TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^^^ As far as your Con list, I don't agree with number one at all, with the possible exception being Viper. But even then I think that would have been a weak possibility. You are correct with number 2. And as for number 5, I think most people would add that to the Pro list. It simply would fit better, and make much more sense at a lot of different parks in the CF chain (and even the SF chain at that).

I thought SF never really wanted to sell MM? I seem to remember someone in corporate publicly commenting that MM was listed for sale simply because the chain feared no one would be interested in buying the other smaller parks by themselves. Regardless, despite it's flaws, I really enjoy the park in its current iteration.

They wanted to find the true value of the asset they held. That way they can tell potential lenders "We have an offer from...for this much...give us money so we can grow the value!"

I bought my pass during the Labor Day flash sale. I just received an email that my membership price is going up to $7 and some change/month from $6.85.

I feared this would happen...

I bought my Membership during last year's Labor Day sale, too, and am currently paying $5.85/mo for Gold level privileges. In reading the fine print of the Membership agreement, I wondered if the park might exercise its right to raise that price at the beginning of my second year, and I guess the email you received confirms that.

While I admit $6 is ridiculously cheap and empathize with the park for wanting more from me, the following line from Six Flags' website--taken from the Membership FAQ page--feels misleading in the face of perpetual price increases.

"Memberships let you keep receiving special offers or discounts forever. When you buy a Season Pass that includes free parking or a free upgrade to Gold, you only retain that free upgrade for one season. With a Membership, you get to keep the benefits of the free upgrade as long as you keep your Membership. A Membership purchased with free parking will always have free parking."

While I concede the literal benefits of my pass (e.g. water park access) will presumably stay the same, doesn't the "special offer" / "discount" change if the park begins charging me more for the same benefits? To me, the above line almost suggests you'll pay the same price for your membership "forever." I understand that's not actually the case when you read the fine print; however, when you sign up for cable, the cable company makes it very clear that the price you're receiving is (typically) a one year promotional price and that normal rates will go into effect after the year is over. If a Six Flags Membership operates much the same way, I feel like the parks need to make its long-term pricing clearer.

Will Memberships always be charged the current going rate for the park in question's base pass at the time of their 12 month renewal (including free parking, water park access, and the like where applicable)? Will prices go up only once per year, or could they be raised more frequently?

I'll be curious to see if / when I receive an email and how much I'll be asked to pay.

I'll be curious to see if / when I receive an email and how much I'll be asked to pay.

i got my email on july 15th. it stated for me that it would go up 25 cents each per month. i pay for two passes. and i was paying $5.85 just like you.

831500389_ScreenShot2015-08-04at12_39_34AM.thumb.png.88276c3f003b66bd7659426a8c8179d2.png

Hello all,

Going to MM for the first time this Monday. Can someone please tell me a strategy in order to get on all of the coasters (except for the kiddie coasters i.e. Speedy Gonzales)? Also, do they have bins at the coasters or will I need to rent a locker? Thanks!

I'm going today at park opening. Is there a particular order that I should go in or a specific ride plan that I should go with in order to get as much rides as possible?

Wear good running shoes. Run the half mile to twisted colossus. Then work your way back

I thought SF never really wanted to sell MM? I seem to remember someone in corporate publicly commenting that MM was listed for sale simply because the chain feared no one would be interested in buying the other smaller parks by themselves.

Whatever the reason, they won't sell now that their stock is rising.....

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=SIX+Interactive#{"range":"max","allowChartStacking":true}

Also, do they have bins at the coasters or will I need to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo? Thanks!

You absolutely must pay for a storage unit at X2, and usually at Tatsu (even though there are cubbies built into the station). Paid storage exists at Scream and Riddler's, but as far as I know, they aren't mandatory anymore.

The last Friday before they go to weekend-only operation is the deadest day of the year.

Good to know. I would had thought that Tuesday and Wednesday of that week will be less busy than Friday.

Are we talking so dead that TC will be a walk-on all day?

We're talking so dead that you can walk on to every ride in the park including TC, X2, and YOLO all day from opening to closing as many times as you want. Buried somewhere in this thread from several years back is a photo TR from that day showing all the midways just completely empty.

Also, do they have bins at the coasters or will I need to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo? Thanks!

You absolutely must pay for a storage unit at X2, and usually at Tatsu (even though there are cubbies built into the station). Paid storage exists at Scream and Riddler's, but as far as I know, they aren't mandatory anymore.

x2 was the only ride that required people to pay for storage when i went last week

Edited by mike932

The last Friday before they go to weekend-only operation is the deadest day of the year.

Good to know. I would had thought that Tuesday and Wednesday of that week will be less busy than Friday.

We're talking so dead that you can walk on to every ride in the park including TC, X2, and YOLO all day from opening to closing as many times as you want. Buried somewhere in this thread from several years back is a photo TR from that day showing all the midways just completely empty.

It is also a Honda ERT early entry day, with TC and Scream as the coasters. I will be there!

It is also a Honda ERT early entry day, with TC and Scream as the coasters. I will be there!

oh how i miss those years long ago when they kept daily operation thru september. usually, only half to two thirds at the very most of the first section of parking lot was used. more people at costco at any given time.

I'm going today at park opening. Is there a particular order that I should go in or a specific ride plan that I should go with in order to get as much rides as possible?

While TC seems to be the likely answer as first coaster, from my experience (and from other people's posts) it seems that TC has not been opening immediately with the park, with delays anywhere from 20 minutes to 2+ hours before it opened. My recommendation (if you're there at opening) is to either go straight to X2 and then on to Tatsu, or Full Throttle and then to TC (and hope that it's open).

With any luck, everything will at least operational...unlike this past weekend. #shade

Looks like I'll be able to get to this park this season. I look forward to comparing the coasters to Cedar Point and the rest of my relatively small Amusement park lineup list.

I'm just assuming it's going to be slammed at the beginning of October?

Looks like I'll be able to get to this park this season. I look forward to comparing the coasters to Cedar Point and the rest of my relatively small Amusement park lineup list.

I'm just assuming it's going to be slammed at the beginning of October?

if you go on one of the fright fest fridays, during the day it shouldn't be crowded.

oh how i miss those years long ago when they kept daily operation thru september. usually, only half to two thirds at the very most of the first section of parking lot was used. more people at costco at any given time.

That has to do with school calendars changing so much. Most local schools start in mid August now.

I went to the park yesterday for my birthday and rode everything except Batman (I've been on enough time to know I'm not missing much )

I rode TC twice and raced 2/2 on one and 1/2 on the other. I think the park staff in general is making major improvements or I'm just lucky. They seem a lot friendlier and willing interact. I got in line for FT at 8:59 and we were on the last train with guests and they let us ride three times in a row. My only complaint about the day is Tatsu was running one train, I was in the station alone for about 30 minutes and The Riddler still has super slow load times but I guess that's a lost cause at this point. Other than that the lines all moved pretty fast and I didn't see many employees just standing around socializing.

I went to the park yesterday for my birthday and rode everything except Batman (I've been on enough time to know I'm not missing much )

Despite having a Batman clone nearby at Great Adventure, I thought when we visited a few years ago (pre yolocoaster and tc) that besides Tatsu, Apocalypse (which I hear is running like crap now) and maybe Ninja, Batman was the best ride in the park. To each his own I guess.

My only complaint about the day is Tatsu was running one train, I was in the station alone for about 30 minutes and The Riddler still has super slow load times but I guess that's a lost cause at this point. Other than that the lines all moved pretty fast and I didn't see many employees just standing around socializing.

Sometimes, it seems like the park WANTS Tatsu's line to be an hour long at all times. Maybe just for the sake of crowd control.

Despite having a Batman clone nearby at Great Adventure, I thought when we visited a few years ago (pre yolocoaster and tc) that besides Tatsu, Apocalypse (which I hear is running like crap now) and maybe Ninja, Batman was the best ride in the park. To each his own I guess.

Really? Because the only time I've bothered with SFMM's version was at WCB last year and it hurt like the dickens.

I, personally, find Batman to be a very good ride, and is one of the better coasters at SFMM. It can run like a bat out of hell in hot weather, so at least it gives some reason to visit SFMM on those unreasonably hot days, when you suffer from extreme dehydration and intense drowsiness...