TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

What is SFMM like in January? Are Saturdays really that worse off? How is MLK weekend usually?

Hoping to bring a first-timer soon He's pretty coaster inexperienced and says he likes rough rides, so I'm making sure to let him sit on the outside of X2.

By god's wounds, he will think thee a knave for having him sit thus!

Edited by cfc

Woe to he who hath sat upon the edge of X2!

It hath shaketh his body with its wrath!

Better he hath sat'est upon the bench

Than hath set'est himself down upon X2 thus!

Yeah, not sure if I want to join him in his endeavors but while we're at it, which are the roughest seats on all the coasters at SFMM? I want to knock this so-called preference out of him so he will see things my way! (Unless he really does like rough coasters as much as he says, in which case he'll have a great time. Either way, it's a win-win).

It's not neccesarilly which seats are roughest (X is an exception), there's just rough rides. I'd suggest the last seat on Apocalypse, Viper, Scream, GoldRusher. Also take him on Green Lantern.

There's really not a lot of rough rides anymore considering Colossus, Deja Vu, and Psyclone are gone.

So I did visit Magic Mountain for the first time ever after 2 decades of seeing it in pictures and video, so happy i finally made it!

We made it on 15/19 coasters at MM, No Revolution (refurb), Green Lantern (thing's broke), Superman (annual Maintenance), and Magic Flyer (too adult).

Park was thoroughly dead, Most everything was a walk-on for the day except Goliath, Tatsu, Yolo, and TC.

Being picky here, but operations were about as painful as advertised. Someone vomited on Twisted Colossus and they cleaned the seat and cycled that train literally 5 times, with each cleaning/dispatch taking about 4 minutes each (seems like overkill to me). The TC crew did a great job of turning a 15 minute crowd into a 45 minute wait. X2, Goliath, Tatsu, Full Throttle and even Speedy Gonzales ALL broke down while we were in line for them (or on the ride!). Ninja didn't open until at least 2 pm, Full Throttle was down at least 60 percent of the day. Goliath dispatches were extremely slow, Throttle ran 1 train but basically everything else ran 2 so no worries there. The breakdowns were frustrating because we didn't know what was running or when things might be running again.

As far as we could tell there were no shows or entertainment offered.

Line jumping, even with the low crowds, was unreal. The employees not only didn't do anything about it happening in front of them, they at times assisted! people wishing to rejoin their party ahead of them or advanced their friends to the front of attractions. I saw line jumping at least 7 or 8 different times today, way more than any park I've done. Part of the culture???

But overall I was very happy. Magic Mountain is not way too huge to walk around for the amount of coasters offered, and it is an incredible collection with something for anyone. Tatsu and Riddler's were my big surprises, they both really are the best versions of their coaster type in the USA. X2 and Twisted Colossus were crazy and worth the flight.

Being picky here, but operations were about as painful as advertised. Someone vomited on Twisted Colossus and they cleaned the seat and cycled that train literally 5 times, with each cleaning/dispatch taking about 4 minutes each (seems like overkill to me). The TC crew did a great job of turning a 15 minute crowd into a 45 minute wait.

Honestly, it's like they look forward to moments and get sheer enjoyment out of making people wait longer than they have to. Tripling the wait time is absurd. I've seen a ride operator hold up the entire train, and entire line on Twisted Colossus, because she was busy talking to someone behind the exit gate about fast pass. Everyone in the station is ready to go, and she's standing there having a full on conversation with a guest making everyone wait! Can't you maybe, dispatch the train, then finish the conversation? This is only a dueling coaster with a 6-7 minute cycle time that depends on speedy dispatches!

I think the most frustrating thing is the "lack of urgency" a majority of the operations employees have. I think they walk slower than any employees I've ever seen. It's inconsiderate of the time of people who paid to get in the park and make the most of their day. Also, by the way, LESS TIME IN LINE, means MORE TIME TO SPEND MONEY IN THE PARK! There ARE some very good teams (X2 comes to mind), some very good individuals dusted throughout the park, but for the most part the operations culture is too laid back and too slow...unless they have an opportunity to power trip on the guests, then all of a sudden for some reason they spring into action! "Get off the rail! You can't do that because (insert illogical reasoning here)."

It just peeves me because it doesn't have to be that way. Veteran employees perpetuate this attitude to rookie employees, and upper management brought through the ranks because of popularity contests do nothing to change it, which only enforces the attitude and makes it worse.

Glad you still had a good time though! I was there last week for a couple hours and had a blast! I don't let the crappy employees or operations get to me! I'm just there to get on a few amazing roller coasters and go home.

Crews have started to power wash Revolution's track in preparation for painting so it shouldn't be too long before we start seeing some fresh paint. They are also doing no small amount of tree trimming and clearing for the ride, the final helix is looking pretty bare right now but hopefully some nice foliage is in place for ride opening. Last I've head is they are looking at an early Spring opening so I don't think at this pace March is entirely unrealistic. I'm just sad about all the trees getting the ax...

In other news, more cars of the fabled green Twisted Colossus train are making their way to the ride, although all of them aren't there yet.

Being picky here, but operations were about as painful as advertised. Someone vomited on Twisted Colossus and they cleaned the seat and cycled that train literally 5 times, with each cleaning/dispatch taking about 4 minutes each (seems like overkill to me). The TC crew did a great job of turning a 15 minute crowd into a 45 minute wait.

Honestly, it's like they look forward to moments and get sheer enjoyment out of making people wait longer than they have to. Tripling the wait time is absurd. I've seen a ride operator hold up the entire train, and entire line on Twisted Colossus, because she was busy talking to someone behind the exit gate about fast pass. Everyone in the station is ready to go, and she's standing there having a full on conversation with a guest making everyone wait! Can't you maybe, dispatch the train, then finish the conversation? This is only a dueling coaster with a 6-7 minute cycle time that depends on speedy dispatches!

As a former R.O. I will say.... walking away from a guest to dispatch a train is guest service suicide, especially when it's the type of guest who won't be satisified with a breif answer or being redirected.. If they were to make a complaint and mention that the employee they were speaking to walked away from the conversation, there would be a negative performance mark on that employee's record for sure.

It sucks, but it's reality.

There's already enough germs on roller coaster cars...won't find me hating on a crew trying to make sure it's as clean as can be after someone vomited before putting people back on t...

I am taking my family to the US in June for the first time and are heading to SFMM. I was wondering how long would the lines be around then. We are going 1 day between the 8th to the 10th of June. We want to attempt to do all the coasters at the park. Should we get the Platinum or Gold Flash pass.

The problem is that the platinum is a lot of money. Do you think we could do all coasters with a gold?

There's already enough germs on roller coaster cars...won't find me hating on a crew trying to make sure it's as clean as can be after someone vomited before putting people back on t...

Yeah I'll wait the extra time to ensure I'm not on a train that still smells like vomit

I am taking my family to the US in June for the first time and are heading to SFMM. I was wondering how long would the lines be around then. We are going 1 day between the 8th to the 10th of June. We want to attempt to do all the coasters at the park. Should we get the Platinum or Gold Flash pass.

The problem is that the platinum is a lot of money. Do you think we could do all coasters with a gold?

The last day of school in the LA school district is June 10th, so I would hit up the park on the 8th or 9th. You may run into some school groups at the park but overall it shouldn't be too busy. If you choose to get a Flash Pass, I think you'll be fine with the gold. I would just hit Full Throttle and then Twisted Colossus at park opening as those aren't included with the gold.

Thinking about hopping a flight out to the West Coast for a Saturday in either late February or early March. Aside from Rev being down while they do the improvements, can I expect anything else to be closed for the season? What are lines like at this time of the year? Thanks in advance!

I went to Six Flags Magic Mountain today to process my Season's Pass and ride Twisted Colossus (Which broke down and later in line someone barfed in Orange Train), when I noticed crews painting The New Revolution. Here are some of the photos I took. The blue paint looks really good in my opinion.

image3.thumb.PNG.d2eb2c5ecc59ca158979ffacd0d7028d.PNG

Station work and track painting

705687448_image2(1).thumb.JPG.218c16a6a822efa4fafde5412cccc91d.JPG

Inside of station

1110134419_image1(2).thumb.JPG.2e6654dc8702b970197ca2ae5f95e882.JPG

Blue supports!