TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I was at the park today, TC never dueled except for a test ride I saw in the morning. Three train operation the whole day but operation is painfully slow that there's double stacking for a few times.

Did anyone notice that YOLO's track connecting points are getting pretty rough? Track itself is incredibly smooth but the connecting points are very noticible and the train shuffles around them, the right turn after the loop especially.

^I was also at the park yesterday. I would say that TC was dueling at about the same rate it was last summer, (which is rarely). Due to three train ops, it is still usually one of their most efficient rides.

I would say that operations were pretty good today, with X2, Tatsu cycling trains pretty consistently. However, I could notice the effect of the cold weather on the coasters. I only rode three coasters all day (Tatsu once, X2 once, and TC five times), and all three of these seemed to be running considerably slower than normal. I found that TC's inversions actually flowed better at a low speed, but of course I want the rest of the ride to be as fast as possible. It is still an awesome coaster, but it lacked that OMFG airtime that I have been used to getting in the summer months.

^YOLO is running two trains right now, as with every other coaster in the park.

At the park right now. It is insanely packed (parking in dirt lot). Currently in line for Ninja and the entire queue is full except the first couple switchbacks in the first area. Everything else is even longer. Hopefully the cold tonight scares people away for HITP and can get on rides faster then.

TC was fueling great this morning probably 80-85% of the time when I was there!

Woops didn't see that they put the second train back on today as it's been running one train for the past few weeks. Just checked and sure enough it is running two trains. I guess miracles do happen.

it was running two the two times i went this month. last time being thursday.

I would suggest going for flash pass gold and run to YOLO first. It was doing 3 minutes stacking yesterday. Also Green Lantern's operation is painfully slow, single rider line might be faster than flash pass.

I almost always do single rider line for Green Lantern, even when the line isn't long...it's just easier. Plus I enjoy standing behind the ride op and watching them dispatch trains. Riddlers is kind of the same, unless you have a large group, its just way faster to go to the SRL and walk right onto the train in the station.

it was running two the two times i went this month. last time being thursday.

I do know that it was down to one train for a good portion of the month as they were doing a slight refurb on one of the trains. They brought the second train back a lot sooner than I thought they would which is very surprising. I think the train hit it's cycle count and maintenance was on top of it so props to them.

I'm thinking about taking a trip down to SFMM the weekend of Feb 27-28. Is February usually pretty light? I see for 2015, Feb 22 was a bring a friend free day and I know that in the summer/fall those days are usually packed. Does key club ever have days in the winter? Anything else I should watch out for?

I was at the park today, TC never dueled except for a test ride I saw in the morning. Three train operation the whole day but operation is painfully slow that there's double stacking for a few times.

Did anyone notice that YOLO's track connecting points are getting pretty rough? Track itself is incredibly smooth but the connecting points are very noticible and the train shuffles around them, the right turn after the loop especially.

I've noticed the train rattles right after the loop and at the top of the top hat. Nothing crazy though, still the smoothest, and quietest ride in the park (possibly tied with Goliath).

I'm thinking about taking a trip down to SFMM the weekend of Feb 27-28. Is February usually pretty light? I see for 2015, Feb 22 was a bring a friend free day and I know that in the summer/fall those days are usually packed. Does key club ever have days in the winter? Anything else I should watch out for?

Feb is usually pretty light except on BAFF days, no Key Club that's only in the fall.

Feb is usually pretty light except on BAFF days, no Key Club that's only in the fall.

Got it, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for when BAFF day is.

Got it, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for when BAFF day is.

For anyone who wants to avoid Key Club day, just bookmark this page: http://www.cnhkeyclub.org/events/fall-rally

Is anything at MM experiencing regular downtime this week other than the closed Revolution? I am visiting on Saturday, first time ever and hope to do all the majors. My thought on a plan of attack is YOLO first, then TC, Green Lantern, then allllllll the way backtracking (i'm athletic and going to the park solo so the hope even with the heavy travel is to hit all of these with 0 wait) to X2 and Viper if X2 opens an hour after the park does. Then just do a big loop clockwise around the park.

If X2 doesn't get heavy wait times like it used to though, I'd just do a big counterclockwise loop instead.

^X2 usually opens on time now.

Only do YOLO first if it had a 2-3 train wait or less when you get there. Anything more than that and you'll be set behind. Then head on down to TC and the line should still be pretty short. Then I recommend Scream, then Lex Luthor, then Goliath. After that head back to Green Lantern, Batman, and Riddlers. I'd recommend eating lunch now. Then you can head up to Superman (if it's only running one side around 1 PM, then it will be all day, and it will have a long line all day no matter what, so you may as well wait for it now. Then you can head to Ninja. Next I'd recommend riding Viper, followed by X2. By this time in the afternoon, it should have a shorter wait, as short as it's going to get during the day. Then I'd do Apocalypse and any rerides you wanna do. Save Tatsu for last ride of the day, and ride as close to closing time as possible. The line diminishes significantly right before closing.

Have fun!!

Only do YOLO first if it had a 2-3 train wait or less when you get there. Anything more than that and you'll be set behind. Then head on down to TC and the line should still be pretty short. Then I recommend Scream, then Lex Luthor, then Goliath. After that head back to Green Lantern, Batman, and Riddlers. I'd recommend eating lunch now. Then you can head up to Superman (if it's only running one side around 1 PM, then it will be all day, and it will have a long line all day no matter what, so you may as well wait for it now. Then you can head to Ninja. Next I'd recommend riding Viper, followed by X2. By this time in the afternoon, it should have a shorter wait, as short as it's going to get during the day. Then I'd do Apocalypse and any rerides you wanna do. Save Tatsu for last ride of the day, and ride as close to closing time as possible. The line diminishes significantly right before closing.

Have fun!!

This is a good plan, be sure to take advantage of the single rider lines on Lex Luthor, Riddlers, and Green Lantern.

Anyone at the park today? Any reports on the crowds/parking lot capacity?

Thinking I might head up there in a couple hours, get a few short line rides if it's not too busy. Somethings telling me today might be a good day to visit.

When I parked at 12:30 it wasn't even to the Scream corkscrews. The midway is pretty quiet so not a bad day at all. This week should be even better because of all the forecasted rain.

Anyone at the park today? Any reports on the crowds/parking lot capacity?

Thinking I might head up there in a couple hours, get a few short line rides if it's not too busy. Somethings telling me today might be a good day to visit.

When I parked at 12:30 it wasn't even to the Scream corkscrews. The midway is pretty quiet so not a bad day at all. This week should be even better because of all the forecasted rain.

Excellent. Will probably get there at 5. Thanks everyone for the updates. Sorry to hear about Goliath, which is probably the absolute easiest ride to restraint check and dispatch. It makes me want to pull my hair out when I hear and have to experience that. We'll just go ahead and skip that one today (not like I'm missing much anyway).

Have fun!!

I want to thank you for your reply to my plan. Very detailed advice from a local is much appreciated.

New issue though...I was planning on visiting Saturday but I could possibly go Friday instead. The weather for Saturday is 60 percent chance of rain and average temperature high 40s. This El Niño weather was enough to close the park entirely yesterday and today. So I'm thinking if the park even opens Saturday with those Temps and the low crowd levels is going to be hell on the operations side. I should switch to Friday (high of 59 and no rain) shouldn't I? And make Disney Saturday and Sunday then Knotts Monday.