TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

honestly, i'm just glad it's still running 3 trains.

This. Twisted Colossus is fantastic when it duels, but it's still a great ride when it doesn't. As long as SFMM continues to run 3 trains, I'm happy. The ride is a disaster with only 2 trains.

Yes, dueling is a big part of the ride's design, but as long as 3 trains are on the track, I'm satisfied.

Been on TC twice...i only go to park maybe 3-4 times a year,and i live 10 minutes away, idk how you guys go so much, i would get burnt out on the same rides so fast, oh well thats not the point...1st time raced on the blue side 2nd time dueled both laps

This. Twisted Colossus is fantastic when it duels, but it's still a great ride when it doesn't. As long as SFMM continues to run 3 trains, I'm happy. The ride is a disaster with only 2 trains.

Yes, dueling is a big part of the ride's design, but as long as 3 trains are on the track, I'm satisfied.

Has it ever run only two trains? I thought I read that they always have three running and the fourth in the maintenance shop. Is that not true?

Has it ever run only two trains? I thought I read that they always have three running and the fourth in the maintenance shop. Is that not true?

I can't remember exactly when (maybe November or December), but there was a very short period of time where it ran two. It was inconsistent and maybe only for a few days, but I remember reading about it on Instagram.

I can't remember exactly when (maybe November or December), but there was a very short period of time where it ran two. It was inconsistent and maybe only for a few days, but I remember reading about it on Instagram.

Ouch. Glad that didn't last very long. Three already seems to me to be bare minimum given what the ride does.

Ouch. Glad that didn't last very long. Three already seems to me to be bare minimum given what the ride does.

Yeah we were there when they were only running two trains. It was last Fall some time on a Saturday, I think in October. The coaster had gone down for a bit (we wondered if they were removing the 3rd train). Not only was it only running two trains, the ops were being horribly slow in dispatching, and they were actually stacking the trains. That was the last time I got to ride that ride too

It doesn't stop on the lift hill because that in general scares guests and the ride has no way to know how long the other train might be in the station. It's generally not a good thing to stop unexpectedly then wait an undetermined amount of time before restarting. Signs and spiels only do so much to keep people calm in that sort of situation.

It doesn't stop on the lift hill because that in general scares guests and the ride has no way to know how long the other train might be in the station. It's generally not a good thing to stop unexpectedly then wait an undetermined amount of time before restarting. Signs and spiels only do so much to keep people calm in that sort of situation.

Back in 07 I went on dueling dragons and I pulled out my camera to make a video, but right before we went up on the lift hill they stopped the trains. The fire one was halfway up the lift and us on the ice one was stopped at the bottom & they made me put my camera away....

After I did, then the coaster continued and the red train didn't move until we matched up with it and we synced. So I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be a problem to do the same with TC lol..... just don't be caught with a camera out right before the lift hill lmao

When TC first opened, there were attempts to hurry the crowd up. They would announce before the air gates opened that you need to get in fast if you want to duel, but they do seem to have given up doing that. The ops are consistently fantastic on the ride, but the way the ride was designed makes it very difficult to duel consistently. The station doesn't help, but I suspect that the ride itself is to blame. If there was a way to hold and release a train after it has left the station built into the design, they could potentially have maximized the dueling, but I'm not quite sure how that would work. Add on top of that a barely-conscious GP that try to drag luggage, toys, and sundry other household items onto the ride with them, and you have problems. With that said, I've ridden it 50+ times, and I'd estimate that it's dueled far more than not. It doesn't seem like there's much the OPs could do except banning all the junk that people drag onto the ride with them.

And yeah, it's a shame about Apocalypse — it's in a very bad state these days.

That's exactly what they should and could do. SFDK does that quite effectively on Superman. (They do it for safety though since Superman UF has a nasty reputation for creating projectiles of everything)

There's a bottleneck where you enter the queue at a narrow spot and they have an employee there at the entrance who visually inspects all guests entering the queue and anyone attempting to carry anything past that point is stopped and directed to the lockers. Doesnt stop 100% cause people sneak things, but it's very effective. MM should do the same on TC.

Up north they have a bank of lockers next to the queue entrance, they'd clearly have to add one to TC somewhere in order to do this.

Here are all the pins that SFMM has released so far along with the lanyard and special pins that only come with the lanyard. The cars on each of the roller coaster pins move which is a cool feature. I hope they don't go too crazy with these or this may end up being an expensive collection. lol

So happy about these! On the surveys I get from Six Flags each time I visit, when it gets to the section about merchandise, I've been asking them to release an official pin collection for 3+ years! And it looks like I wasn't the only one who was asking for them! Yes, I do realize that SFMM (and Six Flags in general) has released all kinds of pins over the years, but it's been a while since there has been a big collection like the new ones they just released.

As a major pin collector (yep, I'm one of "those" people!), I always thought it weird that Six Flags was the only major SoCal park without a real pin program since pins seem to be pretty big with locals (thanks to Disney, no doubt!). Granted, pins don't seem anywhere near as popular at Universal, Knott's, or SeaWorld as they are at Disney, but given that new designs are released at all of these parks throughout the year, there must be at least some demand for them! At the very least, the ones released for Scary Farm and HHN seem to sell out each year. And to me it seemed like Six Flags was leaving money on the table by not selling them. So I'm happy that they're at least giving it a shot! Hoping it proves popular enough for them to continue to make more!

Back in 07 I went on dueling dragons and I pulled out my camera to make a video, but right before we went up on the lift hill they stopped the trains. The fire one was halfway up the lift and us on the ice one was stopped at the bottom & they made me put my camera away....

After I did, then the coaster continued and the red train didn't move until we matched up with it and we synced. So I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be a problem to do the same with TC lol..... just don't be caught with a camera out right before the lift hill lmao

Except that was the old Universal and this is Six Flags we are talking about!

Except that was the old Universal and this is Six Flags we are talking about!

Right!?

Also, what's the deal with running X2 with one train? If there's EVER a ride that shouldn't ever run with one train it's X2. We bought flash passes so it wasn't a big deal to me, but what was a pretty darn short line (only 2 or 3 switchbacks after the long walk to the ramps) was 2 hours long! Is something going on? It was a busy enough day in the park to merit full operation.

And I couldn't agree more with what you said about Apocalypse and X2. Although when I last went on X2 (August 2014 - it was having issues when I was there a few weeks ago) the loading times were so long that it wouldn't have made any different whatsoever if they had two trains unless they still utilized the unloading area. And I think they stopped doing that years ago.
I dont know why, but I heard X2 is again running one train today. I hope this doesn't become a habit.

It's running one train right now because the other train was WAY over it's cycle limit and the entirety of maintenance has pretty much been focused on Revolution these last few months.

To put it simply, there's too much to do with too few people and they are still playing catch up.

Holy crap! I was planning on going to the park today but it didn't work out. Fortunately.

I don't think I have EVER seen the line that long. With 1 train operation, that has got to be atleast a 4-5 hour wait.

I can't believe the park is opening up the Summer with 1 train on X2. Don't they have 3 trains available so when one goes out it could be replaced with the other one? I would never wait in that line. What a headache.