TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don't think I've seen this answered yet, but what is the process for processing Gold Season Passes at the park? Last year the passes looked just like the regular passes and there weren't any extra steps required beyond scanning your finger at the turnstiles, but I believe they said this year Gold Members have to go elsewhere to get the pass processed. Can anybody clarify this for me?

Just go to the entry gate. They will take your.printout, and give you a pass with your.name sharpied on the back. If the finger scanners are working, they will do that too. I just did it.

I might be going to magic mountain this next weekend like on Friday or Sunday, however SFMM is open the 12th, monday. Is that a non-school day or something? If I end up going to the park, I'll likely just end up doing Full Throttle then Twisted and maybe get some time on older favorites.

suck that's my 2016 pass isn't processed at sf:dk yet since it has a gold meal pass which now works at other parks.

I might be going to magic mountain this next weekend like on Friday or Sunday, however SFMM is open the 12th, monday. Is that a non-school day or something? If I end up going to the park, I'll likely just end up doing YOLOcoaster then Twisted and maybe get some time on older favorites.

suck that's my 2016 pass isn't processed at sf:dk yet since it has a gold meal pass which now works at other parks.

the 12th is Columbus day

In case I do go to SFMM/LA in the coming weekend, are there any single rider lines worth taking advantage of? Went twice in 2010 and once in late 2012 on a VIP tour there.

Haven't been on Full Throttle, TC, Batman, Viper or Revolution (though I know that one is down, as far as I know.)

^ I'm fairly certain they killed the TC single rider line. Really the only ones of use would be Lex and Riddler. Green Lantern you'd be better off waiting in the normal line.

Oh, I completely forgot Green Lantern even existed. Rode it once on my last visit to SFMM and didn't really enjoy it. It along with Scream and maybe X2 are the coasters i'll likely end up ignoring.

^ I'm fairly certain they killed the TC single rider line. Really the only ones of use would be Lex and Riddler. Green Lantern you'd be better off waiting in the normal line.

Oh, I completely forgot Green Lantern even existed. Rode it once on my last visit to SFMM and didn't really enjoy it. It along with Scream and maybe X2 are the coasters i'll likely end up ignoring.

We watched GL lack of spinning when we were at WCB. Didn't ride it and had no desire too.

I might be going to magic mountain this next weekend like on Friday or Sunday, however SFMM is open the 12th, monday. Is that a non-school day or something? If I end up going to the park, I'll likely just end up doing YOLOcoaster then Twisted and maybe get some time on older favorites.

Columbus Day and it's also a Federal holiday - most U.S. government employees have the day off. It's not observed at the state and local level. California eliminated Columbus Day as a paid holiday for state employees back in 2009. Santa Clarita Junior/Senior High schools and L.A.U.S.D. will be in session. Also, it's a bank holiday - although some bank and credit union branches are open - most are not though. So, add all those groups not working Columbus Day together and take into consideration the number of the season pass holders in that group - plus each season pass holder may bring a friend on Columbus Day for $25.00 - it should be a fairly busy day at Magic Mountain.

So, I am going tomorrow. I plan to get there at opening if possible and my plan is two do the rides I've never been on. Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus. My dad wants to leave the park by 2-2:30 pm as our primary ereason is to vist family and attend a family member's funeral down in the LA area. (His Uncle, guy lived a long life.)

so I guess my plan is..

Full Throttle

Goliath

TC (hoping it's a quick line)

Lex Luthor

(i'm still open to suggestions on how to vary this list. Could do Goliath after TC and Lex even.)

I'm slightly confused about the best option after tghose 4. If I end with Lex. is it best to go to the backside of the park and walk up the mountain path there or just go back to the express and ride it up the mountain to tackle Superman, Ninja and Tatsu? I'm not out of shape but I don't prefer running in parks, since apparently it is against the rules and there's a slight safety issue with it.

^ the line for TC was one of the shortest lines at the park when I went a couple weekends ago. Not because nobody was riding it, but because it was staffed well and loading efficiently.

I would try and hit Yolo first. We didn't get on it first thing, and by the time we got back around to it, it was easily an hour wait.

Maybe hit Yolo, TC a couple of times, and then move around the park as you please after.

I am going tomorrow as well. You did not mention if you have a gold pass or not. I do. I only plan on staying for a couple hours or so. If you have a gold, Yolo is the first stop, as you can usually got 3-4 rides in before the GP enters. Even if you don't have gold, maybe you have a Discover card and can enter early with that. And if neither apply, it is still a first good ride, as it is not far from the entry gate. If superman is on you list, that is a good one to do next. If marathoning is what you want to do on that, you will probably ride as often as you want, as most of the GP will dash for X and TC. Tatsu would be a good next stop after (You can do Ninja either before of after Superman). Then you can head over to TC, as the GP rush will be over. You could probably get quite a few rides with limited, if any wait. Then fill in from there. The crowds should be light at opening, and continue through about 2 o'clock. I am basing this on my experiences last year, as well as last week. Fridays are dead until the after school crowd comes in, and I love going on October Fridays. You can easily get in over twenty rides in 2-3 hours if that is your objective.

If you see a tall, middle aged, skinny dude alone, with a Daddy Duck t-shirt, say hi. That would be me!

Edited by scottiemon

^ the line for TC was one of the shortest lines at the park when I went a couple weekends ago. Not because nobody was riding it, but because it was staffed well and loading efficiently.

I would try and hit Yolo first. We didn't get on it first thing, and by the time we got back around to it, it was easily an hour wait.

Maybe hit Yolo, TC a couple of times, and then move around the park as you please after.

I never been on a RMC before, seen lots of POV's but I don't think anything perpares you for getting on a ride for the first time. If I like it enough I'll stay around it. but I know I really like superman, have only been on ninja I think once and Tatsu is the only flyer I can get on so hopefully I get that at least once.

Thanks for the advice,

I am going tomorrow as well. You did not mention if you have a gold pass or not. I do. I only plan on staying for a couple hours or so. If you have a gold, Yolo is the first stop, as you can usually got 3-4 rides in before the GP enters. Even if you don't have gold, maybe you have a Discover card and can enter early with that. And if neither apply, it is still a first good ride, as it is not far from the entry gate. If superman is on you list, that is a good one to do next. If marathoning is what you want to do on that, you will probably ride as often as you want, as most of the GP will dash for X and TC. Tatsu would be a good next stop after (You can do Ninja either before of after Superman). Then you can head over to TC, as the GP rush will be over. You could probably get quite a few rides with limited, if any wait. Then fill in from there. The crowds should be light at opening, and continue through about 2 o'clock. I am basing this on my experiences last year, as well as last week. Fridays are dead until the after school crowd comes in, and I love going on October Fridays. You can easily get in over twenty rides in 2-3 hours if that is your objective.

If you see a tall, middle aged, skinny dude alone, with a Daddy Duck t-shirt, say hi. That would be me!

yeah I got a 2015 gold pass. Thanks for the advice.

goin g to do full throttle, people mover to top of hill and do superman, ninja ant tatsu then head back down for some TC marathoning then finish off with a ride on lex and goliath. if i'm able to stand TC that much.

So, I am going tomorrow. I plan to get there at opening if possible and my plan is two do the rides I've never been on. YOLOcoaster and Twisted Colossus. My dad wants to leave the park by 2-2:30 pm as our primary ereason is to vist family and attend a family member's funeral down in the LA area. (His Uncle, guy lived a long life.)

so I guess my plan is..

YOLOcoaster

Goliath

Lex Luthor

(i'm still open to suggestions on how to vary this list. Could do Goliath after TC and Lex even.)

I'm slightly confused about the best option after tghose 4. If I end with Lex. is it best to go to the backside of the park and walk up the mountain path there or just go back to the express and ride it up the mountain to tackle Superman, Ninja and Tatsu? I'm not out of shape but I don't prefer running in parks, since apparently it is against the rules and there's a slight safety issue with it.

My daughter and I will be there tomorrow morning as well... in line for the gold pass early entry and making our way probably to Yolo for a quick ride then on to TC before the rush hits...

So, I am going tomorrow. I plan to get there at opening if possible and my plan is two do the rides I've never been on. YOLOcoaster and Twisted Colossus. My dad wants to leave the park by 2-2:30 pm as our primary ereason is to vist family and attend a family member's funeral down in the LA area. (His Uncle, guy lived a long life.)

so I guess my plan is..

YOLOcoaster

Goliath

Lex Luthor

My daughter and I will be there tomorrow morning as well... in line for the gold pass early entry and making our way probably to Yolo for a quick ride then on to TC before the rush hits...

Anyone know if my Gold pass from SFNE will get me in early at SFMM? If so, where is the line in relation to the gate. I only remember the Discover card entrance on the far left a few years ago. Thanks.

so I guess my plan is..

YOLOcoaster

Goliath

Lex Luthor

Anyone know if my Gold pass from SFNE will get me in early at SFMM? If so, where is the line in relation to the gate. I only remember the Discover card entrance on the far left a few years ago. Thanks.

It worked for me and my SFOT pass. When I was there it was the far right this July.

Visited Fright Fest again last night in the hopes that our last visit was an anomaly due to lack of crowds and the event still being in "warm-up" mode. Although last night was more crowded, it was still too empty to provide the energy that these events require. Most of the mazes were walk-ons except for Willoughby's (due to atrocious operations — a line of maybe 100 people took almost an hour due to an influx of express pass holders) and the Apocalypse overhaul (still only running one train with staff estimating 1-2hr waits).

The same problems were apparent with the actors that we'd experienced on the previous visit: no energy with many of them just hanging out and chatting with each other. I can't say I blame them as much of the crowd was "acting tough" whenever a monster would approach — lots of eye rolling and scowling from guests who, despite being clearly startled, were more invested in demonstrating attitude than having fun. LOTS of strollers last night and lots of very young kids being dragged into mazes by their parents despite obvious hesitation.

Also, tons of line jumping going on in the mazes, and in the Chupacabra line, the two kids working the entrance were actually assisting in letting what were obviously friends jump other friends into the lines. The express pass clearly sold more than expected as the express pass lines were sometimes longer than the regular lines. In the case of the garden maze, the express pass line essentially became the regular line, and the regular line was then treated like a singe-rider line with only a couple of guests being sent in alongside 10-12 of the express pass guests.

The actors in Willoughby's did a better job this time — there were about three times as many actors in there as there were on our last visit. Asylum was so ridiculously fogged out that it actually made the maze scary (the actors in there hadn't improved, but the fear of being impaled on some rusty debris hidden by the fog was very real). The rest of the mazes were still sub-par, and the scare zones hadn't changed much either. Overall, while there's plenty of fun to be had, we couldn't help but think that Fright Fest has taken a step down from last year's event, but again, much of that is due to the guests.

Rode a bunch of rides (most were a walk-on except for the usual suspects), but also had a truly awful experience on X2. The final raven turn delivered a whiplash that was far beyond anything I've ever experienced on that ride before. At this point, it's probably going to have to join Viper, Scream, and Green Lantern on the blacklist.

It's a shame the event isn't quite what it could be, but you also get what you pay for, and for pass members, this is probably one of the cheapest events in the country. The quality of the mazes, the talent, and the crowds all reflect that.