TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Anybody doing both SFMM and Knotts WCB have any hotel recommendations? Price is not as important an option as safety, convenience, and noise level.

TIA,

For KBF, the KBF hotel is obviously the most convenient and if you get a high floor noise level is sure to be low. Near SFMM my favorite is the Hilton Garden Inn because it's the closest and pretty nice, but a few blocks away are a couple others including a Courtyard that I've stayed at before that were just as nice.

If the fire could burn down Apocalypse, that'd be nice.

I think what's sort of ironic about this comment is that this is what people used to say about Psyclone. And then when they re-built Terminator in Psyclone's spot everyone was like "Oh, thank god!!!!!" and now it sounds like that ride has just turned into Psyclone II?

I think what's sort of ironic about this comment is that this is what people used to say about Psyclone. And then when they re-built Terminator in Psyclone's spot everyone was like "Oh, thank god!!!!!" and now it sounds like that ride has just turned into Psyclone II?

Quite honestly I think Apocalypse's roughness is being over exaggerated. I've been on Ghostrider, Roar (west), Mean Streak, Blue Streak, and the Old Colossus and I don't even think Apocalypse was even close to being as bad when I rode it three weeks ago. Sure it is bouncy, but that's the nature of the ride. Apocalypse is the smoothest wooden coaster I've ever been on, but I know there are a lot better. I also know that this ride is still a great wooden coaster and definitely is not as bad as people exaggerate it to be.

I don't find Apocalypse rough or painful, but it has gotten awfully shaky, almost like a wooden coaster twice it's age.

It's startling, because just two years ago it ran like butter. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I hope it's fixed on the off season. When it's running well, the ride is a joy.

That land over there must be ancient Indian burial ground... That's also why Deju Vu was removed...

I think Apocalypse is just as rough as Psyclone was, only difference is Psyclone was braked to death so it had no redeeming qualities. Apocalypse is still wild and fun, so I don't think it's quite Psyclone status yet. We'll see in a few years though

^It's a different kind of rough, a rough you don't expect on a relatively new decent when it opened wooden coaster. KT hated it when we rode it last year, I won't be riding it again for any reason. It looks terrible back there, like they've given up completely on trying to keep it in shape.

^^^^your right, very different kind of rough. Apocalypse has this kind of flat tire feel and it's always there. Where psyclone would be smooth a bit, then slam you with a hard lateral jerk (thanks northridge quake).

I think the problem with Apocalypse is a combination of them using wood that has no business in the arid climate of the SCV along with the park doing virtually no retracking... They literally water the entire ride every morning before the park opens to help the wood (which it clearly hasn't much).

It definitely isn't the roughest coaster ever, Mean Streak and Ghost Rider are both worse to me. I haven't ridden Hades 360 but from what I've seen it's a lot worse. Apocalypse is just rough enough so that you get no real joy out of it...it's not a fantastic layout. It was mediocre to begin with. At least Ghost Rider, though rougher, is a better layout so there's that redeeming quality.

I love Apocalypse's layout! I love the first half

Of the ride especially. I don't think it's rough at all and I can marathon it as well. But then again I didn't think Ghostrider was rough either. Mean Streak was rough but not as bad as everyone says it is. The ones I hated the most were Wild One at SFA and Blue Streak. Blue Streak made me feel terrible and I felt like I had just been jack hammered to death.

Anyone know why Tidal Wave says closed on the six flags app? Going to the park today. Update later.

I don't know why. However they usually close it immediately after summer opperations close (which would be next monday) so my guess is that they wont bother fixing it for it to be up for 3 days.

I'll be at the park today too. I expect no crowds since school is back in session.

If anyone wants to meet up with a fellow enthusiast I'll be wearing a solid blue shirt and black plaid shorts.