TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It is really interesting that they're rolling this out at so many parks. Although the general enthusiast consensus is "meh" I predict the GP will eat this up. I give it a week (or maybe a few) before all my friends on Facebook start sending me stuff like, "Did you hear about the Virtual Reality roller coasters?!?!? "

I'm also really curious about how they're going to do this to keep it quick and efficient. I'm sure they have it planned out somehow but it seems like it would be difficult helping everyone put them on and get to their seats and put drink cups down and all that jazz. I'm not really familiar with these headsets so pardon my ignorance, but can you see out of them when they're not turned on? Is it like looking at everything though a Facetime until the VR kicks in?

It is really interesting that they're rolling this out at so many parks. Although the general enthusiast consensus is "meh" I predict the GP will eat this up. I give it a week (or maybe a few) before all my friends on Facebook start sending me stuff like, "Did you hear about the Virtual Reality roller coasters?!?!? "

I'm also really curious about how they're going to do this to keep it quick and efficient. I'm sure they have it planned out somehow but it seems like it would be difficult helping everyone put them on and get to their seats and put drink cups down and all that jazz. I'm not really familiar with these headsets so pardon my ignorance, but can you see out of them when they're not turned on? Is it like looking at everything though a Facetime until the VR kicks in?

In general, no you cannot see through them. There is a way to do that, but It's not all that convenient. I'd bet that the ride attendants will hand them to you once the restraints are locked and help you with putting them on (although it isn't hard to do), and the VR will be on as soon as you put it on.

Glorious news!

This ride might finally enable me to block the election out of my life for a solid two and a half minutes.

MAKE REVOLUTION GREAT AGAIN

This is exciting news. This will actually make the Revolution "new". I'll be curious to ride the New Revolution both with and without the goggles.

You thought wait times were long already? Just WAIT until this season when you experience the thrill of seeing literally every guest not know how to put on a headset! And that's not all, we're now offering free head lice, acne, and pink eye for every guest that tries this new feature! The gift that keeps on giving! Now THAT'S Six Flags value!

You thought wait times were long already? Just WAIT until this season when you experience the thrill of seeing literally every guest not know how to put on a headset! And that's not all, we're now offering free head lice, acne, and pink eye for every guest that tries this new feature! The gift that keeps on giving! Now THAT'S Six Flags value!

lol good reason to be one of the first riders to ride it, and then never ride it using the headset again

No thank you. I'm old school when it comes to this crap. If I want to play a video game I will play a video game. When I got to the parks I go to experience the roller coasters as a piece of art that I can ride in its most natural sense.

SF doesn't allow riders to have a camera strapped onto them (a policy I support) but they want the riders to all (or mostly) have a big device strapped to their face?

Once one of these visors comes off at 50 mph I imagine the project may be quietly canceled. Hope no one gets hurt.

Glad the SF nearest me won't be doing this and they're getting a RMC this year!

Assuming the headsets don't all break in the first year and they abandon the project, I think these could easily tie into Fright Fest and, for the parks that have it, Holiday in the Park, as well. It's not hard to imagine changing the programming to simulate fleeing from a coven of broom-mounted witches or vampire bats or (insert flying malicious ghoul of your choice here). Or maybe you're hitching a ride on Santa's sleigh.

This seems like a good way to breathe new life into old coasters. If it works at Six Flags, I can see other parks (especially chain parks) getting in on this.

I really don't understand the point of this...

Build a roller coaster to simulate movements a motion simulator can't I guess?

I guess the idea is you're building an augmented reality in a way simulators themselves can't really simulate.

My guess is that ultimately this is going to be poorly executed and will cause a lot of people motion sickness

Six Flags Announces Virtual Reality Roller Coasters at 9 US Parks!

WOW. I was not expecting them to go so gung-ho with this across the board. I'm stunned (in a good way). Even more so that they seem to be including some hypers in there.

I'm literally at a loss for words, so... just... wow.

They're probably doing it at so many parks because the headsets probably aren't that expensive when compared to the cost of an entire roller coaster. Never having been a part of their design/business team to do price evaluations, I probably wouldn't put an out-of-my-butt price tag of more than maybe $2,000 per headset. So fully outfitting all those coasters will only end up at around $1 million, which is basically a kiddie coaster's worth of money.

I would say way less than that considering the consumer headset itself is only $99 http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-vr/

Wow. (I didn't have the time to find the data; had a smart materials exam I had to take.) Well, when accounting for an S7 Edge that brings it to $800 per set, and then brings it down to around $400,000 - $500,000, so about as expensive as a single medium-to-large flat ride. Certainly a heck of a bargain.

Dear Six Flags, we didn't ask for S:ROS@ SFNE to be a VR coaster. We just want Superman. Enough with the gimmicks and slow wait times.

Exactly, I can see why they would add VR to older rides like Revolution and Ninja (SFSTL), but it doesn't make any sense to add it to S:ROS/Bizarro/whateverit'scalled. Bizarro/Superman is one of the best coasters in the world and doesn't need a gimmick like this.

No thank you. I'm old school when it comes to this crap. If I want to play a video game I will play a video game. When I got to the parks I go to experience the roller coasters as a piece of art that I can ride in its most natural sense.

SF doesn't allow riders to have a camera strapped onto them (a policy I support) but they want the riders to all (or mostly) have a big device strapped to their face?

Once one of these visors comes off at 50 mph I imagine the project may be quietly canceled. Hope no one gets hurt.

Glad the SF nearest me won't be doing this and they're getting a RMC this year!

I wouldn't get too comfortable with that idea if I were you...

Curious to see how they are going to make this work. Do you have to have your own Galaxy phone to make this work or does Samsung have some headset with a "phone" already built in. I can see them making you use your own phone and downloading the app to make it work.

Are they going to secure these headsets in anyway so they don't fly off while riding?

Are they going to clean each headset after each use?

Lots of questions.

Curious to see how they are going to make this work. Do you have to have your own Galaxy phone to make this work or does Samsung have some headset with a "phone" already built in. I can see them making you use your own phone and downloading the app to make it work.

Are they going to secure these headsets in anyway so they don't fly off while riding?

Are they going to clean each headset after each use?

Lots of questions.

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/attractions/vr/faq

They're announcing this all to happen, through the summer.

So, I'm guessing they're taking their biggest crowds at the park(s),

working with that until Labor Day weekend, and then assess it all, in the fall.

Or - the first accident will immediately stop them being used, "until further notice."