TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I had just given up on the idea of Revolution ever being restored, so this was a surprise for me to see this morning and definitely made my day. Way to go SFMM. Looking foreword to riding Revolution next year.

Just popping in here to say this is an awesome addition. I have really wanted to go to Magic Mountain and currently have close friends who live in LA and constantly bug me to come out. Twisted Colossus almost did it this year but then we decided Kennywood/Cedar Point was the move for our 2015 trip. Now this has me SERIOUSLY trying to figure out a short hop out there to finally check out this park. I grew up watching Vacation and have been aware of both where/what these coasters actually are for a long time. Obviously this refreshing is something that's needed from what I can tell by the posts here and elsewhere, and its so great the park listened to years of complaining from the fans and is doing something about it. I'm curious to see the paint job on the track too.

So the park is just refurbishing the trains? Not Gerstlauer? If the outcome is anything like SooperDooperLooper you guys are in for a treat. SDL is crazy awesome smooth, kind of scary great for being as old as it is imo.

So a corkscrew is not a loop? Isnt it just a different kind of loop?

"Looping" meaning it goes upside down. Outlaw Run is a looping wooden roller coaster, and it has a noticeable lack of loop as well.

This is not *technically* correct. I think in general terms, many people including myself use "looping" synonymous for "going upside down" because this is what most people understand and how they refer to "loops" on a coaster that may not even have a single "loop", but if you want to get technical, that is not the case. Corkscrew was the first modern coaster to "go upside down" but it was not the first "looping" coaster, meaning to travel through a vertical loop.

While Flip Flap railway was first, it was also not successful. It closed in 1902 and then coasters didn't go upside down again until 1975. Call it what you want, but Revolution was the first "looping" coaster that actually stood the test of time and engineering. There is absolutely marketing value in that.

While Flip Flap railway was first, it was also not successful. It closed in 1902 and then coasters didn't go upside down again until 1975.
And if you want to see and learn more about why that is, watch the episode of Thrill Factor with Olympia Looping in it (Episode 104 - In The Hot Seat). Flip Flap railway had a circular loop with ridiculous G's..it took them a while to figure out that changing the shape made all the difference.

2129520999_ScreenShot2015-09-03at9_31_45PM.thumb.png.6da64693b732c0528a7d3048012a6179.png

okay, question. i'm on a membership. i'm also on a dining plan membership. if i understand correctly, i can cancel my dining plan after 12 months, correct? i'm trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to buy a dining plan(non membership) now, and just eat, pun intended, the wasted payments until i can cancel the membership dining plan.

i guess i also want to verify if i can buy a non membership dining plan with a membership pass.

this sale is pretty killer. includes unlimited drinks and 20% off merchandise. hard to pass up. i blew it last year and didn't buy it on sale.

^ Yes with either the admission or dining membership you're locked for 12 months and after that you can cancel at any time.

I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't be able to just buy a regular non-membership dining pass by itself, it could just be separate from your admission pass/membership. Should work either way.

^ Yes with either the admission or dining membership you're locked for 12 months and after that you can cancel at any time.

I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't be able to just buy a regular non-membership dining pass by itself, it could just be separate from your admission pass/membership. Should work either way.

yeah, that's what i'm thinking. to me, i'm thinking the sports bottle is worth $20. so basically roughly 70 bucks for half the year since i started the member dining pass in june. be nice if i could use both until i cancel the member dining plan, but i'd guess that's not happening. lol

oh, and have dining passes always been all parks? i didn't think so.

Quick question regarding the gold pass upgrade. I did it last year and it was great, but it's saying we have to process it at the park before November 1st. Does this mean i purchase it online but don't go before November 1st, it just becomes a regular season pass? Since I didn't plan a fright fest trip this year, I'm not sure if I'll be going again any time soon

While Flip Flap railway was first, it was also not successful. It closed in 1902 and then coasters didn't go upside down again until 1975.
And if you want to see and learn more about why that is, watch the episode of Thrill Factor with Olympia Looping in it (Episode 104 - In The Hot Seat). Flip Flap railway had a circular loop with ridiculous G's..it took them a while to figure out that changing the shape made all the difference.

According to Wikipedia, Flip Flap Railway's Loop pulled 12G. Holy force, Batman: The Ride!

I am just so happy about this announcement!!! It is about time. What is going on with Magic Mountain lately? It's like they are actually trying to restore their reputation.

Honestly, I am greatly satisfied with all of the Six Flags announcements. All very good decisions throughout the chain (although I do feel bad for a few parks that don't get a lot, but even those parks are vastly improving in experience).

okay, question. i'm on a membership. i'm also on a dining plan membership. if i understand correctly, i can cancel my dining plan after 12 months, correct? i'm trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to buy a dining plan(non membership) now, and just eat, pun intended, the wasted payments until i can cancel the membership dining plan.

i guess i also want to verify if i can buy a non membership dining plan with a membership pass.

Hey! Is there a reason why you're not doing the membership dining pass? I'm curious because I'm in the same position! I have the non-membership gold pass and dining pass... but I want to convert both (via this sale) to the membership gold pass/dining pass. Is there a reason you want the dining pass to not be membership as well? Curious

I am just so happy about this announcement!!! It is about time. What is going on with Magic Mountain lately? It's like they are actually trying to restore their reputation.

Honestly, I am greatly satisfied with all of the Six Flags announcements. All very good decisions throughout the chain (although I do feel bad for a few parks that don't get a lot, but even those parks are vastly improving in experience).

Agree. Although I'm not a huge fan of the Larson Loops, it's nice to see SF putting a lot of decent stuff at all of their parks. And it's about damned time that they did something with Revolution's trains/restraints!

Hey! Is there a reason why you're not doing the membership dining pass? I'm curious because I'm in the same position! I have the non-membership gold pass and dining pass... but I want to convert both (via this sale) to the membership gold pass/dining pass. Is there a reason you want the dining pass to not be membership as well? Curious

because the membership dining isn't on sale. it's a lot more. looking, i see 13.99 per month.

because the membership dining isn't on sale. it's a lot more. looking, i see 13.99 per month.

That explains that! I have the dining pass that expires at the end of this year. So I guess I'll purchase this to expand across the parks. If you find out how that works (gold pass membership + non-membership dining pass) please update

That explains that! I have the dining pass that expires at the end of this year. So I guess I'll purchase this to expand across the parks. If you find out how that works (gold pass membership + non-membership dining pass) please update

Just got off the phone with SF. Basically, there's no gold pass membership dining option, only the $84.99 option. When you purchase a new membership + dining pass, the dining pass will just end at the end of 2016, and the membership will continue.

No way to pass your current pass/dining to anyone else (no surprise there).