TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

How busy is the park usually during Fright Fest? I'm only interested in the rides, not any of the mazes. I'm considering going either the weekend of October 3 or October 24. Seems like it would probably get busier closer to Halloween, but I'm wondering just how busy. I expect the park will be even more full of annoying teenagers but hopefully they go more for the mazes than the rides. I need to get my first rides on TC. It's a shame that I live as close as I do and I haven't been yet.
Go early in the month and early in the day to avoid crowds during Fright Fest.

I recently hit the park on a Sunday and boy was I surprised how many rides you can get in just as it opens. (I didn't even get there in time to use my Discover card early entry) 10:30-12 I got on 5 rides (unfortunately X2 broke down, lol) If you throw in the SRL I'm sure you can hit 2/3 of the park in ~4 hours (NTM Flash Pass) and beat the crowds I don't go to parks to wait in line, bye!

Excited about the new meal plan, jeeez it's almost $20 for a meal at Panda Express

Anybody go today? How was it?

I am going tomorrow. Anybody else?

just got home. it was dead. we didn't ride, batman, apocalypse, superman, and viper. the rest were walk ons. often running partial empty trains.

parking lot was as other have said this week. full first section and the part in front of the picnic area. that's with HH.

it was hot, but surprisingly manageable. actually did back to back roaring rapids. i haven't even ridden it in years. lol oh, jet stream mid afternoon was the longest line i saw. over the bridge and down to the entrance. good day

Anybody go today? How was it?

I am going tomorrow. Anybody else?

just got home. it was dead. we didn't ride, batman, apocalypse, superman, and viper. the rest were walk ons. often running partial empty trains.

parking lot was as other have said this week. full first section and the part in front of the picnic area. that's with HH.

it was hot, but surprisingly manageable. actually did back to back roaring rapids. i haven't even ridden it in years. lol oh, jet stream mid afternoon was the longest line i saw. over the bridge and down to the entrance. good day

Thanks for the update. I am hoping for the same tomorrow. If anybody is going tomorrow, would love to say hi to a fellow enthusiast. I am actually going to get in an hour early for the Honda ERT. Looking forward to a hopefully deserted park!

Fridays and Sundays early on in the season are usually pretty manageable.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I'll be going the first weekend of October then. I kinda figured that would probably be the case.

Fridays and Sundays early on in the season are usually pretty manageable.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I'll be going the first weekend of October then. I kinda figured that would probably be the case.

If you go on Friday, and get there when they open, you can knock out a lot of rides. I did this last year, and it was empty until about 2:00. I was able to do multiple rides on the same coaster, plenty of times.

For anyone going today, it's going to be really, really hot. Temps will likely push the 110 mark. Be prepared.

110? the highest i can find on a forecast is 102. it hit 104 yesterday when i was there. surprisingly, it didn't feel that bad at all. felt worse the previous days where i live in cerritos with the humidity. the good thing, no lines. so i'm sure that made a massive difference.

For anyone going today, it's going to be really, really hot. Temps will likely push the 110 mark. Be prepared.

110? the highest i can find on a forecast is 102. it hit 104 yesterday when i was there. surprisingly, it didn't feel that bad at all. felt worse the previous days where i live in cerritos with the humidity. the good thing, no lines. so i'm sure that made a massive difference.

It always feels about 10 degrees hotter out on the blacktop at SFMM than it would just generally around Valencia/Santa Clarita, I'm sure that's what he meant. I show 102 as the currently forecasted official high for the city, but I wouldn't doubt it feels like 110 walking around the park. I know when I go there and it says 89 it usually feels like 100.

OH NO!!!! I had the bright idea of going to the park oct 12-13th but after reading I realize it is no longer a year around park with daily operations! Luckly, I see the park is open the 12th for Columbus day . . .so, is there anything else in the area to do on the 13th or should I just fly back home?

I would definitely check out Knott's on the 13th. The park will be completely dead and there are plenty of great rides, even with the Ghostrider closure.

Agreed. Make your own little West Coast Bash. Knott's is fantastic, in contrast to SFMM it's a lot more than just the coasters, it's a very nice park. That said though, Xcelerator, Silver Bullet, and Montezooma's Revenge are all amazing. Don't forget to eat at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner and have some boysenberry pie.

I'm gonna be at knotts on the 11 lol lol. I just went ahead and booked the flight to come back home that Monday night after SFMM since it closes at 6. Gonna wake up super early, probably catch a shuttle from the knotts area to LAX Monday morning, get a rental and get to the park before opening so I can have a head start! It shouldn't be that busy right? I know last year the DLR was SWAMPED Columbus Monday . . .

Thanks guys for all the help.

The mystery of the green train, I can't wait to see what it looks like

I'm not psychic or anything, but I bet it is probably going to look like the other TC trains... But green. Just a random guess though.

None of the TC trains are one solid color, it will be interesting to see if it's green and purple, green and blue, or green and orange.

I assume it'll just be a variation of blue and green, much like the orange and purple trains are opposites of each other.

Weather forecasts for Valencia are rarely accurate. Case in point, today.

The forecasts I knew of all said it was going to be warmer today than yesterday, and it was. It was 107 when I was driving through Sylmar heading home from the office at about 5pm. The SCV is almost always warmer than Sylmar, especially where SFMM is, it was very likely pushing 110 as I said it likely would. But who really cares? 104, 107, 110, whatever. The point is, it was HOT. It'll be HOT again tomorrow. So I hope folks are prepared for that.

Hopefully it'll cool off before WCB in a couple of weeks but don't expect a huge cool down. Our hot temps usually extend clear through September, yet people are almost always surprised when that happens.

I recently had a blood test and fainted (even though I looked away when they were doing it) and was wondering if this would be any cause for concern for a really intense ride like Goliath or Tatsu. (I’ve never been to Magic Mountain and have always wanted to go.) Thanks.

I recently had a blood test and fainted (even though I looked away when they were doing it) and was wondering if this would be any cause for concern for a really intense ride like Goliath or Tatsu. (I’ve never been to Magic Mountain and have always wanted to go.) Thanks.

I recently pooped, yet I still eat food.

No, you're totally fine. Unless you have a condition (or think you might--in which case you should talk to your doctor), it's really nothing to worry about. If you are unsure again I would check with your doctor to be safe if it's a common occurrence, though it doesn't sound like it from your description.

^i305's turn goes very quickly compared to Goliath's very long helix.

If I were you I might avoid Goliath, the helix might cause problems if you have circulation issues. It (Goliath) did a number on me Sunday and I may have to avoid rides for a while. Tatsu's pretzel loop can be very intense as well. But none of us are doctors, so I'd talk to yours before going. Hope this helped!

^Maybe it's just me, but I've never greyed out on Goliath...even opening year when the MCBR didn't bring the train to a complete stop. I greyed out all 7 times I rode i305, then again it was in the 90's and humid the day I rode i305...so could've been a factor as well.

^Maybe it's just me, but I've never greyed out on Goliath...even opening year when the MCBR didn't bring the train to a complete stop. I greyed out all 7 times I rode i305, then again it was in the 90's and humid the day I rode i305...so could've been a factor as well.

I'm totally with you on i305! I greyed/near blacked out more so than any Goliath ride, I meant the extended amount of time Goliath is putting forces on you (compared to a massive amount for 2 seconds) might be an issue.

Even if you weren't looking, just the thought of them taking blood can make people faint. I wouldn't worry at all. If it was something to worry about they would have advised against strenuous exercise etc. Just make sure you're well hydrated and well fed before going on coasters (which is best practice anyway)

I recently pooped, yet I still eat food.

Very impressive!!!