TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but the Gotham theatre/Batman action show theatre/old Aqua Theater has been completely removed as per my observations this previous weekend. The remaining space could house a decent flat ride in the future or a nice compact coaster i.e. El Loco.

Seems at times SFMM likes to give out clues on what they have coming up in the future. Perhaps look no further than the app photo and that is being a huge ferris wheel.

Please tell me you're kidding. So does the SFNE page. It's every park that has the same home page

There is a big difference between open block brakes and trimming. That video is the best you'll see of the ride's original pace which is really only different after the tunnel trim, and there was no pause before the ramp into the loop. The trim after the tunnel was added some time between 1979 and 1983. Not sure exactly when. The movie roller coaster shows the ride before that trim was added. The rest of the ride was never slowed down, in fact the trains ran faster up to the loop ramp than it used to.

I'm guessing they used harder wheels with a longer life which sped the ride up causing the need for the extra trimming. No debate, the tunnel trim is absolutely ridiculous and destroys the helix. The pause before the loop isn't ideal but it didn't slow the ride much when you compare footage of it cresting the hill after the loop.

Might have been the congruent silicon wheels as well.

There is a big difference between open block brakes and trimming. That video is the best you'll see of the ride's original pace which is really only different after the tunnel trim, and there was no pause before the ramp into the loop. The trim after the tunnel was added some time between 1979 and 1983. Not sure exactly when. The movie roller coaster shows the ride before that trim was added. The rest of the ride was never slowed down, in fact the trains ran faster up to the loop ramp than it used to.

I'm guessing they used harder wheels with a longer life which sped the ride up causing the need for the extra trimming. No debate, the tunnel trim is absolutely ridiculous and destroys the helix. The pause before the loop isn't ideal but it didn't slow the ride much when you compare footage of it cresting the hill after the loop.

I wonder if the added weight of the shoulder restraints was partly responsible for the trains running faster as well. Probably another reason the trims were cranked up. Reduce head banging, shave the added speed of the heavier trains, and reduce the stress of the amplified forces. Those shoulder bars did a lot of bad for that ride. Thank god that's over. Now let's hope they reduce the trims as well.

I wonder if the added weight of the shoulder restraints was partly responsible for the trains running faster as well. Probably another reason the trims were cranked up. Reduce head banging, shave the added speed of the heavier trains, and reduce the stress of the amplified forces. Those shoulder bars did a lot of bad for that ride. Thank god that's over. Now let's hope they reduce the trims as well.

I think you are onto something. More weight would put more stress on the chassis, wheel housings, axles, etc., necessitating heavily trimming the speed to keep the forces in check. Most changes in operating parameters come from the neccecity to reduce maintenance costs. They are undoubtedly making adjustments to the programming of the safety and control system because of the now lighter trains.

Tim Burkhart said at West Coast Bash that the trims were added and were staying because people were coming back injured. i forget his exact description, whiplash, or something. take that for whatever you want, but he said it.

I can see the trims being at least softened. I think part of the reason the trims were on so hard was due to the headbanging associated with the old restraints. With these new trains and redone restraints i wouldn't be surprised if the trims are cranked way way down

^The trims on Revolution aren't going to be softened at all. They're still on the track, and the trim mechanisms are still on the train.

Tim Burkhart said at West Coast Bash that the trims were added and were staying because people were coming back injured. i forget his exact description, whiplash, or something. take that for whatever you want, but he said it.

I'll be the first to say, I'm a big fan of Tim Burkhart. He's a wealth of information and has been in the business for decades. He does his best to answer questions honestly, but let's be real, he's going to say what the park/company wants him to say. Whiplash? Injuries? TTD does 120 MPH with lapbars only...wha? IMO, there's no reason with 2 train operation, lighter trains, and new technology, that the ride needs to be "coddled" with trims in any way.

With only two trains and a block brake before the loop, perhaps another emergency block brake (that shouldn't have to even tap the train) before needling through the loop, all other trims and brakes should be gone. Let the the thing run hog wild! As I've said before, this could have been an entirely NEW Revolution. But instead the park has decided to make this more of a refurb with new trains, instead of updating the coaster as it should have been done.

Please don't confuse this as "I'm not glad they're doing this." In fact I'll admit these are all bulls*it nitpicks by me. But damn! With a little more forethought, they really could have made this an update of the decade! Shame they didn't take advantage of it.

^The trims on Revolution aren't going to be softened at all. They're still on the track, and the trim mechanisms are still on the train.

I'll be the first to say, I'm a big fan of Tim Burkhart. He's a wealth of information and has been in the business for decades. He does his best to answer questions honestly, but let's be real, he's going to say what the park/company wants him to say. Whiplash? Injuries? TTD does 120 MPH with lapbars only...wha? IMO, there's no reason with 2 train operation, lighter trains, and new technology, that the ride needs to be "coddled" with trims in any way.

With only two trains and a block brake before the loop, perhaps another emergency block brake (that shouldn't have to even tap the train) before needling through the loop, all other trims and brakes should be gone. Let the the thing run hog wild! As I've said before, this could have been an entirely NEW Revolution. But instead the park has decided to make this more of a refurb with new trains, instead of updating the coaster as it should have been done.

Please don't confuse this as "I'm not glad they're doing this." In fact I'll admit these are all bulls*it nitpicks by me. But damn! With a little more forethought, they really could have made this an update of the decade! Shame they didn't take advantage of it.

Agreed! You gotta tow the company line. I'm sure it had more to do with stress on the track, chassis, wheel housings, etc., we've talked about before than any injuries such as whiplash. He probably gave the most plausible "story," which is most often the "guest safety" fall back.

Does anyone remember any problems with efficiently operating in 5 Train Mode, or was it just designed that way, and was never able to sustainably operate that way.

One example of my point is Fire Dragon at Lagoon, which was designed to operate 3 Trains and did on the fair circuit in Germany and at Lagoon until the mid 90s. This required very minimal safe distances between trains that was hard to do. When Lagoon added airgates in '94 or '95, that made it nearly impossible, thus requiring the third Train to be kept in waiting zone 2, thus making 3 train mode rather pointless, which is why 2000 was the last time Lagoon did it.

I'm wondering if something similar happened to Revolution, making running more Trains, especially after the shoulder bars were installed, harder, and pointless, especially after the hard trimming. In fact, does anyone know the fate of the other 3 Trains, other than being sources for parts?

DoubleDown, I agree, it seems to me they really missed the opportunity to make things cheaper and easier to maintain, which might require more work in the future, but it's great they have spent money and taken time to do something to celebrate and breath new life into it. Who knows, maybe next year they will bring back a 3rd Train.

I remember how fast the dispatches were and the lift hill faster as well. No issues that I remember with 5 trains

The line used to constantly move back in the eighties. It was the one line in the park I didn't mind waiting in.

I'm wondering if something similar happened to Revolution, making running more Trains, especially after the shoulder bars were installed, harder, and pointless, especially after the hard trimming. In fact, does anyone know the fate of the other 3 Trains, other than being sources for parts?

I believe at least parts of one was sold to the guy who collects all things SFMM and the rest became parts.

Edited by Jew

So according to the report on this forum about the SFOG Dare Devil Dive VR,

Loading shouldn't take *that* much longer because they will ask if the rider wants to use the headset in the station well before they get to ride, and if they don't, they proceed as normal, but if they do they will be taken to like a "staging area" where they will tell everyone how to use the gear, and give them to the rider. After that they will tell everyone to face forward to calibrate and then they are off!!

For all who claimed that wait times would be a disaster, if ours does similar (and I've heard it will), shouldn't be much of a problem. Obviously execution can make or break it, but really, I can't see this method taking any longer than any other normal guest delay (putting items off to the side, not putting on seat belt, guests unable to decide who sits where when the air gates open, etc.).

Hi all,

I haven't been to SFMM in ages, but I'm headed up tomorrow. Which ride should I head to first, Twisted Colossus or Full Throttle? I haven't been on either yet so I don't know which one will wind up with the longer lines later in the day.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I haven't been to SFMM in ages, but I'm headed up tomorrow. Which ride should I head to first, Twisted Colossus or YOLOcoaster? I haven't been on either yet so I don't know which one will wind up with the longer lines later in the day.

Thanks!

YOLO's capacity is atrocious, so try to hit that one first. Once the wait hits about 45 minutes, it never goes back down until the park is closed. Twisted Colossus can back up a little bit, but the line moves much more consistently.

I'm currently at the park today and noticed that Revolution's new train has the lead car on it! It's hard to see in the photos but all I had was my phone to take pictures.

Thanks for the photos!!

Loving the red!