TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

not even the GP will be impressed by would be a disappointing addition

They're not stupid. If they spend 20 million dollars on something the goal would be to build a ride that people actually enjoy. They're cheap but they're not idiots.

That's why I said it would be the worst case scenario. Although, when it comes to new rides, it seems most paying customers aren't that hard to impress... But you're definitely correct. Money will be the deciding factor.

. . .In all seriousness, I've never felt anything but fun in B&M's and certainly no rattle. . .

You haven't been on many B&M's have you?

I've never experienced rattling on a B&M. The only painful B&M's I've ridden are the standups.

You've never been on Scream apparently......

I have and I never understood the hate for Scream, the only things I hated about Scream were how ugly it was and the fact that it was running 1 train and had a 90 minute line on a Saturday. If you have 3 trains, why the hell would you ever run 1 when the line is 90 minutes long? I could see having one in rehab at all times and two on the track but there was only one train on the track or in transfer. What the f**k???

It's funny you mention that. The park has a weird rehab schedule for Scream's trains. Go on a Saturday in August where all coasters have 90Min + waits and it'll have 1 train. Go on a Sunday in February where there's more employees than guests in the park, and it'll have all 3 trains running.

It's funny you mention that. The park has a weird rehab schedule for Scream's trains. Go on a Saturday in August where all coasters have 90Min + waits and it'll have 1 train. Go on a Sunday in February where there's more employees than guests in the park, and it'll have all 3 trains running.

3 trains on scream? do any of the coasters at all still have 3 trains besides TC? that's one of the most frustrating things about mm, the lack of ability to even try to run their coasters at capacity.

3 trains on scream? do any of the coasters at all still have 3 trains besides TC? that's one of the most frustrating things about mm, the lack of ability to even try to run their coasters at capacity.

I haven't seen 3 on Scream in years. The last one I saw other than TC was 3 trains on Goliath a couple years ago on a Saturday in the summer.

But they really, like REALLY need to try to run 3 trains on Tatsu during the summer. Even if it has to go down for maintenance for a couple months in the off-season.

Wow... During the time since I last checked this forum, BOTH the "B&M's are forceless" and the "B&M Rattle" myths have come out! Seriously people, look up the word "Force" in the dictionary, and then get out of here with that garbage! As for the "rattle", I admit that in the rear of some B&M's, there's a shudder sometimes, but an audible rattle? No. Let me get a baby rattle and shake it in your ear, and THEN you'll understand what a rattle is!

Watch this POV of Valravn. At 1:46-1:49 seconds there is a rattle noise, either from the chain dog or upstop hitting the track ties, or it's something else else going on with a connection between the trains. This is what I believe people are talking about when you hear the "rattle" on B&M's. It's not a myth, and it happens on old and new B&M's quite frequently.

Now Screams shuffling at the bottom of the first drop and before the loop is a whole 'nother type of thing, which I VERY rarely and have almost never felt on any other B&M, and I believe the rumor is that the piece was either dropped or not stored properly so it kind of went out of whack. It is very noticeable though.

I guess overall my point is that when I've gotten off a B&M which was built over the past decade and a half, I was like "meh" but when I've gotten off an Intamin over the past decade, or an RMC I was wowed and immediately wanted to ride again. I mean even watching this Valravn pov, I'm kinda like...that's NOT the ride that's going to get me back to Cedar Point. Maverick and TTD and Millenium Force are! And if RMC does Mean Streak, that'll be a reason too!

Magic Mountain IMO is one exception when it comes to the B&M's though. They have the best flyer, standup, invert, and floorless layout of any of those types of B&M's I've been on. Maybe with the exception of Raptor, but I like Batman's compact intensity, quickness, and snappiness. It just seems like the B&M's at Magic Mountain match the type of coaster with the type of ride length and experience the ride type was meant for.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

It's too early for this B&M rattle sh*t.

But they really, like REALLY need to try to run 3 trains on Tatsu during the summer. Even if it has to go down for maintenance for a couple months in the off-season.

If you have 2 trains, you shouldn't ever need to "go down for maintenance for a couple of months". Just rehab 1 at a time like a normal park.

It's too early for this B&M rattle sh*t.

If you have 2 trains, you shouldn't ever need to "go down for maintenance for a couple of months". Just rehab 1 at a time like a normal park.

Their problem is that they have so many coasters in the park and so few maintance staff that they can't rehab trains fast enough to where only one train is out at a time. For example, with X2 earlier this year, it ran one train for 4 months even though there was a second train sitting on the transfer the whole time. The problem was that the train on the transfer had reached its cycle count but they weren't done rehabbing the third train yet. So they only had one usable train left.

They're usually okay with keeping up with Tatsu and Goliath and TC, but any of their other 3 train coasters will be down to one at some point almost every year.

"B&M's are so 'meh'"... Surefire sign you're talking to an "intensity snob" enthusiast. GP don't get off B&M's, certainly not massive thrill coasters like GateKeeper and Valravn, and say they're "meh"... (Neither does this well-rounded enthusiast, for what it's worth...)

Random question for the locals. Does anyone happen to have any photos of the Jolly Monster? A standard Eyerly Monster. It was at the park from 1973 till 1981. I found a video of it on YouTube but can't find any photos while at SFMM. If you happen to have any photos, please share. The park I work for Adventure Pointe actually bought the ride and we are fixing it up now.

Edited by Mrlittle

Is tomorrow monday oct 3rd a school holiday?

In Valencia all the High School's are on fall break the 3rd (Rosh) and 4th, but all the elementary schools are in session. On the 12th (Yom Kipper) all the school's both high school and elementary are in session. And of course the 3rd and the 12th are BAFF days so expect the 3rd to be good sized and perfect weather around 78 degrees. But no fright fest on those dates.

We were there yesterday the 2nd and the school holiday on the 3rd obviously was a huge crowd factor. The first couple hours were reasonable but during the afternoon and particularly evening it was insanely busy for an offseason Sunday. Parking was well into the dirt, FT 2 hours, unusually long lines for mazes on a Sunday night etc.

I have been surprised also on how busy the local parks can be for a Sunday because of Columbus Day, which this year is Oct. 10. Something to keep in mind for trip planning.

Is X2 considered a 4D or 5D coaster – I’ve been curious about this?

The park calls it a 5D coaster (https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/attractions/x2-coaster), but I'm pretty sure this is the only place that it's labeled as such - everywhere else I've ever read says 4D. If I remember correctly, when X was "redone" into X2 the park began marketing it as a 5D coaster because of the audio and fire effects that were added.