TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I went to the park yesterday for my birthday and rode everything except Batman (I've been on enough time to know I'm not missing much )

Despite having a Batman clone nearby at Great Adventure, I thought when we visited a few years ago (pre yolocoaster and tc) that besides Tatsu, Apocalypse (which I hear is running like crap now) and maybe Ninja, Batman was the best ride in the park. To each his own I guess.

Ninja? I'm assuming we have a very different taste in rides? I've only ridden a few suspended coasters in my live and the only one I seemed to enjoy much was Deja Vu (Aside from the horrible downtime )

Weird that people would find Batman painful. I always remember it as one of the smoothest most comfortable rides in the park, as any non-standup B&M usually is in most parks.

Hey Ninja is a great ride; it's not the fastest or most thrilling but I still find it fun as suspended coasters are pretty rare and Ninja is probably the best of them. I haven't ridden since the phytocide, however. Ill have to see at WCB if the lack of canopy hurts it...the shade and the terrain are definitely part of its charm.

Looks like I'll be able to get to this park this season. I look forward to comparing the coasters to Cedar Point and the rest of my relatively small Amusement park lineup list.

I'm just assuming it's going to be slammed at the beginning of October?

if you go on one of the fright fest fridays, during the day it shouldn't be crowded.

October 8th is the date I'm looking at. So it's definitely a Friday. I haven't looked into it much, except to see that the park was open.

Or if I'm broke from Vegas, I'll be heading to Knotts Berry Farm since I have a Platinum pass. Hopefully that isn't the case though, as I need some Twisted Colossus.

I kind of understand the "batman is rough" argument. The corkscrews are fairly sharp with their direction change, so your body gets pulled very rapidly to the side, which can cause a head bang. The spot on the ride that always gets me is coming out of the final turn into the brakes. The track goes from banked to flat very abruptly, and it always gives me a bit of a jolt.

October 8th is the date I'm looking at. So it's definitely a Friday. I haven't looked into it much, except to see that the park was open.

Or if I'm broke from Vegas, I'll be heading to Knotts Berry Farm since I have a Platinum pass. Hopefully that isn't the case though, as I need some Twisted Colossus.

That early in the month it shouldn't be too bad on a Friday. Fright Fest days tend to have a more dramatic shift from light to heavy crowds too, lighter in the morning than usual and heavier in the afternoon than usual.

I personally like the Batman clones, as they are some of the more forceful B&M inverts. Sometimes you have to trade in some roughness for force, especially on a coaster with OTSRs. Great Bear is probably the smoothest invert I have been on but at the same time you're trading in a lot of force for that.

I don't think I've ever ridden a coaster smoother than a Batman clone. With very few exceptions, every B&M invert I've ridden is butter smooth. The only ones that throw me around / rattle at all are Raptor (actually my favorite invert), Alpengeist and Banshee near the back of the train. Those coasters aren't rough at all and they're all excellent but they're not quite as smooth as the others.

I guess everyone is different but to me, basically every B&M invert is ridiculously smooth.

I don't think I've ever ridden a coaster smoother than a Batman clone. With very few exceptions, every B&M invert I've ridden is butter smooth. The only ones that throw me around / rattle at all are Raptor (actually my favorite invert), Alpengeist and Banshee near the back of the train. Those coasters aren't rough at all and they're all excellent but they're not quite as smooth as the others.

I guess everyone is different but to me, basically every B&M invert is ridiculously smooth.

Goliath (the Batman clone) at SFFT is not smooth, it's very rattly. Sitting in oceanwater SBNO for years isn't good for a coaster. However, I agree that it's still smoother than most coasters out there.

It was moved to SFFT in 2007, at any rate. Either way it has a very distinctive rattle to it.

The rattliness may have also come from being moved twice, as it also spent some time in some Japanese park.

I rode it on Friday, I did not think it had a rattle at all. That said, I really only ride B&M Inverts in the front row.

The only Batman clone I've tried is the Gadv one so I'm going off of that. It's a little rattly, but it's actually pretty smooth for a 22 year old coaster. The loops are forceful, the Zero-g rolls have this jerk to them, that first banked turn after the second loop is insane in the back, it's all just so crazy and out of B&M's character today. The wingovers do give you a little headbanging but that's because Stengel designed the older B&M inverts' wingovers to have lots of tension in the roll transitions so it banks really snappy and quick. I imagine it was a bit smoother in its prime, but in conclusion the Batman clones pack a punch for their size

It was moved to SFFT in 2007, at any rate. Either way it has a very distinctive rattle to it.

The rattliness may have also come from being moved twice, as it also spent some time in some Japanese park.

I rode it on Friday, I did not think it had a rattle at all. That said, I really only ride B&M Inverts in the front row.

You get some serious whip action if you ride in the back of CGA's Flight Deck. Totally worth it.

I have a ticket/pass question...

does anyone know if, when upgrading a daily ticket at the park to a gold pass, will they let you do monthly payments/membership for the balance due?

And, a more specific question, has anyone upgraded their West Coast Bash ticket to a gold pass in the past, and if so do you recall how much credit you got for the West Coast Bash ticket?

Thanks.

Did you ride on the edge? I find the edge to be rattlier most of the time (although SKC has more of a rattle)

does anyone know if, when upgrading a daily ticket at the park to a gold pass, will they let you do monthly payments/membership for the balance due?

And, a more specific question, has anyone upgraded their West Coast Bash ticket to a gold pass in the past, and if so do you recall how much credit you got for the West Coast Bash ticket?

Thanks.

They won't let you do a membership, Six flags requires you to sign up online for that.

Thanks.

They won't let you do a membership, Six flags requires you to sign up online for that.

So is that to say they won't do monthly payments? Did that only last a few years and get completely replaced with memberships?

Monthly payments never existed outside of memberships.

Actually they did have an "easy payment" option you could use on the website to pay for your season pass in 12 monthly installments. I used to use it before I got my membership and Cedar Fair still does it as I did that this year to purchase my Gold Pass at CGA.

It was typically only available during the early part of the season and then it would cease to be available until the next season. I think they may have gotten rid of that permanently once they started doing memberships.

Thanks.

i bet whatever you do it might be cheapest to wait until labor day and buy a membership when they usually have their sales. most often it's cheapest then and i believe will beat any credit you get from a normal ticket.

With the all but announced Dive Machine going to Cedar Point for 2016, could SFMM go with a Dive Machine for their 20th Coaster? I know it could be "similar" to Superman, but yet still unlike anything on the West Coast. Of all the speculation I have had for their 20th I never really gave a Dive Machine thought until now.