TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm aware of that. But the current senior management team is still made up of people who were with S&S/Arrow during the times of X and Hypersonic.

That may not be the case. There is no one from Arrow on the current senior management team roster listed here:

http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/our-team/

I dug and found one name possibly still associated with the company.

I imagine many on the front lines stayed with the company as well.

It is possible that some of these people stuck around, but not necessarily the case since S&S simply purchased the assets in bankruptcy. We know two of them are with Ride Centerline. I doubt at the end of the company's existence that they had an army of other engineers waiting to build something.

Time (and money) will heal all wounds...especially considering that both Six Flags and Cedar Fair still have to turn to S&S for parts and technical support no matter what happened.

Buying legacy parts from a company that bought assets from a company that bought assets from a company that bought assets isn't the same as buying a new ride from a manufacturer you sued into nonexistence.

Was way behind on this thread, but just caught up and wanted to point out that this was a solid post.

Also, no pictures of the 2017 ride construction area?

Someone posted this today, so there is definitely work being done

Screenshot_2016-11-15-22-25-51.thumb.png.d1536ba8d13f7b861d27d393f5b804e1.png

I was at the park yesterday. Surprisingly was not that busy. I got there when the gates opened and left at 4:30. Was able to go on everything but viper, revolution and Goliath. I skipped Goliath because it had a consistent two hour wait throughout the day (the longest wait of any ride when I was there). Twisted colossus was closed until 12 because of speaker issues in the station. But when it opened the line moved extremely quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've just moved to Santa Barbara from the UK and am making my first visit to SFMM this coming Friday. I'm travelling by public transport (god help me) to Los Angeles and then will be making my way to the park. I plan to get into LA at around 9am so I should be in good time to make it to the park. Anyone got any suggestions regarding getting to the park from LA, how long does it take etc, the website suggests taking a bus from Hollywood?

I'm only doing the one day, i've booked up a hotel next to the park for the evening so should be able to make a day of it. Is it typically a busy day after thanksgiving, i've kind of resigned myself to the fact that i'll have to buy the flashpass?

Cheers in advance!

I've just moved to Santa Barbara from the UK and am making my first visit to SFMM this coming Friday. I'm traveling by public transport (god help me) to Los Angeles and then will be making my way to the park. !

Yes it will be crowded so the earlier the better. How about hitchhiking? Start in SB with a sign that reads "126" and then a 2nd sign that reads "SCV" or "Six Flags" it should get you there.

Hitchhiking isn't illegal in California its just a gray area on where your allowed to stand to try to get a ride.

Hitchhiking. California Vehicle Code 21957 states: No person shall stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride from the driver of any vehicle. This rule is designed to keep pedestrians and motorists safe. It is OK to hitchhike through California, but you must obtain rides from places other than roadways.

Honestly, public transportation probably isn't that bad from Santa Barbara to SFMM. Just time consuming to go from Amtrak to Metrolink to bus/uber for last leg to SFMM. I use the Amtrak to Santa Barbara for "daycations" and it's not bad at all. Nice view for some of the ride too!

Honestly, public transportation probably isn't that bad from Santa Barbara to SFMM. Just time consuming to go from Amtrak to Metrolink to bus/uber for last leg to SFMM. I use the Amtrak to Santa Barbara for "daycations" and it's not bad at all. Nice view for some of the ride too!

I love that train ride from the northern bay area. So beautiful.

Cheers for the advice. Not sure my insurance covers me hitch-hiking, so i'll stick with the AmTrak for now. Heard it's a pleasant journey and takes a couple of hours which is fine. I guess the best way from L.A is the bus, or is there a train that I could get which would get me up that way?

Went to the park both Saturday and Sunday. Pretty good crowds both days, with your plus lines on basically everything, and up to 90 on Tatsu, X2, and Goliath. Goliath was running 2 trains on Saturday at least. Superman was even running both sides on Saturday night, which I had never actually seen before. It didn't open at all on Sunday though.

Holiday in the Park looked pretty damn nice. A ton of lights, looked amazing from the top of Drop of Doom. I was very pleasantly surprised by how nice everything looked, DC Universe and "Gleampunk" district in particular. Even the Kwerkmas show was enjoyable and different enough from the regular show.

Question for the group..... Does anyone know the last time the golden bear theater was used and what for? Just curious. I've only been coming to the park for 5 years

Went to the park both Saturday and Sunday. Pretty good crowds both days, with your plus lines on basically everything, and up to 90 on Tatsu, X2, and Goliath. Goliath was running 2 trains on Saturday at least. Superman was even running both sides on Saturday night, which I had never actually seen before. It didn't open at all on Sunday though.

Holiday in the Park looked pretty damn nice. A ton of lights, looked amazing from the top of Drop of Doom. I was very pleasantly surprised by how nice everything looked, DC Universe and "Gleampunk" district in particular. Even the Kwerkmas show was enjoyable and different enough from the regular show.

Question for the group..... Does anyone know the last time the golden bear theater was used and what for? Just curious. I've only been coming to the park for 5 years

Golden Bear acts as a special events theater for group sales events mostly. A lot of cheer events happen there as well as other events throughout the year. It's such an old and crappy theater that they will never put a normal show in there other than the occasional hypnotist. Kind of sad for a theater that used to host really big concerts with A list talent.

Cheers for the advice. Not sure my insurance covers me hitch-hiking, so i'll stick with the AmTrak for now. Heard it's a pleasant journey and takes a couple of hours which is fine. I guess the best way from L.A is the bus, or is there a train that I could get which would get me up that way?

You can take AmTrak to Glendale (or a little further to union station if you are into architecture at all---beautiful art deco building) and transfer to the Metrolink Antelope Valley Line up to Santa Clarita. From there I believe there is a bus to SFMM, or it will be a very cheap uber ride.

You can take AmTrak to Glendale (or a little further to union station if you are into architecture at all---beautiful art deco building) and transfer to the Metrolink Antelope Valley Line up to Santa Clarita. From there I believe there is a bus to SFMM, or it will be a very cheap uber ride.

I've done this as well. Really easy.

Golden Bear acts as a special events theater for group sales events mostly. A lot of cheer events happen there as well as other events throughout the year. It's such an old and crappy theater that they will never put a normal show in there other than the occasional hypnotist. Kind of sad for a theater that used to host really big concerts with A list talent.

Gotcha. That explains why I've never seen it in use. Seems to be a good size, you'd think they could fix it up relatively cheaply and make use of it for some sort of regular show. Or tear it down and use the space better, especially since there's a ton of space on either side of it too. Almost makes you think they could've kept the leg ride and put Full Throttle there and have it wind into the hill and maybe over Superman.

Anyways, thanks for the info. Was just kind of curious about it

Hey everybody! Pre-planning a trip to SFMM next year, I have a question

I'll be going to the park on either the first or second Wednesday in June, so for a Wednesday in June is this a good plan, or is there any way I should change it?

(NOTE: ONLY A LIST OF COASTER ORDER)

1. New Revolution

2. X2

3. Full Throttle

4. Road Runner Express

5. Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers

6. Canyon Blaster

7. Goliath

8. Scream!

9. Twisted Colossus

10. Batman The Ride

11. Green Lantern: First Flight

12. Riddler's Revenge

13. Gold Rusher

14. Superman: Escape from Krypton

15. Ninja

16. Tatsu

17. Apocalypse

18. Viper

Gotcha. That explains why I've never seen it in use. Seems to be a good size, you'd think they could fix it up relatively cheaply and make use of it for some sort of regular show. Or tear it down and use the space better, especially since there's a ton of space on either side of it too. Almost makes you think they could've kept the leg ride and put YOLOcoaster there and have it wind into the hill and maybe over Superman.

Anyways, thanks for the info. Was just kind of curious about it

Special events make tons of money. It isn't going anywhere unless a suitable replacement is built. It's a serviceable venue when needed for shows.

My personal favorites were the Aquabats in 2009 when SFMM actually did a summer concert series and MxPx as one of the jubilee music acts.

Hoping it would be dead, we took a drive up to SFMM to check out this year’s holiday decorations. It was actually quite busy with several queues hitting 90 mins. The app was as worthless as ever though, as a 70-min wait for riddler was actually a walk-on whereas Goliath’s 35-min wait was way, way out in the switchbacks. A number of the rides has incorrect times listed outside too, so perhaps queue estimates is something that SFMM just can't quite handle at this point. Anyhow, we managed to do several laps of the park (the place is actually good exercise if you go there with exercise in mind) and ride a good handful of rides.

The Steampunk area and the area in front of Tatsu’s entrance seemed to get the most attention in terms of lighting and performers. Neither were anything we haven’t seen before at Six Flags but certainly added some charm. The area by Batman was a bit of a mess, though. It’s that same LED dome thing they do every year and that’s about it. This year, it was basically set to “blue” with an occasional program blasting through it, but next to the superior Screampunk area, it came off as drab. The area in front of Fūll Thrōttle didn’t have much of anything going on, which we assumed was space set aside for the usual live entertainment. The entrance area was a tad gaudy and bright, and we felt they could have maybe done something a little more tailored there. The various fire pits scattered around the park for toasting marshmallows was a nice touch, but it’s just a matter of time before someone burns themselves while trying to tag one of them. We didn’t watch any of the shows (allergic to musical theatre) or eat any of the food (similarly allergic), but the latter was drawing the crowds whereas the former really wasn’t. Hopefully the park is making a killing from the food they sell as I can’t imagine they move too many regular entry tickets these days given that they’re basically giving season passes away. Flash Pass is the new entry price, it seems.

Rode Viper twice (suspiciously smooth, even in the non-good seats), Apocalypse once (brutal — the re-tracked part is as bad as ever), Riddler once (usually skip it, but single-rider called our names), Goliath once (caught it right after a breakdown, otherwise the line was insane all night), Lex Luthor once (usually skip it due to anxiety but wanted to take in the view), Ninja once (same old, same all), Scream once (fairly smooth tonight), Tatsu once (pretzel was extra crunchy). The last time we rode Riddler, it was really rough. Tonight wasn’t rough at all, but I was reminded of how dull a ride it really is. It looks great from the outside, and it does have some nice elements, but it’s the epitome of B&M meandering forcelessness. Having said that, I wouldn’t want them to transform it as it would be even more dull as a sit-down. At least the gimmick isn’t too painful on this one.

Batman (!!!), Twisted Colossus, Fūll Thrōttle, and Superman all had pretty ugly lines, so we opted out of those. Revolution was doing some new VR thing, and the line was rumored to be around 120 mins. Although they had two trains, they were only using about half the seats on each and dispatches were pitiful. Revolution is dead to me until this hideous VR nonsense goes away for good. Anyhow, here are a few pics of the lights and whatnot to build on what’s already been posted by others. Pardon the iPhone quality:

628464633_SFMMHoliday(1of28).jpg.cc84301792323a7def650f8b1d227b6c.jpg

Some gaudy-ass lights in this part.

1387616979_SFMMHoliday(10of28).jpg.53992722013383b93e823101d73f09e8.jpg

A popular photo op spot.

803938643_SFMMHoliday(11of28).jpg.a7b33f43b7f24f0cbab8f2cbfc4bea7c.jpg

The steampunk area looked pretty good overall though.

2087399422_SFMMHoliday(12of28).jpg.8fa958d62c51fe4882f225eee7d7253f.jpg

The props were a nice touch, but looked better from a distance.

1999583670_SFMMHoliday(13of28).jpg.bcb0b1c570faeafd98e881536ba8857c.jpg

They were a little too obviously spray-painted.

1848987840_SFMMHoliday(14of28).jpg.336b2ebffd3f6177c5f974b11e179b9a.jpg

They did a nice job working the original fixtures in.

241711507_SFMMHoliday(15of28).jpg.d358d8aab9c9fd8001784f136e94a591.jpg

The space itself is a bit wide, though.

1929739194_SFMMHoliday(16of28).jpg.b845af8648034ea1297920f4ab1f44ab.jpg

More steampunk figures.

35369081_SFMMHoliday(17of28).jpg.366c557cc5af03083c5d199fdeee1076.jpg

Well, the same ones from different angles.

337117268_SFMMHoliday(18of28).jpg.eccf8afc62339a61be900632b0f735cd.jpg

Entrance plaza

1243680889_SFMMHoliday(19of28).jpg.f16991620793457a852fa0d004e85eb0.jpg

The snow machines were hit or miss. At times, there was nothing; at other times, an avalanche.

1638652747_SFMMHoliday(2of28).jpg.5e8432b8b455c23cb9249f28a22ff94e.jpg

This whole area stood out in terms of lights, though.

1533479516_SFMMHoliday(20of28).jpg.74648d881f445c1ae1455c6d429d6d44.jpg

Still getting used to the "depth mode" effect on the iPhone.

118024536_SFMMHoliday(23of28).jpg.b6714f1aed5113b1c46d80f501344564.jpg

Decent performers in the SP district, too.

171181205_SFMMHoliday(3of28).jpg.cb3e68d7ad2c2f60bb6a9a2d82c55d5a.jpg

While scenic, this pathway would benefit from a little more attention.

660400622_SFMMHoliday(4of28).jpg.ff7820e321e06ce76417ab7dc1e595f5.jpg

But the area it leads to looked great.

646789007_SFMMHoliday(5of28).jpg.59ed241ebd1ffed87d03c813fb6e5a93.jpg

And delicious.

2067239948_SFMMHoliday(6of28).jpg.c6ed2bae0e157d8ef67f42e0a8cdc43a.jpg

This, however, was bland.

1940940835_SFMMHoliday(7of28).jpg.b0f4070522e3e47e89bf769c7f509e53.jpg

It was set to "blue" for much of the night . . .

1535301422_SFMMHoliday(8of28).jpg.4e25b3ad86fc9ec030cd20dd06df544f.jpg

. . . with the occasional show.

846560896_SFMMHoliday(9of28).jpg.1e68660e17130f182a8f27dd78759b4a.jpg

But next to this area, the LED dome looked a bit crap.

Special events make tons of money. It isn't going anywhere unless a suitable replacement is built. It's a serviceable venue when needed for shows.

Agreed. I used to work for some of those cheer/dance competitions they'd bring in, and it gets a TON of people into the parks that otherwise wouldn't be there, all with very little effort from the park itself. And you'd be surprised how often they host those events. In peak season (about March-May), it's almost at least one a week.

I'm sure there must be others that know more, but I know the ending scene for This Is Spinal Tap was filmed there.

And while not the Golden Bear, in the movie Rollercoaster, Sparks (huge 80s band) played in that tiny gazebo near the main entrance fountains.