TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Anyone have tips for FrightFest? I've been to Scary Farm and Horror Nights before, but this year will be my first time doing Halloween at Six Flags.

Prepare to be extraordinarily disappointed.

SFMM mazes always sound better then the ones here at SF:DK. Though last year nightmare manor got me decently well in one of it's rooms.

Just announced this past week: Apocalypse is having a retheme during Fright Fest this year. It will be called Shadows Of Evil: The Ride, based on Call of Duty: Black Ops III. Apparently the queue will be similar to a maze, with scare actors hiding waiting to scare people as they walk through. There has been a TON of theming added to the queue over the week and it looks really good. Looks like it could be a new maze in itself before the ride.

To piggyback off the FrightFest questions.... how are the ride lines on a Saturday? I'm in LA this weekend but won't be able to make it up to the park until 6pm ish this Saturday (thinking with it being the first night... it might not be as crowded?) and have zero interest in anything fright-related just want to hit the rides.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this (unless I missed it from earlier pages), but staff at Twisted Colossus have said they are no longer doing the Single Rider line anymore for the rest of the year. It was even removed from their signage, so I'm guessing it's a permanent decision. Anyone know why?

I visited the park briefly this morning. When I left at 11:30am, every single lane was full to get into the parking lot. The entire length of X2, even going down the hill was nearly gridlocked. Guess it's going to be crowded later!

1145wedyomkippersept201523.thumb.jpg.d97f8c25672cd365cc9359b24e35d6a3.jpg

Entrance road from bottom of Old Road leading into SFMM

I visited the park briefly this morning. When I left at 11:30am, every single lane was full to get into the parking lot. The entire length of X2, even going down the hill was nearly gridlocked. Guess it's going to be crowded later!

You bet ya baby the park was off the hook whacked stacked and tattooed. Bring a friend free day and LA City schools on break and 95 degree weather brought out huge crowd. Photo is from 11:45 at bottom of hill near Chevron / Wendy's and word is the I-5 was backed up to Valencia Blvd 1 mile back from MMPKWY.

^ See, now when I was growing up 15 miles from Great Adventure and we got the idea to visit for a day, if we pulled up and saw the cars backed up that far we turned around and figured out something else to do. No good can come from that many people trying to get inside. No good at all.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this (unless I missed it from earlier pages), but staff at Twisted Colossus have said they are no longer doing the Single Rider line anymore for the rest of the year. It was even removed from their signage, so I'm guessing it's a permanent decision. Anyone know why?

i think a few reasons. they really blew it designing the layout of the queue line. the single rider and main line should end at the same spot, so a grouper can easily send single riders with odd groups. because of that, it can get chaotic with the grouper having to run back and forth. so, sometimes, the regular line was faster than the single rider depending on who was working. now that they've gotten rid of assigned seats, they can't have a single rider line and be efficient.

the line never really seemed to get out of hand. mostly hovering around 30 minutes or so, so to me, it wasn't much of a loss.

glad i didn't go today, i almost was going to. i thought it wasn't going to be that crowded, glad i stayed home.

Fright Fest Saturdays are probably some of the worst days of the year to go, granted this Saturday won't be AS bad but still... Magic Mountain's highest daily attendance is hit on a Saturday in the middle of Fright Fest. And while the mazes and scare zones do take some people away from rides, the difference is minimal.

It may be hard to belive, but if you pick the wrong Saturday, the line can be backed up onto the freeway (from experience )

That's why I avoid all Saturdays that aren't West Coast Bash. That's also why I loved West Coast Bash all the more - since I avoid busy days, I don't often get night rides, so that was a nice change.

Here's a quick trip report from Wednesday September 23rd. We arrived around 9:45 -- 45 minutes before opening -- to find a decent line of cars waiting at the gates. Approaching the entrance, moving through security, and at the front plaza, everywhere was packed with guests. I hadn't been to the park in a couple years, so I was curious to see how the park operations were going to be. Overall, operations were decent, except for a few coaster crews that were really sluggish (Full Thrøttle, Twisted Colossus). However, I was happy to see all the coasters running, at least.

It was frustrating to see that most food and drink locations had lines about 30 minutes long. Many of the dining locations don't seem to be set up for efficiency with how food is ordered and prepared, and plus many dining areas were only at half capacity or so. With the big crowds, I would have hoped for more staff to keep the lines shorter. It makes the park look bad. I'd rather see the park take a more Disney-like approach ("Capacity will increase our guests' fun time") and add more staff if they anticipate large crowds. Fortunately, the first few hours were light on crowds towards for rides towards the back of the park.

In order (all rides 1x):

Twisted Colossus - 20 minutes

Lex Luthor - 5 minutes

Green Lantern* - 10 minutes

Batman - 5 minutes

Riddler's Revenge - 5 minutes

Gold Rusher - 5 minutes

Ninja (1 train) - 60 minutes

Superman (both sides) - 15 minutes

Tatsu (both stations) - 45 minutes

Viper - 5 minutes

Twisted Colossus** - 90 minutes

Full Thrõttle - 60 minutes

*never again

** skipped

Completely agree with your assessment of food locations. Almost every day without fail at the Full Throttle wings and hot dog counters there is almost never more than one person manning the register. There will be 2 only during peak hours on a busy day. Just trying to get a refill on the sports bottle (because the Freestyle machines are so frequently out of ice) it often takes me 15 minutes to finally get one.

But yes, Wednesday was equivalent to a Saturday crowd-wise. Too bad you missed out on Twisted Colossus though...