TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I was hoping this is what they did for this year! Can't wait to ride this the way Anton intended for it. Gotta think SFMM doesn't get another coaster until the 50th anniversary, as that would be their 20th. Thinking maybe a frisbee, a star flyer, Justice League dark ride, and water park something or other over next few years.

The way Roy Walley intended.

They should get Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, Lynda Carter, KISS, Timothy Bottoms, etc. to ride the first train. They could do a big promotion, the "Geezer Train!" Just think of all the famous people who rode that ride.

As long as Sparks provides the music to the ceremony!

I was hoping this is what they did for this year! Can't wait to ride this the way Anton intended for it. Gotta think SFMM doesn't get another coaster until the 50th anniversary, as that would be their 20th. Thinking maybe a frisbee, a star flyer, Justice League dark ride, and water park something or other over next few years.

The way Roy Walley intended.

I have a few questions about memberships to Six Flags.

Am I reading this correctly?:

I get a Gold Season Pass and Gold Meal Season Pass for $13.99 a month for 12 months? ($167.88 total, before fees)

Or

Is it going to be $5.99 + $13.99 for a total of $19.98 per month? ($239.76 total, before fees)

I ask because in the past Six Flags has charged interest on their monthly payment plans and if I buy the passes outright, it comes to a total of $156.98 (before fees) which is substantially less the $19.98 per month price.

I just want to make absolutely sure what I'm getting into.

You're better off buying the regular membership with the monthly payments and then the Dining Pass separately for the $85 gold price upgrade sale. It doesn't look like they're offering the cheaper dining pass price for the membership option.

What a pleasant surprise! This should vastly improve the ride experience.

I never expected the "renovate Revolution" pipe dream to become a reality. But for all the criticism this park gets, I think this decision deserves a lot of praise. It seems the park listened to its customers and took an opportunity to enhance an existing attraction, which they didn't often do before Twisted Colossus.

Two remaining questions: Will Twisted Colossus's 4th train be shipped with the new trains for New Revolution? And after New Revolution, will the park send the painters over to Tatsu?

If season passes were $150, they would still be a steal.

As long as Sparks provides the music to the ceremony!

I LOVE that song, due to that movie! It's got a permanent spot on my playlist. "Big boy comes around, throws his weight around, throws our girls around, leaves without a sound!"

Not sure where I read it, but it seems they are keeping the old Revolution chassis and replacing everything above them. That's good! They will retain slightly loose/heavenly-noise-making Schwarzkopf feel (as opposed to the super-spring-tight feel of many new chassis designs).

That's not completely new trains as the announcement stated. It NEEDS new trains. Imagine running the course with no slop or backlash whipping jolts, you just hug the track and take the dives and turns a lot smoother. That would be nice again.

If they are Gerst trains this should end up really good.

Interesting but I think you saw it here.....

www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-revolution-six-flags-magic-mountain-20150903-story.html

Now because this was written for a newspaper it means one of two things...

1. They are in fact keeping the chassis of the trains and rebuilding/fefurbishing them

2. Because of who wrote this the writer has no clue or does not know how to properly explain the trains are completely new and refers to the track itself as being the chassis

Either way, I'm very happy they are doing anything with the trains and at the very least the awful OTSRS will once and for all be gone.

Edited by Tmcdllr

Was it not the world's first looping coaster..........?

It was the first modern roller coaster with a vertical loop. Silverwood's Corkscrew, which operated at Knott's before Revolution, was the first modern looping coaster. As for the first looping coaster, Revolution was beat by about 60 years.

It actually should be world's first steel looping coaster.

http://rcdb.com/6578.htm

It was the first modern roller coaster with a vertical loop. Silverwood's Corkscrew, which operated at Knott's before Revolution, was the first modern looping coaster. As for the first looping coaster, Revolution was beat by about 60 years.

So the first looping coaster didn't have a loop.

That's really interesting.

So the first looping coaster didn't have a loop.

That's really interesting.

So a corkscrew is not a loop? Isnt it just a different kind of loop?

"Looping" meaning it goes upside down. Outlaw Run is a looping wooden roller coaster, and it has a noticeable lack of loop as well.

^ I like to say that Revolution was the first SUCCESSFUL vertical looping coaster (all the others failed due to the loops being too circular which put way too much force on the riders)

Anyways, I am so happy that Revolution will be restored to its former glory. If it is anywhere near as good as SDL, you guys in the Cali are in for a treat.

"Looping" meaning it goes upside down.

Man I'm learning so much today

Loop actually refers to the shape of a line that begins and ends in the same place. So in actuality, a corkscrew in coaster terms, where it is an inversion, is not a vertical loop.

Here endeth the TPR Geometry lesson.

^There is also a difference between an open loop and a closed loop. But honestly, it could be considered a looping coaster. (Cough) Jeff Johnson! (Cough) Except it is fully powered, and doesn't really coast.

"Looping" meaning it goes upside down.

Man I'm learning so much today

Loop actually refers to the shape of a line that begins and ends in the same place. So in actuality, a corkscrew in coaster terms, where it is an inversion, is not a vertical loop.

Here endeth the TPR Geometry lesson.

Hey that's exactly what I was thinking. Interesting and completely nerdy stuff.

If someone is currently a season pass holder (for the rest of 2015) and wants to buy the flash sale, how would that work, and is that possible? Since obviously 2015 would overlap.

I bought it during the flash sale last year (for the rest of 2014 and all of 2015), but want to buy again during this flash sale (for the rest of this year and all of next)?

Will Twisted Colossus's 4th train be shipped with the new trains for New Revolution? And after New Revolution, will the park send the painters over to Tatsu?

I've heard that the 4th train is already at the park and is being stored indoors until one of the current 3 trains needs rehab and then it will be swapped in.

Hopefully with this year's focus being an updated Revolution, Tatsu will indeed receive a paint job since it is Revolution-Adjacent. MM tends to paint old coasters when new coasters are added nearby for media exposure. (Scream with TC, Viper with X2, etc.)

If someone is currently a season pass holder (for the rest of 2015) and wants to buy the flash sale, how would that work, and is that possible? Since obviously 2015 would overlap.

I bought it during the flash sale last year (for the rest of 2014 and all of 2015), but want to buy again during this flash sale (for the rest of this year and all of next)?

I just bought it earlier today and I still have the 2015 pass. It asks you during the processing if you're already a pass holder, but I can't imagine there'll be any problems. I'll take care of it on my next visit, but I assume they'll just swap my existing pass for a new one. It would nice to donate the remaining months of my existing pass to a friend, but I doubt it would be possible.

Hell has frozen over!!

Never thought I'd see the day they would actually do this! I watched the full announcement video before knowing what all the parks were getting and as I just kept seeing Larson Loop after Larson Loop, I started to get worried. The moment I saw Revolution, I couldn't contain my excitement...the whole office heard me.

I'm actually more excited about this then when TC was announced! New trains are awesome, but please for the love of god remove all the trims, then we would really get to experience the ride the way it was in it's glory days.

I also immediately picked up my season pass for next year, and wasn't planning on doing Fright Fest this year, but now I have to since the passes need to be redeemed by the 1st of November, so smart move SFMM!!

So realistically, what special effects to we think will occur? Keep in mind not to get too crazy. Both X2's special effects and Füll Throttle's didn't live up to the hype. I also don't see many opportunities for effects with TNR (The New Revolution) for special effect placement. Somebody mentioned LED lights on the loop. I think that would look awesome. Additionally, I can imagine them doing something with the tunnel (again, probably lights).