TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

LA traffic isnt THAT bad if you leave at the right times and stay off the 91, 405, 110, 10, and 101 freeways. The 5 usually isnt too bad provided you're not on it weekdays during rush hour.

Instructions unclear. Got Six Flags pass stuck in CD Drive...

i'd get a room near magic mountain if that's where you'll be for two days. i live 3 miles north of knott's, so, that's my drive to get to magic mountain when i go. it always sucks at some point. and i'm never going during morning traffic. 11-1pm is normally when i'm driving up there.

weekends can often be worse for traffic because a lot of the people on the freeway are not used to being on it during the week.

it's doable from orange county, but yeah, you will have to give yourself extra time for travel.

Also keep in mind the hotels right in the Magic Mountain area are expensive. Even on non holidays or weekdays I thought it was ridiculous .

The Best Western Valencia Inn isn't horribly priced. I've found the Holiday Inn across on the way on HotelTonight for the same price as the BW.

I used to live 5 minutes from Knott's and if you leave for Magic Mountain after 11am you're not in too bad a shape, the key is staying off the 5 as long as possible.

For example I would take the 91 W to the 710 N, pass the 5 and then take the 10 W to the 5 instead. This is where you're going to see most of your traffic because there's like 3 different freeways merging together and then splitting apart within about a mile. Another place that tends to have traffic is on the 5 going North after the 210 when you start to go up the hill. For whatever reason even after they've made huge improvements by building bridges and widening that freeway, that hill still causes traffic. I'd say going my route on average, if there's no accidents or major setback, I could get there anywhere from 1 Hr 15 Mins to 1 Hr 30 Mins.

Now coming home is a whole 'nother ballgame. If the park closes at 9 or 10 and I get on the freeway, I can usually make it home in 45 minutes. 5 South, 10 East, 710 South, 91 East. However I usually am passing people and I know the route home so well because I've done it so much. Also these freeways are much bigger than the 5 and the quality of the ride tends to be better because it's not as beat up as the 5. The 5 can be such a small dumpy freeway in so many parts until you get into Orange County.

So yes, while I understand, traffic in downtown LA is terrible almost all the time (the 110 or 101) however the 5 doesn't go through the heart of the city, it kinda stays on the outskirts so the drive up to Magic Mountain from Orange County isn't as terrible as some of you are making it out to be.

That being said if you're going to be going to Magic Mountain for 2 days I would drive up initially the morning of your first day, stay 1 night at a hotel, then drive back the night of your 2nd day to avoid kinda tiring yourself out from driving back and forth. On Expedia I'm looking in May and I see rooms for 1 night at around $100 at the aforementioned Best Western, a Motel for $68 so not bad. Plus one of my favorite things to do is bring along some alcoholic beverages and chill in the pool or jacuzzi during the evening, after a day of walking around there really is nothing better!

LA traffic isnt THAT bad if you leave at the right times and stay off the 91, 405, 110, 10, and 101 freeways. The 5 usually isnt too bad provided you're not on it weekdays during rush hour.

So in other words: it's bad.

I guess it all depends how well you know the highway system. I've always been able to commute from LA to the IE, OC, and SD with relative ease. There are always alternate routes. The 210, 60, 22, 57, 15, 105, 78, 71 etc have been my go to routes to navigate around So Cal. To each his own I guess.

d451a420883b30af4b64f02c9ba03eb166fadb4a2f9723d8bd488efe3b1742f9.jpg.df2eba727a00578800378c8164b2f930.jpg

I guess it all depends how well you know the highway system. I've always been able to commute from LA to the IE, OC, and SD with relative ease. There are always alternate routes. The 210, 60, 22, 57, 15, 105, 78, 71 etc have been my go to routes to navigate around So Cal. To each his own I guess.

The fact that you have to use alternate routes in the first place implies that traffic must be terrible enough to encourage you to do so. Therefore, the traffic is bad.

The fact that you have to use alternate routes in the first place implies that traffic must be terrible enough to encourage you to do so. Therefore, the traffic is bad.

Never said it wasn't bad, just said its not *AS* bad if you know how to get around. I'm over it anyway, back to SFMM

Nailed it. I have memorized 3 different routes to all the parks from my house in the valley from driving them so many times.

I also actually enjoy when the SFMM goes slightly off topic away from the usual rumors, complaints about operations, and questions about the crowds. Keeps the discussion fresh.

To get it back on topic (kind of)...I like using the Old Road to get to SFMM.

Californians say "the" before freeway names. Big whoop.

That being said, the Old Road is great if you're going on a high capacity day and Magic Mountain Parkway is backed up on the 5 north. First off I would pretty much avoid these days. BUT, you can get off at Lyons, McBean, or Valencia, turn left over the freeway, then take the typically trafficless Old Road up to Magic Mountain parkway and make a left once you get there to beat the dum dums sitting in traffic on the freeway for that stupid left arrow.

Speaking of roads what's the quickest way to get from LAX to the park on a Friday around 12:30 PM. Didn't know if there is a better way then Google Maps shows.

Friday at 12:30? In that location? Oh man. There's really no quick way. 105 East, 405 North to the 5 North, and that's pretty much it. Unless you want to try side streets for a bit---and I wouldn't. Get an ice cold beverage, have some tunes or a podcast ready, get on the road, and hope for the best. The 405 in that area is known to be terrible, and on a Friday around that time people like to get off work early so traffic is worse than usual.

I would expect the drive to be anywhere from 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes.

Should NOV 21 (Monday) be ok to go?

Best day ever as you can be almost el cheapo and pay it forward at the same time.

Its bring a bag of food day and get admission into the park. The ticket they give you is only good on the 21st so dont save them up.

Its for the LA Food Bank so bring some bags of grub and get in. Here is the link to the event.

I'm aware of that. But the current senior management team is still made up of people who were with S&S/Arrow during the times of X and Hypersonic.

That may not be the case. There is no one from Arrow on the current senior management team roster listed here:

http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/our-team/

I dug and found one name possibly still associated with the company.

I imagine many on the front lines stayed with the company as well.

It is possible that some of these people stuck around, but not necessarily the case since S&S simply purchased the assets in bankruptcy. We know two of them are with Ride Centerline. I doubt at the end of the company's existence that they had an army of other engineers waiting to build something.

Time (and money) will heal all wounds...especially considering that both Six Flags and Cedar Fair still have to turn to S&S for parts and technical support no matter what happened.

Buying legacy parts from a company that bought assets from a company that bought assets from a company that bought assets isn't the same as buying a new ride from a manufacturer you sued into nonexistence.

Was way behind on this thread, but just caught up and wanted to point out that this was a solid post.

Also, no pictures of the 2017 ride construction area?