going to be transferrable. The technology is really very simple. It only knows how many people are on a reservation, not who those people are. However, you also get a wristband, and you can't take it off or you invalidate the benefits. Six Flags doesn't want people paying regular Flash Pass prices and receiving Platinum Pass benefits, and I don't blame them. I would be upset if I bought a very expensive Platinum Flash Pass, and then someone who paid a third of what I did got the same benefits.

As for meeting up, that's not a problem. The Flash Pass will tell you before you reserve how long the wait will be. If the line is 60 minutes, then the regular Flash Pass will say 60 minutes and the Platinum will say 6 minutes, because it reduces by 90%. So all you have to do is make your Platinum reservation when the wait time equals the remaining time on your regular Flash Pass. Enter the Flash Pass queue together, have the ride op scan both Flash Passes, and you're riding.

^ No worries, there's a lot you don't know until you've used one. It's not going to be transferrable. The technology is really very simple. It only knows how many people are on a reservation, not who those people are. However, you also get a wristband, and you can't take it off or you invalidate the benefits. Six Flags doesn't want people paying regular Flash Pass prices and receiving Platinum Pass benefits, and I don't blame them. I would be upset if I bought a very expensive Platinum Flash Pass, and then someone who paid a third of what I did got the same benefits.

As for meeting up, that's not a problem. The Flash Pass will tell you before you reserve how long the wait will be. If the line is 60 minutes, then the regular Flash Pass will say 60 minutes and the Platinum will say 6 minutes, because it reduces by 90%. So all you have to do is make your Platinum reservation when the wait time equals the remaining time on your regular Flash Pass. Enter the Flash Pass queue together, have the ride op scan both Flash Passes, and you're riding.

OK and what is the grace period for redeeming (how long do I have to redeem the reservation until it expires)

OK and what is the grace period for redeeming (how long do I have to redeem the reservation until it expires)

There's no expiration.

Here's a status photo I took today of Tatsu. The lift assembly is still on the ground near the Sky Tower. See for yourself...

Hey it looks like they finally assembled the motor. But I'm still gonna say that Tatsu won't be opening until late March or early April at the earliest.Btw, does anybody know what's happening with Apocolypse right now. It's been closed for almost three months now with no visible work being done to it?

Here's a status photo I took today of Tatsu. The lift assembly is still on the ground near the Sky Tower. See for yourself...

Hey it looks like they finally assembled the motor. But I'm still gonna say that Tatsu won't be opening until late March or early April at the earliest.Btw, does anybody know what's happening with Apocolypse right now. It's been closed for almost three months now with no visible work being done to it?

They're saving money. That's what's happening.

I saw a pic last week on IG of them doing track work on Apocalypse

So it is a legitimate rehab. At parks like SFMM, do coasters go down for major (i.e. months long) rehabs every year or do they take turns (with small fixes every year and a major rehab every few years)?

They could still very easily put Tatsu's motor back this week and have it up soon, but it does seem like they have been delayed. The original timeline was to have Tatsu up early March but that was before they even started work on the coaster so who knows what has transpired since then.

Apocalypse is down for some retracking. Apparently one of the trains was doing some pretty extensive damage to the track and now they are trying to fix it.

I saw a pic last week on IG of them doing track work on Apocalypse

So it is a legitimate rehab. At parks like SFMM, do coasters go down for major (i.e. months long) rehabs every year or do they take turns (with small fixes every year and a major rehab every few years)?

i think MM has a different definition of legitimate rehab compared to other parks.

Apocalypse is very rough, even after last year's retracking. But honestly, it doesn't bother me that much because (1) it's a wooden coaster, and with wooden coasters comes a certain degree of roughness over steel coasters; (2) it's themed as an escape train from the scavengers. Do you think an escape train during the apocalypse would be smooth?

That said, it is one of SFMM's few airtime machines and I can't wait until it reopens.

It attracts crowds during the day, but people tend to avoid Apocalypse as soon as the sun goes down (maybe because it's in a dark corner in the very back of the park?)

Riding 4-5 rounds on Apocalypse and then on Viper will leave your head spinning, but if roughness doesn't bother you, they are both great rides.

My most recent ride on Apoc was 2 years ago. It is certainly one of the worst, if not the very worst, GCI's. I am truly not certain if it was any better than Wildcat or Gwazi (before that closed). While the latter two did have more roughness, Apoc suffers from having stronger laterals, which can become brutal very easily.

Before it got rough, I would say that the layout was okay. Not really GCI's best, but fine for what it was. Now it has kind of lost its specialness with the addition of Twisted Colossus.

When Apocalypse first opened, it was great! That continued for several years after. It was in my top 10 woodies. I used to be able to "marathon" the ride especially at the end of the day, since there wasn't any line. Now, I don't even ride it anymore. The pounding is just too much for me. I've said this before, inside both tunnels the ride is smooth.

It's a shame. I just guess it's the the jinx of the Psyclone corner of the park.

None of this surprises me. It's SFMM lol. The maintenance could be so much better across the board at this park. Apocalypse was awesome when it first opened. Had it been open on my trip there recently, I would have checked it out, unfortunately, like with all of the rides in maintenance there, it was closed and had been for a considerable amount of time.