TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^My main point is that with a no loose article policy, the ride can duel consistently.

Anyways, with Revolution already closed, I wonder when we can expect it to open back up? Anyone know if the park has given a more specific time frame than Summer 2016?

I asked them about the loose article policy on TC during the backstage tour and if they had thought of a mandatory fluffy bunny policy like on X2, they said that it had been discussed but it's not something they're planning on doing now, but could change in the future.

I think TC should've used a dual loading station with 4 operating trains. Two go to each station. That way two can be loaded at once, almost doubling the amount of time to load the trains. It would duel almost every time.

And no, they can't dispatch before the next train hits the MCBR. I have seen them finish checking the train with 15 seconds to spare and the op at the panel said "holding on track" until it hit the midcourse (just hit it, not clear it).

I think TC should've used a dual loading station with 4 operating trains. Two go to each station. That way two can be loaded at once, almost doubling the amount of time to load the trains. It would duel almost every time.

And no, they can't dispatch before the next train hits the MCBR. I have seen them finish checking the train with 15 seconds to spare and the op at the panel said "holding on track" until it hit the mid-course (just hit it, not clear it).

Unfortunately, SFMM has proven they don't really know how to operate a duel loading station in a way that's efficient. So while in an ideal world, that would work, in reality it wouldnt because SFMM.

I think the computer that controls the lift hill was not working properly, preventing duels. Out of 8 rides on TC, I only dueled twice (as in, once on the blue side and once on the green side). The ride operators were on point and quick. We ERT riders were also prepared and ready to go. Trains were dispatching quickly. The blue side would climb the lift hill and catch up to the green side train before the crest of the hill. At this point, it looked like a perfect duel would take place. But then, the blue side would crest the hill while the green side would go over slowly, finally cresting the hill several seconds after the blue train went. Since all the ride ops and riders were doing their part (it was ERT, after all), and since I don't think (though I could be wrong) that the ride operators control the speed of the lift hill, it seems to me that the computer was at fault for such inconsistent duels, unless I'm missing something. There were just a lot of rides that should have dueled (both trains meeting up on the lift hill), only to see the blue train burn past the green train.

Your point about not operating all of the available trains doesn't really stand, either. TTD doesn't operate all of its trains because, after a few seasons of running all six, it was determined that the ride was actually more efficient with five - still more than four, and on a 17-second ride to boot. I believe that Maverick also runs with at least five trains at most times, and often with six if I'm not mistaken.

That's a myth for TTD. Theoretically 5 train and 6 train operation CAN have the same capacity, it's definitely not more efficient, however it's difficult to hit interval with 5 trains, especially with new policies Ride Operations keeps imposing each year. The reason it doesn't run 6 is because moving 6 trains in manual for a downtime is a pain in the ass, also maintenance likes to always have a spare train available for the ride.

I think the computer that controls the lift hill was not working properly, preventing duels. Out of 8 rides on TC, I only dueled twice (as in, once on the blue side and once on the green side). The ride operators were on point and quick. We ERT riders were also prepared and ready to go. Trains were dispatching quickly. The blue side would climb the lift hill and catch up to the green side train before the crest of the hill. At this point, it looked like a perfect duel would take place. But then, the blue side would crest the hill while the green side would go over slowly, finally cresting the hill several seconds after the blue train went. Since all the ride ops and riders were doing their part (it was ERT, after all), and since I don't think (though I could be wrong) that the ride operators control the speed of the lift hill, it seems to me that the computer was at fault for such inconsistent duels, unless I'm missing something. There were just a lot of rides that should have dueled (both trains meeting up on the lift hill), only to see the blue train burn past the green train.

This is what I experienced during morning ERT. We dispatched and easily caught green, only to overtake and crest first. Someone mentioned a few pages ago that they identified this and fixed it around 2pm. When I rode again at 11pm, it did duel almost perfectly on both sides.

Reposting this in case people missed it:

("For the following blue train means train on the blue track, etc.)

In the morning the problem causing the blue train to go over first wasn't mechanical, it was computer. Our backstage tour guide told us there was a computer software problem causing the green train to not catch up with the blue train. He said they shut down the rideat about 2pm to correct the problem and we noticed it was syncing perfectly afterwards while we were on the second tour at 3:15. For those who didn't go on the backstage tours it was explained that the blue lift is a static speed and doesnt change; it's the green lift that is variable and attempts to catch up with the blue lift. There are numerous proximity sensors on the lift and if when the green train enters the lift it sees that the blue train is close enough to be caught, then it speeds up accordingly; if it senses no blue train or the blue train is too far to catch, then it doesn't try. He said the ride ops dont have to specifically dispatch the train at a specific time, they just have a general window in which to dispatch so that the green train is capable of catching the blue one".

Here's some photos of our backstage tour of Twisted Collosus at WCB

079.thumb.JPG.d3e0b6b1f6f9eb2c3c37dd8b29705215.JPG

Staff at SFMM giving us a guided tour

081.thumb.JPG.baed1f606c5e7ecd6f5d32b6c23e18a9.JPG

075.thumb.JPG.627fd9c265a1ceb13d55074a718be0d6.JPG

077.thumb.JPG.56752a0d8ede0d05fe281fc26f7c8812.JPG

086.thumb.JPG.cdf44d1b4d7844153fcee156ce062410.JPG

I love this view of Scream. The curves are sexy

092.thumb.JPG.c8d74e2c73ac616afc05ee0833d69e9b.JPG

0-G roll in action!

093.thumb.JPG.231ca39dc21963398f24ffd8f92abc72.JPG

094.thumb.JPG.ff91d9e5f76e0b30c8d3c496a888eb2c.JPG

101.thumb.JPG.424a638649cb2f8b5be9e325eb42b861.JPG

105.thumb.JPG.de789066be7c150d0cf1a813abf5c2b9.JPG

Reverse view of the 0-G roll!

103.thumb.JPG.84c01b6b70c0982350f9cd1b559dc154.JPG

106.thumb.JPG.eb207befd2e739797e7dc2f5796ae7d4.JPG

Top Gun Stall.....WHEEEEE

112.thumb.JPG.c502e1922efb90f7d977e701194b80b0.JPG

Double Down

114.thumb.JPG.c2774719383d50e2a90f5379ada11f55.JPG

117.thumb.JPG.0b17cf9b26a2d69a2f5f4761513e4aec.JPG

UUUUPPPPPP and OVERRRRRRRRR

119.thumb.JPG.1eb59b6d3678a64dc0b01c69bdbac334.JPG

121.thumb.JPG.4bf7fad27f7d50737e9870dcadc4153d.JPG

Some solid wood

123.thumb.JPG.0b1834d963bf398dec05a30c33a736dd.JPG

Air Time Hill.....WHOA! there goes lunch

126.thumb.JPG.a9d37edde36dfa91dccd06e509e7f194.JPG

I love this pic

128.thumb.JPG.7dc1f47a412fa35e4cd14f7eb6fa77de.JPG

GOLIATH

138.thumb.JPG.63369146426bfc24c35291bccce41d44.JPG

Feel the positive G-Force pulsing through your body

142.thumb.JPG.a6f9df0e01e5547fcba502716cd4c41f.JPG

144.thumb.JPG.b2c820ac05a908fd4ea43cfbd9742693.JPG

155.thumb.JPG.4ee670e877e01e91b115f3bac1c75679.JPG

Goliath Tunnel

156.thumb.JPG.fbbf5ac5d23eaf6a52c155cc76fe0e20.JPG

WHOOPS....85 MPH is too fast for my camera here lol

179.thumb.JPG.88a4abf5acc3357bca84c5ddb7128217.JPG

181.thumb.JPG.1cad3485e7b97e6f7bdacb359d28da1d.JPG

186.thumb.JPG.a682523be6e2c4d40e2a9e5213ae70ce.JPG

Love the hang time!

188.thumb.JPG.6d205be3bfacec3b3991e812c07e5c49.JPG

192.thumb.JPG.ba9e1198694430849fe80b678da8cda9.JPG

200.thumb.JPG.11e7796e6232d374b36b875b65b6e569.JPG

I see coaster nerds!

201.thumb.JPG.28f0224dc6c48fe53c1b15b43441ef61.JPG

206.thumb.JPG.29ad33b4432981cdb54be3d38fdb33b5.JPG

Lift hill motor

212.thumb.JPG.d599a29d101d908ec5e12e46cd441111.JPG

216.thumb.JPG.8b7894b7169363e435a3eb83b3498f90.JPG

55 gallons of lube.....heh heh heh

220.thumb.JPG.bd0c14340ad8f0ffab8c0d522d122a71.JPG

WTF is that waving at me?

210.thumb.JPG.2bf75a5e37aecff2832002e11c08c4d7.JPG

Up Up Up

227.thumb.JPG.e760a70faec7e97c94d9881a507ffe3a.JPG

Curvy twistedness

230.thumb.JPG.3ec0630550740a8c121f03384699e4ba.JPG

235.thumb.JPG.8874034bac86eb35e0270045a8f98e88.JPG

Off to ride mayhem in to twistyness

238.thumb.JPG.5801f02dce12d6c32496e30427e7261f.JPG

242.thumb.JPG.56aa6391db8ef8688442254f12943260.JPG

Hello guys Saturday, on the WCB I had my first time at SFMM. I would like to make some comments and hear your thoughts on what I felt about each ride

Twisted Colossus: incredible, fun, intense and smooth... Amazing experience, specially when the trains are duelling... I was lucky to have this 3 times.

Scream: biggest disappointment of the day . Rattling, rough and not fun... I was so looking forward to this ride, but I left with a horrible headache. Sad, because she looks reaaaaally pretty.

Lex Luthor: amazing drop. The only comment about this ride is the break... Quite sudden, but it's an amazing ride.

Riddlers Revenge: I wish Scream was like this one. Fun inversions, good speed. Very fun ride (needs a fresh coat of paint though)

Apocalypse: I believe that been stuck inside of a tumble dryer is less rattling than this. Hated.

Goliath: mmmmmmmmm.... Mmmmmmmmm.... The MCBR ruins the experience. The drop could be steeper... But, it's an OK coaster (Shambalah is still better)

Green Lantern: the underdog of the park. Really nice, smooth and intense. The flips are scary. And the fact that you return to the station upside down is really cool.

Ninja: I had a totally different conception of the ride from the POV, I was expecting loads of trees and a very secluded coaster. But even without the "green" setting, was nice and more intense that I was expecting.

Tatsu: OMG, that pretzel loop is worth the whole ride. AMAZING coaster, and the feeling of being really high... Is unbelievable.

YOLO: short, but sweet... But why they have the breaks in the middle of the drop?

Superman: shorter, but sweeter... But for heavens sake... The crew on this coaster (along with Tatsu) are reaaaaally slow :-/

Viper: alright, here's the thing... Back in the 90s, I'm sure it was an excellent coaster. Today, definitely not. Having said that, I was on tge front row... And the ride was considerably less rattling than Scream.

X2: thanks to the ERT we've ridden this beast 4 times in the front row. God... It was the best experience of my life. Everything in this coaster is amazing. The colour scheme, the inversions, speed...wow, just WOW.

Please, share your thoughts with me

^Thank you for that, I did miss it.

Darn, that's a dissappointment. I was really hoping they would take those off.

I wonder what the reason for keeping them is, my guess, is the age of it and stress to the structure?

Damn, that sucks but at least it will be a more comfortable and enjoyable ride, I'll still go on it.

You're correct on all counts. It was the computer that was at fault and the operators have no control over the lift speed. I guess this is what you get when you have SF doing controls in house instead of IOE

Reposting this in case people missed it:

("For the following blue train means train on the blue track, etc.)

In the morning the problem causing the blue train to go over first wasn't mechanical, it was computer. Our backstage tour guide told us there was a computer software problem causing the green train to not catch up with the blue train. He said they shut down the rideat about 2pm to correct the problem and we noticed it was syncing perfectly afterwards while we were on the second tour at 3:15. For those who didn't go on the backstage tours it was explained that the blue lift is a static speed and doesnt change; it's the green lift that is variable and attempts to catch up with the blue lift. There are numerous proximity sensors on the lift and if when the green train enters the lift it sees that the blue train is close enough to be caught, then it speeds up accordingly; if it senses no blue train or the blue train is too far to catch, then it doesn't try. He said the ride ops dont have to specifically dispatch the train at a specific time, they just have a general window in which to dispatch so that the green train is capable of catching the blue one".

I made one error there. Regarding the sensors it should say "If when the blue train enters the lift it sees that the green train is close enough..." - though I suspect most here knew what I meant since the way I wrote it is impossible

I wonder what the reason for keeping them is, my guess, is the age of it and stress to the structure?

Damn, that sucks but at least it will be a more comfortable and enjoyable ride, I'll still go on it.

Tim B. said it was the forces the ride put on riders was the reason they are there now and will stay.

Tim B. said it was the forces the ride put on riders was the reason they are there now and will stay.

Always something.

I'm not sure about Revolution, as I haven't ridden it, but I know that the trims on MindBender at SFoG are there because the ride is so forceful. Perhaps in the years since the older Schwartzkopf's were built - new wheel materials, lubrications, etc... have allowed the trains to travel faster than they did originally.

With MindBender - if the brakes berfore the inclined helix and the last loop were off - the trains would come back to the station with a bunch of unconscious riders.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure about Revolution, as I haven't ridden it, but I know that the trims on MindBender at SFoG are there because the ride is so forceful. Perhaps in the years since the older Schwartzkopf's were built - new wheel materials, lubrications, etc... have allowed the trains to travel faster than they did originally.

With MindBender - if the brakes berfore the inclined helix and the last loop were off - the trains would come back to the station with a bunch of unconscious riders.

Thoughts?

i really didn't ride Revolution enough to know it very well. last i did, the last day, i didn't think the brakes were horrible. maybe cause i was so busy not trying to hit my head, i wasn't paying attention. i can understand slowing the train going into the loop, but that's about it.

okay, had to go watch a video. so the one before the loop i can understand. the one before going through the loop seems like a bit strong. maybe it can be adjusted so it doesn't crawl through that spot. it doesn't seem the forces there are anything to worry about.