TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^^^ In addition to the website listing of closures, there are signs at the ticket booths that tell you what rides are closed. Lots of work going on at the park, so many closures. Also the weather plays a part in closures, especially Superman.

You locals can have your six flags magic mountain. Growing up there and loving it, it makes me so sad the condition it's in.

To go visit for the first time in years and take someone special with me that I wanted to share the park I grew up with... we had all the same closures, and the cleanliness just isn't present. We had fun... but both agreed... never again. I looked on their site for ride closures and couldn't find them listed.

I looked on their site for ride closures and couldn't find them listed.

Planned ride closures tend to be visible in their attraction list. Closures from weather won't be on the website, as those can change at any time.

If you get separate flash passes, you'll need to make separate reservations. The passes will each need to be scanned by an employee, but at that point you just join the regular line (for most rides), so no problem riding together. For the ones where you enter at the exit, just ask the person scanning your flash passes, and they should generally let you ride together. You're paying for the service after all. If they say no, they say no, but in my experience they will allow it if possible.

Sorry to tack on another question since you mentioned FP... how much is the additional fee to add on x2 with a gold flash pass?

I hate how twisted colossus is limited to one reservation... does this ever vary and sometimes you get more than one reservation? (I know SFGAM sometimes alters reservation numbers for Goliath and said limited availability on the website (luckily not on the day we went and had unlimited reservations).

Any other flash pass advice? I'd be going on a Saturday at the end of September and would probably want multiple rides on Twisted Colossus, X2 and full throttle, the rest of the rides would probably be one and done... then again I havnt been to the park in about 12 years so the newer rides I know nothing about.

Thanks!

You locals can have your six flags magic mountain. Growing up there and loving it, it makes me so sad the condition it's in.

To go visit for the first time in years and take someone special with me that I wanted to share the park I grew up with... we had all the same closures, and the cleanliness just isn't present. We had fun... but both agreed... never again. I looked on their site for ride closures and couldn't find them listed.

It is the off-season. Ride closure are expected being it's a year-round park.

And while the park is far from perfect, I think it's in WAY better condition now than it was 5 years ago. The park has made some good moves recently.

And while the park is far from perfect, I think it's in WAY better condition now than it was 5 years ago. The park has made some good moves recently.

Totally agree but I just wish that the park expanded their maintenance team beacuse it's a real bummer when Bateman is on one train ops when it's line is well over an hour long.

Totally agree but I just wish that the park expanded their maintenance team beacuse it's a real bummer when Bateman is on one train ops when it's line is well over an hour long.

I waited 3 hours for X2 last Sunday. An hour into the wait, we found out they were only running one train. If I had known that before I got in line, I wouldn't have waited. But by that point, I had already invested too much time to leave.

I applied and got a discover card just so I could use the discover card entrance and apparently there is no discover card entrance right now. LAME. Anyone know when they actually have this entrance? Its on their website

I have been reading this thread and was wondering if overall the bring a friend free days have been uber crowded like the February day last year or have they added more days this year so the bring a friend free days crowds are more spread out?

I used to come to the park a bunch growing up but once I started having kids in 2001 I didn't go much. Did Disney and Universal and for awhile but now I have some kids who are in to the thrill rides again. Those other parks are more themed experinces that cost much more, more of a destination park where as magic mountain is a regional thrill park. I am more of a thrill ride junky and would prefer to go to magic mountain and it's just a bonus that is so much dang cheaper. I haven't been to parks outside of So Cal so I can't consider myself much of an enthusiast but I do have a desire to visit other parks hopefully soon. Enthusiast often seem to come off to me as sort of snobs. I don't skip any rides because they are too rough, I am not that wimpy. Sure some are rougher than others but I'm not riding for smoothness I am riding for thrills. X2 is my favorite and I think it is simply too intense for some enthusiasts....I mean sure I occasionally bang my legs towards the end of the ride but big flipping deal, it didn't hurt or leave a bruise or anything. Its just a wild insane ride with an epic first drop that does insane aerial acrobatic maneuvers, it's as close to skydiving as I have gotten and I love it.

^ What bothers me is the fact that the park doesn't post wait times in front of their attractions. So when debating whether to get in line for a ride, you have no clue whether they're just stacking the line or whether they're running one or two trains on the ride, thus not allowing you to accurately predict the wait time. Don't see why it's so hard for them to just put a digital screen in front of each ride that displays the wait time. I mean Disneyland and USH already have this. And don't even get me started on their app...

^ The problem is you're comparing Disneyland and Universal to SFMM and asking them to have an even remotely similar guest experience. It'll never happen. Even if SFMM had digital signs with wait times at the line entrances, they'd be wrong more often than right making them completely useless.

Even if SFMM had digital signs with wait times at the line entrances, they'd be wrong more often than right making them completely useless.

I take this back. I got a flash pass once a few years ago and from what I remember, that had the current ride status and wait times and it was pretty accurate. So yes, they could display it at line entrances.

^ As for the app, unless they've updated it recently they don't display wait times.

It is the off-season. Ride closure are expected being it's a year-round park.

Fully agree. There were a lot of surprisingly busy days last year — largely due to what the park has done with annual passes — but the place is generally pretty solid now compared to a few other parks as well as what it was in the past. Visiting during the SoCal version of off-season — especially if you're traveling from outside of the area — isn't the best plan.

^ What bothers me is the fact that the park doesn't post wait times in front of their attractions. So when debating whether to get in line for a ride, you have no clue whether they're just stacking the line or whether they're running one or two trains on the ride, thus not allowing you to accurately predict the wait time. Don't see why it's so hard for them to just put a digital screen in front of each ride that displays the wait time. I mean Disneyland and USH already have this. And don't even get me started on their app...

Does the park not have an app that displays wait times? Great Adventure does and it's usually fairly accurate.

It does, but it's not very good. Often, it seems that the times entered are totally arbitrary, and it usually shows the same time for every ride — no matter what the queue is like. I believe it came up in different thread, but someone pointed out that wait times are updated by an assigned ride ops and therefore they run into some of the same budget / staffing problems that limit train operation. It's an imperfect system that could certainly stand to be improved — especially at SFMM given the crowds they pull. A few strategic webcams might help too.

While it's certainly not true of all rides at the park, it can be very hard to gauge just how long a line will be. You can usually get a sense of how many trains are running just by watching for a few minutes, but with rides like Goliath, X2, and Apocalypse, you never know what kind of wait you're dealing with until you're already in the queue.

^Were you involved, or did you just pull over to take a picture?

^ As for the app, unless they've updated it recently they don't display wait times.

You have to enter your season pass into the app in order to see wait times. Even then, you can't see the wait times unless you're in the park, and they're not always accurate.

^Were you involved, or did you just pull over to take a picture?

You have to enter your season pass into the app in order to see wait times. Even then, you can't see the wait times unless you're in the park, and they're not always accurate.

Photo was pulled via Twitter from KCBS LA.

thanks

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the info. I never bothered to enter my season pass into the app.