TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I still remember when Viper was new. This attached picture (on ride pic of me and sister) is 20+ years old, yet at that time, we absolutely loved the ride. Waiting 2-3+ hours in line was just the norm when it was new.

Fast forward to last year - sister hadn't ridden on Viper since this picture was taken. I'm usually game for anything (even rides I don't like such as Corkscrew & a last ride on MeanStreak last month), but I warned her she might not enjoy Viper as much as we did when we were young. I was right - she was done and never desires another ride on it.

I'll be going to KBF & SFMM next month, so for memory sake, I'll take a couple last rides on Viper (assuming the wait is less than 2-3 trains, which I doubt will be an issue) knowing it likely will be the next one scrapped for something better. My nostalgic last ride(s) on it will probably help remind me how rough it has become, and I won't miss it!

If it is busy, there's a single rider line. Enter through the exit.

For the best experience, ride in the first row of the last car of the train.

Wait, Arrow re-profiled the turn after the last drop after the coaster opened? I guess now we know why Six Flags and Cedar Fair don't work with Arrow any more.

Six Flags seems to be pretty happy with S&S lately. Or got a deal too good to refuse.

Yeah those free spin 4D coasters seem pretty attractive. They're comfortable, thrilling, relatively cheap compared to most new steel coasters, have a small footprint and fit in parks with height restrictions, decent capacity, and they bring people into the park. I'd buy one.

I s

Six Flags seems to be pretty happy with S&S lately. Or got a deal too good to refuse.

Yeah those free spin 4D coasters seem pretty attractive. They're comfortable, thrilling, relatively cheap compared to most new steel coasters, have a small footprint and fit in parks with height restrictions, decent capacity, and they bring people into the park. I'd buy one.

The chance hyper GTX I thought fit the same bill, but yet no one is buying them

I s

I think it would be a lot harder to market a GTX, a 4D on looks alone piques people's interest. A GTX from the ground just looks like a small rollercoaster to the GP, they have no idea it's a bat shit crazy ride with airtime galore. Plus I think a 4D takes up less real estate and can be squeezed in almost anywhere with a narrow/long strip of land.

I also fear the same type of of shunning might await the RMC raptor track...

I s

I think it would be a lot harder to market a GTX, a 4D on looks alone piques people's interest. A GTX from the ground just looks like a small rollercoaster to the GP, they have no idea it's a bat poo-poo crazy ride with airtime galore. Plus I think a 4D takes up less real estate and can be squeezed in almost anywhere with a narrow/long strip of land.

4D S&S free spins are absolute garbage. It's a family coaster, by S&S own marketing yet they have been hyped as a thrill ride by SF. Having ridden the 4D at SFGAdv it was less than impressive to be kind. This was the general consensus among crowds when talking to people in lines for other rides. People have initial interest and then most are disappointed by the actual experience. SF wants to go for more low cost coasters so more parks get coasters more often, but 4D's are a bad choice. There are a lot better coasters in the less expensive range. 4D's are not going to hold people's interest b/c it's not a thrilling experience, there is no desire to go back and ride again. SF got them b/c they are cheap and take up a very tiny footprint of 259ft x 28ft. They are not a ride worthy to be a wide spread clone. Better plan IMO, would have been to give the parks with out launch coasters clones of the Sky Rocket II or III. There are a bunch of a good sub 10M coasters they could have spread around like the GT-X, Zierer made a good one for Knoebels for 8M, Infinity Coasters and Euro Fighter are 8-9M. Then eventually give MM and GAdv a dive or giga. They could give GAdv a wing b/c they need one over a dive or giga. GAdv has so much space it's just a money thing, while many other SF parks have space concerns.

I s

I think it would be a lot harder to market a GTX, a 4D on looks alone piques people's interest. A GTX from the ground just looks like a small rollercoaster to the GP, they have no idea it's a bat poo-poo crazy ride with airtime galore. Plus I think a 4D takes up less real estate and can be squeezed in almost anywhere with a narrow/long strip of land.

4D S&S free spins are absolute garbage. It's a family coaster, by S&S own marketing yet they have been hyped as a thrill ride by SF. Having ridden the 4D at SFGAdv it was less than impressive to be kind. This was the general consensus among crowds when talking to people in lines for other rides. People have initial interest and then most are disappointed by the actual experience. SF wants to go for more low cost coasters so more parks get coasters more often, but 4D's are a bad choice. There are a lot better coasters in the less expensive range. 4D's are not going to hold people's interest b/c it's not a thrilling experience, there is no desire to go back and ride again. SF got them b/c they are cheap and take up a very tiny footprint of 259ft x 28ft. They are not a ride worthy to be a wide spread clone. Better plan IMO, would have been to give the parks with out launch coasters clones of the Sky Rocket II or III. There are a bunch of a good sub 10M coasters they could have spread around like the GT-X, Zierer made a good one for Knoebels for 8M, Infinity Coasters and Euro Fighter are 8-9M. Then eventually give MM and GAdv a dive or giga. They could give GAdv a wing b/c they need one over a dive or giga. GAdv has so much space it's just a money thing, while many other SF parks have space concerns.

I rode Batman at Fiesta Texas and it was far from garbage. I realize it isn't everyone's cup of tea but Batman performed well enough to warrant Six Flags ordering 4 more. They wouldn't invest in more if people were "losing interest" in the ride. Especially considering Batman has run two seasons, more than enough data has been compiled to show proof of its success.

I s

I rode Batman at Fiesta Texas and it was far from garbage. I realize it isn't everyone's cup of tea but Batman performed well enough to warrant Six Flags ordering 4 more. They wouldn't invest in more if people were "losing interest" in the ride. Especially considering Batman has run two seasons, more than enough data has been compiled to show proof of its success.

Ignore him. The same guy appeared around Aug. 1st on a local SFGAm message board and just stirred the pot leading up to the announcement of our 4D. It's just a Troll account...

Went this weekend. Got in line at 3:20 at the wings spot and it was 4:40 before I got to eat. There was maybe 20 people in front and very slow operations. They were still selling Blue season cups despite having inventory of the new cups for 2017.

The mazes were ok. I went twice last year so I knew all the hiding spots so it was really weak. They should add new hiding spaces and change up the mazes. Garden of Darkness only had 5 scare actors.

I s

Ignore him. The same guy appeared around Aug. 1st on a local SFGAm message board and just stirred the pot leading up to the announcement of our 4D. It's just a Troll account...

Nobody asked you to respond, then don't. Just b/c your one of the people who thinks a 4D is anything more than a cheap, non-thrilling family coaster marketed as a thrill ride falsely by SF. You're the kind of sucker they are depending on to flock to the 4D garbge coasters. They are a one in done non thrill. You do it once and you don't ever have to do it again b/c it's not a thrill. It's a jazzed up carnival ride.

I s

Nobody asked you to respond, then don't. Just b/c your one of the people who thinks a 4D is anything more than a cheap, non-thrilling family coaster marketed as a thrill ride falsely by SF. You're the kind of sucker they are depending on to flock to the 4D garbage coasters. They are a one in done non thrill. You do it once and you don't ever have to do it again b/c it's not a thrill. It's a jazzed up carnival ride.

I s

Nobody asked you to respond, then don't. Just b/c your one of the people who thinks a 4D is anything more than a cheap, non-thrilling family coaster marketed as a thrill ride falsely by SF. You're the kind of sucker they are depending on to flock to the 4D garbge coasters. They are a one in done non thrill. You do it once and you don't ever have to do it again b/c it's not a thrill. It's a jazzed up carnival ride.

Nobody asked you to respond, then don't. Just b/c your one of the people who thinks a 4D is anything more than a cheap, non-thrilling family coaster marketed as a thrill ride falsely by SF. You're the kind of sucker they are depending on to flock to the 4D garbage coasters. They are a one in done non thrill. You do it once and you don't ever have to do it again b/c it's not a thrill. It's a jazzed up carnival ride.

For some reason, people still think a thrill ride has to do extreme forces to your body. Even Larson Loops are still considered thrill rides. Even family rides can be considered thrilling because they are fun to ride. If you're having fun, that's enough to be a thrill ride. If you're not having fun on a coaster that doesn't hurt you to ride, then this isn't the hobby for you.

For some reason, people still think a thrill ride has to do extreme forces to your body. Even Larson Loops are still considered thrill rides. Even family rides can be considered thrilling because they are fun to ride. If you're having fun, that's enough to be a thrill ride. If you're not having fun on a coaster that doesn't hurt you to ride, then this isn't the hobby for you.

What a complete false argument that some how thrill ride means, "hurt to ride". Not even in anything written.

What a complete false argument that some how thrill ride means, "hurt to ride". Not even in anything written.

Reread what I posted. If you still have trouble, I'll rephrase. This hobby of riding coasters isn't for you when a thrill ride doesn't provide any fun for you. Unless the ride hurts you, or is a small kiddie flat ride or kiddie coaster, you should be able to find something fun about most of the rides you find to ride, especially when the ride does in fact provide thrilling elements. I don't see you as anything serious since you think a mult-million dollar, highly engineered and designed, 120 foot coaster is a "jazzed up carnival ride" in your standards.

Besides, when did a "carnival" ride like Olympia Looping become a non-thrilling coaster?

Wow! A bunch of adults arguing over what is and isn't a thrill ride..if he is indeed a troll he did his job because he got you all worked up..guess what? I think the s&s free spins, larson loops, green lantern,VR on rollercoaters and Justice League dark rides suck too! Gonna attack me now? Probably...i guess if an opinion doesnt match yours, its wrong...WHO CARES! Get over it...

Long time lurker of these forums. Thought I'd finally create an account and give a trip report. Background:

I've spent my entire life in SoCal, so the mountain has been a major part of my upbringing. Had season passes as a teenager, made many trips with friends, family, strangers alike. Seen the park's attendance, upkeep, ambiance, and notoriety ebb and flow over 30 years in relation to events like the Northridge quake, parking lot shootings, the attendance plummet in the aftermath of 9/11, and numerous park management shuffles in the midst of the recession. Visited the park on its busiest summer Saturdays in the 90s with busloads of LAUSD children bloating 3-hour lines for every major attraction; visited on its slowest winter weekdays of the oughts where you could walk-on any attraction.

Anyway.

My girlfriend and I have been attending "Out On The Mountain" for the last few years. She moved to LA from the greater Chicagoland area about 4 years ago (if you're curious, she falls into the "B" category on the LGBT spectrum), so she grew up with Cedar Point and SF:GA in her backyard. OOTM has proven time and again to be one of the most enjoyable nights the park offers. I feel it has to do something with the respect these particular adult guests show the park and its employees during the event. The gates close to the general public at 6pm, destructive youths are forced out, and a true VIP experience is had. Not to mention, it's arguably the safest night to attend the park, bar-none.

Rides operate so smoothly compared to typical business. I've seen so many TPR trip reports detailing major coasters running 1 train during peak hours, but this has never happened at OOTM. Every coaster we queued for last Friday -- Goliath, X2, Viper, Scream, Apocalypse, Ninja, Batman, Revolution, and Tatsu -- were all running 2 trains. TC was running 3. Again, I'd wager this has to do with the cooperative nature of this event's guests. No teens trying to cut through exits, no sticky-fingered children breaking their VR headsets, no disgruntled parents trying to haul their 4-foot fairground plushies to the exit lockers, no over-zealous mothers making unreasonable demands of the ride operators. The longest we waited in any queue was about 20 minutes, and that was due to ride popularity, not operator incompetence.

Of particular note, our final ride was TC. They chained the queue entrance closed behind us, so we knew we'd be among the last riders of the night (it was around 12:30am). When we finished our ride, without provocation, the TC team asked over the PA system if we wanted to go again. We cheered, and they treated us to 2 additional rides, both synced to race against the other trains. They went above and beyond their responsibilities, and it provided my girlfriend and I an unforgettable experience.

Further, as someone who's only ever experienced Revolution with those atrocious shoulder harnesses since 1992, I've got to say that their removal has altogether salvaged the ride experience. It was totally unrideable, but now it's like a dream -- Schwartzkopf's magnum opus. Because we opted out of the VR headsets, they let us walk to the front row without a long wait. I'm glad it has ACE heritage status. It's a classic that I hope never leaves the park. I agree with many here that, if they removed the added trim breaks, the ride would be even more improved; but the reality is that doing away those shoulder harnesses has infinitely improved this ride. It took them WAY too freaking long enough to get around to it, though.

Our particular X2 train ran without the music. The pyro effects also didn't trigger like it had in years prior. In fact, most of the ride lighting for both X2 and Viper were off. I wonder if this was related to Fright Fest or the park's attempts to curb power consumption.

To that end, as its aged, I've been able to prevent particularly bumpy rides on Viper by gluing my head to the back of the seat. That being said, last Friday was my roughest experience ever on the ride. It was very uncomfortable. It'll forever be imbued with the park's identity. It made the mountain a veritable coaster enthusiast's Mecca in its heyday, and I'll be sad to see it removed. But it's time. If the park gets its rumored dive machine, I'll be happy (if the park doesn't skimp on the price). Here's hoping they contract B&M at least $15M to build a suitable replacement.

Superman wasn't running, which I know consumes a ton of electricity and generally operates 1 side anyway.

Riddler was understandably closed due to the backlot theater demolition.

We consider Yolo the most embarrassing gimmick the park has ventured into since Flashback, so we definitely skip it.

Green Lantern is always a painful, unpleasant thing that we hope to see removed as soon as management gets enough negative feedback.

To be totally sincere, every facet of the park that isn't a major attraction/recent installation suffers greatly from lack of upkeep. While several rides (Scream, Revolution) have received a fresh coats of paint in recent years when they've been the particular target of refurbishment, in general, the lack of attention the park's general facilities is becoming ever more obvious. Granted, the park is always setting up for its Fright Fest activities around this time of the year, it's readily apparent that older paint, landscaping, and the general scenery all around the park are dilapidated, crumbling, peeling, etc.

Then there's the mountain's greatest sin. In-park food is abominable. Bottled vending machine soda are approaching $5/20oz. I can't remember how long ago they lost their license to operate the Panda Express on Baja Ridge next to Viper, but the franchise owned "Chop Six" that replaced it is abhorrent. Bland, overpriced ($15+ each) dishes that were clearly frozen and reheated. I didn't think it was possible, but they found a way to make orange chicken tasteless. The most palatable item was the pre-packaged fortune cookie. It was manned by 6 employees (more than your average Panda) but took over 20 minutes to produce our meals. I really miss the good old days of Laughing Dragon Pizza, Mooseburger Lodge, and the other small kiosks like the chili stand in Psyclone Bay. I would even welcome Johnny Rockets near the karts again.

While the event itself is well-intentioned and kind to this flavor of guest, the park management's disconnection with the actual LGBT community is also apparent. The night's activities don't involve pride, awareness, or inclusion. To be honest, it's more of a gay men's night. 9 in every 10 guests was male this year, where the ratio in the past has been much more favorable to the many other gender groups. This may have to do with the provided entertainment. At the park entrance are two paid actors clad in short-shorts doing the most apathetic, phoned-in gogo dancing you'll see anywhere. You can tell they hate being there as much as you hate watching them be exploited as eye candy. Next to Yolocoaster (RIP, Log Jammer) is the same stage they've setup the last several years. It's clear they intend the area to be a dance floor of sorts, but most guests just walk by and try to avoid the pulsing strobe lights and EDM the DJ is blasting. This year there was a guest performance by a reality show star around 1am, which attracted more fanfare than prior OOTMs, but generally speaking, all the park's efforts to make this an LGBT event really miss the mark with respect to what the LGBT community at-large stands for.

Gotta run home now, but I can answer more questions later if you guys have any. Would recommend OOTM to all of you, as it's likely the best experience you'll have at the park.

^Completely agree with your assessment of the deplorable in park food and the general lack of preventative maintenance, but Out On The Mountain is a buyout event, it's not Six Flags themselves that is actually 'in charge' of the event per-say. While yes I generally do agree that the event seemed to be generally catered to a male-oriented audience the performers themselves actually all had very all encompassing messages (IMO of course). Granted, again even the entertainment is brought in from the outside; it isn't Six Flags dictating the entertainment at all. I'm sad you didn't like my lights though...

The ROI on Viper is in the red now I'm sure and it's the #1 ride that people complain about to guest relations. The amount of complaints about the ride are staggering it's kind of hilarious.

Can you share any of those complaints or the number of them? I am purely curious how many complaints the park gets about Viper in a given day, week, month etc.

And there is next to no true historical significance attached to Viper. Nothing that actually matters to the public or management.

I am sure there isn't. As I said, I understand it's a numbers game. Six Flags is a business, not a museum curator.

You seem to be in the know here. Do you know and can you comment if the investment in Revolution this season was made based on it's historical significance or on guest input? My opinion is that Revolution was not more popular than Viper. I'd appreciate your insights in to this.

There's the whole gamut of complaints, to the usual 'it hurt', to the more absurd flavor that could only come from the clientele that the park attracts.

I can't really answer your question about Revolution with 100% accuracy as I am not a corporate director making these capital investments (and corporate really has more say than the park does when it comes to big investments) but my educated guess is that the Revolution rehab was based on both historical significance and guest input. Revolution is a roller coaster that (barring any unforeseen tragedy) isn't going anywhere ever. While yes, it did get guest complaints and didn't have high ridership, it fit the bill of a great in between roller coaster that wasn't super intimidating for young or novice thrill seekers (quite unlike most of the lineup that Magic Mountain possesses).

The refurb of Revolution was essentially a safe-bet win-win for the park as it was a relatively cheap and easy investment to make with the very easy possibility of a high ROI. Now, the Samsung deal was closed more last-minute (as the confusing and clumsy marketing would suggest) but ended up being a huge boon for the best type of advertising-free word of mouth advertising. In hindsight (20-20 amiright?) the Samsung deal wasn't managed very effectively on the operations side of things and the word of mouth fizzled out (as everything does) and we are now left with a weird VR-when it works-experience that destroys capacity in favor of a gimmick that was supposed to have a few more tricks up its sleeve.

A Viper investment really would have none of the upside that the Revolution investment did as the VR gimmick is effectively over, it doesn't fill any holes in the coaster arsenal, and there is no historical significance attached to it. With that said, could corporate easily decide to find some new gimmick, refurb Viper and hope it sticks? Of course! Is it likely? Not really.

Shocking as it is to many of you, Six Flags actually does have some insight as to how and where to spend money for a nice ROI. Sure, it sucks when we all are hoping for a giga Aquatrax T-Rex dive coaster hybrid but since this new management regime has taken over they have been very consistent and conservative with their investment patterns (as a company should be when they have just exited bankruptcy). Would we all love to see cleaner bathrooms, fresh paint, and more general upkeep of the park? Heck yeah! Is that really their current business model? Not really... Just look at Six Flags as a conservatively run business that is all about maximizing capital ROI first and the way the parks operate and invest makes a lot more sense (still sucks though let's be honest).

... Out On The Mountain is a buyout event, it's not Six Flags themselves that is actually 'in charge' of the event per-say...

Had no idea. That certainly explains a few of the more inexplicable things we keep seeing every year.

Further, not to be rude, but I call foul play.

Do the mods like to fool around with all new members' posts?

I did NOT write this:

... fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo ...

Having my first post ninja-edited is a pretty lousy welcome to the community. Feel my input is a bit undermined now.

Does anyone know where you can get a park map, other than at Magic Mountain? I wanted to familiarize myself with the layout and the ride locations before arriving there. I'll be going Saturday and this will be my first time. Also, would any locals, preferably with a Gold Pass, be down to meet up a little before park opening? I'll be in the Gold Pass line probably wearing an orange shirt. Thanks.

Does anyone know where you can get a park map, other than at Magic Mountain? I wanted to familiarize myself with the layout and the ride locations before arriving there. I'll be going Saturday and this will be my first time. Also, would any locals, preferably with a Gold Pass, be down to meet up a little before park opening? I'll be in the Gold Pass line probably wearing an orange shirt. Thanks.

Google it.

https://static.sixflags.com/website/files/sfmm_park-map.pdf

Google it.

image.jpg?w=640&c=1

I was aware of that beforehand and printed it out this morning. It’s just that the numbers for everything are hard to make out this way. What I was seeking is an exact version of the map that they provide at the park, but at some local establishment. Thanks.

Not sure where you are located, but if your in the Valencia area I could get one to you. Let me know as I will be out and about most the day.

I was aware of that beforehand and printed it out this morning. It’s just that the numbers for everything are hard to make out this way. What I was seeking is an exact version of the map that they provide at the park, but at some local establishment. Thanks.

The Six Flags app has a park map that you can zoom in on and things.

Google it.

image.jpg?w=640&c=1

good one