TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Yes heck with Cedar Point! This thread is all about the awesomeness that is Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Anyhow, we all love ((both)) of these very cool theme parks, but this thread is all about the park in the Alveys former home town.

Edited by BelizeIt

Tbqh, *shoulder shrug* is also my reaction to everything about Valravn

Mediocre coaster in a fantastic park. Shrug indeed.

Have you even ridden it yet? Because if not, you can't really say what type of coaster it is!

I have ridden it, and would take it over everything I've ridden (which DOESN'T include TC or YOLO) at SFMM , with the exception of Tatsu, and possibly X2 (though I found it less "rough" than that, which I prefer.)

Now, if you are are saying SFMM is full of mostly "mediocre" coasters, then by all means, carry on with your labeling of Valravn that way!

^Beat me to it

Tbqh, *shoulder shrug* is also my reaction to everything about Valravn

Mediocre coaster in a fantastic park. Shrug indeed.

Mediocre coaster in a mediocre park. Makes sense to me. No shrug necessary.

As for the Valveronomenoblaykeron link, I didn't mind clicking it because the female reporter was a fox! Although the coaster enthusiast was awkward and cringe inducing lol.

As for the Valveronomenoblaykeron link, I didn't mind clicking it because the female reporter was a fox! Although the coaster enthusiast was awkward and cringe inducing lol.

I had to watch it after you wrote this, and I face-palmed when he didn't even try to describe what a dive coaster was. Guess she was the prettiest lady he had talked to in a while!

As for SFMM... it would be interesting if they tried to get a dive coaster in the next few years because of CP, but as much as I do love dive coasters, I'd be more in favor of them getting something completely new and unique. Of course, it's gotta be record-breaking!

I had to watch it after you wrote this, and I face-palmed when he didn't even try to describe what a dive coaster was. Guess she was the prettiest lady he had talked to in a while!

As for SFMM... it would be interesting if they tried to get a dive coaster in the next few years because of CP, but as much as I do love dive coasters, I'd be more in favor of them getting something completely new and unique. Of course, it's gotta be record-breaking!

I think a dive coaster would be a huge hit for SFMM as I doubt many of the typical SFMM crowd has ever been on one. They could make it a little bigger than Valravn and then market it as the biggest, fastest dive coaster in the world. Although, if SFMM is going to spend money on a major B&M coaster, I'd rather see them get a Giga like Fury 325 than a dive coaster. But if a Giga is out of the question, then a record breaking dive coaster would be my 2nd choice.

Please note that the April Fool's "rumor" posted came from a site that we don't link to on TPR.

...And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Aside from the dive parts, how is the rest of the coaster different from any other sit down B&M? Why would they simply want to add another looping coaster? SFMM has stated that they are looking to complement their collection not necessarily have the most coasters, which is why added the rather mediocre Scream.

Aside from the dive parts, how is the rest of the coaster different from any other sit down B&M? Why would they simply want to add another looping coaster? SFMM has stated that they are looking to complement their collection not necessarily have the most coasters, which is why added the rather mediocre Scream.

Based on that theory, then a state of the art 4D Dark Ride would be a perfect addition to the park. Get ready for battle Southern Californians!

Based on that theory, then a state of the art 4D Dark Ride would be a perfect addition to the park. Get ready for battle Southern Californians!

Six Flags is too dumb to realize that. It is why their numbers are down while CF is up, even with more parks.

Only in our dreams will this happen... it's magic mountain, they don't do anything other than rollercoasters (well almost)

(but yeah, completely agree that magic mountain needs a good dark ride)

Six Flags is too dumb to realize that. It is why their numbers are down while CF is up, even with more parks.

Yeah. It's only their sixth consecutive record year and they just had the best first quarter in the company's history. Attendance was up 37% this past quarter following the trend of increasing attendance every quarter for recent history. They're basically on the brink of bankruptcy with how low their numbers are.

One thing to note about their "best first quarter ever": They still lost $46.9 million for the quarter. Cedar Fair lost $48, so I guess in that regard Six Flags wins!

To be fair though, they are in much better shape than they were prior to the bankruptcy. They are growing attendance and revenue while the economy is doing good and the entire industry (well, except for maybe Sea World) is growing. My only concern with that would be that they are still growing it the same way that got them into trouble last time: cheap tickets/passes and lots of capital investment.

I don't disagree that long term their current business model is not sustainable and that Cedar Fair is a far better company. But to say that they aren't doing well when they are pumping out quarter after quarter of record results is just being biased or ignorant to the facts. Q1 has always been a net EBITA loss for Six Flags but this quarter was the first in the company's history with a positive net EBITA.

I will be in Chicago for work next month and I'm hoping to hit up SF Great America while I'm there. Does anyone know if I will get free parking there with my SFMM Gold Season pass? Also, will my meal plan work there or are they limited to just the park you purchased them at? Lastly, does anyone know if the other SF parks do a Gold early entry like SFMM does? Any advice would be appreciated.

I will be in Chicago for work next month and I'm hoping to hit up SF Great America while I'm there. Does anyone know if I will get free parking there with my SFMM Gold Season pass? Also, will my meal plan work there or are they limited to just the park you purchased them at? Lastly, does anyone know if the other SF parks do a Gold early entry like SFMM does? Any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure about the food pass, but my gold pass worked at SFOG for parking when I went last Sept.

Yes on both. Early entry in Chicago, but you're first to get in line. Last year, no rides running early...

I don't disagree that long term their current business model is not sustainable and that Cedar Fair is a far better company. But to say that they aren't doing well when they are pumping out quarter after quarter of record results is just being biased or ignorant to the facts. Q1 has always been a net EBITA loss for Six Flags but this quarter was the first in the company's history with a positive net EBITA.

You can pump out great quarterly reports, but when total liabilities keeps climbing you cant really say they're doing real well. Total liabilities hit over $2.4Bil this past quarter.

The 3 times I rode it a few weeks ago, I hated the VR. My first ride it didn't work at all, so I had to ride with a clunky headset strapped to my head in the dark. My second ride the VR worked, but was slightly behind the actual coaster movement and caused me to get a bit queasy. I ended up finishing the ride eyes closed with a clunky headset strapped to my head in the dark. My last ride was headsetless and it was great. The refurbed trains track much better and the ride is awesome as is.

Twisted Colossus!

Dining pass depends on if it's a "Gold" pass or not. Gold gets food at all parks.