TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

We interrupt your regularly scheduled thread to bring you sh*t hats...

Now available at Magic Mountain...

"Why flush it when you can wear it?"

"Feeling surrounded by sh*theads? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

Hey everyone - we are headed to SFMM in a few weeks. I haven't been there for a few years (since Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus opened) and wanted some advice.

The last 2 times I went, we headed straight to X2, which worked out well. With the new additions is that still a strong strategy for an out-of-towner who doesn't make it to the park very often? Does X2 normally open with the park during the summer or does it take awhile to test it and get it up and running?

Let me know if there's an alternative strategy out there, or if something else fills up quickly and has long waits the rest of the day that we should consider going on early.

I know that New Revolution will probably have a long line because of VR... I don't think any in our group are interested in the VR but I'm extremely interested in riding it w/out OTSR's... so I guess I'll need to figure out when to ride that one. I wish they would have divided up the train so half is VR and half is w/out... but I understand why that might be more operationally difficult.

Hey everyone - we are headed to SFMM in a few weeks. I haven't been there for a few years (since YOLOcoaster and Twisted Colossus opened) and wanted some advice.

The last 2 times I went, we headed straight to X2, which worked out well. With the new additions is that still a strong strategy for an out-of-towner who doesn't make it to the park very often? Does X2 normally open with the park during the summer or does it take awhile to test it and get it up and running?

Let me know if there's an alternative strategy out there, or if something else fills up quickly and has long waits the rest of the day that we should consider going on early.

I know that New Revolution will probably have a long line because of VR... I don't think any in our group are interested in the VR but I'm extremely interested in riding it w/out OTSR's... so I guess I'll need to figure out when to ride that one. I wish they would have divided up the train so half is VR and half is w/out... but I understand why that might be more operationally difficult.

YOLO, Tatsu, and X seem to be the rides where the lines pretty much never die down. Twisted Colossus is really popular, but always running three trains keeps it moving along at a decent pace. If you run to Revolution really quick, then you can hop off and still be in the same neighborhood as X and Tatsu.

I guess you just have to decided which set (X, Tatsu, Rev vs YOLO, TC, Drop of Doom) you're most excited for.

^Go to X2 first. They are only running one train and that line gets up to and stays at 3 hours on weekends and 60-90 minutes on weekdays. Revolution won't get much more than 30-45 min on weekends... YOLO won't be much more than 40. Goliath also holds consistently long lines now as well so consider checking that one out.

Don't forget Superman. When I went twice last month I did X2, Tatsu and then Superman in that order with walk ons and re-rides. Superman later on in the day both times got as long as to the entrance! Get early rides in!

Is Superman still having issues with how high its reaching on the spike?

From what I've heard, the right side has been corrected. It was running left only when I visited last week and I'd say it got 90% of the way there. Breached the red zone, but not by as much as I remember being the norm.

When I went last Sunday I watched it a couple times, it was 1 tower "section" from the brakes.

I agree that doing the X2, Tatsu, then Superman loop first is probably the best way to get them out of the way. Maybe get on Ninja after Superman while you're on the hill. I usually keep Full Throttle for the last ride of the night, because the line is typically an hour all day. TC if it's inside the entrance, is about 30-45 mins. Single rider line on Lex and Riddlers! The rest is typically manageable, except for Goliath which I pretty much skip every time, not worth waiting more than 15 minutes for that one as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah normally you could wait until the afternoon to ride X2 when the line dies, but if it's only running 1 train that won't happen, so hit it first. I also recommend hitting Superman right after if you don't have a platinum flash pass.

When I went last Sunday I watched it a couple times, it was 1 tower "section" from the brakes.

I agree that doing the X2, Tatsu, then Superman loop first is probably the best way to get them out of the way. Maybe get on Ninja after Superman while you're on the hill. I usually keep YOLOcoaster for the last ride of the night, because the line is typically an hour all day. TC if it's inside the entrance, is about 30-45 mins. Single rider line on Lex and Riddlers! The rest is typically manageable, except for Goliath which I pretty much skip every time, not worth waiting more than 15 minutes for that one as far as I'm concerned.

This is good advice, I would also recommend doing X2, Tatsu, Superman to start off your day. The FullThrottle line is always around 45-60 min, but doesn't get as long as X2, Tatsu, or Superman. As long as TC is running 3 trains, the line moves really well and will be around 30-45 min as was previously mentioned. I wouldn't skip Goliath though, it's a fun hyper with a great first drop, a big floater airtime hill, and a really forceful helix at the end. Plus, it is incredibly smooth and the probably one of the most comfortable coasters ever built. It's a backseat ride for me, so that's where I'd recommend sitting.

Also, if you want to get one last ride before closing, just make sure you are in line before closing time and you will get to ride. They chain up the lines at closing time but everyone already in line gets to ride.

Edited by VegasBaby

I agree that doing the X2, Tatsu, then Superman loop first is probably the best way to get them out of the way. Maybe get on Ninja after Superman while you're on the hill. I usually keep YOLOcoaster for the last ride of the night, because the line is typically an hour all day. TC if it's inside the entrance, is about 30-45 mins. Single rider line on Lex and Riddlers! The rest is typically manageable, except for Goliath which I pretty much skip every time, not worth waiting more than 15 minutes for that one as far as I'm concerned.

This is good advice, I would also recommend doing X2, Tatsu, Superman to start off your day. The FullThrottle line is always around 45-60 min, but doesn't get as long as X2, Tatsu, or Superman. As long as TC is running 3 trains, the line moves really well and will be around 30-45 min as was previously mentioned. I wouldn't skip Goliath though, it's a fun hyper with a great first drop, a big floater airtime hill, and a really forceful helix at the end. Plus, it is incredibly smooth and the probably one of the most comfortable coasters ever built. It's a backseat ride for me, so that's where I'd recommend sitting.

Also, if you want to get one last ride before closing, just make sure you are in line and you will get to ride. They chain up the lines at closing time but everyone already in line gets to ride.

If you have a gold pass, you can easily go to fullthro11le first, if it is running, which it usually is. After a ride on that, you still will have time before the gates open to the GP to follow the above recommendation. Have a good time!

I know that the park is pretty dead on weekdays right now. When do weekdays start to get more crowded? I'm considering going sometime in the next few weeks (probably on a Wednesday/Thursday) but would like to go while the crowds are still very light.

I know that the park is pretty dead on weekdays right now. When do weekdays start to get more crowded? I'm considering going sometime in the next few weeks (probably on a Wednesday/Thursday) but would like to go while the crowds are still very light.

As long as it is still May, enjoy the empty park!

I believe that LA schools get out on June 10th, so I would expect weekdays to be crowded from June 13th until school resumes in mid-August.

It would appear that AAA is having an event on this Friday, the 6th (AAA Member Exclusive Night.) Does anyone suspect that to worsen the likelihood of the park being close to empty as it often seems to be on weekdays? Thanks a bunch.

We interrupt your regularly scheduled thread to bring you sh*t hats...

Now available at Magic Mountain...

"Why flush it when you can wear it?"

"Feeling surrounded by sh*theads? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

I would say I'm surprised, but it is SF.

It would appear that AAA is having an event on this Friday, the 6th (AAA Member Exclusive Night.) Does anyone suspect that to worsen the likelihood of the park being close to empty as it often seems to be on weekdays? Thanks a bunch.

Just so you know, its not just AAA...my Company, and many, many others here in So Cal are also included in the same deal on the same day...happens twice a year...so its busier than usual during the day (i.e. not dead) and crazy for the Private Party portion.

Just so you know, its not just AAA...my Company, and many, many others here in So Cal are also included in the same deal on the same day...happens twice a year...so its busier than usual during the day (i.e. not dead) and crazy for the Private Party portion.

Makes the daytime busier as the guests for the private event if they choose can come to the park earlier then the scheduled private event. I think only diff is if they come before perhaps 5pm they must pay for parking. 25% of the private event show up between noon-3 and the others just drift in after that.

My restraint on tatsu started vibrating today and the lady next to me had a full blown panic attack. It was actually quite hilarious. They had to explain everything to her and she screamed louder than anyone I've ever sat next to on any ride during the lift hill and the pretzel loop.