TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Here at the park and goodness will this Pokemon crap stop. I feel like saying put the phones down and enjoy the day with your family and friend's.

Its going to take a death or a bad injury to make people realize that their life is more valuable than a damn game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^Or perhaps they are locals with ridiculously cheap passes and excited to have a new reason to visit the park besides the same things they've done over and over and are doing exactly what you ask of them (enjoying a day with their family and friends)...

^Don't care. It's annoying as sh*t.

I'm so over people constantly staring at their phones, making their phone a priority over people in their vicinity or a priority over their own safety or what's going on in front of them. People have panic attacks the second they don't have their phone, they play annoying videos or audio with that tinny sound that sounds terrible, loud conversations that I nor anybody else cares about or wants to hear.

In a way I kinda wish the things would just go away, or have an automatic "mute" the second they walk out their front door.

As for The New Revolution, I was not willing to wait more than 20 minutes to ride with VR, and even during the season passholder preview, the line looked ridiculous. Currently being out of state, the chances of me actually getting to ride are slim to none. But honestly, I don't care. I'm just glad the OTSR's are gone for good!

What's hilarious is this VR crap absolutely exposes the ignorance of the park higher ups who obviously have no clue about capacity or park operation problems throughout the park, or maybe they simply don't care. 5-7 minute dispatches with 20 people on board? What a friggin joke. I feel even worse for the employees that have to clean the goggles AND deal with riders inevitably complaining about how long the line takes simply because the park, after decades of operations, has absolutely no clue how to properly staff a ride with this kind of technology.

Doesn't the park know the more time guests AREN'T in line, means MORE TIME they spend walking around spending money?

So SF announcements that's coming up on the First of September are going to go Three of our Top parks in the chain will receive Justice league Dark rides and the rest are getting Pokemon Go Towers and Gyms!!! There maybe a Superloop, a flat ride and some water slides thrown in there too Go Big Go Six Flags

I hope this is not the case and the reason SFMM has been so low key as to try and not give the coaster away until as close to the announcement as possible, There was a pic on facebook of footer Anchors behind Riddler and the poster guessed they were to repair some of Riddlers footers if that were the case they wouldn't be repairing the footer with those Anchors they would be replacing it with them, I've heard nothing about Riddler or any other coaster being being down needing any of their footers replaced so what else could they be for? ...For the new footers they are going to start building for the new coaster!!! I could be wrong and they are there to actually repair or replace some footers I guess we'll see

^^I'm not sure you can blame park executives for the VR. I'm going to guess Six Flags got a fat check from Samsung and the VR was forced upon them as a result.

Also, if you're annoyed by people on their phones in 2016...you're going to end up in the hospital with the worlds largest ulcer or something. I'm with you on people needing to be aware of their surroundings, but I have no problem with people enjoying themselves playing a silly game on their phones. One that actually encourages people to be physically active. So perhaps you really should not care and continue caring about the things that matter to you instead...

Edited by Jew

Im annoyed with people thinking everyone should live and operate their lives the way they do. How hard is it to not like something but still be ok with it? Dont like people staring at their phones? Dont become one of them. I personally couldn't care less what an individual does as long as I and others are safe. If someone wants to put themselves in danger cool.

As for The New Revolution, I was not willing to wait more than 20 minutes to ride with VR, and even during the season passholder preview, the line looked ridiculous. Currently being out of state, the chances of me actually getting to ride are slim to none. But honestly, I don't care. I'm just glad the OTSR's are gone for good!

What's hilarious is this VR crap absolutely exposes the ignorance of the park higher ups who obviously have no clue about capacity or park operation problems throughout the park, or maybe they simply don't care. 5-7 minute dispatches with 20 people on board? What a friggin joke. I feel even worse for the employees that have to clean the goggles AND deal with riders inevitably complaining about how long the line takes simply because the park, after decades of operations, has absolutely no clue how to properly staff a ride with this kind of technology.

Doesn't the park know the more time guests AREN'T in line, means MORE TIME they spend walking around spending money?

If you still wanna go on without OTSRs, use the single rider line for a minimal wait.

The ride is actually really well staffed, and it is not really their nor the guest's problem. It's just the technology for the most part. The phones can't be cleaned and charged fast enough to distribute to new guests in time for a full train to dispatch. So they either send half full trains or wait for all the VR to fill up, and then with adjusting the headsets, it takes 5-7 minutes and everyone is working hard. The problem is that a lot of the phones malfunction as well, and they do this either in the station (where it takes a little bit to get a replacement headset) or during the ride (where these riders get a reride). Also, they completely die after 2 or 3 times around the circuit. And they only started with 200 headsets, which I'm sure at least 10-15% of those have broken already. And you know how long it takes to charge these phones.

Everyone is working as hard as they can, and just if they had more cooperative/ greater quantity of technology, then the ride would be much more efficient.

Also: TIP: ride first thing in the morning and the line will move much faster because all the phones are fully charged so they can distribute them faster.

I'll be trying the VR on Iron Dragon at CP either tomorrow or Tuesday so I'll compare the experiences and let you know in terms of fun, quality, efficiency, etc.

The VR was a home run from a marketing perspective. Six Flags was on national news and even other news outlets that wouldn't normally report on a theme park. It made headlines. Have those headlines turned into a substantial windfall for the company? That's to be determined. However it's worth noting that Magic Mountain has not been meeting attendance projections this summer.

Is the VR poorly executed? Depending on who you ask, yes. Has the VR been a success? Depending on who you ask, yes. It all just depends on whose rose colored glasses you look through. Needless to say I think it's a safe bet that there will not be a repeat of 2016 and VR from here on out won't be viewed as such a novelty at the parks and they won't be able to generate the same amount of buzz around any ride that gets VR.

As for 2017, we'll just have to wait and see.

However it's worth noting that Magic Mountain has not been meeting attendance projections this summer.

I wonder if the record high temps a few weeks back are to blame, or the GP really isnt enticed by the VR gimmick. Maybe Harry Potter also had a bigger impact than they anticipated

However it's worth noting that Magic Mountain has not been meeting attendance projections this summer.

I wonder if the record high temps a few weeks back are to blame, or the GP really isnt enticed by the VR gimmick. Maybe Harry Potter also had a bigger impact than they anticipated

All my visits so far this summer (even on 4th of July weekend!) have been substantially less crowded than random weekends in January and February. It seems that the "off season" has actually been a busier time for the park than the "peak season". Which is just fine too. I know a lot of people have come for the VR, but not near the number that came for TC.

But the park has been much more enjoyable this summer. It seems like it is more properly staffed for the crowd levels it has now. Operations (outside of VR and Tatsu) have gotten better. Many repairs have been made. I think the park needed this lower peak season to catch up on some much needed maintenance and random projects around the park.

I can confirm to you that there are significant discussions going on at the highest levels of SF and Samsung management about whether this is working out, both at TNR as well as other parks with the new VR. Unfortunately, there is a contract with Samsung, so it's not going to disappear in 2016, but you may see this VR going away in 2017 based on what I'm hearing. Which will greatly increase capacity.

Additionally, although I can't speak for other SF parks, I know there are 2 Samsung technicians currently assigned strictly to the magical mountain. They are working behind the scenes both on and off-site, using analytics and examining broken headsets, working on improving the technology side of it. In theory, the VR idea is cool, but you can imagine the beating the phones and headsets are taking. Samsung is embarrassed about how half-ass the system is working since their name is plastered all over the parks and they are trying to do better. The biggest problem was that due to this being a completely new concept, they couldn't really do large scale testing of the whole system until people actually used them for extended periods of time. I'll let you know if I hear any more updates, but rest assured the SF management is well-aware of what's going on.

The VR experience will never be fully efficient (at any chain/park) until the headgear is designed in unison with the trains/restraints, on a 3-axis adjustability and 360 degree (or at least 180) maneuverability, and not to mention self cleansing. Which is never going to happen.

I can see a future for VR attractions in parks, but not so much on major rollercoasters unless they radically improve the tech. Even then, strapping a phone onto your face seems somewhat antithetical to riding a rollercoaster — to me, at least. With the rise of the whole pokemon thing, I wouldn't be surprised if such practices collide in some way at amusement parks. Perhaps the creation of a fenced space / warehouse where people can feel free to strap on a headset and chase pokemen or whatnot? A little bit like a designated smoking section, except one where people can play with their phones without interruption?

The VR could have been alot better. If you were able to shoot constantly throughout the ride would have been way better than just at the beginning before the gun breaks? Who thought of that? I understand it has to break because otherwise there would be no reason to try to escape for several minutes if you shoot the planes right away and destroy them all but if it was like a show like Voyage to the Iron Reef where you can shoot constantly at least would be more entertaining.

About the people complaining about how slow the VR line is on TNR, I mean before the VR no one rode the ride! The ride was always empty except on weekends or summer. If this were to happen to a great ride I understand but for a ride hardly anyone rode before to have a little wait so be it. You have the single rider line to get on it quick. Now if the VR was actually a better and great shooter...

They could improve alot. But that's MM we all are used to.

The popularity has definately gone up but i bet by not as much as it looks, the line just backs up because of the half full trains, re-rides and painfully slow disbatches....i bet it would still hold an improved ridership from the removal of the otsr's alone....went one day, it was raining so no VR and although the line wasnt to the midway it was still across the bridge, also didnt hear anyone saying i wish the VR was working....

What a rarity! And a great picture to boot!

I don't think there are many from that angle, when does a B&M stop at the MCBR nonetheless give someone the opportunity who is seated in the front take such a candid photo?

Hope you enjoyed your ride back to the station, I'm hundreds of miles away, but you just made me feel like I'm at home.

As to the few who wanted to know why we stopped, I don't know why but 2 ride attendants were walking the catwalk up the lift right before the train I was on dispatched. And next thing you know we hit an abrupt stop at the mcbr. We sat there for like 10min then the train released and then quickly stopped us right before we left out of it... then later it released again and we continued