TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Anyone know how the crowds were today?

Super light. Was a really nice time today. Most rides were walk-ons, while Superman and Tatsu garnered lines which were still manageable. Waited only about 20min for Superman at the peak of the day. Tatsu was a walk-on at around 4pm. TC was a 5 min wait most they day. X2 was still only running one train so that line was lengthy until around closing time. Parking lot only filled to around the top gun stall on TC.

Very relaxed crowd and just an overall relaxing day. Got on about 10 coasters with plenty of rerides in the span of 4hrs. This is my favorite time of year to go.

I am going today Tuesday. Oh thanks for letting me know about X2 i'll go on that first then. I was planning on going on Superman and Tatsu on top of the hill first.

So something awesome happened yesterday.

Realizing that I would not visit SFMM in April or May and being the cheapskate that I am, I decided to cancel my Six Flags membership for two months, because why pay for a month that you won't visit. Also, for a reason that would take way to long to explain, I have 4 Six Flags memberships.

However, right after I cancelled them Six Flags sent an email saying "Hold up, instead of paying $28 a month for these 4 passes we'll let you pay only $18 a month". I still said no, but then Six Flags sent another email, this time offering $16 a month. I had to take up this offer.

Also, for some reason, even though my previous memberships were regular and had no parking, these new memberships that coast $4 a month each are Gold memberships and have free parking.

I am both ecstatic and really confused about why SF would give us such a great deal.

Has anyone else on here had experience with this or know why Six Flags is charging $48 a year for free parking and a gold pass?

^ And I'm curious why you didn't keep saying NO.....!

If you lost it, there, fine. Now you know, how low they were

willing to go. But maybe, just maybe they might have agreed

to go...even lower than what you bought them at? Still?

All the same, a great deal!

So something awesome happened yesterday.

Realizing that I would not visit SFMM in April or May and being the cheapskate that I am, I decided to cancel my Six Flags membership for two months, because why pay for a month that you won't visit. Also, for a reason that would take way to long to explain, I have 4 Six Flags memberships.

However, right after I cancelled them Six Flags sent an email saying "Hold up, instead of paying $28 a month for these 4 passes we'll let you pay only $18 a month". I still said no, but then Six Flags sent another email, this time offering $16 a month. I had to take up this offer.

Also, for some reason, even though my previous memberships were regular and had no parking, these new memberships that coast $4 a month each are Gold memberships and have free parking.

I am both ecstatic and really confused about why SF would give us such a great deal.

Has anyone else on here had experience with this or know why Six Flags is charging $48 a year for free parking and a gold pass?

that's a great deal, i pay like $5.50 now for my gold membership. i bet it had something to do with having 4? i don't know. i know you can do that with sirius satellite radio. they keep coming with the offers at a fraction of the price they normally charge if you cancel.

^ And I'm curious why you didn't keep saying NO.....!

If you lost it, there, fine. Now you know, how low they were

willing to go. But maybe, just maybe they might have agreed

to go...even lower than what you bought them at? Still?

All the same, a great deal!

The second time they said "this is our last offer"

I went through the cancellation process online. They made an offer, saying one time only. I declined. They came back with another, and said it was the final. I ended up taking it. I have two memberships, and my offer was 11.98 total monthly. For gold. I guess I could have went through the cancel, and hope for a better deal. I was afraid I would not get one. I might try that after the summer is over. I usually don't go from December through March anyway.

And yes...always call to cancel satellite radio. I always get a price at less than half of the renewal charge. Maybe that is another I will follow through and cancel all the way and hope for an e-mail....

And yes...always call to cancel satellite radio. I always get a price at less than half of the renewal charge. Maybe that is another I will follow through and cancel all the way and hope for an e-mail....

i continue to get emails years after. that's one i wouldn't worry about. lol

Hi everyone!

I may visit the park for just 5 hours, during the second to last week in June, to ride all of the coasters at least once; which Flash Pass is really the best and cheapest option for my short visit?

I can see multible scenarios:

Purchase the Regular Flash Pass:

Try to ride a different coaster waiting for each new reservation, repeat. Significant time will be spent waiting the hours for coasters that are excluded without Platnium.

Purchase the Gold Flash Pass:

Create each new reservation once you pass the Flash Pass entrance, walk to that coaster you just reserved, and hopefully enough time has passed to almost immediately repeat. Significant time will be spent waiting the hours for coasters that are excluded without Platnium.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Purchase the Platnium Flash Pass:

Create a new reservation, walk to that coaster you just reserved, ride it, and repeat. Significant time will be saved not waiting the hours for coasters that are normally excluded with Gold or Regular.

I went to the park Wednesday. Few comments.

Apocalypse is insanely rough now. Its been so long since I've ridden Psyclone but today's ride quickly reminded me again how it was.

I was allowed to ride revolution at around 4 pm even though I made my appointment the day before and didn't go.(She said the voucher is good for 2 days) When I first put on the headset I saw the collaborate message on the screen but I was too busy trying to adjust the straps and get a good fit. Finally when it was time to ride the on screen display was blurry and I couldn't re-collaborate so the blurriness made me very nauseous to the point where I almost took it off during the ride. Also because I could hardly see my gun "broke"? so most of the ride my plane was just flying and I couldn't shoot. Anyone have that problem? I overheard someone else after the ride say she could hardly see because it was blurry also.

Parking lot was 1 1/2 sections full. Most rides a walk on or 1 or 2 train wait.

When I first put on the headset I saw the collaborate message on the screen but I was too busy trying to adjust the straps and get a good fit. Finally when it was time to ride the on screen display was blurry and I couldn't re-collaborate so the blurriness made me very nauseous to the point where I almost took it off during the ride. Also because I could hardly see my gun "broke"? so most of the ride my plane was just flying and I couldn't shoot. Anyone have that problem? I overheard someone else after the ride say she could hardly see because it was blurry also.

Parking lot was 1 1/2 sections full. Most rides a walk on or 1 or 2 train wait.

To focus your headset you use the button on top of the headset. roll it back and forth until the scene comes into focus. Your gun was suppose to break so your pilot can take over shooting and you could enjoy the ride.

Hi everyone!

I may visit the park for just 5 hours, during the second to last week in June, to ride all of the coasters at least once; which Flash Pass is really the best and cheapest option for my short visit?

Try to ride a different coaster waiting for each new reservation, repeat. Significant time will be spent waiting the hours for coasters that are excluded without Platnium.

Create each new reservation once you pass the Flash Pass entrance, walk to that coaster you just reserved, and hopefully enough time has passed to almost immediately repeat. Significant time will be spent waiting the hours for coasters that are excluded without Platnium.

Create a new reservation, walk to that coaster you just reserved, ride it, and repeat. Significant time will be saved not waiting the hours for coasters that are normally excluded with Gold or Regular.

You really cant have it both ways. The cheap way would be to get a gold flash pass and hit the excluded coasters strategically, but then you wont be able to ride everything in 5 hours.

If you want to ride every coaster in 5 hours, (especially in June), you're probably going to need the platinum pass. In my experience the wait time is about the same as gold, but you need the platinum pass to buy the reservations on a coaster or two and if I remember right there are a few coasters that are just "platinum fp only" this year that dont actually require a reservation. I think Superman is one of those.

Hi everyone!

I only get to visit SFMM once a year (not including West Coast Bash). If I'm visiting on a busy day (which usually seems to be the case), I go straight for a Platinum Flash Pass. Gold cuts your wait time by 50%, while Platinum reduces it by 90%. It has always, always, been worth it. Personally, I run straight to X2, as I don't want to pay extra to ride it. I also do this because I have a Gold Season Pass and can get in early, run to the ride, and be the first in line. Once I'm done riding, I leave the ride (silently enjoying the fact that I don't have to wait in the 2+ hour line that has now formed) and go get my Flash Pass (before the lines there build up). Then, the park is my oyster, and I can ride everything else, including the 1 time rides on FT and TC. It's not the cheapest option, but it's absolutely worth it. You should be able to ride everything at least once.

We very rarely get to this park so we always opt for Platinum. Last time we were able to hit all the coasters (most with multiple rides) and had time to re-ride our favorites (Ninja and Tatsu) plus 2 rides each on Lex Luthor and Jet Stream. Our last visit was during Yolo construction.

The double rides were a really nice bonus. If we went back we'd probably do the same thing and get even more rides in now that we know we can skip Green Lantern, Riddler and X2 because they suck.

I go straight for a Platinum Flash Pass. Gold cuts your wait time by 50%, while Platinum reduces it by 90%. It has always, always, been worth it. Personally, I run straight to X2, as I don't want to pay extra to ride it. I also do this because I have a Gold Season Pass and can get in early, run to the ride, and be the first in line. Once I'm done riding, I leave the ride (silently enjoying the fact that I don't have to wait in the 2+ hour line that has now formed) and go get my Flash Pass (before the lines there build up). Then, the park is my oyster, and I can ride everything else, including the 1 time rides on FT and TC. It's not the cheapest option, but it's absolutely worth it. You should be able to ride everything at least once.
I know that's what they advertise, but in my experience over several years with people with both platinum and gold passes, the platinum and gold passes almost always show rides ready at virtually the same time. There might be more of a difference on exceptionally busy days, but there hasn't been on any normal day.

The platinum pass is still worth it for the other things it provides, and I might get one for the first time this year for that reason.

I go straight for a Platinum Flash Pass. Gold cuts your wait time by 50%, while Platinum reduces it by 90%. It has always, always, been worth it. Personally, I run straight to X2, as I don't want to pay extra to ride it. I also do this because I have a Gold Season Pass and can get in early, run to the ride, and be the first in line. Once I'm done riding, I leave the ride (silently enjoying the fact that I don't have to wait in the 2+ hour line that has now formed) and go get my Flash Pass (before the lines there build up). Then, the park is my oyster, and I can ride everything else, including the 1 time rides on FT and TC. It's not the cheapest option, but it's absolutely worth it. You should be able to ride everything at least once.
I know that's what they advertise, but in my experience over several years with people with both platinum and gold passes, the platinum and gold passes almost always show rides ready at virtually the same time. There might be more of a difference on exceptionally busy days, but there hasn't been on any normal day.

The platinum pass is still worth it for the other things it provides, and I might get one for the first time this year for that reason.

I visited the park two years in a row at the same time (spring break), and used Gold the first time and Platinum the second time. The first time I visited, lines were roughly the same length. Tatsu, for example, was about an hour wait. The first year, using the gold level, the adjusted wait time was about 30 minutes. The second visit, using the platinum level, the adjusted wait time held steady at 6 minutes all day. Both correlated with the advertised reduction in wait time. Perhaps there is a difference, as you say, on exceptionally busy days (it does advertise wait reductions of "up to" 90%). I found, however, that reductions in wait time were indeed 50% for gold and 90% for platinum. Perhaps mileage varies depending on the day? I agree with you that, for all the other bonuses it provides, and for a first time visitor, platinum is the way to go.

Thanks for all the replies to my question! I really appreciate it.

But the more I think about it, the more Gold seems NOT to be the way to go. If you can return at any time following the given wait for the reservation. Can't you pretty much accomplish the same thing as my first scenario (with Regular Flash Pass) and ride a different coaster waiting for each new reservation in roughly the same amount of time? I don't know. Maybe I am thinking about this too much and confusing myself. I should just go with Platnium and save myself the headache.

As for the person who thought Gold and Platnium times were no different. Crowds (and their accompanying wait times) would make a percentage far more perceivable when you think about it.

I should just go with Platnium and save myself the headache.

For what it's worth, SFMM is my home park, so I know when to go and how to navigate the place to avoid crazy crowds. As the result, the idea of any kind of fast pass at that park seems bizarre to me. However, I just visited Six Flags Over Texas for the first time a few weeks ago and, knowing that I wouldn't be back anytime soon, I splurged on the platinum pass. It was perfect, and I didn't regret it once. My point is that your point about avoiding the headache is totally legit and sounds like a good enough reason to pay for the platinum — especially at place that has as many rides as SFMM. I'm pretty sure that I'll be buying fast passes for any park I visit that draws a big crowd and that I probably won't be returning to in the near future.

Thanks for all the replies to my question! I really appreciate it.

But the more I think about it, the more Gold seems NOT to be the way to go. If you can return at any time following the given wait for the reservation. Can't you pretty much accomplish the same thing as my first scenario (with Regular Flash Pass) and ride a different coaster waiting for each new reservation in roughly the same amount of time? I don't know. Maybe I am thinking about this too much and confusing myself. I should just go with Platnium and save myself the headache.

As for the person who thought Gold and Platnium times were no different. Crowds (and their accompanying wait times) would make a percentage far more perceivable when you think about it.

Yeah, I am usually good about avoiding exceptionally busy days, so that probably adds to it. But like scooter says, if this is your first time, you're short on time while in the park, or you might never come back, then just splurge on the platinum and relax.

Personally for me once they made Superman a platinum only attraction, that may have nudged me into the platinum camp, because Superman for me is my least enjoyable queues. It's cramped and slow moving (especially in the "short" lane) and if the A/C isnt working can get nasty hot and smelly in there.

I would definitely get the Platinum Pass. It makes the day so much less stressful and easy going. No need to rush from ride to ride and if one breaks down, no problem, you can just come back later and have a short wait.

With the Platinum Pass, it says it's $125/person. If there are two people in your party and you ordered online, would you have to pay $250 or would it be ok to just pay $125? (I don't know how closely they monitor these devices once you’re at the park.) Also, are you able to arrive at The Flash Pass entrance before it’s your time to ride? Thanks.