TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So, apparently, The Coaster Guy received word from SFMM that they have no current plans to demolish Viper.

It's not like they would share their plans before they are ready anyways, so this is the least shocking thing. If it's going to happen, the announcement wouldn't come until much closer to September's annual corporate ride announcement...

So, apparently, The Coaster Guy received word from SFMM that they have no current plans to demolish Viper.

It's not like they would share their plans before they are ready anyways, so this is the least shocking thing. If it's going to happen, the announcement wouldn't come until much closer to September's annual corporate ride announcement...

Agreed. This doesn't mean a thing to me other than we'll have Viper and Ninja for at least another summer. History shows neither of these rides will be around forever.

Here today, X2 got a late start operating. Looks like the same for Superman. What ride should I head to next? Is New Revolution a good idea or should I come back to it after Goliath. If Twisted Colossus has a single rider line, I should be able to put that one off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Here today, X2 got a late start operating. Looks like the same for Superman. What ride should I head to next? Is New Revolution a good idea or should I come back to it after Goliath. If Twisted Colossus has a single rider line, I should be able to put that one off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Unless it was just recently added, Twisted Colossus does not have a single rider line. But it has a great capacity with 3 trains going so you're probably fine putting it off.

Colossus did have a single rider line until they got rid of assigned seating. To be honest the day I was there (a Summer Saturday the year it opened) the line from the station entrance at full took less then 30 minutes, that crew was hauling.

As for Viper, I see it getting the same treatment Ninja did if that turns out to be a success. I found Viper to be a breath of fresh air from the big style loopers. The back to back loops including the turn into them are very forceful even with trims. The only part I found rough by any means was the trims after the batwing, they bite hard. It made the corkscrews a little awkward to say the least. You can put me down for team Viper. As for the rumor, it's just that, a rumor that sounds like it has gone on for years and years. Will it disappear eventually? Yes, but so will many other coasters. If there is a WCB this year (the people only get stupider), you can bet if I get a chance to attend, I will be there and Viper is on my list of must rides.

It's only true if it come straight from the Dippin Dots guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they could place new soft-vest trains on Viper and market it as a new attraction? Or better yet, Phantom's Revenge the thing!

(Remember the time before RMC hybrids were a thing and everyone's dream was for a particular coaster to get the Phantom's Revenge treatment?)

Maybe they could place new soft-vest trains on Viper and market it as a new attraction? Or better yet, Phantom's Revenge the thing!

(Remember the time before RMC hybrids were a thing and everyone's dream was for a particular coaster to get the Phantom's Revenge treatment?)

No because I was like 6 but that sounds like heaven!

I'm kind of surprised other Arrow Coasters in the chain didn't get an upgrade for 2017 like SFOG did for Ninja in 2016.

I would honestly love to ride Viper with the soft vest restraints. I'm just not sure that any investment in Viper would be wise seeing as Magic Mountain is not the type of park where the old Arrow looper is still one of the upper tier attractions. But hey, who knows, maybe they will turn Viper into an Aquatrax giga.

^ But by renovating Viper, it could make it more popular than what it currently is.

By adding VR to Viper, it could make it more popular than what it currently is.

You know what? Replacing Viper with Dueling Super Loops sounds nice, too.

^ But by renovating Viper, it could make it more popular than what it currently is.

Exactly, if they give it the same treatment as Ninja/Blue Hawk at SFOG (new trains with soft restraints), I bet it would get a lot more ridership. The main complaint I hear from people is head-banging, so the new trains would do away with that. I actually still enjoy Viper and ride it every time I visit. I have a lot of fond memories riding it from my childhood as Viper was THE coaster at the park (at least until Batman opened in 1994). Of course I would love to see it replaced with a Giga or a dive machine, but I'm on board with a rehab if that doesn't happen.

Edited by VegasBaby

I don't have a problem with headbanging on Viper, and I actually quite enjoy it. That said, I'd be on board with a Phantom's Revenge-style renovation.

BTW, does anybody else really like the sound of Viper's anti-rollback system, or is it just me?

That is one mod that I wouldn't support. Personally, I think VR on roller coasters is dumb, and the VR on Revolution gives me motion sickness. I prefer to ride it without VR goggles.

I don't have a problem with headbanging on Viper, and I actually quite enjoy it. That said, I'd be on board with a Phantom's Revenge-style renovation.

BTW, does anybody else really like the sound of Viper's anti-rollback system, or is it just me?

That is one mod that I wouldn't support. Personally, I think VR on roller coasters is dumb, and the VR on Revolution gives me motion sickness. I prefer to ride it without VR goggles.

I'd love a Phantom's Revenge style re-do, though I find it hard to believe Six Flags would invest that kinda $$$ with no guaranteed ROI. I could see a Blue Hawk style revamp though. Maybe a new color, and more than likely VR to help promote it.

And I love Viper's anti-roll back noise, that classic Arrow lift hill sound. New trains would probably take that sound away, much like Revolution's new trains have muted the spooky Schwarzkopf sound