TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

How busy do these free friend days usually get? I have a trip scheduled to the park for March 20 with my brother from out of state. I don't want to end up at the park on a packed day like Sunday was.

On weather.com it shows rain for both the 6th and the 13th, but since Mark Kriski has not been right with El Nino yet this season who knows what plays out on the 20th. If you playing out a BAFF then no biggie but if your laying out some hard cash. Just be early get there at stupid 8:30 time. Have bulk of group go through security and hope in either Gold-pass or Discover Card line. If you dont have a Discover card get one by then. Just have 1 person park the car or take your BAFF with you but zero reason for the whole posse to go to parking lot. Heck if your paying for parking just kick it up and use valet.

Hi guys, I'm planning to visit SFMM this June and not having been there I went through POV videos on Youtube and prioritised the rides as per below.

You will probably get the idea of what kind of ride I prefer from the list - that said, I may have missed some good stuff so it would be appreciated if you guys can make recommendations and reasons why.

1. Goliath

2. X2

3. Tatsu, Scream!, Full Throttle

4. Viper, Twisted Colossus, Green Lantern

5. The Riddler's Revenge

6. Superman

7. Batman

and maybe Lex Luther

Cheers,

Sam

Hi guys, I'm planning to visit SFMM this June and not having been there I went through POV videos on Youtube and prioritised the rides as per below.

You will probably get the idea of what kind of ride I prefer from the list - that said, I may have missed some good stuff so it would be appreciated if you guys can make recommendations and reasons why.

1. Goliath

2. X2

3. Tatsu, Scream!, YOLOcoaster

5. The Riddler's Revenge

6. Superman

7. Batman

and maybe Lex Luther

Cheers,

Sam

i really can't tell what kind of ride you prefer from that list.

i really can't tell what kind of ride you prefer from that list.

ok fair enough - I'm posting on other park discussion threads as well, so maybe if you check them out as well, probably you might get better idea.

in the mean time, you can recommend your personal favourites, i suppose...

cheers

sam

1. Goliath

2. X2

5. The Riddler's Revenge

6. Superman

7. Batman

and maybe Lex Luther

Cheers,

Sam

by the way what is YOLOcoaster? I don't remember typing that...

Best advice is to go there and get on the rides you think you'd like. X2, Tats, TC, Bat, Sup, Rid, Gol pretty much have you covered for the good ones. Got an extra $100? Once you see the lines are huge spend the $$ and get a Flashpass. If this is you're first visit and you're never going to be back ever again paying to get on everything is worth it.

I don't get this whole "how should I plan a trip" or "what I should ride" or "what's the best way to get around the park" post every other page.

If you go back in this thread, somewhere around every 5-10 pages provides advice that has been posted countless times before.

Even as a seasoned veteran visitor of the park, every day is different. Some days you think it will be light and rides should be walk on, then the parking is to the dirt road and they're running 1 train on almost everything. Some days you think it will be busy then it's a walk on day and there are multiple trains running. There's always a possibility of some event going on, there's always a possibility of it being a day off for schools, there's pass-holder coupon days that pop up. June is summer. Expect to wait in lines and for the park to be busy.

Best thing to do is get there as early as possible, get on what you can before crowds pour in, then decide from there.

Best advice is to go there and get on the rides you think you'd like. X2, Tats, TC, Bat, Sup, Rid, Gol pretty much have you covered for the good ones. Got an extra $100? Once you see the lines are huge spend the $$ and get a Flashpass. If this is you're first visit and you're never going to be back ever again paying to get on everything is worth it.

I don't get this whole "how should I plan a trip" or "what I should ride" or "what's the best way to get around the park" post every other page.

If you go back in this thread, somewhere around every 5-10 pages provides advice that has been posted countless times before.

Even as a seasoned veteran visitor of the park, every day is different. Some days you think it will be light and rides should be walk on, then the parking is to the dirt road and they're running 1 train on almost everything. Some days you think it will be busy then it's a walk on day and there are multiple trains running. There's always a possibility of some event going on, there's always a possibility of it being a day off for schools, there's pass-holder coupon days that pop up. June is summer. Expect to wait in lines and for the park to be busy.

Best thing to do is get there as early as possible, get on what you can before crowds pour in, then decide from there.

ok fair point - i'm just trying to make sure i don't miss out on good stuff. i'm not interested in getting on everything - i'd rather have multiple rides on good ones. unfortunately, these park threads are just so enormous to go through previous advices - i hope you don't think of me lazy but thousands of pages dedicated to a single park is a bit too overwhelming methinks. thanks, sam

Has there been anymore progress on the demolition of the old stunt show arena?

here's some pics i took real fast on sunday. i don't know how far along it was before, but this was sunday.

[attachment=0]IMG_9235.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IMG_9236.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2]IMG_9237.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3]IMG_9238.JPG[/attachment]

What is that gazebo structure in the first picture?

1. Goliath

2. X2

5. The Riddler's Revenge

6. Superman

7. Batman

and maybe Lex Luther

Cheers,

Sam

What's you trip itinerary because you've posted this in just about every thread and you're visiting all of these parks "In June". Are you driving from Canada's Wonderland to Magic Mountain? Have fun with that.

Also Batman is one of the best coasters in the park. Stop it with the POV rankings. I think Goliath, Green Lantern and X2 all suck but to each his own. LOL at where you put Twisted Colossus. Also where's Ninja? It's one of the standout attractions in the park.

Has there been anymore progress on the demolition of the old stunt show arena?

here's some pics i took real fast on sunday. i don't know how far along it was before, but this was sunday.

[attachment=0]IMG_9235.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IMG_9236.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2]IMG_9237.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3]IMG_9238.JPG[/attachment]

What is that gazebo structure in the first picture?

i remember you could go in there and look at the nice water, many many moons ago. lol

1. Goliath

2. X2

5. The Riddler's Revenge

6. Superman

7. Batman

Batman should not be this far down on a list. Ever.

Alternatively, Goliath should not be this high up on a list. Ever.

Completely agree about Batman and Goliath. Twisted Colossus should also be higher. Rode it for the first time this last weekend (went Saturday, tried to go Sunday but turned around when I saw the backup) and it was amazing. Best ride in the park.

Also, I took one ride on Apocalypse on Saturday and it was actually running pretty well until the last couple turns. If it wasn't close to an hour wait when I was back there I definitely would have ridden it again. Funny that Tatsu was running both stations on Saturday but apparently only one on Sunday...

Funny that Tatsu was running both stations on Saturday but apparently only one on Sunday...

I was there on Saturday, and I can confirm that Tatsu was running one station, at least in the morning. When I walked by the station later the line was out behind the soda counter. Two trains.

That's interesting because I rode Tatsu twice on Saturday, once around 4:30 and again around 7:30, and both times they were using both stations and the line was only filling about 1/2 to 2/3 of the switchbacks. It was about a 35-45 minute wait.

Funny that Tatsu was running both stations on Saturday but apparently only one on Sunday...

I was there on Saturday, and I can confirm that Tatsu was running one station, at least in the morning. When I walked by the station later the line was out behind the soda counter. Two trains.

That's interesting because I rode Tatsu twice on Saturday, once around 4:30 and again around 7:30, and both times they were using both stations and the line was only filling about 1/2 to 2/3 of the switchbacks. It was about a 35-45 minute wait.

I saw it at ~12:00, so the line probably died down before you saw it

What's you trip itinerary because you've posted this in just about every thread and you're visiting all of these parks "In June". Are you driving from Canada's Wonderland to Magic Mountain? Have fun with that.

Also Batman is one of the best coasters in the park. Stop it with the POV rankings. I think Goliath, Green Lantern and X2 all suck but to each his own. LOL at where you put Twisted Colossus. Also where's Ninja? It's one of the standout attractions in the park.

Thanks for your feedback, pal. That's why I asked you guys question/recommendation in the first place - what do you want me to do, randomly pick a coaster and ride?

I'm flying from LAX to CLE, drive to CP, CW and KI, back to CLE and then fly to east coast and do SFGA, SFNE etc etc then back to LAX. My itinerary is not in here because it is park specific thread.

That's why I asked you guys question/recommendation in the first place

There's no easy answer, but ultimately aim to get on as many as you can. Tatsu, FT, Twisted Colossus, Goliath and X2 tend to get the craziest lines, so prioritize which of those you really want to try. The line for TC moves much faster than you'd expect it to; the line for Tatsu can be a hideous sweat box; the line for Goliath can move very slow (if it's in the switchbacks be warned that it can take a while); the line for FT moves reasonably fast (if there are two trains), but you have to endure terrible music at high volume played on repeat. My suggestion would be to start your day early with a FT, Goliath, TC sequence and hit X2 later.

I personally don't think Tatsu or X2 are very good rides, but they provide totally unique experiences. Just be prepared to be potential beaten by X2 and plan your day around that beating (in other words, ride it late). Goliath is a tame ride in that it doesn't bruise you up, but I still find it one of the most well-rounded in the park. Twisted Colossus and FT are must-rides in my opinion, but I wouldn't necessarily skip a ride on something like Ninja just to get squeeze a second ride on FT. A second ride on TC makes more sense. For what it's worth, here's my own personal recommendations: 1. FT (back seat) 2. Goliath (front / middle) 3. Twisted Colossus (back seat) 4. Ninja 5. Revolution (if open) 6. Superman 7. Apocalypse (back seat) 8. Batman (unless you've ridden it elsewhere) 9. Scream 10. Drop of Doom 11. X2 (front seat) 12. Riddler 13. Tatsu 14. Gold Rusher 15. Viper 16. Green Lantern (you've been warned). I'm not a fan of the "biggest, extremist, most fastest" approach to coasters, preferring rides that strike a balance between fun and exhilaration. To me, some of the popular favorites here aren't very fun at all, so your mileage may vary.

right - apparently my posts have been deemed as spam by the regular users (yes i admit they kinda look the part).

i posted in the park specific threads as they get max exposure and they are in topic anyway -i guess you veterans would have seen these many times over and perhaps sick of it all. if it was me, i'd move on rather than troll and sabotage but hey everyone is different. i'll continue in the thread for my road trip seeking advice, i hope you are equally forthcoming with actual advice as roll-eyes i have been getting.

thanks to those who responded with genuine advice and my apology to those who were upset with my spam.

have a good day all.