TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ Exactly what I've been saying the last few weeks, and people still think a coaster or large flat (although I guess it is kind of a flat) is coming lol.

It's one thing, the most predictable thing. What have the other parks gotten after an RMC? My guess is either a JL or a Super Loop. I know which one I'd prefer.

There's no way MM bulldozed an entire stadium for a superloop lol. I would love if MM did indeed get a Zamperla giant discovery ala SFOT but highly doubt we'll ever see one. The longest standing, most common rumor is JL, and these days usually the most popular rumor is the one that comes to fruition. I'm more excited about the possibility of them re-doing the movie district than the actual JL itself.

There's no way MM bulldozed an entire stadium for a superloop lol. I would love if MM did indeed get a Zamperla giant discovery ala SFOT but highly doubt we'll ever see one. The longest standing, most common rumor is JL, and these days usually the most popular rumor is the one that comes to fruition. I'm more excited about the possibility of them re-doing the movie district than the actual JL itself.

To be honest, they can really do whatever they want with that land. If they wanted to install a superloop, and use the land expansion around it to build facilities to tie in to the attraction, then they will. It's best to go in with zero expectations.

Arrow Loopers are incredibly dependent on height and body type. One person could have an entirely different experience than someone sitting directly next to them. I generally don't experience much headbanging on any of them except (for some reason) Dragon Fire at Canada's Wonderland and Vortex at Kings Island. I thoroughly enjoyed Viper.

Front row of the back car. Anyone who ever complains about an Arrow (or even a Vekoma) looper, I tell them to ride that seat. Makes all the difference. I can't tell you why, I just know that Viper goes from being an absolutely horrible ride to actually a LOT of fun in that row!

Thanks for the tip! I need to try that out. We're going to Cedar Point this weekend, maybe we'll try it on Corkscrew since that ride is complete crap (I didn't include it above though because it's problem isn't headbanging, it's that Arrow thought an airtime hill would be a good idea on a sit down looper).

To be honest, they can really do whatever they want with that land. If they wanted to install a superloop, and use the land expansion around it to build facilities to tie in to the attraction, then they will. It's best to go in with zero expectations.

A full size replica of Noah's Ark would draw millions from around the world. Nothing like that has been done. Just have to figure out how to bring back the dinosaurs back to life.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

A full size replica of Noah's Ark would draw millions from around the world. Nothing like that has been done. Just have to figure out how to bring back the dinosaurs back to life.
Actually, it has been done, though I doubt that it has live animals inside it. It's in Kentucky. http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/noahs-ark-kentucky/

On another note SFMM was featured as the start of The Food Truck Race last night.
Yep! In fact the whole season premiere episode was based in the park. I'm excited to watch this later tonight!

At this point, most people think it's going to be a JL ride and I'm totally fine with that. Of course, I'd love to see a dive coaster or a giga at SFMM, but I just don't think that's realistic at this point. SF hasn't purchased a B&M since X-Flight in 2012 and the last non-RMC/non-4D coaster was Fu11 Throttle in 2013. I hope this trend doesn't continue and SF starts buying big B&M/Intamin coasters again, but I'm not holding my breath. The JL dark rides have been incredibly popular and have consistently had the longest lines of any rides at their respective parks. I know that SoCal has many great dark rides at Disney and Universal, but that didn't stop Knotts from putting in Iron Reef last year--and that ride has been a huge hit as well.

For years, some people have complained about non coaster options at SFMM, I've even had friends complain that there is nothing to do but coasters. So yes, now the bluff is being called. lol

I'm thrilled we're getting this ride (if it turns out to be true). Can the park keep up a dark ride? Under normal circumstances I'd probably say no. But a DC themed ride that every other SF park has or will have? I personally think it will be fine, and certainly better than a closed, horribly aged "action" theater.

I was hoping for a large circular building featuring DC Characters for meet and greets. Also props from the DC Movies. Call it the DC Hall of Justice. Disneyland would be envious.

How about a Star Trek Transporter Ride. They put a group of 20 in Transporter Room. The ENERGIZE command is given and a non detectable sleeping gas is released. The group falls asleep and then transported by bus to the other side of park to a Star Trek gift shop where they are awaken.

I think they're getting a flat ride package that includes a Super Loop. SFMM is extremely lacking in the flat rides department, and the area around the stadium they're demolishing needs a few flats.

I'd be perfectly happy with a flat ride package as well. I could see a package consisting of a Superloop, Disk'O, and a Giant Frisbee and they would all be welcome additions to the park, except for maybe the Superloop, lol.

Edited by VegasBaby

Hopin for the flat ride package myself, the only benefit for me with a clone in a box is if they are as popular as people say alot of people will be stuck in the line for hours taking away from the lines on other rides, i personally have no interest in riding one...im pretty much convinced its not a coaster as i feel there'd be more evidence...i.e. track, footer work,...something. If it is a clone in a box so be it, seems alot of people are excited for one, not sure why but.... If it is a flat ride clone combo, leave the carnival super loop out, as if the mountain needs more inversions and its just half a$$ and dumb

One thing I keep hoping for is that they'll tear down the old "waterfront" restaurants. The food has always been pretty generic and every new food option they've added over the past couple of years has been way better (The wings by full throttle and the twisted wiches come to mind) than I expected. This is a big opportunity for them to revamp that entire area of the park. Regardless of what ride anchors the area, let's hope they do it up right.

--

Looking back over the past few pages, I'm surprised how much parity there is about X2. I'm in the camp that thinks it's the greatest of all time (Maverick is a close second). And I really don't think Fu11 Throttle is all that great. Although the airtime over the loop is pretty killer, it's just never done much for me.

I wonder if the thoughts on X2 are effected by age. While in my 20s, and even 30s, I think I would have rode the heck out of X2. I rode this for the first time about 3 or 4 years ago...ouch!

Now, at age 51, I will only ride it if my 17 Y/O daughter is with me, or I have someone with me that has never been on it. And at that, I will only ride it one time, and curse "Why the F do I do this to myself" when getting off. Taking one for the team I guess.

It is too bad it is such a violent ride, as there are some great elements. I just don't like being thrashed like a rag doll in the mouth of a pit bull.

I wonder if the thoughts on X2 are effected by age. While in my 20s, and even 30s, I think I would have rode the heck out of X2. I rode this for the first time about 3 or 4 years ago...ouch!

The first time I rode it I was 14 and I hated it with a passion. The second time I rode it I was 24 and I still hated it with a passion. Personally I don't think so, I think it's just a bad ride.

I only rode it the one time and while I thought the concept of it was mind-blowing, the ride was very difficult to enjoy, and I was glad when the ride was over. For the record I rode it when I was 23. We rode it while on my honeymoon and it's probably accurate that that was the first time, while married she was mad at me for something, and it was that she rode this. lol

I've ridden X2 many times and yet it's close to the top of my "skip it" list at SFMM; I'll jump on now and again if I'm feeling masochistic. At its best, it flings you around like a rag doll. At it's worst, it flings you around like a rag doll while trying to smash your skull open. First drop, raven turn, and second drop are pretty great but the fun tends to stop there. I've had the most luck sitting toward the back on the inside seats but even that's too unpredictable now — especially in those final flips where you're fighting to defend yourself from being attacked by the seat / restraint. The good thing about it these days is that there's rarely anyone in line. Part of the problem seems to be the way the seats bounce combined with how shuddery the rotations are, but I don't see any real way of fixing that problem outside of a complete re-tracking / train redesign.

With that said Apocalypse, Scream, Viper, and even Riddler in recent months have all climbed high on my "skip it" list due to how jarring they've become. Scream seems to go from tolerable to terrible and back again on the fly, whereas the rest have been consistently rough for some time. Apocalypse vacillates between moderate jackhammering to severe depending on the train (hopefully the retracking will help as the layout is fantastic). Viper isn't too rough if you ride defensively (or try that seat Robb mentioned which I'll be trying on my next visit) but it's just a shoddy ride overall — especially the parts after the MCBR. The last two rides we took on Riddler featured some spectacular headbanging that actually drew blood. Green Lantern, however, has been permanently off-limits for me since it first opened for many of the reasons expressed by others. When I go to the park these days, it's basically for Füll Thröttle (my favorite ride there), Goliath, Twisted Colossus, Ninja, and occasionally the mine train.

As far as the new area goes, I'd love to see the park really invest in comprehensive light packages. They've come a long way in that regard, but having visited Cedar Point at night recently, I've seen what can be done. I think a slew of flat rides would be killer with a comprehensive overhaul of much of the back of the park.

When I go to the park these days, it's basically for Füll Thröttle (my favorite ride there), Goliath, Twisted Colossus, Ninja, and occasionally the mine train.

for it's pretty much, Yolo, TC, Drop of Doom, Goliath. Superman on occasion along with Ninja. Tatsu if the line is short. Scream and Batman if i'm with someone who is interested.

but i can just do TC and Drop of Doom all day for all i care.

for it's pretty much, Yolo, TC, Drop of Doom, Goliath. Superman on occasion along with Ninja. Tatsu if the line is short. Scream and Batman if i'm with someone who is interested.

but i can just do TC and Drop of Doom all day for all i care.

Oh, I forgot Superman -- that one's great as long as there's no line I've ridden Drop of Doom a bunch of times but it still freaks me out to this day — even though I find the drop itself to be fairly tame. As far as Tatsu goes, I dislike the flying position. I think it's a fine ride — not too rough etc. — but I feel like I have to strain my neck just to see where I'm going. The best part of that ride, for me, is still the lift hill — which I think was a piece of design genius.