TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

With that said Apocalypse, Scream, Viper, and even Riddler in recent months have all climbed high on my "skip it" list due to how jarring they've become.

Advice for Scream and Riddler...front car. Just went to the park last Friday, and had great rides on both. I rode Viper too, and happened to catch a decent ride, but cant for the life of me remember where I was sitting. I too hope that the retrack on Apoc is good, as it is a fantastic layout. I really love the fly through the station!

I rode Viper too, and happened to catch a decent ride, but cant for the life of me remember where I was sitting!

It wasn't the front?? That's the only seat I'll ride it in

Was not the front, but was a front car in the set. I do that for the extra leg room @ 6' 3". So, it very could have been the one Robb recommended.

I highly advise everyone to ride X2 first thing in the morning. The trains will not have loosened up so the bouncing up and down of the seats is much more tame. It's a specacular ride then. But if you're riding, front row inside seat is always the way to go.

But afternoon and night it is much worse. The back row outside seat in the morning is much better than the front row inside seat in the afternoon.

I highly advise everyone to ride X2 first thing in the morning. The trains will not have loosened up so the bouncing up and down of the seats is much more tame. It's a specacular ride then. But if you're riding, front row inside seat is always the way to go.

But afternoon and night it is much worse. The back row outside seat in the morning is much better than the front row inside seat in the afternoon.

My go to is always the back, inside seat...that whip over the first drop never gets old

My go to is always the back, inside seat...that whip over the first drop never gets old

Oh I do agree the back row is much more fun, but the front row is definitely smoother. I don't mind the roughness too much, so I usually prefer the back as well.

It's kind of sad that nearly half of the coasters at my home park, which is a world class thrill ride park, are "skip it".

Skip always: Viper, X, Revolution

Skip usually: Riddler, Scream (new addition after my last visit), Apocalypse, YOLO (it's a fine ride, but not worth the line)

=(

I think they're getting a flat ride package that includes a Super Loop. SFMM is extremely lacking in the flat rides department, and the area around the stadium they're demolishing needs a few flats.

I'd be perfectly happy with a flat ride package as well. I could see a package consisting of a Superloop, Disk'O, and a Giant Frisbee and they would all be welcome additions to the park, except for maybe the Superloop, lol.

This was precisely the package I was thinking of. They could all be DC themed to fit the new area back there, and could still precede another JL installment the following year. That would complete the transformation of that entire area of the park, and fit the park's need for more thrilling flat rides!

Well on the discussion of which coasters are a skip it or not...I'll be honest, I could skip every other coaster in that park and just ride Twisted Colossus all day long...That is a phenomenal ride! But seriously, I've only been to the park one time and rode every coaster there excluding the 4 kiddie coasters...So my list would be...

1) Twisted Colossus - Ride it as much as you can

2) FT - 2nd best ride in the park imo, also ride it as much as you can(I hate that it gets called YOLO...Cause YOLO is stupid and FT isn't stupid)

3) Superman - This was a fun ride...I could ride this quite a bit and never tire of it. Definitely ride at least once.

4) Apocalypse - This was actually my fourth favorite coaster at SFMM...Don't know why this coaster gets so much hate...It was awesome. A little rougher than Dollywood's Thunderhead but similar. I thought it was a great ride.

5) Tatsu - Having ridden every B&M flying coaster in America, I have to say this one is my favorite. I love how high off the ground it is. This is a definite ride.

6) Scream - I wish this was in a better part of the park. It's seems kind of forgotten about where it is even though it's by TC. But it's a fun and worth the ride.

7) Goliath - I actually really liked this coaster. After riding Titan at SFOT, I wasn't sure if I would because Titan isn't the greatest. But Goliath at SFMM is a totally different experience. I would definitely ride this over again.

8) Green Lantern - I would rate this coaster higher than most people give it credit for. Yeah, it's heavy on the breaks and doesn't spin like it's supposed too, but it was still a fun ride imo although uncomfortable. It's a hit or miss.

9) New Revolution - The VR flat out sucked on this ride...Not worth the wait. But on the other hand, walking straight on by entering the single rider line and getting front row immediately was awesome. But after one ride both ways, I can see this as a skip coaster.

10) The rest of the coasters are definitely skip rides. Batman is a clone, if you rode one, you've rode them all. Riddler's Revenge is a stand up and stand up's just aren't that fun imo. Viper is one of the most forceful arrow coasters I've ever ridden, was not a fan at all. X2 just sucks...I totally was not expecting such a bumpy ride. Glad I got the credit so I never have to ride that thing again. Goldrusher is a skip...Not the best mine train I've rode. And Ninja was okay, but definitely a one and done kind of ride.

So I can see why people say that half the coasters are skip worthy. Seriously, I can't imagine this park without Twisted Colossus...I honestly think it's the only coaster they have that can compete with Cedar Point's best which is Maverick of course.

Am I seriously the only one that thinks Ninja is an absolutely brilliant coaster? I also never understood why Batman (which is an incredibly smooth, intense and awesome ride) is brushed off just for being a clone? They could clone Batman on every street corner in America and I wouldn't get tired of it.

^^Yup. Pretty sure you're the only one in the "Ninja Brilliance Club"!

I enjoy the Batman clones, and I'd ride them if they were on every street corner. They're still just about at the bottom of all my B&M Invert ranks though... But hey, I have them over every Vekoma SLC, so there's that!

Am I seriously the only one that thinks Ninja is an absolutely brilliant coaster? I also never understood why Batman (which is an incredibly smooth, intense and awesome ride) is brushed off just for being a clone? They could clone Batman on every street corner in America and I wouldn't get tired of it.

Nope! I really like Ninja. Granted, not as fun since the cut all the trees down, but I still like it. It is a part of my solo trips...I go up the mountain right at opening (after a couple on FT for gold early entrance), marathon Superman, then do the same on Ninja. Ninja is a "sit back and enjoy" kinda coaster. I also like Batman a lot.

Hey everyone! I'm gathering info on Magic Mountain as I'll be making my first trip out there in December. My concerns are, are any rides down for yearly maintenance at this point? I'm mostly going to ride TC and give X a shot since I've never gotten on it's type before...even if it is gonna be a bumpy ride. FT at least once since I understand it's worth the wait.

Hey everyone! I'm gathering info on Magic Mountain as I'll be making my first trip out there in December. My concerns are, are any rides down for yearly maintenance at this point? I'm mostly going to ride TC and give X a shot since I've never gotten on it's type before...even if it is gonna be a bumpy ride. FT at least once since I understand it's worth the wait.

The standard advice used to be hit X first. However, with the additions of FT and TC I don't know if that is still the case.

I may be in the minority, but I still think that X2 is one of the greatest coasters in the world. Yes, it can be a little bumpy at times, but it delivers a flat out insane coaster experience that you can't get anywhere else in North America. Going headfirst down the first drop is something that never gets old. It's one of the few coasters that still scares me a bit, even though I've been riding it for almost 15 years. If you find X2 to be too rough for your liking, then I would suggest riding in an inside seat as they are less intense than the outside seats.

Riddler is also a great coaster and my favorite of all the B&M standups. I've never found it to be rough and the layout is fantastic. The only coaster I skip at SFMM is Green Lantern, which is a giant POS. I've tried to like it and kept riding it thinking "it's not that bad." Well, it really is that bad! GL is just plain painful and not fun at all. There's a reason SF never built any more Zacspins and moved on to the S&S 4D models. However, if the WCB is your first time at the park, I'd tell you to ride everything and form your own opinions. But be prepared to absolutely love Twisted Colossus! It's an airtime extravaganza and when it's dueling, it's the best coaster in the world!

If you're going to SFMM for the first time, definitely ride X2 first. It has the most horrible operations that I've ever experienced on a coaster anywhere in my whole life. Ride it first, get it out of the way because when you see it, you'll fall in love, but after you ride it, you'll break up with it. I'd also skip the VR on New Revolution and just enter in the exit and get a front row seat without waiting...It's a lot better experience. From there, either take the tram up the hill to ride Superman or go to FT or TC.

If you're going to SFMM for the first time, definitely ride X2 first. It has the most horrible operations that I've ever experienced on a coaster anywhere in my whole life. Ride it first, get it out of the way because when you see it, you'll fall in love, but after you ride it, you'll break up with it. I'd also skip the VR on New Revolution and just enter in the exit and get a front row seat without waiting...It's a lot better experience. From there, either take the tram up the hill to ride Superman or go to FT or TC.

X2 has the best operations in the park right now. The crew is on top of things and very rarely stacks trains. It and TC are on the CF level of operations. Tatsu is still terrible though.

Nope, love Ninja! One of the better rides at the park. Although I found The Bat to be a more intense ride, Ninja provides excellent mid-tier thrills. I'll ride Batman if people I'm with want to ride it, but I'm kind of over the design myself.

If you're going to SFMM for the first time, definitely ride X2 first. It has the most horrible operations that I've ever experienced on a coaster anywhere in my whole life.

X2 has the best operations in the park right now. The crew is on top of things and very rarely stacks trains. It and TC are on the CF level of operations. Tatsu is still terrible though.

I have to agree, X2 has had good operations for some time. Given how cumbersome the trains are and how challenged many of the GP can be in terms of basic motor skills, they churn out trains super fast. That's largely due to the fact that they're militant about no loose items in the station; they usually have someone posted at the top of the ramp who will send you straight to the locker if you decide to bring luggage on with you. Also, they do that thing where they keep the station largely empty, only allowing enough people for maybe one or two trains in at a time. The fact that there's hardly even a line for it to begin with also helps. Tatsu ops are hit or miss. They rarely run both stations, and the ride itself has glacial dispatches because of the design. They've been limiting station access a bit as well, so the bulk of the wait is in the swamp-pen. It's rarely less than 45 mins it seems, even on quiet days.

I'd also skip the VR on New Revolution and just enter in the exit and get a front row seat without waiting...It's a lot better experience.

They discontinued the single rider line last week. I found that out the hard way last Friday.

Maybe it's because I live up in NorCal and only get to SFMM once a year for 2 days, but there's very few rides I skip. Rough order of rides there from best to worst in my opinion:

Twisted Colossus

Tatsu

FT

Drop of Doom

Superman

Goliath

X2

Ninja

Green Lantern

New Revolution (no VR for me)

Batman

Riddler

Goldstriker

Scrambler

Viper

Apocalypse

All but the last 3 are must rides for me.

Maybe it's because I live up in NorCal and only get to SFMM once a year for 2 days, but there's very few rides I skip. Rough order of rides there from best to worst in my opinion:

Twisted Colossus

Tatsu

FT

Drop of Doom

Superman

Goliath

X2

Ninja

Green Lantern

New Revolution (no VR for me)

Batman

Riddler

Goldstriker

Scrambler

Viper

Apocalypse

All but the last 3 are must rides for me.

How we wish we had Gold Striker and not Apocalypse....we know what you meant...but the subtle change was humorous...