TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Not sure about FT, but Poltergeist and the FoF clones are about average. Mr Freeze clones at SFOT and SFStL I haven't seen break down. I saw Powder Keg at SDC break down once but it only stayed down for ~10 minutes.

There's the Premier (and S&S) launch coaster reliability record from my memory.

As of today, X2 is back open and TC has returned to 3 train operations as the purple train has come out of maintenance.

i had no chance on x2 then as it was down for pretty much the whole week...

as for TC, how much quicker do they run with three trains - it seemed like forever with only two trains running. and how does it affect "racing" aspect of it?

and is it me or the lap bar a bit peculiar?

Much much faster with 3 trains. 2 trains takes forever, but not as bad as 1. With only 1, the most efficient crew can have about a 6 minute dispatch. Some water slides get a better capacity than that!

So I'm going on Sunday and I'm wondering if anyone has ever snuck in snacks, and if so how did you do it. (I'm a teenager and can't really afford buying lunch and dinner there so that's why I want to take in snacks)

Please follow all park rules. Leave food in your car and go get it when you are hungry (that's why they have the picnic area in the parking lot).

Park is dead right now... X2 is walk on with rerides and FT is 5 min wait

Wow was the rest of the park empty all day too?

Yes. TC was only running two trains (purple was off) and was about 40 min. Everything else had a really short wait. Tatsu was a station wait at 8:30.

How is the reliability for F/u/l/l Throttle? Not the capacity, just the reliability, because I am looking to see which manufacturer makes the most reliable launch coasters.

FT may be a bad example. I think it goes down a little more than average. It's kind of hard to judge reliability across all coasters by a manufacturer though, some designs like FT's are more prone to issues. Superman:UF at SFDK (also by Premier) is extremely reliable - though I'm sure it's happened, I can't remember ever seeing that coaster down for technical problems, and it by design only has one train. It's design has now been cloned, which is always a sign of superior reliability.

I know the Intamin accelerator coasters are infamous for breakdowns, and the Impulse shuttles even moreso...so Intamin may be at the bottom of the list. Maverick has pretty good reliability, but there aren't a lot of Blitz coasters to compare it to, and the launch isn't as touch as with other designs.

Anyway its a short list, because it would be unfair to put RMC and Vekoma in there as both have only recently put out their very first launch coasters. Schwarzkopf flywheel launch shuttles are very reliable, though there are very few left. The one in America at KBF is practically bulletproof, it rarely goes down. (Though when it does, its a lengthy delay).

It might be more fair to judge the reliability of the types of launch rather than the manufacturer. Within that I would still say that the coasters designed to just barely launch riders to the top such as FT and Dragster are more prone to issues just by their layout.

So let's say for uptime/reliability: Magnetic > Flywheel > Hydraulic probably (and still with an asterisk because I think all of the hydraulic launches are accelerators, so the lack in reliability is not usually due to the hydraulics but rather susceptibility to weather conditions). Is there another type I'm not thinking of?

Is there another type I'm not thinking of?

S&S makes Air Powered launched coasters, right (Powder Keg, Dodonpa). I'm not sure about the reliability of those, as I haven't gotten to a park that has one.

Powder Keg is iffy. It starts late about as often as it starts on time. Once it gets going, it tends to perform reliably the rest of the day. It does have issues with not being able to run in the rain, but that's due to the sensors on the moving track piece, and not the launch.

Mack makes launched coasters. Only been on Manta at Sea World San Diego and it was running all day--and that was quite a fun ride. Would really like to somehow ride Helix someday at Liseberg.

On Wednesday I will be making my annual trip to Magic Mountain. I have a couple of questions:

1. For the Discover Card entrance, is it only the person with the card that is allowed in or also the family members of the person with the card? My kids don't have Discover cards.

2. Are there any other single rider lines besides Lex Luthor, Riddler, Revolution, and Green Lantern?

3. I'm reading that X2's line tends to get shorter in the afternoon. Usually we ride X2 first followed by Tatsu and then Superman. Would a better strategy be Tatsu, Superman, rest of park, then X2 in afternoon? I'm certain my family will want to ride X2 twice, and I would rather wait longer for that than Tatsu. Usually we end the day with the second ride on X2.

4. The only ride we haven't gone on is Goliath (ran out of time 2 years ago, was missing its chain lift chain last year). Any recommendations where to fit that in during the day for a shorter wait?

Thank you in advance for your help.

How are the crowds the first week of October? We are going on a Friday literally right after we land after a flight from Japan. Only have one day, so want to get as much as we can in. Fly out the next day.

^ I'm not a local so I can't give you the best answer, but I visited the park on a Friday in October a couple of years ago and the place was pretty empty during the day. Every coaster I rode was a walk-on or station wait.

Mack makes launched coasters. Only been on Manta at Sea World San Diego and it was running all day--and that was quite a fun ride. Would really like to somehow ride Helix someday at Liseberg.

On Wednesday I will be making my annual trip to Magic Mountain. I have a couple of questions:

1. For the Discover Card entrance, is it only the person with the card that is allowed in or also the family members of the person with the card? My kids don't have Discover cards.

2. Are there any other single rider lines besides Lex Luthor, Riddler, Revolution, and Green Lantern?

3. I'm reading that X2's line tends to get shorter in the afternoon. Usually we ride X2 first followed by Tatsu and then Superman. Would a better strategy be Tatsu, Superman, rest of park, then X2 in afternoon? I'm certain my family will want to ride X2 twice, and I would rather wait longer for that than Tatsu. Usually we end the day with the second ride on X2.

4. The only ride we haven't gone on is Goliath (ran out of time 2 years ago, was missing its chain lift chain last year). Any recommendations where to fit that in during the day for a shorter wait?

1) I think that it is the cardholder and their family, but I would have to check

2) No. Sorry

3) Yes X2s line does get shorter in the afternoon. When you get to the park, run(or just briskly walk) to The New Revolution. Ride it with VR in the morning, then in the afternoon you can ride with single rider. They don't allow you to do VR with single rider. But, yes. I would do Revolution, Tatsu, Superman, other rides, and then from 2-4pm, do X2.

4) I have personally never ridden Goliath due to fear of blacking out (yes it's that intense), but everyone else says that it has virtually no airtime, and extremely high g-forces, to the point where people would grey/black out And it's super fun in the front row. It's pretty popular, so after Superman, go ride Twosted Colossus and then Golitah.

Hope this helps

Growing up at SFMM, I can't say I've ever noticed a point where the line is shorter during a point in the day vs another.

Yes it is intense, yes you're going to grey out. It's fun though. I like the front mostly because you kind of dangle over the drop before plummeting. Pretty fun.

Growing up at SFMM, I can't say I've ever noticed a point where the line is shorter during a point in the day vs another.

Yes it is intense, yes you're going to grey out. It's fun though. I like the front mostly because you kind of dangle over the drop before plummeting. Pretty fun.

Goliath's line is short for the first hour or so after opening and then shortens again in the last hour or so before closing. Any other time and it will probably be about the same length.

How are the crowds the first week of October? We are going on a Friday literally right after we land after a flight from Japan. Only have one day, so want to get as much as we can in. Fly out the next day.

those fright fest friday's are usually pretty dead during the day.

those fright fest friday's are usually pretty dead during the day.

I went on a fright fest friday last october. got on the 2nd row and 1 up from the rear row on TC, then went on a middle row of Golaith which had a decent wait oddly, longer then TC's was. Went on Lex and riddler and it was a walk on for both essentially then hit up Superman and rode the express down the mountain and left. It was really hot that day though. Nearly 100 I think.

Thanks for the help!

I'm going to try X2 in the afternoon this time.

Bummer that Goliath's line stays long most of the day, but as I recall the line moves decently fast with two train operation.

I'm just going to do the non-vr version of revolution with the single rider line. I remember riding it as a kid when it was only lapbars, so I'm excited to see how close it is to its original self.

If anybody else knows if entire families can use the discover card entrance, let me know.

1) I think that it is the cardholder and their family, but I would have to check

2) No. Sorry

3) Yes X2s line does get shorter in the afternoon. When you get to the park, run(or just briskly walk) to The New Revolution. Ride it with VR in the morning, then in the afternoon you can ride with single rider. They don't allow you to do VR with single rider. But, yes. I would do Revolution, Tatsu, Superman, other rides, and then from 2-4pm, do X2.

4) I have personally never ridden Goliath due to fear of blacking out (yes it's that intense), but everyone else says that it has virtually no airtime, and extremely high g-forces, to the point where people would grey/black out And it's super fun in the front row. It's pretty popular, so after Superman, go ride Twosted Colossus and then Golitah.

Hope this helps

1) I'm positive it's not JUST the cardholder, that would be crazy if you think about it, it would eliminate kids from that line completely. I'm not sure if there's a limit on how many people, but I think it's safe to assume your party would be fine if it's of a reasonable size.

2) Actually yes, Riddler's Revenge has single rider. Viper has it too, but it's rare that you'd actually need it.

4) Best time to hit Goliath is early in the morning when everyone else is rushing to X2, TC, and FT. It has maintained a pretty steady popularity and the line isn't often out of control but is almost always pretty steady. Flash Pass works well for Goliath (though running up and down those stairs kind of sucks)

If you don't want to grey out on Goliath, tilt your head to the left during the helix, so that your head reminds straight up and down with the ground (tilt your left ear towards your left shoulder). That keeps the blood from running out of your head which is what causes the grey out.

I haven't been to Magic Mountain yet, but I have used the Discover entrances at St. Louis and Great America, and both times they asked who was in my party. I pointed out my wife and three kids, and they let all of us in. I would expect Magic Mountain would do the same.