TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

But...But...Hasn't SFMM Management told us it was ILLEGAL for them to put lap bar only trains on Revolution MULTIPLE TIMES?!?!?!

Haha! So glad to finally put that stupid debate to rest (of have we)? . After The Joker, this may be my favorite SF announcement this year. I haven't been on Revolution in over a decade.

But...But...Hasn't SFMM Management told us it was ILLEGAL for them to put lap bar only trains on Revolution MULTIPLE TIMES?!?!?!
^That's why there's shin bars..

This right here. They probably asked Gerstlauer to fit them on the new Schwarzkopf coaster train design.

I have a few questions about memberships to Six Flags.

Am I reading this correctly?:

I get a Gold Season Pass and Gold Meal Season Pass for $13.99 a month for 12 months? ($167.88 total, before fees)

Or

Is it going to be $5.99 + $13.99 for a total of $19.98 per month? ($239.76 total, before fees)

I ask because in the past Six Flags has charged interest on their monthly payment plans and if I buy the passes outright, it comes to a total of $156.98 (before fees) which is substantially less the $19.98 per month price.

I just want to make absolutely sure what I'm getting into.

Even though it's been unrideable for years, I've never given up on it. I still say it's my favorite coaster when someone asks. I know I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I would love for the headrests to be removed, too.

..and I hope they suspend one of the new trains upside-down in the loop during the makeover. When I was a kid, seeing that train stuck in that loop caused so much anxiety for me. I couldn't wait for Revolution to open.

On June 10th, on page 4429, I wrote, "The least expensive yet amazing modification to Viper would be to change the restraints to the same restraints that Twisted Colossus uses. Heck, they could just build one train and keep running some of the old trains to save money."

On June 9th, singmfrc wrote, "Yeah its just a bit rough. It's nowhere near as bad as Revolution, but redesigned trains and/or even just some new more comfortable restraints would make a huge difference. I'm not kidding anyone though, I don't expect any of that..if they can't do it for Revolution they aren't going to do it for Viper."

Edited by mike932

Assuming that's true and maybe the shin guard is the reason it's okay now (and I don't know enough about local laws or the legal end of the industry to even begin to speculate on it), how is it okay on Montezooma's Revenge to just have a lap bar?

I have no idea how this stuff works but I'm curious so if anyone has any insight that would be great.

Assuming that's true and maybe the shin guard is the reason it's okay now (and I don't know enough about local laws or the legal end of the industry to even begin to speculate on it), how is it okay on Montezooma's Revenge to just have a lap bar?

I have no idea how this stuff works but I'm curious so if anyone has any insight that would be great.

It's almost certainly BS that they used to justify why they put on the OTSRs. The real reason was likely to reduce insurance costs as new, more restrictive restraints would probably justify lower premiums due to "reduced risk" and over a period of a few years, it would save enough to have paid for the "improvement" and then some. The changeover also probably reduced overall operating costs as people stopped riding the stupid thing and overall capacity and operations costs for the attraction could be reduced in kind, which since attendance was generally stable or occasionally still increasing for most of the last 20 years, was totally OK to management. Now to repaint the ride, put some lights on it, and buy new trains means they can market it as a "new attraction" for not much capital expenditure and justify reverting the ride to, you know, ride-able condition.

^^^It was a lie, people have asked them a million times at every event and they always had some excuse. Someone would bring up Montezooma and they would come up with some other excuse. ^^ is right. It was all for ease and insurance money, I don't know why they couldn't just admit that because now it makes it funny to all of us who listened and smiled and nodded EVERY YEAR hearing the excuses. Shin guards are great, but there was no law and they have nothing to do with the law.

Wait SFMM does something the fans like for the second year in a row? This is Total Mayhem, or a there is a good Joker there.

In all seriousness, After years of reading fans asking about the renovation I will wonder about the reviews next year.

I hope the locals rally around the ride like they do with Sooperdooperlooper at Hershey. Sooperdooperlooper seems to have seen an incredible surge in popularity lately between the queue times and incredible amount of merchandise sales for the ride. It seems like the older it gets the more people love it.

I hope the locals rally around the ride like they do with Sooperdooperlooper at Hershey. Sooperdooperlooper seems to have seen an incredible surge in popularity lately between the queue times and incredible amount of merchandise sales for the ride. It seems like the older it gets the more people love it.

It also has a 42" height requirement and is more often than not a kids first looping roller coaster. I believe that helps lead to the lines and merchandise. I doubt SFMM will reduce the 48" height requirement on Revolution. Still think this is a great fix up though, can't believe they're really doing it!

Gotta say though they dropped the ball with the name. The Next Revolution would have been awesome name....

It could be worse, it could have been named after a can of soda and be called the Red Bull Revolution for the next twenty years. I'd forgotten just how many rides Blackpool had named after drinks at once in the early 2000's

Edited by Garet

It also has a 42" height requirement and is more often than not a kids first looping roller coaster. I believe that helps lead to the lines and merchandise. I doubt SFMM will reduce the 48" height requirement on Revolution. Still think this is a great fix up though, can't believe they're really doing it!

You're right, New Revolution will have a minimum height requirement of 48", same as it with the OTSR.

I do think that this is the second best announcement of today (With Joker being the best).

Finally.

If I had a nickle for every time some negative nancy insisted "it would never happen." Like someone else said, I never gave up on the hope. Stranger things have happened.

Too bad it's not getting the retro Gerstlauer/Schwarzkopf train like sooperdooperLooper, but that is a minor complaint. Pigs are flying, hell froze over and I have a reason to return to Magic Mountain!

Edited by AirMBTB