TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It is really quite sad with the amount of crowd this park brings in, at $20 a car for parking, that they can't possibly afford to maintain efficient operations that provide 2 train operation on some of their marquee attractions throughout the year.

Someone who's in charge of financial decisions at the park/company/SF is an idiot and just isn't doing their job right.

Am I a fool to think: Less time in line=more time to spend money on upcharged food/beverage/souvenirs/miscellaneous products that really make this company money? You'd think their priority would be less time in line, more time walking through the park, results in more profit because they charge things like $4 for a soda that costs them 10cents.

So weird to me.

Six Flags has gone from bankrupt and its stock being worthless to its stock now being $53/share. The finance guys are doing something right. You'd have to sell an awful lot of soda to make up for the cost being saved by going extremely slow on maintenance or not buying an extra train.

The issue is that their business model is still based on keeping costs down and giving away the gate. That is always going to produce crappy operations.

The issue is that their business model is still based on keeping costs down and giving away the gate. That is always going to produce crappy operations.

Quoted for truth.

It is really quite sad with the amount of crowd this park brings in, at $20 a car for parking, that they can't possibly afford to maintain efficient operations that provide 2 train operation on some of their marquee attractions throughout the year.

Someone who's in charge of financial decisions at the park/company/SF is an idiot and just isn't doing their job right.

Am I a fool to think: Less time in line=more time to spend money on upcharged food/beverage/souvenirs/miscellaneous products that really make this company money? You'd think their priority would be less time in line, more time walking through the park, results in more profit because they charge things like $4 for a soda that costs them 10cents.

So weird to me.

Theme parks are a very expensive operation, they are labor intensive, maintenance intensive, capital intensive, etc. Ever wonder why Comcast initially wanted out of the theme park game after they bought Universal? It would have been a huge windfall for the company and gotten them out of a potential money sucking black hole. Granted they ultimately decided against that and the rest is history but I digress...

Every chain has their take on the theme park business model; Six Flags' take is to keep overhead (relatively) low, incentivize paying customers with a low barrier to entry and then upsell like crazy. Just getting people in the gate makes them money due to the park-wide ads (more eyeballs=more money). Depending on whether you are a shareholder or a paying customer, your view of how Six Flags does business could change pretty drastically, but one thing is for certain, their finance guys definitely know what they're doing.

So unless Six Flags decides to change some of their core business model, an understaffed maintenance and cycle shop getting behind on both regular and preventative maintenance, understaffed rides with operations that turn short lines into long lines, apathetic employees who display no motivation to exceed at their job, etc. will continue to be par for the course.

Is it the business model that we as theme park and roller coaster enthusiasts like? No. Do the shareholders care what we think? No.

I wish the principle of good quality customer service came into play a bit more. I can't help but wonder how many people are turned away and don't repeat visit because of the bad quality of their operations and such. I guess there's still enough people going through the turnstiles to where that doesn't really matter. A shame, really, that the $$$ is just too loud for them to care.

Are schools out on spring break next week, or was it this past week? Thinking of going up on Wednesday to avoid the crowds for New Revolution on Thursday. How crowded do you suppose it'll be?

I still have one more week of break, but I'm probably no help since I live two hours away. The park is open until 8:00 during the week both this week and next week, so I imagine they are still expecting Spring Break crowds.

Are schools out on spring break next week, or was it this past week? Thinking of going up on Wednesday to avoid the crowds for New Revolution on Thursday. How crowded do you suppose it'll be?

Yes schools are still out for up to several more weeks. Regardless of what day your going and if you are a season or membership passhole you need a reservation to ride Revolution. So pull down the drop down menu and make res and looks like Thursday ride times are just about gone.

When is it supposed to go into full operational mode? Do they have a date for that yet?

I saw somewhere that it's April 21st, but I can't find anything on SFMM's site to verify. On the site, it just says that it will open at a later date this spring.

Just got off the New Revolution open to Season Pass holders. I'm not sure if anyone else posted a New Revolution review earlier, but I can say that the new ride is a MILLION times better. The lap bars are a huge improvement and the virtual reality is a really cool. I will admit that I was skeptical about it at first, but it's a really cool addition to the ride. The only issue is that the operations were painfully slow as it's clear that they aren't trained for the VR technology. Hopefully that gets fixed soon. But aside from that, 2 big thumbs up for the New Revolution.

I got to ride it too, and had the same impressions. I wasn't sure about the VR, but ended up enjoying it. They did a great job of syncing the animation to the ride. The most important thing to know is that my part of three did not have reservations. We just checked in a few times throughout the day and if people hadn't shown up for their reservations (and you had a SP), then they let you ride.

For those who don't know, the animation is an "Independence Day" type dog fight against aliens in large city, with a huge alien mothership overhead. The banks and turns of the rollercoaster sync with banks and turns of your ship, with the loop being a huge "flyaround" of an alien ship. My favorites were the brake stations, where they had you fly through a building or hit some billboards. When you're waiting for the ride to start, you are sitting in the hangar, with the guns on the ship active so you can shoot stuff and look around. As you ascent the lift hill, the ship rises out of the hangar, with targets on the walls for you to shoot. Then, you are launched into the action and about two seconds later your gun gets shot off so you can't actually shoot at anything. I suspect this is done because the trigger is on the side of the visor, so you have to have one arm against the side of your head.

Which reminds me of the most interesting thing I saw all day:

Two thumbs up for the new Revolution!

Just got off the New Revolution open to Season Pass holders. I'm not sure if anyone else posted a New Revolution review earlier, but I can say that the new ride is a MILLION times better. The lap bars are a huge improvement and the virtual reality is a really cool. I will admit that I was skeptical about it at first, but it's a really cool addition to the ride. The only issue is that the operations were painfully slow as it's clear that they aren't trained for the VR technology. Hopefully that gets fixed soon. But aside from that, 2 big thumbs up for the New Revolution.

I got to ride it too, and had the same impressions. I wasn't sure about the VR, but ended up enjoying it. They did a great job of syncing the animation to the ride. The most important thing to know is that my party of three did not have reservations. We just checked in a few times throughout the day and if people hadn't shown up for their reservations (and you had a SP), then they let you ride. So while you aren't guaranteed a ride without a reservation, it's definitely worth a shot. And yes, it was taking them about five or ten minutes to dispatch a train, so even if the line is just barely out of the station, plan on being there for a while.

For those who don't know, the animation is an "Independence Day" type dog fight against aliens in large city, with a huge alien mothership overhead. The banks and turns of the rollercoaster sync with banks and turns of your ship, with the loop being a huge "flyaround" of an alien ship. My favorites were the brake stations, where they had you fly through a building or hit some billboards. When you're waiting for the ride to start, you are sitting in the hangar, with the guns on the ship active so you can shoot stuff and look around. As you ascent the lift hill, the ship rises out of the hangar, with targets on the walls for you to shoot. Then, you are launched into the action and about two seconds later your gun gets shot off so you can't actually shoot at anything. I suspect this is done because the trigger is on the side of the visor, so you have to have one arm against the side of your head.

Which reminds me of the most interesting thing I saw all day:

Two thumbs up for the new Revolution!

So weird to me.

exactly... it pisses me off even thinking about it but its all about the bills, dollars, dividends!!

^To an extent: If the capacity is too great, guest won't stay as long and the compulsions (hunger, thirst, shopping, nagging kids, etc) will decrease. Running at a higher capacity comes at a higher expense of resources too.

I read somewhere last night on these forums about the finacial managers of Six Flags. Apparently they have been very successful in this era. They are geniuses; yet, it is apparent that that does not seeem apparent.

When is it supposed to go into full operational mode? Do they have a date for that yet?

I saw somewhere that it's April 21st, but I can't find anything on SFMM's site to verify. On the site, it just says that it will open at a later date this spring.

One of the managers at our ride preview yesterday seemed certain that April 21st was the official public opening date. I haven't seen any media on this though, which is surprising because you would think their advertising department would want to give the public at least a months notice in advance to generate hype and get folks planning trips. Idk, I speculate the tech rehearsals for the VR could possibly make setting a public opening date in stone a little sketchy.

^To an extent: If the capacity is too great, guest won't stay as long and the compulsions (hunger, thirst, shopping, nagging kids, etc) will decrease. Running at a higher capacity comes at a higher expense of resources too.

I read somewhere last night on these forums about the finacial managers of Six Flags. Apparently they have been very successful in this era. They are geniuses; yet, it is apparent that that does not seeem apparent.

They are good at doing what financial people do best: cutting costs wherever they can to improve the bottom line, which in turn enriches themselves.

Here's the reality: as long as people put up with the crappy operations, the financial guys have no incentive to do anything else. They found a formula that works for them, which is give away the gate to get people in and keep costs low.

Got to check out New Revolution :The VR Coaster yesterday, and was impressed. The whole experience is very well done, and it's been awhile since I've seen everyone clap and cheer and rave like they did this one. After all the negative early talk about what a terrible idea this was, looks like Six Flags got the last laugh this time. It's truly something that needs to be experienced at least once.

I also like what they did with the area surrounding the ride. It looks great.

I also rode Revolution on Saturday and it exceeded my expectations. I loved how, while riding, you could hear everyone telling the person they were riding with to look at different stuff around them. Also, hands down, the best part was everyone gets so engrossed in the VR that they forget where the loop is in the ride. So, all of a sudden you hear people talking and then an immediate surprise gasp/grown as the train goes through the loop. This is definitely a ride you would want to ride more than once because I'm sure there is stuff missed while riding.

Bad part was it broke down twice while waiting. What should have only been a 10 minute wait turned into almost an hour because the train keep stopping at the first breaks coming into the station which caused them to reset everything and cycle the train several times.

Oh, side note, I don't think it has been mentioned on here but they do not allow VR in front row. I believe it has something to do with the sticker posted on the back of each headrest that the VR units need to sync to not being able to be available in the front row.

Does anyone here know the SFMM rain policy during light to medium rain?

I don't know their actual rain policy but we went on a very rainy and windy day in February and I thought everything might close, but the only rides open were Scream, Batman, Riddler's, Apocalypse, Viper, and later Tatsu opened for a bit. They claimed the track needed to dry on TC before they would open it.

My only critique is that I feel the VR experience should have been done on a different coaster, if only to not "steal" the thunder from Revolution's overhaul.

I thought Scream would have a been a good option as there's no theming there and the ride never really draws much of a crowd. The maneuvers would have leant themselves well to a kind of swooping video game VR feel, but it's not in the best shape. Revolution, for me, is one of the best rides in the park because of the way it interacts with the landscape. It's one of the last rides I'd want to obscure my vision on, to be honest. Glad people are enjoying it so far though.