TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Does anyone else seem to notice that Superman launches way higher up the tower earlier in the day before gradually launching a little less higher as the day passes by. I noticed many early opening hour trains going way up into the "brakes" at the tip top before later launching a bit into the red zone of the tower later in the day. Idk. Interested in knowing the mechanics behind why that is so.

Due to the material properties of the LIMs, they become less effective the warmer they get. Unlike newer LSM systems which are programmed to compensate for this drop in efficiency, the more cycles and more sun exposure the LIMs on Superman experience, they weaker they become.

I wonder if they would ever consider upgrading the ride technology. Who am I kidding they will run that thing into the ground before they do that. It's sad that my home park allows it's best rides to suffer from horrible maintenance and slow dispatch time. Why should X2, full throttle, golaith, or tatsu ever run one train or twisted with only two (which I've seen on occasion) Why do they opt to just not run both sides of superman. It's little things like these that annoy me I'm just too into the rides themselves to stop going or cancel my membership.

Yes it's true, the park is closed today. As per their website - water pipe repair. I saw the same thing at Cedar Point a few years ago, and the park was closed for several days. The MM website says it will be open tomorrow - Tuesday.

Does anyone else seem to notice that Superman launches way higher up the tower earlier in the day before gradually launching a little less higher as the day passes by. I noticed many early opening hour trains going way up into the "brakes" at the tip top before later launching a bit into the red zone of the tower later in the day. Idk. Interested in knowing the mechanics behind why that is so.

Due to the material properties of the LIMs, they become less effective the warmer they get. Unlike newer LSM systems which are programmed to compensate for this drop in efficiency, the more cycles and more sun exposure the LIMs on Superman experience, they weaker they become.

Superman uses LSM's.

I wonder if they would ever consider upgrading the ride technology. Who am I kidding they will run that thing into the ground before they do that. It's sad that my home park allows it's best rides to suffer from horrible maintenance and slow dispatch time. Why should X2, YOLOcoaster, golaith, or tatsu ever run one train or twisted with only two (which I've seen on occasion) Why do they opt to just not run both sides of superman. It's little things like these that annoy me I'm just too into the rides themselves to stop going or cancel my membership.

Unfortunately Knott's is the same way now. I went on weekday last week and all the roller coaster lines were close to a hour wait with mostly one train operations and super slow dispatch times. it should not take two to three minutes to get a train out of the stations.

I'd like to see SFMM get the new Vekoma trains for Viper like they did this season for SFOG. Kind of continue the pattern of upgrading their older coasters.

Love this idea.

Lets just hope SF corp loves it too!

I wonder if they would ever consider upgrading the ride technology. Who am I kidding they will run that thing into the ground before they do that. It's sad that my home park allows it's best rides to suffer from horrible maintenance and slow dispatch time. Why should X2, YOLOcoaster, golaith, or tatsu ever run one train or twisted with only two (which I've seen on occasion) Why do they opt to just not run both sides of superman. It's little things like these that annoy me I'm just too into the rides themselves to stop going or cancel my membership.

Unfortunately Knott's is the same way now. I went on weekday last week and all the roller coaster lines were close to a hour wait with mostly one train operations and super slow dispatch times. it should not take two to three minutes to get a train out of the stations.

last week weekday? i was there a few days. never saw anything like you describe.

Superman uses LSM's.

Correct! My mistake. Same theory applies though.

Perhaps it is due to less people on the car? I go on this ride every time I go, and I go on it right away. I have often been the only one, or one of few on the car. I can state with certainty that I go higher when by myself, than with a full car. BTW....it is an awesome ride when alone....amazing how quiet, without all the screaming GP on it... If you make it your first ride at opening, you can always ride multiple times without getting back in line. 12 times is my personal best.

Based on my experience, I am sticking with my theory.

Are you referring to a Friday? In the month of May? That is crazy school group time...if its Mon-Thur, then I'm shocked to hear those wait times before Memorial Day weekend...

Definitely don't go this Friday, it's the first official day of Middle School Grad Nights. So seriously, say away.

I looked over the SFMM schedules for grad nights or days and this Friday the 27th is a High School Grad night and from 11pm until 5am. The next Junior High Grad Night is slated for June 3rd. Weird at all having a Grad night this weekend being its a Holiday weekend. But this Friday Grad day will not impact general park day as its later at night.

Yeah, man, that's why I only get the organic free range Takis. Totally worth the drive out to the Takis farm just to see their beautiful smiling faces as they roam free, singing and dancing. They cost a bit more, but what wouldn't you pay to make sure Takis have a happy life?

Lol are you one of those monsanto bashing, non GMO people?

When I'm eating a bag of Takis I expect it to be terrible for me and I don't care what's in them. If you're the kind of person who reads ingredient labels on everything you shouldn't be eating Takis. You clearly can't face the intensity.

PS: they're actually really good. We tried the "Nitro" one at the park since we were feeling festive. Lol

Has anyone tried Takis? I finally got it as the food pass snack. (advertised all over the park). I was looking at the ingredients. I can’t believe Six Flags allows this product to be sold/marketed. They taste pretty decent but this is a really nasty ingredient not seen in nearly any other snack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butylated_hydroxytoluene

BHT

“Antioxidant[edit]

BHT is also used as an antioxidant in products such as cosmetics, pharmaceuticals,rubber, electrical transformer oil (at 0.35%),[12] and embalming fluid. In the petroleum industry, where BHT is known as the fuel additive AO-29, it is used in hydraulic fluids,turbine and gear oils, and jet fuels.[13] BHT is also used to prevent peroxide formation in diethyl ether and other laboratory chemicals.[14]

Some additive products contain BHT as their primary ingredient, while others contain the chemical merely as a component of their formulation, sometimes alongside butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA).[citation needed]”

Hey they need that jet fuel, what do you think makes the chips hot?

Yeah, man. Don't be a sheeple. Non GMO is the way to go. Once you've seen free range Takis frolicking in the fields, you'll never go back to your old ways. Fight the corporate government mind control!

Yeah, man. Don't be a sheeple. Non GMO is the way to go. Once you've seen free range Takis frolicking in the fields, you'll never go back to your old ways. Fight the corporate government mind control!

I feel like I got high just from reading that post.

Definitely don't go this Friday, it's the first official day of Middle School Grad Nights. So seriously, say away.

I looked over the SFMM schedules for grad nights or days and this Friday the 27th is a High School Grad night and from 11pm until 5am. The next Junior High Grad Night is slated for June 3rd. Weird at all having a Grad night this weekend being its a Holiday weekend. But this Friday Grad day will not impact general park day as its later at night.

Woops yeah I looked at the schedule again and you're correct, I forgot to edit my post.

Although the attendance projection for Friday is also very high so still don't go.

Has anyone tried Takis? I finally got it as the food pass snack. (advertised all over the park). I was looking at the ingredients. I can’t believe Six Flags allows this product to be sold/marketed. They taste pretty decent but this is a really nasty ingredient not seen in nearly any other snack.

Honestly they do taste really good but this does surprise me because there is a reason barely any food uses this ingredient and the ones who had it replaced it with something safer. I mean it's illegal in so many countries so that isn't a good sign.

I am not crazy picky with what is in highly processed foods as I know they generally just aren't good for you in excess, but I still found this interesting/concerning.

Takis make my stomach hurt afterwards anyways so no more Takis for me (even though they taste good).