TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hey everyone,

So our biggest priorites when we visit tomorrow are YOLOcoaster, Twisted Colossus, X2, and Tatsu, and a non negotiable ride (like we have to do it) is Superman.

I'm afraid I've got some bad news. Superman's entire plaza was closed off yesterday. I imagine they're doing maintenance on it at the same time as Drop of Doom. It's likely it'll be closed again tomorrow.

It was down yesterday because of rain on Saturday. If it doesn't rain it should be open tomorrow.

Oh, alright. I wonder why they needed a full day to get it back up, unless the wind was just too violent for it.

It takes a long time for the tracks to dry, so if we get a good downpour it usually closes for a day to dry off.

Hey everyone,

Superman.

I'm afraid I've got some bad news. Superman's entire plaza was closed off yesterday. I imagine they're doing maintenance on it at the same time as Drop of Doom. It's likely it'll be closed again tomorrow.

Monday Jan 2nd, 2017 Superman was wide open and looked great against the treating snow clouds. Cold as heck out here and cars parking 12 rows deep in gravel and all the while the park is only open until 6pm... YIKES!!!!!

[quote name=

Monday Jan 2nd' date=' 2017 Superman was wide open and looked great against the treating snow clouds. Cold as heck out here and cars parking 12 rows deep in gravel and all the while the park is only open until 6pm... YIKES!!!!![/quote]

They just extended park hours for today so no longer a hard closing for 6pm, its now 7pm.

It takes a long time for the tracks to dry, so if we get a good downpour it usually closes for a day to dry off.

I'm curious on this one. . . But why does it take Superman's track any longer to dry off than any other roller coaster??

^ It has to do with the propulsion system. After a rain, it may be several days before it opens. It has nothing to do with the maintenance currently going on Lex.

Also from what I've heard the Rev VR is going away on the 3rd which is Tuesday. We'll see. It can't go fast enough as far as I'm concerned...

^ Well, I've seen the Japanese ride ops wiping down coaster track, after a rainfall, etc. in Japan parks.

Possible here? Just suggesting.... (Of course I know this is an entirely complex track system. But still.)

It looks like I'm in the minority; I'd be disappointed (though not surprised) if Viper is scrapped. It's no longer the biggest and baddest looping coaster around, but I enjoy it. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem any rougher than Riddler or Scream. The fact that nobody goes on it means I can ride it 2-3 times in a row.

I'm not sure about Revolution or Superman (I'm assuming Superman is back open because it wasn't really raining yesterday or today), but today barely filled the first section of the lot and was pretty dead, so it shouldn't be much busier tomorrow.

Oh and the ride vehicles are back on Lex. I might be late to that party though...

Hey guys! Any locals willing to help me with my trip to Magic Mountain?

So you know, I'll be visiting Magic Mountain on the second Wednesday of June, which is the 14th

1. I've been looking at it a lot, but what is the best way to hit all the coasters in one day? The only thing I need is Twisted Colossus be the 8th coaster I hit, because the 8th coaster I hit at Magic Mountain will be my 100th.

2. For the best experience/smoothest experience, any "magic" seats on roller coasters I should know about?

So you know, I'll be visiting Magic Mountain on the second Wednesday of June, which is the 14th

1. I've been looking at it a lot, but what is the best way to hit all the coasters in one day? The only thing I need is Twisted Colossus be the 8th coaster I hit, because the 8th coaster I hit at Magic Mountain will be my 100th.

2. For the best experience/smoothest experience, any "magic" seats on roller coasters I should know about?

1. I would recommend getting to the park before opening and heading straight to X2 as soon as possible. Even though this is what most of the general public does, that line gets absolutely ridiculous in the summer. Most people say it dies off by 3-4pm, but I have never once seen the line shorter later in the day than it was right in the morning when heading straight there. After X2, I would head up the hill and do Tatsu (prepare for a line), Ninja, and Superman. Then I would head down the opposite side and do Gold Rusher, Apocalypse, and then head over to Batman. Skip Riddler's Revenge and Green Lantern for the time being since both of those rides have a single rider line. By then you will have ridden 7 coasters, so if making TC your 100th is that important, I would then go to that. After TC, you then have several options. If I were you, I would do Scream, Goliath, Full Throttle, Revolution, and Viper (looping around the front of the park). After Viper, you can then go back and catch all the rides with single rider lines (RR, GL, Lex Luthor). If you can, I would highly recommend a Flash Pass. They are a little pricey, but they make your day a zillion times less stressful and more fun.

2. X2: I would try to sit as far back as possible (which is actually near the front since you enter backwards, so one of the first rows to exit the station) on an inside seat. X2 can be very temperamental, and sometimes the inside seat vs. outside seat is a big difference. Just keep your legs against the seat and your head forward and you should have fun.

Tatsu: Any seat is fine. It's a flying coaster, so every row is the front row obviously. The back is more intense on the drop and the pretzel loop, but the front has some advantages too. I personally prefer the back.

Superman: One great advantage of the trains now going backwards is that the shortest line is now for the front row. The front row on this ride is pretty much it's saving grace since you get a major face lift on the way down. Other than that, every other seat is just "meh."

Ninja: Anywhere. It's pretty much all the same. The front has more swing on some of the turns though.

Gold Rusher: The very back car on this ride is the hidden gem of the park IMO. The ride essentially has no restraints, so you get thrown around like crazy in the back car.

Apocalypse: It's terrible everywhere. Go for the shortest line and get outta there ASAP.

Batman: Like most B&M Inverts, the very front and very back are the best. One for the views and freedom, the other for intensity.

Twisted Colossus: The front! The back is great too, but the front has some fantastic airtime going over all the hills.

Scream: I tend to find the very front to be the smoothest seat with a full train, but it's a rough ride everywhere.

Goliath: I prefer the back for the whip over the drops, but the front is fun when stalling on the drop after the MCBR.

Full Throttle: Back, back, BACK! The final drop at the end is INSANE in the back.

Revolution: Not sure if VR will be there in June, so I would initially recommend the front for the views. But the trains are short, so it doesn't matter much.

Viper: I love the front for the intense entrances to the loops and the strong air hopping into the MCBR, and it tends to be the smoothest seat from my experience.

Riddler's Revenge: The inside two seats of any row tend to be smoother and feel "more heartlined" than the outer two seats. I haven't noticed much different front-to-back.

Green Lantern: I absolutely love this ride when I have a crazy unbalanced car, but some people can't handle that intensity and prefer to have a more balanced car. Up to you, but either way, it's a crazy ride.

Lex Luthor: Doesn't matter at all.

Sorry for the long answer. Hopefully I gave some useful advice and wasn't just babbling.

I like the answer you already got. I am going to second what was said about going immediately to X2.

I know people don't like to do this... but if you are going during the summer and you actually want to make it on to every ride, the only way that will be possible is with a flash pass.

Also, get there a good hour or so before opening for a good parking spot. At the end of the day, you're not going to want to walk forever back to your car through several lots or wait for a crowded tram lol. So if you can manage to get into the first lot, you can just walk back and leave a lot quicker than if you are several lots deep. It's really exhausting after walking around from open to close lol.

Hey everyone, looking for some advice. I'm planing a trip to SFMM this year and looking for the best time of year to go in terms of short lines and rides actually being open. Any time of year is an option.

I see daily operations start at the end of March. There are a couple weeks in there that the park is open till 9 during the week; I assume this is for spring break. I'm looking to go on probably a Wednesday and Thursday.

Should spring break those weeks with the longer hours be avoided due to spring break? Or is there another time of year that would be better?

I'm hoping for a day and a half at the park. I've been before but my trip buddy hasn't ever been so all the coasters need to be ridden at least once.

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, looking for some advice. I'm planing a trip to SFMM this year and looking for the best time of year to go in terms of short lines and rides actually being open. Any time of year is an option.

I see daily operations start at the end of March. There are a couple weeks in there that the park is open till 9 during the week; I assume this is for spring break. I'm looking to go on probably a Wednesday and Thursday.

Should spring break those weeks with the longer hours be avoided due to spring break? Or is there another time of year that would be better?

I'm hoping for a day and a half at the park. I've been before but my trip buddy hasn't ever been so all the coasters need to be ridden at least once.

Thanks in advance!

I recommend the second half of April through the first half of May on weekdays. Any weekday the Park's hours are 10:30-6 is a great day.

Thanks in advance!

I recommend the second half of April through the first half of May on weekdays. Any weekday the Park's hours are 10:30-6 is a great day.

This. I wouldn't go anywhere near SFMM during Spring Break. I did that once, completely regret it, and will never do it again.

For my first visit to SFMM ever this weekend I really benefited from the slightly rainy cool crappy weather. I'll do a full trip report after I go back tomorrow but here's the rides I got in today.

Goliath x4

Drop of Doom x1

Twisted Colossus x6

Scream x1

Batman x1

Gold Rusher x1

Ninja x1

Tatsu x2

Viper x1

X2 x1

New "Classic" Revolution x1

Full Throttle x1 (Opened later afternoon)

Riddler' Revenge was open but I noticed it breaking down on the lift twice so I skipped it.

Closed: Apocalypse, Green Lantern & Superman

^^^ I'm glad to hear Lex is back on line. I really missed it when I was there between Christmas and New Years. I"m guessing they're not working on Riddler because it'll be closed soon for the rework of that whole waterfront area. it's also due to the Justice League work too.