TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hi! New here. I'm going this Friday and Saturday (28th and 29th). What kinds of crowds should I expect? Will a flashpass be necessary? I haven't been to SFMM in eight years. Whenever I'd go, I'd get there at opening and head straight for X. I'm really excited about the new rides they've built since I've been there. Which one should I head to first?

Hey guys! I'll be visiting SFMM next month and I'm curious about how busy the parks are during September weekends?

I visited in August last year and it was a lot busier than what I'm used to seeing when I normally visit in October.

Thanks!

was at the park today, every ride was a walk on. It was heaven. 1.5 parking areas were filled. The last time I saw 1.5 filled, it was busier, so I guess today each car had fewer people. I saw a lot of kids so I guess lots of parents pull out their kids from the first week of school.

was at the park today, every ride was a walk on. It was heaven. 1.5 parking areas were filled. The last time I saw 1.5 filled, it was busier, so I guess today each car had fewer people. I saw a lot of kids so I guess lots of parents pull out their kids from the first week of school.

I was at the park again today and just remember that Hurricane Harbor cars are in that fold so perhaps 1/3 of the cars were at HH. And yes SFMM was empty and light rain/sprinkles/drops fell around 11:30 but only last about 30 minutes and didn't really get ground wet.

Also took a drive out the mountain today as I suspected it would be quiet. Every ride we went on was a walk-on with several rides dispatching trains half empty. I had no idea it would be this quiet.

TC had all three trains running with no line whatsoever, so we got a bunch of rides in. The dueling was hit or miss for the usual reasons: guests faffing around. We rode in the back the most, but my friend wanted to try the front seat. Two guys who had to do the walk of shame from other parts of the train were moved to the seat behind us (second seat on the train) and several of the staff spent a few minutes stapling them both in. I don’t usually rate the front of that ride too highly, and I don’t know if the extra weight caused it, but the train flew through the bottom of the first drop, hitting the second hill much faster than what I remember from past front seat rides. Anyhow, the staff were as great as ever and the ride was its usual fun self. With that said, TC still isn’t my favorite ride in the park, but I look forward to checking out some other RMCs in the future.

Full Throttle had a 2-train wait from about 1pm onwards. Tatsu took about 10 mins to board. Apocalypse was only running one train, and they had a small crowd penned off in the switchbacks (I assume the inner building was too muggy as the weather was gross today). Also rode Goliath again for the first time since it reopened. As fun as ever, but that first drop really is a snoozer now. The station was empty, so the staff just let us go through again a few times. Superman was running the left side all day (and could have used a hit of WD-40 as it was screeching pretty loudly). We skipped the whole X2, Viper, and Revolution corner of the park as neither one of us likes those rides very much.

Something was up with Scream, though. I’ve always preferred Scream to the park’s other B&Ms, but today it was terrible. They were only running one train, and ride was beyond rough — borderline jackhammering around much of the circuit. I’ve experienced a few rough spots here and there in the past, but we got off the ride today kind of shaken up. Some little kid on Twisted Colossus also said Scream was too rough for him today. I wonder if they have the regular trains in rehab and this one is some old junker they keep around as a backup? It really was atrocious and I’ll probably add it to the growing “skip it” list at SFMM.

Anyhow, a great day for riding the great coasters the park has. The staff were excellent as ever — especially the TC crew who always seem to be upbeat and especially friendly.

Here's a pic of the TC station from the front row:

153829703_TCStation.thumb.JPG.e5f64f7ac10ff7992c3a2236c74b78c4.JPG

TC Station on 8/25/15

today's visit continued. ... rode goliath 6 times without having to get back on line. rode lex 35 times in a row. rode tc 4 times. rode phul thrahhtal 4 times. Then checked into knotts hotel. I visit knotts park tomorrow for the first time in my life.

i kind of don't understand why they didn't give passholders a free friend pass this week instead of last week. i know other six flags parks are getting theirs this week. seems like it would make more sense to try to fill more of the park up. or maybe staff gets cut down, so it's better last week for them.

i kind of don't understand why they didn't give passholders a free friend pass this week instead of last week. i know other six flags parks are getting theirs this week. seems like it would make more sense to try to fill more of the park up. or maybe staff gets cut down, so it's better last week for them.

My guess is that they knew this week would be dead and wanted to at least try and bring in some money? We used the $35 friend deal today, but free would have certainly been better.

Anyone have experience with the Lost and Found? My keys flew out of my pocket during Tatsu's pretzel loop. Think I have any chance of getting them back?

I got them back! Kinda surprised I only had to wait a half hour after the park closed.

I highly recommend this money belt. i put my car key in it. It's like a very thin fanny pack that goes under your clothes so nobody knows you are wearing it...

money belt image

Just search for "money belt" on ebay

Edited by mike932

I have a question for all you regulars -

Tidal Wave is down. I was only there on a day trip while visiting my grandpa in the area (and I had a ride to SFMM). What I'm wondering - does anyone know if it's down for some kind of maintenance issue? I was thinking perhaps it was due to drought issues since it looked bone dry from Riddler's, but then again HH is open. Any insight?

Anyone have experience with the Lost and Found? My keys flew out of my pocket during Tatsu's pretzel loop. Think I have any chance of getting them back?

I got them back! Kinda surprised I only had to wait a half hour after the park closed.

I highly recommend this money belt. i put my car key in it. It's like a very thin fanny pack that goes under your clothes so nobody knows you are wearing it...

money belt image

a flip belt works pretty good as well. https://flipbelt.com/

i can't fit my iphone 6 plus comfortably in it anymore though.

I know this may be too soon, but don't go into a restricted ride area to get them back

(By the way I also know you got them back but I couldn't resist the opportunity lol )

My guess is that they knew this week would be dead and wanted to at least try and bring in some money? We used the $35 friend deal today, but free would have certainly been better.

Thats the point in offering the free friend day today, to get passholders to come to the park, bring their friends, and hopefully they'll buy concessions and upcharges.

That's very good to hear/know. If I'm running the park I'd like to put some kind of emphasis on prompt retrieval of items (at least important things like keys or phones as opposed to a hat or something). If guests know it's relatively easy to get them back, they might be less inclined to risk their life to get them on their own. (Not at the expense of more important things, and not that the park should have to - but as a general rule any time less people die, that's better, and it's easier than attempting to cure stupid.)

Carabiner attached to your belt loop. Keys won't go anywhere

I learned after losing my phone at Great Adventure...

Keys: twist the key chain around your belt loop so its attached

Phone: in the car lol

Actually if you want to bring your phone in but think it might fly out, I used to do a similar thing at SFDK (due to S:UF) when I had a small iphone. I had a small neoprene type fabric pouch that I zipped the phone into and I put a chain of key rings from the zipper of the pouch to my belt loop. Works kind of like a biker's wallet chain - if it comes out, it just dangles. I never actually had it come out though, and now that I have a larger phone I'm not even worried about it coming out.

money belt image

a flip belt works pretty good as well. https://flipbelt.com/

i can't fit my iphone 6 plus comfortably in it anymore though.

http://www.spibelt.com/products/specialty-spibelt/spibelt-performance-series

iPhone6 plus problem solved. Use these every park visit. The one I have has two slots for things and they expand to the size of your phone/keys etc and contract when not used.

I know this may be too soon, but don't go into a restricted ride area to get them back

(By the way I also know you got them back but I couldn't resist the opportunity lol )

Having been on Tatsu a few times, i don't think anyone shoudr stand remotely near the bottom of that pretzel loop.

According to Screamscape, one of Roar's trains is coming to Six Flags Magic Mountain for Apocalypse! Yay!!!! Maybe they won't have single train operations for much longer. Then again, Ninja has been running one train since Spring Break.

given how much flak the ride gets, i doubt roar's trains will be much better on it.