TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm surprised this thread has been so quiet. Usually there are a ton of TRs right after WCB. How was it everybody?

Fear not! Full trip report coming up when I get back home. Pacific Park, Magic Mountain, Knott's, Disneyland, DCA, and USH!

Yay!! Awesome!!

Also, one of my friends works at the FT Sports Bar and said that the TPR members she encountered there were super kind and appreciative, which she said isn't too common. She said it was nice to have a group as caring and respectful of the park and its rules for once. So great job everyone!

It wasn't hard to top the people from the corp buy-out! Our poor server had to be on her feet from noon-midnight (I offered to buy her a beer). We enjoyed beers, and air conditioning for a couple hours as we watched guests with the buy-out wrist bands act like typical nightclub douche bags. We left her a sizeable 40% tip hoping it would give her something to smile about.

So according to Screamscape the park maybe looking into removing Viper as early as mid to late 2017 for their next coaster. What could the replacement be though. He thinks it could be the first Dive Coaster in the chain. I don't know how much of this I believe and I hope it's not true.

So according to Screamscape the park maybe looking into removing Viper as early as mid to late 2017 for their next coaster. What could the replacement be though. He thinks it could be the first Dive Coaster in the chain. I don't know how much of this I believe and I hope it's not true.

Robb did say he's been hearing things.

what was once my SFMM favorite has run it's course. i'd be happy to see something new there.

I would not shed a single tear if Viper was removed. Rode it on Saturday. It's not great. Not at all. Personally I think a Dive Machine would look BAD-ASS sitting on top of that hill! It would be like Tatsu where that lift hill feels so insanely tall due to the change in elevation.

I too, think removing Viper for a B&M Dive would be awesome! A Giga that extends to the back of the park would be pretty cool as well. I understand that there's a lot of nostalgia surrounding the old Arrow loopers, and some people still enjoy them. But I've also seen even marginal coaster riders, people who are not at all enthusiasts, hate them, and refuse to ride any in the future. It just doesn't make sense for a park to hold on to large coasters that elicit that kind of response from the GP, simply for the sake of nostalgia.

I'd totally understand if Viper was removed, the whole area needs a revamp and a new coaster would do the trick. I'd be a bit sad though, that was my first "big ride" as a kid in the 90's. It had and still has today such a dominating presence in the park's skyline.

I'll tell you what I was happy with... Apocalypse gave me an awesome handful of great rides during WCB! It reminded me of Gold Striker's relentless pacing.

Yay! I'm glad to hear a good report on it, because I loved it last time I was out there, and have been disappointed hearing the terrible reviews coming back from it lately. Nice to know that maybe that work they did on it helped it get - wait for it - back on track!

I'll tell you what I was happy with... Apocalypse gave me an awesome handful of great rides during WCB! It reminded me of Gold Striker's relentless pacing.

Yay! I'm glad to hear a good report on it, because I loved it last time I was out there, and have been disappointed hearing the terrible reviews coming back from it lately. Nice to know that maybe that work they did on it helped it get - wait for it - back on track!

giphy.gif

Fixed

giphy.gif

Fixed

Nice. And I agree with you, Apocalypse was pretty good. Much better than its reputation would indicate. Seems that recent retracking has made a big difference. That, or enthusiasts just can't handle a wooden coaster. Either way is possible.

1st SF Dive coaster will likely go to either MM or GAdv. Since GAdv got a coaster in 2016 and MM not since 2015 RMC of TC than MM could be in line in theory. My caveat is that SF has shown a lack of desire to spend the 20 million on big coasters recently. The last new coasters have been S&S 4D's that cost 7M, kly Rocket II and IIII which are also about the same cost as the 4D's. The RMC converts have all been under 10M. The last over 10M expenditure on coasters have been 2012 X-flight and 2014 Goliath and the most costly of the 2 was 14M. A Dive which will cost around 20M is a big ask considering the SF plan which seems cost conscious coasters. But, if the big expenditure comes for a dive, it will be most likely at MM or GAdv

Edited by schoup

I'd totally understand if Viper was removed, the whole area needs a revamp and a new coaster would do the trick. I'd be a bit sad though, that was my first "big ride" as a kid in the 90's. It had and still has today such a dominating presence in the park's skyline.

I too have a lot of fond memories riding Viper, it was the premier coaster during my childhood until Batman showed up. But if it gets replaced by a record breaking Dive coaster or a Giga, you won't hear any complaints from me!

I would not shed a single tear if Viper was removed. Rode it on Saturday. It's not great. Not at all. Personally I think a Dive Machine would look BAD-ASS sitting on top of that hill! It would be like Tatsu where that lift hill feels so insanely tall due to the change in elevation.

Viper used to be my all time favorite ride. I was there opening weekend (lucked out). Was a fantastic ride. But, it's not what it used to be, and I'm with Robb. A dive machine would look insane up there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Removing Viper would totally make more sense than refurbishing it with new restraints and whatnot. It's one of those rides where, at the end, you just hear everyone complain about how much it sucked. I've come to really enjoy its intensity in the back car but I wouldn't be too butthurt to see it go. Honestly, I only ride it most of the time to see how long the line for X2 is.

The fact that Lance referred to the removal of Viper as "disturbing" and the removal of Shenandoah Lumber Company for a launched B&M flyer "awesome" tells me that we probably don't see eye to eye on much of anything. I still call bull*** on that last rumor though.

Anyway I kind of like Viper but if they remove it I wouldn't care. And if Six Flags dropped the money on a B&M dive coaster that would be a pretty exciting development as lately they've been going with much smaller investments coaster-wise.

If they were to remove it however, I'd much prefer another large multi-looper in its place than a dive machine. Possibly an Intamin that takes the inversion record or sets some other records like viper did.

Why? Doesn't SFMM have enough inversions as it is? In fact they hold the record for most inversions at a theme park with 36. King's Island comes in 2nd place at 25... SFMM already has 11 MORE inversions than any other park. I'd argue that they should move away from inversions, not get ANOTHER multi-looper cough...ScreamRiddler'sViperBatmanTatsu...cough.

If they were to remove it however, I'd much prefer another large multi-looper in its place than a dive machine. Possibly an Intamin that takes the inversion record or sets some other records like viper did.

Why? Doesn't SFMM have enough inversions as it is? In fact they hold the record for most inversions at a theme park with 36. King's Island comes in 2nd place at 25... SFMM already has 11 MORE inversions than any other park. I'd argue that they should move away from inversions, not get ANOTHER multi-looper cough...ScreamRiddler'sViperBatmanTatsu...cough.

Starting next year, they will actually have 37 inversions as the Flash builds a loop in the JL:BFM Ride. "Loopty Loop coming up!"

Starting next year, they will actually have 37 inversions as the Flash builds a loop in the JL:BFM Ride. "Loopty Loop coming up!"

But is it really an inversion? Let's argue about that for the next 6 months!