TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I believe they are the "original" in the sense that new trains have never been purchased outright, but over the course of time everything has been replaced. A restoration will take the ride from terrible to slightly above average IMO, so I'm totally indifferent about this.

Plus, what happened to "state laws preventing this" like Tim Burkhart said all those years ago?

Edited by Jew

Plus, what happened to "state laws preventing this" like Tim Burkhart said all those years ago?

My guess is that....

1. That excuse was complete BS, or

2. The fact that they are getting completely new trains allows it, as opposed to simply taking the harnesses off the existing trains.

#2 is correct. It was basically a white lie. The real answer was yes they could, but with new trains. So the effective answer was no, because they weren't going to be adding new trains anytime soon.

As far as cleanliness is concerned, who really cares...I mean, your ticket prices are going to be higher if they spend more on that stuff...I think most people would rather have some overflowing trash cans or stuff like that then to pay even more for a season pass or whatever. We're all in it just for the coasters.

I remember working at Disney World and some older woman there saying she'd never been to Universal Studios because she heard it was dirty. I pretty much laughed my head off about that afterwards. Sure, miss out on two parks that have far more top-tier attractions than all of DW put together if you're above the age of 11 because of some silly nonsense someone said about the park being dirty. And hell, they did implement extra work for custodians and others during the time while not hiring many new workers when I visited Universal Orlando some six years ago and it turned out to be a fantastic cost saving device that contributed to the park posting record profits in spite of muted attendance growth (Potter was being built) and lower merchandise sales because of the economy. I mean, if you want a park that's going to be super focused on atmosphere, cleanliness and hospitality, then by all means go somewhere like Disneyland and enjoy paying $110 to get in...I think the rest of us that just want to ride some sweet coasters don't mind Six Flags cutting back on costs and making it come out to like $5-10 a visit for my girlfriend and I with the season pass.

Edited by CoastersOnly

My guess is that....

2. The fact that they are getting completely new trains allows it, as opposed to simply taking the harnesses off the existing trains.

Who cares. Revolution will once again ride OTSR-free, and hopefully won't look like a sad shell of its former self anymore. That's what matters here.

Yep, it's going to be a smoother and less painful ride with a few neat new touches.

I'm a little worried about Gold Rusher and Ninja because the last time my girlfriend and I went (mid-week in May 2014), they actually had people giving oral questionaires to visitors waiting in line and they asked specifically about only those two coasters (after a few general questions) and whether or not we'd be riding them. We told the woman that we'd been there yesterday and rode every single coaster (except for Revolution which was down for annual maintenance) and she was then able to finish the survey right there. Clearly, they're looking at those two coasters as well for future upgrades and/or removal. I really hope they don't lose either as they're fun rides and both are unique compared to the rest of the park's offerings...MM has a world-class array of coasters that all offer a different experience with the only real overlap being between Revolution and Full Throttle (to some extent...type of cars, track color, focus on the loop, location, etc.). Ninja in particular is a lot more fun than people give it credit for and a very unique kind of ride that you don't see in most places, even if I'm sure a lot of its appeal has winnowed thanks to the removal of the trees (boo!).

My guess is that....

#2 is correct. It was basically a white lie. The real answer was yes they could, but with new trains. So the effective answer was no, because they weren't going to be adding new trains anytime soon.

Actually, it's #1. #2 is just the convenient thing to say now. There was never a law that mandated OTSR's. I always thought it was funny Tim said that.

Regardless, it's an upgrade. I'm still totally indifferent because I think the ride is only going to turn out marginally better and the reason people are so excited is nostalgia. But to each their own...at least it's not a Larson super loop.

There was never a law that mandated OTSR's. I always thought it was funny Tim said that.

Correct, what I meant was there is indeed a law preventing them from removing them after they have been added, which is why it was half true.

at least it's not a Larson super loop.

Oh man, I'm so happy it's not a Larson loop, although I don't know if we'll be so lucky in 2017.

I think it's great if they're using the original chassis, just taking off the OTSR's and using another companies restraints. Keeps the ride original as possible while giving us exactly what we want. The old ride, with new updated restraints. As long as my heads not banging against those stupid things, it becomes an old classic again, and gives something the younger crowd who haven't been on the bigger rides before something to start off with. Revolution was my first looping coaster, and I remember being so terrified, but it was so amazing once it was all said and done.

The best thing about this is that they have the somewhat passive aggressive "Have a heart do your part" message, while they aren't even doing their part. If you're gonna have sassy trash cans, you better be on your A-game.

Seriously! Or just have more effing trash cans. Or find a MORE efficient way to keep them empty, as well as clean. I was an employee for a year at Magic Mountain, and the issue with this company is NOT that it's something very easy to fix, it's that NOBODY THINKS IT'S THEIR JOB TO FIX IT!!! So they don't do it! Talk about a lack of pride in the company you work for...and the hardest thing to break that culture is the people that have been there the longest are the people that are in charge encouraging this type of lackadaisical mentality. I worked there because I loved the place, but all anyone ever tried to do was discourage me to go above and beyond and it got old so I moved on to bigger and better things. It's a big part of why IMO the park is still has the half assed money grab appearance to this day.

Ironically, I like the coasters and so do my friends, so I bit yesterday and paid for the membership (5.99/month) after doing the $20 down payment just because about 2-3 times a year friends want to go and the pass provides free parking and cheap days for us to go and ride. Perhaps I was mistaken about the meal plan though, as I thought it was $12.99 per month to ADD the meal plan, not get your membership at a total of $12.99 per month including the plan.

Did I miss something? I saw $6 per month X 12 months = $72 for a membership, PLUS $13 per month X 12 months = $160 for a meal plan for a total of $232 per year which I was not going to pay. Not only have my dining experiences at the park been mediocre, I'd rather leave and take a break spending more money at a nice local sit down restaurant, then return and have the night sesh with a couple beers in me.

There was never a law that mandated OTSR's. I always thought it was funny Tim said that.

Correct, what I meant was there is indeed a law preventing them from removing them after they have been added, which is why it was half true.

Oh man, I'm so happy it's not a Larson loop, although I don't know if we'll be so lucky in 2017.

That's not true either. All they ALWAYS needed to do was essentially tell the state "hey, come check out this modification we made. Here's the proper paperwork" and then have them approve it.

That's not true either. All they ALWAYS needed to do was essentially tell the state "hey, come check out this modification we made. Here's the proper paperwork" and then have them approve it.

So..... they just didn't want to make the effort before?

^I think it was established that they didn't want to remove the OTSR's for insurance reasons, but it was easier for them to lie and say it wasn't permitted. Buying new trains or updating the restraint system on the trains would allow them to remove the OTSR's (much like they're doing now) however in the past, they had no reason to remove the OTSR's as it wasn't a priority, and ridership was still fairly stable. Now that it's an anniversary and enough people have bitched about it, they're finally updating the ride and marketing it as a "new" ride of sorts.