TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So. Irritated.

I checked the special events calendar on the website, and rescheduled my visit from last Saturday to today because there were two special events scheduled for last weekend and nothing for this weekend. So, I get to the park, and...

SUPRISE! It's the So Cal Key Club fall rally! 50+ school buses and thousands of high school students who were all very excited to cheer and shout with each other at literally any possible opportunity. Hour long lines for TC, Goliath, Apocalypse, Riddler, Tatsu,X and 45 for Scream and Batman.

What is the point of having that stupid section on the website if they don't put stuff like this on it?

Ouch. If the lines only got to 45-60 minutes though you were unusually lucky. Key Club day is usually much busier. Though it never shows up on MM's website, they schedule it way way early. In the future if you're planning a fall Saturday trip to MM look on Key Club's website, it's always posted there well in advance.

So. Irritated.

I checked the special events calendar on the website, and rescheduled my visit from last Saturday to today because there were two special events scheduled for last weekend and nothing for this weekend. So, I get to the park, and...

SUPRISE! It's the So Cal Key Club fall rally! 50+ school buses and thousands of high school students who were all very excited to cheer and shout with each other at literally any possible opportunity. Hour long lines for TC, Goliath, Apocalypse, Riddler, Tatsu,X and 45 for Scream and Batman.

What is the point of having that stupid section on the website if they don't put stuff like this on it?

The special event page never lists private events. The only reason cheer competitions, grad nights, and home school nights are listed is because SFMM is marketing those themselves either on their own or in partnership with the organization. Key Club is a private group who rents the theater.

Just got the newsletter. I find it interesting that they aren't advertising anything new for Holiday in the Park for the TC area. I was hoping for a show since Kwirk and the Halloween equivalent have been a hit. Also it says " Holiday in the Park hours are 10:30 a.​m. – 6 p.​m." I don't think it even gets dark before then.

Also has anyone gone on the Bag-of-food drive event before? I was planning on going that day but will revise if you think it will be crowded.

Just got the newsletter. I find it interesting that they aren't advertising anything new for Holiday in the Park for the TC area. I was hoping for a show since Kwirk and the Halloween equivalent have been a hit. Also it says " Holiday in the Park hours are 10:30 a.​m. – 6 p.​m." I don't think it even gets dark before then. Also has anyone gone on the Bag-of-food drive event before? I was planning on going that day but will revise if you think it will be crowded.

Hours show 10:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. on their website. They probably said 10:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. because those are the hours currently until Holiday in the Park starts.

Friday, November 27 10:30am to 8:00pm

Saturday, November 28 10:30am to 8:00pm

Sunday, November 29 10:30am to 8:00pm

Saturday, December 5 10:30am to 8:00pm

Sunday, December 6 10:30am to 8:00pm

Saturday, December 12 10:30am to 8:00pm

Sunday, December 13 10:30am to 8:00pm

Saturday, December 19 10:30am to 8:00pm

Sunday, December 20 10:30am to 8:00pm

Monday, December 21 10:30am to 8:00pm

Tuesday, December 22 10:30am to 8:00pm

Wednesday, December 23 10:30am to 8:00pm

Thursday, December 24 10:30am to 8:00pm

Saturday, December 26 10:30am to 8:00pm

Sunday, December 27 10:30am to 8:00pm

Monday, December 28 10:30am to 8:00pm

Tuesday, December 29 10:30am to 8:00pm

Wednesday, December 30 10:30am to 8:00pm

Thursday, December 31 10:30am to 8:00pm

Just got the newsletter. I find it interesting that they aren't advertising anything new for Holiday in the Park for the TC area. I was hoping for a show since Kwirk and the Halloween equivalent have been a hit. Also it says " Holiday in the Park hours are 10:30 a.​m. – 6 p.​m." I don't think it even gets dark before then.

Also has anyone gone on the Bag-of-food drive event before? I was planning on going that day but will revise if you think it will be crowded.

like magic alumni said, it's actually 10:30-8pm when holiday in the park actually starts. i think it's a mistake in the email since right above it, it gives the same hours for next week before thanksgiving.

Hey SoCal people, or anyone who has experience with SFMM- I'm planning a trip there is April after spring break, what is the best way to get from LAX or Bob Hope to SFMM? My hotel is right next door and has a shuttle to the park so I was thinking about skipping the rental car, but if it's going to cost me $100 each way I might look at just renting a car.

Are there any public transportation options to the area, or has anyone had luck with an airport shuttle service like shuttle express?

edit: I did not know Shuttle Express was local, but you know what I mean- the big van which drops people off at all the hotels for a flat rate

Metrolink train: take the Metrolink train (Antelope Valley Line) to the Newhall Station. From here, you can easily hop on either Santa Clarita Transit route 1 & 2 or 4 & 14 to the MRTC. Both lines service the Newhall Station every 15 minutes so you won’t wait long. From the MRTC, transfer onto a route 3 & 7 which takes you directly to Six Flags amusement park.

I don't know the timetables, so this might be a stretch...but it's possible.

Uber or Lyft is probably the easiest and cheapest option

Hey SoCal people, or anyone who has experience with SFMM- I'm planning a trip there is April after spring break, what is the best way to get from LAX or Bob Hope to SFMM? My hotel is right next door and has a shuttle to the park so I was thinking about skipping the rental car, but if it's going to cost me $100 each way I might look at just renting a car.

Strange thing in Southern Cal is Spring Break seems to go on and on forever and every school seems to be on different schedule. Don't worry whatever day you come it will be crowded as you just cant win.

Rent a car... Why not when Hotwire has them as low as $12.30 per day plus taxes. Alamo is onsite at Burbank and makes for easy pick up and drop off. LAX lord have mercy on your soul and your on your own. Shuttle from your local hotel (which one?) sounds great and you will avoid parking fees of $20 at SFMM. As best I know none of the Valencia hotels charge for self parking.

rentalcarapril.thumb.jpg.3c94427f0f877b86bac4b936ee99e854.jpg

Rent a car... Why not when Hotwire has them as low as $12.30 per day plus taxes. Alamo is onsite at Burbank and makes for easy pick up and drop off. LAX lord have mercy on your soul and your on your own. Shuttle from your local hotel (which one?) sounds great and you will avoid parking fees of $20 at SFMM. As best I know none of the Valencia hotels charge for self parking.

That's what I'm beginning to lean toward, and I don't think I'll be going through LAX since I can pay $20 extra and go to Burbank. I was thinking I would go to LAX to save money on the flight and maybe car, but the extra headache and distance doesn't make sense. I have only been there once when I was very young so luckily I don't remember and am trauma-free, but I have heard it's just a place to avoid at all costs.

I'm planning on staying at the Hilton Garden Inn right next to the park-it even has Six Flags in its name!-since I can get a very good employee rate. Has anyone been there? Any rooms to avoid? I hate getting stuck in a room with a floodlight outside, or some A/C unit right below your window

edit; by the way, thanks for the rental car lookup, I didn't look at hotwire yet. You also showed me that if I leave on Thursday, it is $8 cheaper per day. Thanks!

edit again; does anyone know what all this weird stuff west of the park is? It looks like a maze of dirt roads with random lots cleared out- sand pits?

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3907168,-118.6119073,3510a,20y,40.97t/data=!3m1!1e3

I believe those were pads for oil drilling.

Oh ok, thanks for the info. It just looked really strange.

Ok, so I am trying to plan this trip out a little more seriously now, and I have always had this question but never asked- what is the deal with season passes for Six Flags parks? Since the daily price is nearly the same price as a season pass and I'm planning on going multiple days, should I just get a season pass instead of waiting and buying daily tickets? How can they offer a season pass for the same price as 1 day? Is this the reason the park gets so ridiculously crowded? Does the price go up as the season gets closer? Also WTF is a "membership?" Can anyone point me to somewhere that clearly explains these things for someone who has never been?

Also this is confusing to me:

pass2.jpg.879064e1f1d4fd7917e76d4455129d9b.jpg

Which is why I am asking for help. It seems like the website should explain it all, but it's filled with inconsistencies like this.

Sorry, lots of questions!

I believe those were pads for oil drilling.

Oh ok, thanks for the info. It just looked really strange.

Ok, so I am trying to plan this trip out a little more seriously now, and I have always had this question but never asked- what is the deal with season passes for Six Flags parks? Since the daily price is nearly the same price as a season pass and I'm planning on going multiple days, should I just get a season pass instead of waiting and buying daily tickets? How can they offer a season pass for the same price as 1 day? Is this the reason the park gets so ridiculously crowded? Does the price go up as the season gets closer? Also WTF is a "membership?" Can anyone point me to somewhere that clearly explains these things for someone who has never been?

Also this is confusing to me:

[attachment=0]pass2.jpg[/attachment]

Which is why I am asking for help. It seems like the website should explain it all, but it's filled with inconsistencies like this.

Sorry, lots of questions!

I'm gonna guess that one-park pass means that it doesn't include hurricane harbor. Have you ever been to a six flags park?

Just got the newsletter. I find it interesting that they aren't advertising anything new for Holiday in the Park for the TC area. I was hoping for a show since Kwirk and the Halloween equivalent have been a hit. Also it says " Holiday in the Park hours are 10:30 a.​m. – 6 p.​m." I don't think it even gets dark before then. Also has anyone gone on the Bag-of-food drive event before? I was planning on going that day but will revise if you think it will be crowded.

Hours show 10:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. on their website. They probably said 10:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. because those are the hours currently until Holiday in the Park starts.

Friday, November 27 10:30am to 8:00pm

Saturday, November 28 10:30am to 8:00pm

Sunday, November 29 10:30am to 8:00pm

Saturday, December 5 10:30am to 8:00pm

Sunday, December 6 10:30am to 8:00pm

Saturday, December 12 10:30am to 8:00pm

Sunday, December 13 10:30am to 8:00pm

Saturday, December 19 10:30am to 8:00pm

Sunday, December 20 10:30am to 8:00pm

Monday, December 21 10:30am to 8:00pm

Tuesday, December 22 10:30am to 8:00pm

Wednesday, December 23 10:30am to 8:00pm

Thursday, December 24 10:30am to 8:00pm

Saturday, December 26 10:30am to 8:00pm

Sunday, December 27 10:30am to 8:00pm

Monday, December 28 10:30am to 8:00pm

Tuesday, December 29 10:30am to 8:00pm

Wednesday, December 30 10:30am to 8:00pm

Thursday, December 31 10:30am to 8:00pm

I find it surprising that Over Georgia has a significantly better HITP schedule (Although SFMM does open much earlier in the day), being open more days and always until 10pm. Usually SFMM has the most extensive hours in the chain, or so it seems. I feel like closing a holiday lights event at 8pm leaves a bit to be desired.