TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ I didn't find that to be the case at all on Thunder Run at CW, where VR was tested last year. No one got sick and the experience was very enjoyable.

If it's in sync, your body quickly adjusts to the movement and is more in line with the VR than the moving train.

Is it for everyone? No it's not which is why it is OPTIONAL.

I'm glad it's optional since they are putting it some already decent coasters. I'm glad it's free, make it seem like less of a cheap gimmick if they're truly attempting to offer it to every rider. While it's not everyone's cup of tea I'm glad they are offering a unique option, honestly every review I've read from someone who has actually experience the VR Coasters to date have been more positive than negative so it seems to have potential. Kids these days are gonna eat this up.

So much for having Revolution run backwards, I really enjoyed it backwards with no OTSRs... I'll probably ride it once with the VR headset just to see what it's like. I got sightly woozy off of Forbidden Journey at IOA and that will be tame compared to this... This all smells like a very recent corporate deal and not something the parks were originally planning to do.

I'll give it a shot, I just hope I don't come off the ride puking.

We have photos and a video of the new trains on Revolution, and it has been completely overshadowed by everyone criticizing the VR goggles?? They are optional people! You don't have to wear them if you don't want to! Let's stop shredding SF for adding this option and geek out over how sweet those trains look that we have waited literally DECADES to have on the ride!

Who did these new fiberglass shells? They really are the same chassis with new fiberglass bodies and lap bars aren't they? I hope the ride sounds the same. It had such a unique "whiz" sound and I've never been able to understand why it sounded that way. Does anyone have any info on what makes Revy sound so different? I'm so excited to see test runs!

curious to know if the trains have all new chassis as well. the pictures/videos i've seen make me think they aren't. which is fine, i'm just curious. looks like the lap bars are the same length which i was never a fan of. i hated the otr's, but also didn't like where the lap bar was located.

as far as VR, i must have watched 10ish VR stuff at CES this year. hoping for much better with the moving train.

No thank you. I'm old school when it comes to this crap. If I want to play a video game I will play a video game. When I got to the parks I go to experience the roller coasters as a piece of art that I can ride in its most natural sense.

Honestly, why is everyone complaining? They are OPTIONAL. If I ever get the chance to visit a park not close to me with one of these, I will be sure to try the ride both with and without the headset. The only park somewhat close to me is SFMM, and I will be sure to try the New Revolution many times both with and without this.

My analogy is this: There is a Greek restaurant near me that has a lot of food items that I really love. But, I also dislike olives. So, I simply do not order a menu item with olives on it. If they add another menu item with olives, but do not subtract any of the other menu items, why should I do on the internet and complain that another item got added to the menu of my favorite restaurant that has olives?

I really do not know if this will offer a better experience or not, but I will ACTUALLY TRY IT before I judge it. As long as it is OPTIONAL, I find no reason to complain even if it really does suck.

The only worry I can understand is whether or not this would reduce capacity. Also, putting it on an already awful coaster like Ninja at SFStl does seem like an awful experience. But other than that, I will not complain about it until I try it.

I don't think it will be that bad. It's obvious they've been testing it with people (who I would assume are NOT experienced enthusiasts), and they probably would have just tossed the idea in the trash if that many people were getting motion sick and puking for 1 out of every 5-10 riders. Wouldn't you think?

I think the ground -and possibly the track- might be stationary and visible while wearing the headset, and also while viewing the surroundings. Meaning, your senses of riding on the track, seeing the ground, and seeing the direction of movement is not going to change. Even if there is no track, being able to know up from down, is a big part of avoiding motion sickness.

I think all they're going to do is screw with the sky, environment, and surroundings around the track. For example, making it seem like night time with a UFO in the sky and an epic battle going on, with alien creatures attacking on the ground below, while you're up on the track above. Which, I actually think would be pretty freakin cool!

While this go around might not work entirely perfect, it is something I'd be willing to give a chance. It's also something that over time might be fine tuned to be even better. Imagine if every ride had a virtual reality option, and if there were 5 different virtual reality experiences for each ride? And you can decide, I'm just going to ride this normal, OR, I'm gonna pop on the attached headset and do this one in VR? Think about it. It's essentially combining a short film with riding a coaster.

When's the last time you kept your eyes completely closed for the entirety of a ride? I'm sure if you ever have, you'll realize the sensations you feel, and the timing is all going to be quite different from when you kept your eyes open. Same goes for covering your eyes with goggles, and screwing with not only the forces you feel, but the timing, and feeling different parts of the ride in ways you never have before.

Look I'm not trying to say this is going to be an unprecedented success, and will spread across the coaster nation, but I do find it rather hypocritical within the coaster community when people are crapping on this immediately, before they even go and give it a shot. It's the same kind of bologna people spew when they judge a ride by the animated POV before the rides even built, or before they even actually get on and ride it.

If Disney decided to do something like this on, oh say California Screamin', I wonder if there'd be this much backlash? Six Flags sucks and so does everything they do so lets crap on it immediately before we read an article on how it works, or before we even try it out for ourselves.

I still don't understand this from a Six Flags safety perspective. The parks have become so crazy with loose article policies and now they are going to give teenagers these items. Yes, I realize there is a lanyard, but what stops some terrible teen from taking it off and chucking it off the ride and then saying 'Oh, it fell off'?

I have wondered about the loose article policy with this. I assumed the sets would be tethered to the train somehow. Are these things battery powered? Isn't this going to kill capacity? Will ride ops have to check the headsets to assure they are secure the way they have to check restraints? How does the sanitizing process work so we aren't swapping face sweat? I have a lot of questions here. I'm not picking on SF either. Nobody seems to be pointing out that they are hardly the first to do this. Merlin and cedar fair already got a jump on this trend. I don't recall anyone picking them apart for it but I try not to read people's posts. Too much negativity kills the fun in this community.

^ That was my point as well. It's not like this isn't being tested in other parks as well, so I'm taking more of a wait and see on this. I personally think this could be awesome or meh, could disappear in a couple of months or become the next "thing". Either way I plan on trying it as a unique experience at least once. It's certainly more interesting than the "audio on coasters" flop from the Shapiro era.

I still don't understand this from a Six Flags safety perspective. The parks have become so crazy with loose article policies and now they are going to give teenagers these items. Yes, I realize there is a lanyard, but what stops some terrible teen from taking it off and chucking it off the ride and then saying 'Oh, it fell off'?

Please keep all phones put away during the course of the ride.... unless we strap it to your face.
Yeah I could see some teenager thinking "Oh hey I can use this phone that's strapped to my face to take photos/video!" and trying to rip it off and breaking the headset and/or dropping parts off of the ride.