TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Is X2 considered a 4D or 5D coaster – I’ve been curious about this? Also, does X2 typically have its scheduled maintenance at the same time every year? Thanks.

It is a Four Dimensional coaster as the seat spinning accounts for the 4th Dimension. The "5th Dimension" thing is a Six Flags marketing gimmick, they are referring to the fire and audio, somehow they consider that a dimension.

ZacSpins like Green Lantern or Insane and FreeSpin coasters like Batman at SFFT are also technically 4 dimension coasters, but the original Arrow/S&S coasters X/X2, Eejanaika, and Dinoconda are the ones that are most commonly referred to as such - because they were the first, but also and perhaps more because they're the only ones where the seat spinning is predetermined and controlled by the track.

^I'd say they'd also qualify moreso because they also have lateral changes in direction...certainly not to say that Zacspins or Free Spins *aren't* capable of having turns in their track, but none have been built yet that do have any, so...

My son and I are finally going for his first trip to the Mountain on Friday, hoping it's not too crowded the first part of the day. Planned to go last month but I was sidelined with an injury. Plan to do Revolution first without the VR, since I hear there is no more single rider option for this. Then we'll head up to Superman and Ninja. We got the Gold Pass Upgrade for free on Labor Day weekend. Am I correct that we just get into a line and they process us at the turnstyle? And if I show them the receipt at the parking booth, will they let us in since we get the free parking with our pass?

I saw the thread asking about which coaster you wish you could ride one more time, and damn I miss Log Jammer...

and riding roller coasters at night!

I really need to make an effort to just get out and head to the park on weekends. I go solo 90% of the time and when I am actually with a crew or someone else, it's around this time of year for all of the holiday themed events. I think I'm spoiled (although the last few years are more crowded) with the weekday 1 to 2 hour long trips during season and being able to ride a bunch of stuff because of entering early with gold pass and it's so empty early, so I don't really spend too much time in the park anymore and don't deal with much of a crowd unless it's the holiday events or a ride opening.

BUT... I can't even remember my last night coaster. During the season, it obviously gets dark later, with the park closing at 6. They have those weeks where it's open until 8 but it's still not fully dark outside. So yeah, I can't even remember my last night coaster.

Damn, I love coasters in the dark, and miss Log Jammer night rides. I really need to get out there and do it.

Good Times

Edited by Eaanderson10

I saw the thread asking about which coaster you wish you could ride one more time, and damn I miss Log Jammer...

I really need to make an effort to just get out and head to the park on weekends. I go solo 90% of the time and when I am actually with a crew or someone else, it's around this time of year for all of the holiday themed events. I think I'm spoiled (although the last few years are more crowded) with the weekday 1 to 2 hour long trips during season and being able to ride a bunch of stuff because of entering early with gold pass and it's so empty early, so I don't really spend too much time in the park anymore and don't deal with much of a crowd unless it's the holiday events or a ride opening.

BUT... I can't even remember my last night coaster. During the season, it obviously gets dark later, with the park closing at 6. They have those weeks where it's open until 8 but it's still not fully dark outside. So yeah, I can't even remember my last night coaster.

Damn, I love coasters in the dark, and miss Log Jammer night rides. I really need to get out there and do it.

Good Times

Log Jammer>>>>>Jet Stream

Anyone else think they should have at least one person on jet stream during fright fest to scare people. Or would that scare some people to wanting to jump out of the boat. There are some parts in that ride that if there was a scare person it would be exciting to ride.

Good Times

Log Jammer>>>>>Jet Stream

Log Jammer >>>> YOLOcoaster, tbh

Anyone else think they should have at least one person on jet stream during fright fest to scare people. Or would that scare some people to wanting to jump out of the boat. There are some parts in that ride that if there was a scare person it would be exciting to ride.

Very much agree.

There are a lot of opportunities for a lot of scares during some of the rides at Magic Mountain and it is a shame they don't take advantage of them.

Another great one could be on the Goldrusher 1st lift, at the end of Ninja going up the lift, the 180 degree turnaround on Viper (it's so dark over there) just to name a few. From what I've gathered over the years they're more concerned with hype and getting asses through the turnstyles than actually putting on any kind of competitive or amazing Halloween event (compared to KSF or HHN).

There was a year where they actually put a few (emphasis on "few") scareactors along the path of the old Log Jammer. It was fun, but you essentially go by so quickly, the scares were pretty fleeting, and probably not worth the effort it took to set them up.

Damn, I love coasters in the dark

DoD in the dark is also pretty fun

It wasn't running yesterday at least until 7:30 or so. The entry door was closed not just chained off. I enjoy marathoning that ride.

Single Rider is the reason I ride it more than Superman.

Damn, I love coasters in the dark

DoD in the dark is also pretty fun

It wasn't running yesterday at least until 7:30 or so. The entry door was closed not just chained off. I enjoy marathoning that ride.

Single Rider is the reason I ride it more than Superman.

Lex was running today - Saturday!

Went to Fright Fest friday mainly to check out aftermath and whatever of the other houses I could see without long waits.

Verdict: Aftermath is definitely the best effort yet from Fright Fest. The outdoor wreckage scenes are great and it's clear the monsters all had direction too. Was fully staffed. The one thing I'd really like to see is have them improve upon the other scenes and add detail that is equal to the wreckage. Thought it was especially fun they used the old Deja Vu station as a high up scare spot for a monster.

Suicide Squad scare zone on the other hand? Basically just a photo op. Not nearly enough fog or monsters. The most I saw was 3. The fire part of the projection mapping was cool, but the non fire portions of the "show" on the building seemed out of focus. The Gotham area used to be on par with "fog alley" at Ghost Town, now it's lame.

Because of lines, I only went through the Toyz maze (still pretty lame---really needs more scenic and not JUST painted walls, but I approve of the cymbal monkey costumes) and Red Beards Revenge (the girl in our pre-show was awesome...the rest of the maze was meh. Still feels like they just bought every prop at a halloween store. Monsters just made minimal effort and what is with all the air blasts?)

Went to Fright Fest friday mainly to check out aftermath and whatever of the other houses I could see without long waits.

Verdict: Aftermath is definitely the best effort yet from Fright Fest. The outdoor wreckage scenes are great and it's clear the monsters all had direction too. Was fully staffed. The one thing I'd really like to see is have them improve upon the other scenes and add detail that is equal to the wreckage. Thought it was especially fun they used the old Deja Vu station as a high up scare spot for a monster.

Suicide Squad scare zone on the other hand? Basically just a photo op. Not nearly enough fog or monsters. The most I saw was 3. The fire part of the projection mapping was cool, but the non fire portions of the "show" on the building seemed out of focus. The Gotham area used to be on par with "fog alley" at Ghost Town, now it's lame.

Because of lines, I only went through the Toyz maze (still pretty lame---really needs more scenic and not JUST painted walls, but I approve of the cymbal monkey costumes) and Red Beards Revenge (the girl in our pre-show was awesome...the rest of the maze was meh. Still feels like they just bought every prop at a halloween store. Monsters just made minimal effort and what is with all the air blasts?)

Aftermath's main problem is that the paths are too wide. It's hard for the scares to be effective when they're from so far away. Overall, other than Aftermath I've been disappointed by this year's event. The actors aren't effective and there are nowhere close to enough of them. At KSF last night I was surprised by the sheer NUMBER of scare actors everywhere.

I thought the monsters used the space well and to their advantage. You just have to be good to be able to do more than pop out in a tighter space. But as with any haunt, everyone's experience will vary.

I'm also disappointed with Suicide Squad. There seemed like there was some sort of "opening ceremony" show at 7pm, as there were huge crowds. But after waiting a long time, we essentially didn't see anything, and suddenly crowds dispersed. I guess some people saw something, but I certainly wasn't one of them! Then we just saw them posing in front of huge crowds. The worst part for us is that the projection mapping wasn't even working, and we waited around 20-30 minutes for it.

I hate to say it, but I think they need to start charging high prices, just to keep some of the crowds down. Even Goldrusher had a line going down the ramp, and Scrambler had an over half full queue, which never really happens unless the park is just mobbed.