TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I have to say I'm impressed with the choices this park has made post YOLOcoaster. Making Colossus fun to ride again, removing the OTSR from Revolution, adding a new show (Kwerk), and now the park's first major non-coaster family ride in years. It's like thy're finally listening to what people have been saying for a good while.

It may not be glamorous or headline grabbing fanboy fodder, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Agreed. And I was skeptical of the Iron Reef dark ride KBF installed before riding it and really enjoying it, so I'm looking forward to this.

Personally I would've been more excited for a Giant Frisbee. Should've given Justice League to Discovery Kingdom and given us the Giant Frisbee considering SFDK already has Tazmanian Devil which is basically the same thing. I'll check out JL when the line is short, but I'm not going to go out of my way to ride it next year.

Personally I would've been more excited for a Giant Frisbee. Should've given Justice League to Discovery Kingdom and given us the Giant Frisbee considering SFDK already has Tazmanian Devil which is basically the same thing. I'll check out JL when the line is short, but I'm not going to go out of my way to ride it next year.

I agree 100% but they dont care about that...they took Deja Vu and set it up right next to a boomerang

∆ Negative Nancy up here, jeeeez

It's definitely a consistent theme

I'm not a fan of the JL rides but I am looking forward to seeing the impact this one has on the park. Seems like a fantastic choice from a reliable manufacturer so I think it'll be a big hit. It would be great to see that area increasingly populated by more flats over the years. In fact, the whole area would be well served to house a kind of modern carnival environment — updated, high-capacity classics with solid lighting and whatnot.

Completely agree...I think this will be the first step to opening up that area to additional flats in the future...we can't bash the park for years for a lack of flats and then all moan and groan when they head in that direction...this has been an eyesore portion of the park for some time with little to nothing to offer other than upcharge attractions and an empty outdoor theater...

The only reason I'm not happy about this addition is because I know how this park works and how quickly things deteriorate or don't come to fruition on high attention rides that get installed. I mean if the park can't even maintain audio on Apocalypse or flames on X2...maybe they should consider taking care of and fixing the things they already have including other areas that need attention (bathrooms, other themed lands in the park) instead of ignoring and letting those things continue to deteriorate while building new.

They could have skipped a year attraction wise.

Audio on Apocalypse was actually swapped and gotten 100% working but a few weeks later Six Flags corporate decided they were going to remove the audio anyway since it was scheduled to come out.

X2's audio still works as well. Fire effects however are a different department than the one that works on the audio and effects for the various rides. My point is that Justice League will not get neglected A/V wise unless Six Flags corporate pulls the rug out from under their feet (which I don't see happening).

And while I agree that there are other areas that still need attention, their pattern of capital investment these last few years suggests that every year we see a slightly updated themed area of the park along with a renovated bathroom or two. (This year's bathroom renovations were the Tatsu bathrooms and the Flashback plaza bathrooms that now have a gate to utilize them when the main gate plaza is full)

I think sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due. These past few years have all been nice, well needed updates to the park. Sure, I think everyone wishes that it would happen faster but it genuinely seems like they are trying now.

I agree 100% but they dont care about that...they took Deja Vu and set it up right next to a boomerang

That was definitely a "wtf?" moment when I went to SFNE.

Cant wait to see how long the laser guns work (well) for....2-3 weeks?

This has been the overwhelming "hate on Six Flags" comment pretty much every time a Six Flags park has announced another Justice League clone the last couple years and I can't think of a single time when it's really been an issue, other than at St. Louis which seems to have been more or less resolved. I'm not praising Six Flags' maintenance departments here but it actually seems like they've done a really good with these lately and I don't think these comments are warranted.

I HIGHLY doubt that Six Flags corporate would even have allowed MM (one of it's flagship parks) to just completely sit out this year.

Well, technically they did last season with the only addition being VR on Revolution. But two years in a row would be highly unlikely.

They didn't just add VR on Revolution, they built new trains (and added an awesome LED package on the loop!). I'd say that's significant enough to not say they "sat out" the year.

Many parks do things like that unannounced. Raptor got paint and new lights this season. Ride of Steel at Darien Lake got a new train. These things weren't made into big headlines, it's just average maintenance and upkeep.

Not that I am upset with what they did, it's awesome that they finally gave the coaster attention. But I wouldn't call it an addition as much as I would call it a rehab project.

^ The park considers the combo of a train rebuild, along with VR (which is not cheap), a coaster addition. Just like Cedar Fair considers new trains and paint job for Mantis and Vortex coaster additions.

To be fair, from all I've read and heard floorless conversions are extremely involved and much more time intensive and costly than just refurbing/rebuilding a train of the same style/type. Floorless conversions are also very different experiences than "just" a train refurbishment, to boot.

They didn't just add VR on Revolution, they built new trains (and added an awesome LED package on the loop!). I'd say that's significant enough to not say they "sat out" the year.

Thing is, most any other park would consider that simply performing the maintenance they should have been doing in the first place. It's kind of like celebrating the fact you washed the dishes because you threw a new souvenir cup in the mix.

I'm happy that SFMM is building something that looks like a solid addition to the park. But, past history indicates this will operate inconsistently at best. I don't know about anybody else, but it's rather frustrating when riding a shooter ride when the gun doesn't work.

I don't know about anybody else, but it's rather frustrating when riding a shooter ride when the gun doesn't work.

Hopefully Sally Corp. has their act together at this point and is selling a product that's reliable for a high-traffic park. If there is a problem, though, it seems like that's where the focus should be directed. The VR problems that are popping up all over the country, for example, seems to be the fault of the hardware provided to the parks as it's not a problem just isolated to Six Flags.

Although I haven't ridden many of these video game rides (I've been on Justice League, Toy Story, Iron Reef), I was never quite convinced that the guns did much of anything as there was just so much stuff flying around and blowing up on the screen that it felt more like watching a palimpsest of every Michael Bay movie ever made. I seem to recall scoring pretty well on the Knotts one considering that I spent much of the time checking out the props and shooting at my co-riders.

^ The virtual loop is simply a loop on the screen and the ride vehicle maneuvers in such a way that you feel like you went through the loop. It's that simple. All of the JLBFM installations have had it. SFStL is my home park.

Although I haven't ridden many of these video game rides (I've been on Justice League, Toy Story, Iron Reef), I was never quite convinced that the guns did much of anything as there was just so much stuff flying around and blowing up on the screen that it felt more like watching a palimpsest of every Michael Bay movie ever made. I seem to recall scoring pretty well on the Knotts one considering that I spent much of the time checking out the props and shooting at my co-riders.
Oh it makes a difference. Last year at West Coast Bash I got on Iron Reef in the morning and was doing absolutely terrible consistently getting the worst score in the group, and I felt like it didn't make any difference what I did. At lunch a couple of the guys from KBF gave us a few tips. Using what they told me I was immediately getting scores so high I would have won the day's contest if I had known earlier. Not sure if JL will have the same rules, but I bet it will be similar.

^ The virtual loop is simply a loop on the screen and the ride vehicle maneuvers in such a way that you feel like you went through the loop. It's that simple. All of the JLBFM installations have had it. SFStL is my home park.

Yeah, if you watch any of the online videos of the other JL rides, you'll see it. It's just a projected loop and the car tips back a little bit.

Oh it makes a difference. Last year at West Coast Bash I got on Iron Reef in the morning and was doing absolutely terrible consistently getting the worst score in the group, and I felt like it didn't make any difference what I did. At lunch a couple of the guys from KBF gave us a few tips. Using what they told me I was immediately getting scores so high I would have won the day's contest if I had known earlier. Not sure if JL will have the same rules, but I bet it will be similar.

Good to know! To be honest, when I've ridden these rides in the past, I usually just watch. I'll have to give it more effort next time. I recently rode Den of Lost Thieves at Indiana Beach and that required shooting to animate the props, but the guns really were broken there!

Good to know! To be honest, when I've ridden these rides in the past, I usually just watch. I'll have to give it more effort next time. I recently rode Den of Lost Thieves at Indiana Beach and that required shooting to animate the props, but the guns really were broken there!

Here are the tips they gave out to us: 1. The further a target is away/the smaller it is, the more points it is worth. 2. Always go for the tokens/coins before enemies, they're worth more. 3. It doesnt matter how many shots you get in on the boss, you want to be the one to land the fatal shot, it's worth a lot more.