TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^This is the reason parks are requiring the use of "fluffy fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo", and enforcing it with metal detectors and line marshals. Give a quick search for "OSHA struck by" and there are a myriad of workplace safety materials on why this is a problem in the workplace. Because protection standards for employees (and guests) are improving, parks legally have no choice but to comply.

Since they cant provide every guest with head to toe PPE, provide overhead protection in all areas where guest may encounter an object thrown with force from heights, or move the rides (re-route people) to accommodate a "no entry area" sufficiently large enough, they make you empty your pockets.

This is a standard procedure in all overhead work.

Apologies for the "lurk" entry, just found it interesting that a 4.55 oz object falling from 200' in the air was not seen as a problem.

Thanks

Parks requiring it? I know of only one place doing all the above and thats universal in orlando. Six flags considers loose articles as ones in your hands and not in your pocket. When most objects fall from rides the path is generally straight down as it isn't much trajectory involved. Trust me, the parks have what policy in place they feel is working. They even mention the areas where things are prone to fall into off rides. They are kinda professionals at this and have a better grasp than you and me when it comes to restricted areas and when to require more measures and not.

Besides, I google that osha thing and couldn't find anything that directly dealt with theme park accidents. Care to share your osha findings od the subject matter?

The back seat sealed it for me!

Glad you enjoyed it! I feel I should pass along some "insider" info about RMC's coasters, though. Apparently the best seats are in the middle of the train. The front and back give their own highs and lows, but for overall "holy crap," sit in the middle.

Parks requiring it? I know of only one place doing all the above and thats universal in orlando. Six flags considers loose articles as ones in your hands and not in your pocket. When most objects fall from rides the path is generally straight down as it isn't much trajectory involved. Trust me, the parks have what policy in place they feel is working. They even mention the areas where things are prone to fall into off rides. They are kinda professionals at this and have a better grasp than you and me when it comes to restricted areas and when to require more measures and not.

Besides, I google that osha thing and couldn't find anything that directly dealt with theme park accidents. Care to share your osha findings od the subject matter?

You're correct, the articles I was citing deal with all other forms of AWP, overhead safety, and the securing of loose articles at heights, totally different. This is a topic of conversation within both the government and self certifying side of the industry, despite the wording of current publicly posted policy.

I guess my question is this: when your articles were lost, were they in your pocket? If so, the policy you cite didn't work as the objects were not secured. If not, and they were in your hand, you were in violation of the policy cited.

My point was, and I apologize for any implied condescension, this discussion is being held in regulatory circles specifically because of stories like yours and the number of items that are required to be recovered at the end of a given day. It is only a matter of time before it does impact an employee or patron.

Thanks

I can explain how my phone got out of my pocket on GL. I was wearing cargo shorts so as I tried to jump in the seat over and over, I'm sure it pushed my phone towards the top of my pocket. It fell on the roof under the lift which implies to me that was the case. As for my keys, not sure if they came out of my pocket while getting in and out of the coaster for they to have been retrieved so quickly. Either way all of these things were in my pocket, secure or so I thought. Maybe its because of these style seats as they both were my first time in those style as well as they were both a tight fit. I am also searching for stylish fanny packs as that was a reminder to me of the perils of what could happen lol.

Glad you enjoyed it! I feel I should pass along some "insider" info about RMC's coasters, though. Apparently the best seats are in the middle of the train. The front and back give their own highs and lows, but for overall "holy crap," sit in the middle.

I learned that during WCB! Everyone was piling in for the front and back, but I found my wildest rides in the middle rows

I learned that during WCB! Everyone was piling in for the front and back, but I found my wildest rides in the middle rows

for me, the back is still my favorite for the drops. i think my overall favorite seat for TC is somewhere in between the middle and back. row 8-10. but no doubt i've heard many prefer the middle seats.

Sorry ti took me so long to get back with the report of my Friday stay at SFMM. My dad and i got to the parking gate with 5 mins left before opening so i just got out there and ran to the discover line and got in at about 10:25 am. I quickly walked to Full trottle but it was down. Quickly walked to TC and it was already running. Did a ride in row 2 for my first time on it and then in row 11 or whatever the row is the 2nd from last row. Estinally i didn't want to wait for the ends but i wanted to ride in the same car.

after I did Goliath, Lex Luther (the freeway side, that I never got to go on in the VIP trip in 2012) riddler's revenge (that was a mistake despite being a walk on really) then I finished up with Superman in a middle row. i checked the full Trottle line since apparently it was open again but nope.. too long for me and it was already hot at noon or so. Met up with my dad near the front and left to head down to LA.

Really hot day but I did a fair amount of rides I enjoyed in the span of less then about 2-3 hours.

TC does have a lot of airtime, but I felt oddly let down during them. I guess I was just so hyped to finally ride it, it was likely never going to meet my expectations. Really, really good ride though.

Scariest part for me other then the drop('s) was that whip like action on the green side. thought it was going to be forceful but it felt smoother then Medusa.

^Noooo, don't tell me cargos are not 100% full proof. That's my go to method of dress for the parks, now I'm gonna be paranoid lol

I almost lost a phone out of cargo shorts. The worst are baggy thigh pockets with flap covers that only button in the middle. Try sliding your phone up in the pocket with your fingers pushing up from below it. If you can get it to slide out a gap near top of the pocket; you might be in trouble. A phone can bounce around and fall out if you are shaken enough. Zipper pockets work best but not many have one.

^Noooo, don't tell me cargos are not 100% full proof. That's my go to method of dress for the parks, now I'm gonna be paranoid lol

I almost lost a phone out of cargo shorts. The worst are baggy thigh pockets with flap covers that only button in the middle. Try sliding your phone up in the pocket with your fingers pushing up from below it. If you can get it to slide out a gap near top of the pocket; you might be in trouble. A phone can bounce around and fall out if you are shaken enough. Zipper pockets work best but not many have one.

i've got some BC Clothing convertible cargo pants/shorts from costco not long ago that are pretty good. they have one smaller pocket on top of the normal right hand pocket with a zipper. i use this for my keys. i know they are never leaving me with the zipper. the cargo pockets on both sides have the normal pocket, but on top of them are two smaller pockets, all with nice velcro. the normal pockets are fairly deep too, which i like. velcro on the rear pockets and are positioned well. you know some shorts aren't the right size or position and you sit smack on your wallet? hate those.

haven't used the pants part yet, but figured they'll come in handy some day at a park when it gets cold. only small bitch i have about them is they are a bit heavy.

no need to bother with pockets with one of these: http://www.spibelt.com/

I can't properly enjoy rides at all thinking about cards/phone/etc falling out of pockets. The SPIbelt is the slimmest and easiest thing to properly secure personal items I've found for rides

i have a "flipbelt" which works well, but too much adjusting and in the way of restraints too much for me to have something around my waist. the flipbelt is nice cause when i use it, it goes under my shirt. i'm not really into the fanny pack style belts.

I was out at the park all day friday, and sunday morning. Finaly got to ride my first rmc, it was amazing. How does it compare to the other ones? Also rode full throttle and had a roll back while on it, as exciting as the roll back back, if im stuck in a seat for more than a few minutes my anxiety gets a hold of me and my wife has to talk me through it. Dont really know how long it was before maintance released us, but it felt like it was forever. Do roll backs happen ofton on yolo?

These are my favorite type of cargo shorts to wear when I am riding: Utility Pocket Cargo Shorts. The zipper pocket is big and secure.

Ecko Unlimited long cargo shorts are also ones that I've had forever. There is a zipper pocket next to the right hand pocket that is HUGE. It holds my cell, wallet, and glasses case in it without any problems or comfortability issues. If you can find them on the web, I'd snatch them up. These also have good reviews.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to avoid paying for lockers and helping Ops with faster dispatch times

for me, the back is still my favorite for the drops. i think my overall favorite seat for TC is somewhere in between the middle and back. row 8-10. but no doubt i've heard many prefer the middle seats.

I found middle to back seats had various types of airtime (lateral, extended and brief floater, ejector, etc.) vs. that fast whip you get from the back. I can't say enough good things about what RMC did with this coaster. Middle and back rows are awesome.

These are my favorite type of cargo shorts to wear when I am riding: Utility Pocket Cargo Shorts. The zipper pocket is big and secure.

Ecko Unlimited long cargo shorts are also ones that I've had forever. There is a zipper pocket next to the right hand pocket that is HUGE. It holds my cell, wallet, and glasses case in it without any problems or comfortability issues. If you can find them on the web, I'd snatch them up. These also have good reviews.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to avoid paying for fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo and helping Ops with faster dispatch times

I found middle to back seats had various types of airtime (lateral, extended and brief floater, ejector, etc.) vs. that fast whip you get from the back. I can't say enough good things about what RMC did with this coaster. Middle and back rows are awesome.

Thanks for the info, those Ecko shorts are totally me lol. Will be looking into purchasing some for sure!

My phone and wallet are kept in my pockets just because of how tight my blue jeans are. No I don't buy skinny jeans I just need to loose some weight. I got my keys on a clip that I just put on a belt loop. My glasses I have a back of the head/neck cord for it. I can tighten it up a lot and i can actually see better on rides now for it. My issues with it are that it doesn't go around my neck but, I can make it so tight they never budge at all.

I hope this is not a repost but if you have a Discover Card you can purchase a 2016 pass with free gold upgrade and the rest of 2015 for free but you have to purchase and redeem by 11/01/15. This is on Discover Deals from their website. It used to be Shop Discover.

"Free upgrade to Gold Pass at Six Flags

Expires: 11/01/2015 Save Right now, purchase online with your Discover card and get the lowest price of the year PLUS a free upgrade to Gold status, which includes perks like free parking, free tickets and more. Buying early also gives you unlimited visits for the remainder of 2015 plus all of 2016.

Click the "Shop Now" button to visit the website.

Pay with your Discover card at checkout.

Receive savings at checkout.

Must click 'Shop Now' to redeem offer

Shop Now

Offer valid through 11/1/2015. Discover card must be used for payment. Available with purchase of 1 or more regular season passes, combo season passes or memberships. Valid for online purchases September 3 – November 1, 2015 only on sixflags.com/DISCOVERPASS. Maximum of 8 passes per order. Passes must be processed at the specified park prior to November 1, 2015 to qualify for the free upgrade to Gold. Cannot be combined with any other discount offer or applied towards the purchase of other tickets. Not valid on waterpark-only season passes. Discount cannot be sold, bartered or redeemed for cash. Operating schedules may vary by park. Please visit sixflags.com for a list of Six Flags parks, operating schedules and to purchase additional tickets. Void if copied, transferred, purchased or sold. SIX FLAGS and all related indicia are trademarks of Six Flags Theme Parks Inc. ®, ™ and © 2015.

Thought this was interesting- beginning Nov. 7th, SFMM will be implementing a new policy for guests with disabilities. It will be called an Attraction Access Pass, and replaces the current Equal Access Pass. It doesn't seem much different than the current system in that you get a return time based on the current wait, but it will require a doctor's note. But it is clearly noted that the note must NOT describe or indicate the nature of the disability/condition.

I don't have much experience or knowledge of these systems since I don't have a disability (and neither do the family and friends I go to parks with), but this is the first time I've heard of a park requiring a doctor's note to obtain a pass.

Not trying to start any arguments or a flame war about disabilities or park policies, just saw it on SFMM's site and found it interesting. But I guess this can serve as an FYI in case anyone is going to the park on Nov. 7th or later and needs this service!

Link: https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/plan-your-visit/guests-with-disabilities?utm_source=park-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SFMM&utm_content=2015-10-07