TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

On a side note, I understand why they have the VR. If they didn't, no one would be riding Rev and it would be walk on everday.

You sure about that? Whizzer here at Great America has gotten much MUCH more popular over the last few years. People really appreciate a family coaster But then we probably have more families at Great America.

If they promoted it right, I think it would be a big hit.

Magic Mountain seems to get more thrill seekers than families. While I'm sure reverting to lap bars certainly helped Revolution's attendance, most visitors probably wouldn't care about it unless it does have a gimmick to keep it "unique".

I often wonder if SF intends to keep SFMM as primarily a thrill park, or if they intend to bring in more family attractions in the future it balance it out and compete more with the other parks in the area.

I often wonder if SF intends to keep SFMM as primarily a thrill park, or if they intend to bring in more family attractions in the future it balance it out and compete more with the other parks in the area.

It seems like Justice League could be the inauguration of going more towards family-style rides. But it also could just be a one-off because Six Flags got a deal with Sally for multiple installations, and adding them to all their highest attended parks has the highest probability of a return.

I guess time will tell, but SFMM will have to invest tons of money into the park for it to be as family friendly as say Knott's. Not sure if it'll be worth it in the long run.

It seems like Justice League could be the inauguration of going more towards family-style rides. But it also could just be a one-off because Six Flags got a deal with Sally for multiple installations, and adding them to all their highest attended parks has the highest probability of a return.

I guess time will tell, but SFMM will have to invest tons of money into the park for it to be as family friendly as say Knott's. Not sure if it'll be worth it in the long run.

I was thinking more along the lines of a well rounded park like CP. If that makes sense. CP definitely has the thrill factor, as does SFMM. But CP has much more of a Family opportunity than SFMM. I don't know, I was just thinking out loud. I doubt its a route the company would take with the park at this point.

I think SFMMs biggest obstacle to getting more families is their clientele (or perhaps their reputation as it relates to their clientele). While I personally have not had any issues with the clientele there, there are a lot of people that live in Southern Cal that won't go there because they have this perception that they are going to get beat up. Which is a shame because it's actually a pretty decent park for kids. Now that they are getting Justice League if SFMM had had better general maintenance, food service, and operations, I think it would be a fine park (I will admit though for those reasons I have no desire to go back even though they have gotten a bunch of new coasters since the last time ive been there).

I heard an interview with Mark Shapiro saying SFMM had a good opportunity to target lower income families that can't afford to go to Disneyland, but I think after Thomas Town flopped they figured the reputation was so tarnished that they're better off just focusing on thrills. It seems no matter what they do they are going to have a hard time getting the sour taste out of the GP who hate the places mouth. I don't think i've ever seen a park so hated by its surrounding GP.

I heard an interview with Mark Shapiro saying SFMM had a good opportunity to target lower income families that can't afford to go to Disneyland, but I think after Thomas Town flopped they figured the reputation was so tarnished that they're better off just focusing on thrills. It seems no matter what they do they are going to have a hard time getting the sour taste out of the GP who hate the places mouth. I don't think i've ever seen a park so hated by its surrounding GP.

It also doesn't help that it's so close to other parks that have been known for being clean and family-centered for a long time.Why would local families choose to go to Magic Mountain when Disneyland and Knott's has more for their children to do and have good reputations?

It's a shame, because the park, for the most part, seems to have been steadily improving over the past decade and they're unable to see much of a return for it.

Just browsing the MM website and I saw that they have season passes for $79.99, do they do this price regularly? My first use wont be till May so was hoping to wait to buy my pass but if this is a really good deal I will buy it now.

875811136_MMpass.JPG.a259a08b5fd315612a9c7afc1cc7c3ac.JPG

^I'm pretty sure you have to enter the park to "redeem" them before the end of the 2016 season (HITP included?). At least, I had to visit SFSTL in order to get my 2017 season pass.

Considering you'll be visiting SFMM, SFM, SFOG, and SFGAm, I would go ahead and buy season pass now if there's no truth to this "redeemption" thing or if you can find a work around of it.

*Disclaimer* : My father bought the passes and first brought this to my attention. I looked it up and verified that we did have to use the pass at least once in the 2016 season to get the 2017 pass hard copy. Why I am not entirely certain of the process despite having gone through it is because:

A) Since we were renewing, we had go use the pass at the park our previous passes were registered/purchased at. I'm not sure how much of this applies to a new membership holder like you.

B) We bought our passes on the Flash Sale back in September, which, IIRC, were the same prices as whats being listed right now. I thought this was only an limited time, annual thing?

C) The season was not over yet in any park. Now, in some parks, the season is over.

Just browsing the MM website and I saw that they have season passes for $79.99, do they do this price regularly? My first use wont be till May so was hoping to wait to buy my pass but if this is a really good deal I will buy it now.

Its a great deal but MUST PROCESS PASS PRIOR TO DEC 31ST 2016. Pretty simple if not i would think your payment would be like a Groupon and would only be valued at the $79 you paid, and not get you any of the perks associated with Gold Pass Status. If you cant get there until May I would pass on this but I sure dont think the prices will be lower in May.

PLEASE NOTE: To receive this incredible offer you must buy during our Black Friday / Cyber Monday Sale. To get the free upgrade to Gold level, free parking, free Hurricane Harbor, and bonus Holiday in the Park ticket, you must purchase your Season Passes or Membership online and pick up your new Pass cards at the park by December 31, 2016.

For the record I didn't mean to intend an "aggressive demand" in my post, I think that's just my frustration coming through as I've been a visitor to this park for over 2 decades and I constantly see the same dumb issues happen continually. It's like nobody who makes decisions at the park has ever visited a theme park on their own to prepare and provide such simple solutions to such illogical circumstances.

I replied to you a few posts back, sorry if my post made it seem like I was calling you out... I sure didn't mean it that way. Sometimes on the forums, it's hard to have much discussion about making suggestions to a park; immediately people accuse you of telling the park what to do, and how they don't need us. My point is that it doesn't have to be at either extreme. Same thing goes for discussions about forces; I've made comments about something, then right away I get yelled at "leave it to the engineers," and a bunch of lame stuff like that. Black and white thinking, unfortunately, is a way of our society. But it doesn't have to be that way. Especially on a theme park forum. It's not even creative replies, it's knee-jerk and super-generic stuff. I hope some of that makes sense.

This is one of my main gripes about Magic Mountain. The employees have a tendency to not be on the same page as to what the rules are.

I would say that is standard operations at any Six Flags park. My home park, SF Great America (which I think is the best run and most well-rounded park in the chain), it's like that too. Six Flags operations are so all-over the place, so inconsistent (except for being consistently bad)... it's not necessarily a good thing to have super cheap season passes, but notice how they try to roll it that way. You pay with your time and patience through horrible operations (on every level and in every department).

Which brings up another issue. If the park would simply create a VR line and a Non-VR line, which the queue at the ride is more than capable of doing, and make it explicitly clear to guests that they have both options, then this wouldn't be an issue at all.

It's hard to believe they don't, isn't it!? This past summer, people were getting off every single Demon train pissed off.. like, not just a little huffy, but pissed. They were trying this thing where they have 2 VR trains, and one non-VR trains... but why would you have 2 VR trains, which take 5 to 10 minutes to load, while the other 2 trains are stacked with guests? They can't go anywhere. They are locked under those harnesses. It took them way too long, but they not only took a cue from CP with reservations, but they started only doing VR after 6pm. So regular Demon wouldn't be all cramped up during the day. Seemed to work much better. Personally, I think they should do VR in the first 6 hours of the day, then switch over to regular... but at least they tried something different.

I wish Six Flags would change the way they operate their parks. It's really pathetic sometimes. There has to be something they can do. I would happily pay 3x the price for a season pass for good operations. My SF pass this year was like $67 and my CF pass was around $190. And it shows in the service.

They were trying this thing where they have 2 VR trains, and one non-VR trains... but why would you have 2 VR trains, which take 5 to 10 minutes to load, while the other 2 trains are stacked with guests? They can't go anywhere.

Wait, you're telling me they had three trains on Demon? Dang, I can't begin to remember when that last happened. That thing can be a capacity beast with three trains, though VR is a different story.

^Yes, most of this summer it was running 3. In fact, except for last summer (one of the trains was not even seen), Demon has almost always ran 3 trains on busy days. Same with Whizzer. The thing is, trains always stack. I guess they go for the hope that there will be an occasional train that gets out on time. Gotta give em credit for trying!

(Remembering the days when Whizzer ran 4 to 5 trains, no seat belts, no air gates, just get in and go! For Demon, as soon as a train hit the first loop, the next train would be peeking out of the lift rocks on it's way up. Since this is the Magic Mountain thread, didn't Revolution have the ability to have 2 trains in the station and unload the back one? Whizzer did that way back...)

• 2 weeks later...

didn't Revolution have the ability to have 2 trains in the station and unload the back one? Whizzer did that way back...)

From what i remember they had two chain drives that would pull the trains thruough the station real fast. They would dispatch as the train would crest over hill after the first drop. And I believe it had 5 trains and one of the fastest lines ever. It never stopped moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did that until an operator died when he fell trying to crossover and the train was dispatched forward.

Jew, do you remember the old board hanging from the ceiling with the lights showing the trains on the track?

I'm pretty sure the ride op death was a female... I remember an article said the train killed her instantly, and threw her under the station.

Is this when they stopped wearing earplugs in the station? I remember some ride ops wearing earplugs (and immediately noting the safety risk to myself), as the chain-drive in the station used to be kinda loud.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy friday! A couple of friends and I will be heading down to the sfm mountain Saturday to get a full day in on Sunday

QQ I purchased the cheap Labor Day flash sale for the SFDK got gold/ free parking. My two nimrod friends bought regular tickets. will they be ableto hang with me and get in early?

*lI also have the discover option too. Does one like me get you in faster than another?

What are the rides that are closed in the D.C. Land?

Cheers!

Happy friday! A couple of friends and I will be heading down to the sfm mountain Saturday to get a full day in on Sunday

QQ I purchased the cheap Labor Day flash sale for the SFDK got gold/ free parking. My two nimrod friends bought regular tickets. will they be ableto hang with me and get in early?

*lI also have the discover option too. Does one like me get you in faster than another?

What are the rides that are closed in the D.C. Land?

Cheers!

Nope. They will make them wait until regular entry.

The wife and I are making it to the park on Monday, the 26th. Are there any coasters we should expect to be closed? Also, forecast is calling for showers. I know not to plan for rain this far in advance but just in case, what is the rain policy for the park/individual coasters?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Edited by agerikson

The wife and I are making it to the park on Monday, the 26th. Are there any coasters we should expect to be closed? Also, forecast is calling for showers. I know not to plan for rain this far in advance but just in case, what is the rain policy for the park/individual coasters?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

If there is a drop of rain, Superman will be closed for the rest of the day. Full Throttle closes during rain but will reopen once the rain stops. Lex Luther Drop of Doom is also currently closed for scheduled maintenance. Other than that, all attractions (outside of Roaring Rapids and Tidal Wave) should be operating. If it's windy, X2 will be closed.