TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

On the Six Flags Magic Mountain website, it says that X2 and Apocalypse are "Temporarily Closed." In some earlier discussions, I saw that Apocalypse may be down for an extended time (?), but do any of the diehards on here know if X2 is now also closed for extended maintenance?

On the Six Flags Magic Mountain website, it says that X2 and Apocalypse are "Temporarily Closed." In some earlier discussions, I saw that Apocalypse may be down for an extended time (?), but do any of the diehards on here know if X2 is now also closed for extended maintenance?

X3 Confirmed!!!!!! #SFMM2017

SFMM got no hype for National Roller Coaster Day

/quote]

LAUSD started back today, plus its like 500 degrees outside. Other than the heat, probably a perfect day to be at the park

Ya buddie its toasty today. Clear skies no sign of thunderstorms and both parks are open until 6pm and peeps do show up for last 3 hours of park being open so wear a hat.

Make note SFMM season sort of ends Aug 28th as park does close prior to Labor Day and M-T the 29th-Sept 1st the park is not open so dont be that guy talking to the moose out front and bitchin that on the web site blah blah blah ... Its closed.

vtownhotttttttt.thumb.PNG.97743804ca253b79a6a5e879284798a8.PNG

I know X2 was open and running 2 trains when I was there on Saturday. Not sure about now.

Mini trip report!!!

Can confirm it's hot as balls.

Can confirm X2 is closed today. Time to put on our tin foil hats for X3!

Twisted Colossus running REAL well, but station is (still) infested with bees, making load times long and racing rare because people are freaking out about bees.

Scream however, not too hot... (Even with 102 degrees of Farenheit helping it out)

2 employees called out my TPR shirt.

Overall score of the day: 10 out of 10, would burn alive again.

^Still? I was there on Friday and there were no bees. Crew was doing good on Twisted Colossus...3 trains, dueling every time.

Aww man... Wish I was there that day. And I don't know... I've gone 4 times this summer, including today, and every time there was an excessive amount of bees trying to get at all the liquids people put on the left side. Maybe because it's hot?... Idk.

Regardless, I'm allergic to bees, but that doesn't stop me from riding, in my opinion, one of the best coasters in the world multiple times.

^Still? I was there on Friday and there were no bees. Crew was doing good on Twisted Colossus...3 trains, dueling every time.

Aww man... Wish I was there that day. And I don't know... I've gone 4 times this summer, including today, and every time there was an excessive amount of bees trying to get at all the liquids people put on the left side. Maybe because it's hot?... Idk.

Regardless, I'm allergic to bees, but that doesn't stop me from riding, in my opinion, one of the best coasters in the world multiple times.

It got really bad on Saturday too once the crowds started showing up. Like really bad. But first thing in the morning when the trains only had 4 or 5 people in them there wasn't a problem at all.

Does anyone know why X2 is down? It wasn't down 3 days ago. I wonder if it's maintenance or if something happened.

Wow! Tatsu is looking REALLY faded these days! Definitely could stand a fresh coat of paint on that before long...

most of magic mountain is badly faded.

Well, in fairness, I imagine the intense sun pouring over the park year-round makes them fade quicker than the seasonal parks (I know Xcellerator is badly faded too). Still, when a coaster is as visible, and as much of a marquee attraction as Tatsu, I would think they'd be vigilant to keep it looking good all the time.

Tatsu looks terrible for sure, but if they didn't paint it when they opened TNR (which it should have been since Tatsu is insanely visible from just about any angle above that ride) I have some well founded doubt that they will paint it anytime soon.

If anything the park might pull an Xcelerator and just let it fade to a uniform color... (Hopefully not)

At least the park has a real excuse as to why they aren't clamoring to repaint Tatsu; it will be very expensive considering its location.

X2 was painted in 2008 and still looks great. Tatsu was painted in 2006 and looks like a sucked on skittle. It would certainly be extremely difficult and expensive to paint Tatsu but I really wish they'd do it since it is one of their most visible and high profile coasters and the way it looks right now just screams apathy.

I dont know if it was technology or price that improved but everything that has been painted or installed since about 2008 still looks good (look at X2, still looks great - and it's very exposed to the sun in that corner over there!) - bite the bullet and paint Tatsu.

X2 was painted in 2008 and still looks great. Tatsu was painted in 2006 and looks like a sucked on skittle. It would certainly be extremely difficult and expensive to paint Tatsu but I really wish they'd do it since it is one of their most visible and high profile coasters and the way it looks right now just screams apathy.

I dont know if it was technology or price that improved but everything that has been painted or installed since about 2008 still looks good (look at X2, still looks great - and it's very exposed to the sun in that corner over there!) - bite the bullet and paint Tatsu.

X2 used really expensive paint, that was part of the whole conversion to X2.

Since X2 got painted, Viper, Ninja, Goliath, Scream, TC, Revolution, Batman, Superman, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting have all gotten some paint.

Viper looks pretty bad again, Ninja looks meh, Batman's paint is literally chipping off in areas, Goliath is getting pretty faded in some parts, and the rest look great because they were just painted. The only outlier here is Superman but that was again a different paint formula as they sprayed it on and didn't roll it on. So it's not a matter of just painting the ride, it's painting it with the right paint that really counts. Hopefully Magic will take that to heart and whenever they do decide to paint the ride they will actually use higher quality paint so it doesn't look like a suckled Skittle as you would say.

Since X2 got painted, Viper, Ninja, Goliath, Scream, TC, Revolution, Batman, Superman, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting have all gotten some paint.

Viper looks pretty bad again, Ninja looks meh, Batman's paint is literally chipping off in areas, Goliath is getting pretty faded in some parts, and the rest look great because they were just painted. The only outlier here is Superman but that was again a different paint formula as they sprayed it on and didn't roll it on.

I could be wrong but I could swear Viper and Ninja got painted right before or around the same time as X2. Was Goliath recently painted? Hmm I don't remember that. I thought Golitath was still on original paint, and though somewhat faded, it's colors lend well to fading, it doesn't look that bad. If Batman is chipping, I haven't looked close enough to notice. I don't think Ninja looks that bad either. It gets kind of dirty being in the trees, but the paint hasn't faded that badly. The color still looks good. Revolution and TC are N/A because TC is brand new and TNR was just painted.

Well anyway, Tatsu is definitely one of the park's marquee coasters, so because of that and also because I'm sure they don't want to have to paint it again for a very long time they absolutely should use the best possible paint when they repaint it, which I hope is soon. If a repaint of Tatsu were the entire 2017 announcement I would be elated. (Bonus - sky tower refurb!)