TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Random question with all the talk of how busy it is... Does Magic Mountain have an official capacity? Is there a point where they stop letting people in? And if you know, how does that cutoff point compare to other California parks?

It's a very large number. They reach parking capacity before the park reaches capacity, and the police department tends to just close off the entrance to the park when parking capacity is reached.

With all the cheap passes they sell it seems like it got close to that range the majority of the times I've been there this year the ques!!! lol but I'm not at all mad at that. I like to hear and see that the park is packed yeah it may suck waiting in the lines but in my mind a packed park hopefully leads to better services and new rides, attractions or Coasters

Edited by johnnyknottsville

^^^ Not sure what the cutoff number is. Yes, the lot fills up fast, and that's how I judge how busy it will be once everyone gets into the park. I have asked the question - what is a normal day attendance? The answer I've received was around 15,000. I'm sure today will be very busy since it's the last day of nice dry warm weather.

I don't know the true fire martial capacity of the park, but, like it has been stated previously, the parking lot capacity is actually the determining factor in Magic Mountain's attendance cap. The highest attended day this year was the second to last weekend of Fright Fest and that was about 36k for daily attendance. That's not even guests in park at one time, that's the overall day. So the highest number of guests you will ever see in park at one time is a bit less than that number.

That 36k number doesn't even touch the fire martial capacity for the park I'm sure. The nice thing about sitting on 260+ acres of land is that all of the midways don't get packed (unlike Disneyland) however the park certainly has its choke points. If they ever decided to expand their parking, they could definitely fit more people in the park. (Although even 20k is quite a crowded day at the park as it is...)

Also, average day in the summer ranges from 10-18k per day, with Saturdays being the large exception to that rule. Saturday is the one day a week where the park is almost guaranteed to have a sizeable crowd, so it's always a good idea to go any other day of the week.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The issue with Magic Mountain is simply location. It's not like Knott's or Disneyland in the middle of a major city that is open pretty much 365 days a year. Come October-March the park is semi-seasonal, so it is VERY tough for them to keep a consistent staff. For the past decade or two they've had a hard time consistently keeping employees around. Think about it, who wants to keep a job where they're only getting 20-30 hours per week, and works MAYBE Fri-Sun? As a teenager or college student, it's an inconvenience, you'd be better off finding a local restaurant job with tips. Add to the fact that they are NOT Cedar Point where people have pride in their jobs or look forward to being there during the summer and Magic Mountain finds itself in a unique situation.

So, come this time of year, they rarely staff properly. And when they do, maintenance doesn't coincide. And during the Summer when there is proper staff and all the rides are running at capacity...oh wait, that never happens at Magic Mountain.

Didn't renew my pass this year. Not sure when I ever will again.

The park was slammed yesterday - Friday. I left at 1:30 with 3 of my favorites down - Lex, Scream, Riddler. I came back in the evening and Scream and Riddler were running again. It took over 30 minutes to get dinner at 7pm at Chop Six.

Pouring this morning. Not sure if and when the park may open. I don't want to get drenched...

Pouring this morning. Not sure if and when the park may open. I don't want to get drenched...

Park was wide open this morning with 1/2 of first lot by 10am when rain was letting up and its clear as a bell out in Valencia rt now (noon fri). Should be a good day once ride techs get all the rain caused error codes clear.

^^ Get yourself a rain poncho (for next time).

They do work, if you treat them properly and don't tear, etc.

I've got one from Nagashima Spaland, is nearly ten years old, and still works!

p.s. Happy New Year, Magic Mountain!

I don't know the true fire martial capacity of the park, but, like it has been stated previously, the parking lot capacity is actually the determining factor in Magic Mountain's attendance cap. The highest attended day this year was the second to last weekend of Fright Fest and that was about 36k for daily attendance. That's not even guests in park at one time, that's the overall day. So the highest number of guests you will ever see in park at one time is a bit less than that number.

That 36k number doesn't even touch the fire martial capacity for the park I'm sure. The nice thing about sitting on 260+ acres of land is that all of the midways don't get packed (unlike Disneyland) however the park certainly has its choke points. If they ever decided to expand their parking, they could definitely fit more people in the park. (Although even 20k is quite a crowded day at the park as it is...)

Also, average day in the summer ranges from 10-18k per day, with Saturdays being the large exception to that rule. Saturday is the one day a week where the park is almost guaranteed to have a sizeable crowd, so it's always a good idea to go any other day of the week.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I thought the highest attended day this year was that free friend day at the end of February. I was there that day, and all the cars trying to go to the park caused a mile backup on both directions of I5. Parking capacity was reached by 2pm or so and everyone else was turned away. It was absolute insanity. Everything (including Gold Rusher) had lines out the entrance and food lines were at least an hour long in most places too.

I was at the park today. The parking lot looked about 2/3 full, not including the dirt lot.

Wait times weren't too bad, with the exception of Batman due to having one-train operation, and Full Throttle for being Full Throttle. Even Tatsu had about a 15-20 minute wait by 6:00. The ride operators seemed to be dispatching trains faster on the popular rides. Hopefully they can maintain this for future busy days this year.

Viper was a walk-on for most of the day. It wouldn't surprise me if the rumors of Viper being the next ride to be replaced turn out to be true. I'd miss it, but it's nearing 30 years old and isn't getting any smoother.

Overall, it was one of the better days I've had there recently and I'm excited to come back after Justice League opens.

I was at the park today. The parking lot looked about 2/3 full, not including the dirt lot.

Wait times weren't too bad, with the exception of Batman due to having one-train operation, and YOLOcoaster for being YOLOcoaster. Even Tatsu had about a 15-20 minute wait by 6:00. The ride operators seemed to be dispatching trains faster on the popular rides. Hopefully they can maintain this for future busy days this year.

Viper was a walk-on for most of the day. It wouldn't surprise me if the rumors of Viper being the next ride to be replaced turn out to be true. I'd miss it, but it's nearing 30 years old and isn't getting any smoother.

Overall, it was one of the better days I've had there recently and I'm excited to come back after Justice League opens.

Maybe I'm weird, but I really enjoy Viper exactly the way it is and hope it stays around a while. As welcome as a huge new coaster would be in that spot, I would really miss the ride.

^ ^ ^

I'm with you there. I enjoy it, bumps and all (Even with how wobbly the cars were today). Although, I wouldn't be opposed to refurbishing the ride and giving it new Vekoma trains ala Ninja/Blue Hawk.

Of course, with how much space the ride takes up, it might not be considered worth it to upgrade a ride that not even the average visitor seems to like. But, I'm obviously not in park management, so my opinion is worth about as much as a flip phone is today.

Wait times weren't too bad, with the exception of Batman due to having one-train operation, and YOLOcoaster for being YOLOcoaster. Even Tatsu had about a 15-20 minute wait by 6:00. The ride operators seemed to be dispatching trains faster on the popular rides. Hopefully they can maintain this for future busy days this year.

Maybe I'm weird, but I really enjoy Viper exactly the way it is and hope it stays around a while. As welcome as a huge new coaster would be in that spot, I would really miss the ride.

I still enjoy night rides on Viper in the very front seat. I find it less rough than Scream and Apocalypse TBH

That figures, I was there the past 5 days, and it was soooo busy. Oh well...

Hi Everyone,

I am heading to the park in the next couple days. How do you think the crowds will be? And also, I'm riding X2 for my first time!!!! What's it like? And do the restraints feel secure? Thanks!

-@west.coast.coasters

If the crowds will be less than they were today, which I imagine they would be, you should have no trouble getting on every coaster that's open at least once. You'll probably be fine going to whatever rides you feel like, but I'd recommend starting the day with Revolution if they're still using the VR headsets, then Full Throttle, then Goliath, then Twisted Colossus. From there, it's easiest to simply circle around the park and ride what you see. Tatsu and X2 are best saved for the end of the day, in my opinion. They tend to have shorter waits and are excellent night rides.

Hey everyone,

So our biggest priorites when we visit tomorrow are Full Throttle, Twisted Colossus, X2, and Tatsu, and a non negotiable ride (like we have to do it) is Superman. I was thinking: Enter the park and do FT, then Tatsu, Superman, and TC. What order do you guys think we should do them in? And I don't want to go to X2 in the morning as we probably won't be there early enough to be the first in the gates and not have to wait for it/have a minimal wait for it

IMO Viper is a freaking awesome ride and probably my favorite of the Arrow 7 loopers, if they replaced it with some forceless B&M I'd be bummed. However if they hired Intamin to come in and sort of pay tribute to the Viper layout with a few more modern enhancements, I'd be down with that. And as far as it being rough, it's really just how it was designed, it's so strange to think that not so long ago the engineers applied such rough transitions between elements to a ride going so fast. That is one thing I am thankful about when it comes to B&M, they kind of pioneered a much more comfortable ride through the circuit.

From what I understand due to the lack of a seatbelt, the ride capacity is insane and the dispatches are about as fast as you can get on any coaster. I remember back in the day when they would run 3 trains, and the ride would have a line out the queue and down the Baja Ridge hill, I'd see dispatches as fast as 50 seconds.

Just FYI... at the park today, and Revolution VR still appears to be in use.

Bummer. I'm hoping it gets yanked in the next couple of days as I'm thinking this week will probably be one of the better weeks to visit in terms of smaller crowds and whatnot.

Hey everyone,

So our biggest priorites when we visit tomorrow are YOLOcoaster, Twisted Colossus, X2, and Tatsu, and a non negotiable ride (like we have to do it) is Superman.

I'm afraid I've got some bad news. Superman's entire plaza was closed off yesterday. I imagine they're doing maintenance on it at the same time as Drop of Doom. It's likely it'll be closed again tomorrow.

Hey everyone,

So our biggest priorites when we visit tomorrow are YOLOcoaster, Twisted Colossus, X2, and Tatsu, and a non negotiable ride (like we have to do it) is Superman.

I'm afraid I've got some bad news. Superman's entire plaza was closed off yesterday. I imagine they're doing maintenance on it at the same time as Drop of Doom. It's likely it'll be closed again tomorrow.

It was down yesterday because of rain on Saturday. If it doesn't rain it should be open tomorrow.

Hey everyone,

It was down yesterday because of rain on Saturday. If it doesn't rain it should be open tomorrow.

Oh, alright. I wonder why they needed a full day to get it back up, unless the wind was just too violent for it.