TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hello guys Saturday, on the WCB I had my first time at SFMM. I would like to make some comments and hear your thoughts on what I felt about each ride

Twisted Colossus: incredible, fun, intense and smooth... Amazing experience, specially when the trains are duelling... I was lucky to have this 3 times.

Scream: biggest disappointment of the day . Rattling, rough and not fun... I was so looking forward to this ride, but I left with a horrible headache. Sad, because she looks reaaaaally pretty.

Riddlers Revenge: I wish Scream was like this one. Fun inversions, good speed. Very fun ride (needs a fresh coat of paint though)

Tatsu: OMG, that pretzel loop is worth the whole ride. AMAZING coaster, and the feeling of being really high... Is unbelievable.

YOLO: short, but sweet... But why they have the breaks in the middle of the drop?

X2: thanks to the ERT we've ridden this beast 4 times in the front row. God... It was the best experience of my life. Everything in this coaster is amazing. The colour scheme, the inversions, speed...wow, just WOW.

Please, share your thoughts with me

I couldn't agree more on TC, Tatsu, and X2. I love those coasters and I ride them multiple times every visit. The pretzel loop on Tatsu is one of my favorite moments on any coaster and the setting really gives you the feeling of flying. X2 seems like a love it or hate it ride, so I'm glad you enjoyed it and are in the love it camp. I've had great rides on X2 all season and don't have any problems riding it 4-5 times in a row. TC is just so much fun and extremely re-rideable, I'm glad that you got to experiences some duels. There's nothing like being upside down in the Top Gun stall and seeing another train below (above?) you. Riddlers is an underrated ride IMO and often gets overlooked, and I do like it better than Scream. Yolo is tons of fun but I wish that they had extended the run out after the top hat so the breaks wouldn't hit so soon. You get a nice pop of air time going over the top and then you're slammed right into the brake.

Edited by VegasBaby

Ninja: I had a totally different conception of the ride from the POV, I was expecting loads of trees and a very secluded coaster. But even without the "green" setting, was nice and more intense that I was expecting.

Just how many trees have been cut down around Ninja after the tree incident? I haven't been to the park in a few years, but the trees really added to the ride. Here's to hoping they don't cut down too many around Revolution during the re-do.

Nice to get a review from a new SFMM visitor, especially one from so far! Thank you.

I'm not sure about Revolution, as I haven't ridden it, but I know that the trims on MindBender at SFoG are there because the ride is so forceful. Perhaps in the years since the older Schwartzkopf's were built - new wheel materials, lubrications, etc... have allowed the trains to travel faster than they did originally.

Revolution is MUCH more of a family-oriented design than Mind Bender. Even with out brakes, there were pauses on all the hilltops. Mind Bender seems hell-bent on getting everything done quickly. The drop brake-overs on Mind Bender are more abrupt, giving nice pops of airtime. Revolution has very gentle and gracious drops. After Revolution's loop, things (are supposed to) get a little more action-packed if it weren't for the trim brakes. Even at full speed, I doubt Revolution would hit the lateral and vertical forces Mind Bender does...

Think Whizzer meets sooperdooperLooper, and add a couple big but mild drops. Anton designed coasters that were fun but also beautiful and perfectly orchestrated for the land they were built on. Revolution takes it's time doing things, there is no hurry. It's not very tall, but HUGE in the way it's spread out and gives you a feeling of going some where.

Revolution is an incredible design of perfection (as is Mind Bender in slightly different ways), dipping and twisting above and around the hills it was built in. Just a reminder, we are not going to get a rip-your-face-off intensity machine when the ride becomes New Revolution. Luckily for me, intensity doesn't always rule which coasters are my favorites, variety is my thing.

With MindBender - if the brakes berfore the inclined helix and the last loop were off - the trains would come back to the station with a bunch of unconscious riders.

That might be pushing it, but close! I rode the heck out of Mind Bender (still my #1 steel coaster) before, during and after the ACE Spring Fling this year. Surprisingly, the trims before the big helix were OFF! I've never experienced that. It was definitely a little more powerful than usual (the 2nd trim before the last loop was on, but seemed to be barely grabbing!). I've found I'm crazy over Anton coasters with or with out trims; they always give a great ride.

I feel like the New Revolution should give us a similar fun and re-rideable experience like we get on California Screamin' at DCA (without the launch of course) Big drops that are not too extreme and a fairly forceful loop. I'm excited to not ride defensively on Revolution any more!

I feel like the New Revolution should give us a similar fun and re-rideable experience like we get on California Screamin' at DCA (without the launch of course) Big drops that are not too extreme and a fairly forceful loop. I'm excited to not ride defensively on Revolution any more!

Totally agree, I just want to be able to enjoy the ride I loved as a kid without having my head bashed in. If the end result is anything like SDL at Hershey, then I will be a very happy camper.

Riddlers is an underrated ride IMO and often gets overlooked, and I do like it better than Scream.

I definitely agree! I've ridden all the B&M stand ups except for Apocalypse and Riddler is by the the smoothest and best layout.

I remember years ago either Walter or Claude was quoted saying Riddler was his favorite coaster. Probably has changed since then, that was around 2000.

Ninja: I had a totally different conception of the ride from the POV, I was expecting loads of trees and a very secluded coaster. But even without the "green" setting, was nice and more intense that I was expecting.

Just how many trees have been cut down around Ninja after the tree incident? I haven't been to the park in a few years, but the trees really added to the ride. Here's to hoping they don't cut down too many around Revolution during the re-do.

Nice to get a review from a new SFMM visitor, especially one from so far! Thank you.

I'm not sure about Revolution, as I haven't ridden it, but I know that the trims on MindBender at SFoG are there because the ride is so forceful. Perhaps in the years since the older Schwartzkopf's were built - new wheel materials, lubrications, etc... have allowed the trains to travel faster than they did originally.

Revolution is MUCH more of a family-oriented design than Mind Bender. Even with out brakes, there were pauses on all the hilltops. Mind Bender seems hell-bent on getting everything done quickly. The drop brake-overs on Mind Bender are more abrupt, giving nice pops of airtime. Revolution has very gentle and gracious drops. After Revolution's loop, things (are supposed to) get a little more action-packed if it weren't for the trim brakes. Even at full speed, I doubt Revolution would hit the lateral and vertical forces Mind Bender does...

Think Whizzer meets sooperdooperLooper, and add a couple big but mild drops. Anton designed coasters that were fun but also beautiful and perfectly orchestrated for the land they were built on. Revolution takes it's time doing things, there is no hurry. It's not very tall, but HUGE in the way it's spread out and gives you a feeling of going some where.

Revolution is an incredible design of perfection (as is Mind Bender in slightly different ways), dipping and twisting above and around the hills it was built in. Just a reminder, we are not going to get a rip-your-face-off intensity machine when the ride becomes New Revolution. Luckily for me, intensity doesn't always rule which coasters are my favorites, variety is my thing.

With MindBender - if the brakes berfore the inclined helix and the last loop were off - the trains would come back to the station with a bunch of unconscious riders.

That might be pushing it, but close! I rode the heck out of Mind Bender (still my #1 steel coaster) before, during and after the ACE Spring Fling this year. Surprisingly, the trims before the big helix were OFF! I've never experienced that. It was definitely a little more powerful than usual (the 2nd trim before the last loop was on, but seemed to be barely grabbing!). I've found I'm crazy over Anton coasters with or with out trims; they always give a great ride.

I love that description. It's beautiful, graceful, picturesque, and iconic. Never meant to be fast and insane like newer rides. This ride has a reason for the way it was designed. Instead of just flying through the whole thing you get nice little drops and turns with pauses in between, to take in the scenery and take a breath. This design is a classic by the master. The loop is the crown jewel. When it reopens with the new trains I hope it will please new generations for a long time.

^I often say Revolution is one of the most beautiful rides ever built! It's really the ultimate movie star coaster, too! It was always in commercials in the 80s and countless movies/tv shows: Vacation, Zapped!, Rollercoaster, Van Nuys Blvd, Kiss Meets the Phantom, Wonder Woman, etc. You'd think someone has a master list. Up there with Cyclone Racer.

In response to the comment several pages back regarding the GP being accountable for 80% of the delays on TC. While this is true, I always go back to my reference of Intimidator at Carowinds. When I went this summer, the crew was operating three trains, the coaster itself has storage bins, AND they had minimal stacking. This is heavily due to the crew being motivated to dispatch the trains as fast as possible. One of the guys had a microphone on during his entire shift and he kept repeating his spiel, "Alright everybody, we're dispatching in 10 seconds, hurry to your seats." It motivates people to hurry and put their stuff away and get into their seats. I think if you're not going to enforce a no loose articles policy, you may as well at least push people to hurry so that they can enjoy the ride to the fullest (and by that I mean dueling). I've only been on TC a handful of times but I haven't had a single duel.

In response to the comment several pages back regarding the GP being accountable for 80% of the delays on TC. While this is true, I always go back to my reference of Intimidator at Carowinds. When I went this summer, the crew was operating three trains, the coaster itself has storage bins, AND they had minimal stacking. This is heavily due to the crew being motivated to dispatch the trains as fast as possible. One of the guys had a microphone on during his entire shift and he kept repeating his spiel, "Alright everybody, we're dispatching in 10 seconds, hurry to your seats." It motivates people to hurry and put their stuff away and get into their seats. I think if you're not going to enforce a no loose articles policy, you may as well at least push people to hurry so that they can enjoy the ride to the fullest (and by that I mean dueling). I've only been on TC a handful of times but I haven't had a single duel.

i agree, there is almost always zero announcements which would help tremendously. some kind of verbal motivation i believe would help out.

i still think it's more of a 50/50 split depending on who is working. all it takes is one slow moving employee to kill the duel. i've seen it happen too many times.

i agree, there is almost always zero announcements which would help tremendously. some kind of verbal motivation i believe would help out.

i still think it's more of a 50/50 split depending on who is working. all it takes is one slow moving employee to kill the duel. i've seen it happen too many times.

I think it's a larger combination of factors. The way the ride operates really doesn't buy them much margin anyways. It takes forever for the lap bars to release, and they're difficult to raise quickly compared to most restraints. Between this and the guests, even relatively fast crews will probably fail more often than not.

As others have said I think it's a stellar ride, but still.

I think it's a larger combination of factors. The way the ride operates really doesn't buy them much margin anyways. It takes forever for the lap bars to release, and they're difficult to raise quickly compared to most restraints. Between this and the guests, even relatively fast crews will probably fail more often than not.

As others have said I think it's a stellar ride, but still.

i think there is plenty of time for the average general public, and a decent crew to run the ride fast enough to duel most of the time. during WCB, we held for track many times. i've still seen many faster crews, and we still had time.

all that said, you are correct, there are things that would make it even faster. the lap bars definitely being one of them. depending on the operator, some open the gates fast, some wait way too long, imo. the gates the employees need to open and close every time take a few seconds away as well. i also think that the crew might need to really make sure with larger guests. just about every time i hear a seat called out for re check, it's a larger guest. that's one of the biggest delays of all, having to walk back to re check a lap bar. would be nice if there were some indicator on the car itself so the crew didn't need to wait for the board operator to tell them one lap bar isn't down enough.

^ A test seat would also do good as well. Sure; Some people don't use test seats but at the same time some people DO use test seats for the convenience of others.

I'm not exactly sure why some people EXPECTED it to duel much after Media Day. I mean, this is Six Flags we're talking about.(edited due to paste issues on mobile)

If you go on a Sunday you won't need an express pass. The crowds really thin out towards the end of the night.

That goes for any night at Fright Fest though, the last half hour or so the crowds really thin out.

If I were to visit Fright Fest, I would do this:

Gates open at 7 for mazes so hit Toyz, Vault 666, and Red's Revenge all right off the bat when lines aren't long. (Those mazes are all right next to each other)

Then take the Orient Express up the hill and hit Willoughby's Resurrected and Garden of Darkness while you're up there.

Walk down the hill of death and head straight to Aftermath (right next to Riddler's Revenge) and boom, you've done all the mazes in 1.5 to 2 hours depending on crowds and what rides you go on along the way. I definitely left out Cupacabra, but it's so bad and not on the way to anything that it's skipable unless you find yourself over by X2 in which case it won't have much of a line anyway.

Helpful hint: Get your maze wristbands BEFORE 7 so you don't wait in the massive line to get them.... Get them a lot earlier in the day.

Also be sure to check out Unleashed at the Looking Glass Theatre and Voodoo Nights at Full Throttle. (Say hi to me if you'd like) As well as the scare zones, especially the one in the Screampunk District since that's the new one this year.

Have a great time!