TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I got an email from Magic Mountain to fill out an online survey. I did so and suggested that their park officers read this TPR forum everyday if they really want to improve the park. The people who contribute to this thread are very smart and know exactly what needs to be improved. I doubt the park officers will take my advice and bother to read this thread.

They already do and they don't care.

And why should they? The park is doing just fine in the shitty condition it's in. There is absolutely no incentive to do anything differently. Zero.

People like to pick on SFMM here on TPR. I've never had a bad time in all my visits though. There's no vomit or trash on the walkways. The ops could be better, but they're not horrible. But thr reason my son and I go to, and love SFMM, is the thrills. No other park in the West has the selection of thrill rides that SFMM does. And that will keep us coming back. Don't let the hyperbole get to you.

I agree with this. While the operations and cleanliness do leave a lot to be desired, it's not terrible. There are enough rides to space out the people and the lines never get too bad during the week. The pathways always seem to be clean and the ops get people through the rides. Given there are many parks with far better tidiness and operations, SFMM is the best park on the west coast for roller coasters, so you have to take that into consideration at some point.

In the rant of complaining you included 'hot'? Because no East coast or Midwest parks are hotter than hell with 95% humidity a majority of their operating schedule each Summer?...while most of us on the West coast have a love/hate relationship with SFMM from one time or another, the park is exactly what it advertises...thrills...please stop going or complaining herein for the lack of flats, theming, or ambiance as that is not going to change...if someone is looking for a day of those features in a park, we have other choices in SoCal...its not a one park area...just like Orlando is not...I enjoy TRs and insightful posts on Ride Ops and service issues experienced or witnessed at the park...these are legitimate beefs and complaints of most...I'd love for them to address those issues...but there is a reason (I think) that Robb and TPR keep doing a WCB...people like SFMM for the thrills and rides...period...end of my own rant....

Hey you all. I know this is way off topic and I know I've asked this before but what day this week should I go back and ride the rides I missed? This will be my last time returning in a while. Any days that aren't packed this week?
Days other than Saturday. The last Friday before they go to weekend-only operation is the deadest day of the year.

Guys... Bad news... SFMM goofed again.

TWISTED COLOSSUS SINGLE RIDER LINE GONE... FOREVER!

Walked back to the single rider line today and found it stantioned off. Asked a ride op and they said "to maximize efficiency and minimize staffing" they have foregone with the single rider line indefinitely.

Along with the single rider line has gone assigned seating and the grouper position. Now, you get to choose whatever row you want. The station is still (sort of) regulated though, as the ride op at the control panel stops the flow of people through the turnstile when the station started to get a little crowded.

But, hey, on the plus side I got a double duel today for the first time in a few weeks! And it was dueling 75-80% of the time the whole time I was there!

The last Friday before they go to weekend-only operation is the deadest day of the year.

Good to know. I would had thought that Tuesday and Wednesday of that week will be less busy than Friday.

Are we talking so dead that TC will be a walk-on all day?

Edited by mike932

Take SFMM for what it is. It's a terrible park. We love to bitch about it because they deserve it. But it's also only $7/month for a Water Park, Twisted Colossus, and parking. Take it for what it is.

$7/month if you sign up at least 4 people, and the water park is not included. It is still cheaper than Disney, but I think most people would be willing to pay more if they got their crap together.

I bought my pass during the Labor Day flash sale. I just received an email that my membership price is going up to $7 and some change/month from $6.85.

They've backed themselves into the budget market in the minds of locals. Outside of shutting the park down for a MAJOR overhaul, so they could market the "new and improved, more upscale...blah blah blah" to justify higher prices, I just don't see it happening.

However, what investing into capacity and guest service CAN do is turn more locals into regular visitors from their normal once every couple of years visit (almost every large employer in So Cal offers cheap tickets) if they have a good experience during that visit. Otherwise the lines and generally "blah" service translates into "I'll come back in a few years when they have some new rides."

Walked back to the single rider line today and found it stantioned off. Asked a ride op and they said "to maximize efficiency and minimize staffing" they have foregone with the single rider line indefinitely.

Employees have a habit of giving incorrect information, so I would wait a few days to see if it is indeed closed consistently.

Along with the single rider line has gone assigned seating and the grouper position. Now, you get to choose whatever row you want. The station is still (sort of) regulated though, as the ride op at the control panel stops the flow of people through the turnstile when the station started to get a little crowded.

But, hey, on the plus side I got a double duel today for the first time in a few weeks! And it was dueling 75-80% of the time the whole time I was there!

Something told me the single rider line at TC wouldn't last too long. Oh well, I got good use of it while it was available lol

Glad I marathoned last Friday and got 10 rides in by noon. The plus side is I can wait for back row. In single rider line, I seemed to get rows 1-3 every time. The first drop is on the verge of lame, unless you are in the back.

Employees have a habit of giving incorrect information, so I would wait a few days to see if it is indeed closed consistently.

I know that this was the case yesterday as well.

I'm a season pass holder and I'm trying to find the promo code to get the $5 per person season pass holder discount on the Flash pass. Does anyone know where to find it?

Download the six flags app and connect your pass. The best was to see all the available discounts

This morning was one of the worst I've experienced at Magic Mountain. I really can't explain what the problem was. I'm just wondering if they didn't have enough maintenance guys to test the rides before opening at 10:30.

All of these rides were down at opening and for at least 1 hour:

1. Lex Luthor

2. Goliath

3. Twisted Colossus

4. Scream (opened 45 minutes late)

5. Batman

6. Apocalypse

7. Riddler's Revenge

8. YOLOcoaster (shut down many times during the day)

This is truly inexcusable! All the rides did open later during the day, but early morning is my time to get my rides before the GP gets in.

I was there Yesterday too. Awful morning. My friend and I did get on the first FT train of the day, but that was about the only positive. I don't think Apocalypse opened at all. The train was stuck at the top of the lift all day. TC took several hours to open, Goliath didn't open till at least 1PM. I got one ride on TC on Saturday night and one Sunday afternoon. Only two trains running and we didn't get a single duel. The train on the green hill would be 75% of the way up the hill when the second train would leave the station. Pity. It was an amazing ride though.

One fortunate event was that Lex opened up halfway through the day despite being advertised as closed on the website.

I'm a season pass holder and I'm trying to find the promo code to get the $5 per person season pass holder discount on the Flash pass. Does anyone know where to find it?

Download the six flags app and connect your pass. The best was to see all the available discounts

I have the app and it shows up under the list of discounts but on the checkout screen, the discount isn't applied.

Reading most of the posts on this forum make me wish CF would have bought the park those several years ago when it was for sale. I believe it would have been a far better park, and no I don't believe it would have gotten the Geagua Lake treatment, like others have said. Would it have 19, going on 20 coasters? No. But the entire park experience would be drastically more positive. Just my 2 cents.

I have the app and it shows up under the list of discounts but on the checkout screen, the discount isn't applied.

maybe you can only do it in person?

Reading most of the posts on this forum make me wish CF would have bought the park those several years ago when it was for sale. I believe it would have been a far better park, and no I don't believe it would have gotten the Geagua Lake treatment, like others have said. Would it have 19, going on 20 coasters? No. But the entire park experience would be drastically more positive. Just my 2 cents.

I see pros and cons to that scenario...

Pros:

1.Cleaned up park

2.Probably a new entrance by now

3.Attendance back up to the 3.5 million range

4.Better food options

5.Better ride operations

6.Landscaping

7.Probably a Giga coaster

Cons:

1.Probably removal of several coasters (X2, Viper, Superman)

2.Twisted Colossus, Yolo, Green Lantern, and Lex wouldnt exist

3.More expensive season passes

4.Removal of all DC theming

5.Scream (tho i hate it) sent to a smaller CF park

6.Major attractions only every 5 years or so

People like to pick on SFMM here on TPR. I've never had a bad time in all my visits though. There's no vomit or trash on the walkways. The ops could be better, but they're not horrible. But thr reason my son and I go to, and love SFMM, is the thrills. No other park in the West has the selection of thrill rides that SFMM does. And that will keep us coming back. Don't let the hyperbole get to you.

I agree with this. While the operations and cleanliness do leave a lot to be desired, it's not terrible. There are enough rides to space out the people and the lines never get too bad during the week. The pathways always seem to be clean and the ops get people through the rides. Given there are many parks with far better tidiness and operations, SFMM is the best park on the west coast for roller coasters, so you have to take that into consideration at some point.

I have to say, I am more in line with these guys, than some of the more vitriolic statements here. I've only been to SFMM twice, but I definitely enjoyed myself both times! Granted, the park's shortcomings were all quite evident both times, and Knott's was definitely the better all-around park when visiting both during that first West coast trip. However, when I returned to So-Cal a couple of years ago, it was SFMM and not Knott's (or Disneyland, even though my brother could have gotten me in there free since he worked for Disney at the time) that I chose to go to. Why? I really wanted to ride Tatsu, since it wasn't there last time. (I also hadn't ridden X the first time - was it shut down in 2005 for some reason?) Was it worth it? Totally! I don't regret making that choice at all! I loved Tatsu, and had a very enjoyable day. Now, when I go visit my brother again, I'll definitely return to SFMM, and likely not Knott's, since I haven't ridden either FT, or TC. That doesn't mean that I think SFMM is a better park than Knott's. It's not. I very much enjoyed Knott's and was impressed with it when I went. But if I'm going across the country, have limited time for visiting parks, and limited funds, I'm going to choose the place that maximizes my coaster thrills, and SFMM certainly excels at that! If my whole family is down there at some point, I'll definitely want to take the kids to Knott's instead of SFMM (or in addition to.)

Truthfully, if we're judging a park simply based on experience outside of coasters, the worst I've been to was SFGAdv back in 2003 when my wife and I visited. There was so much line jumping, thuggery, and intimidation throughout our visit there, my wife was genuinely uncomfortable. I was pleased to see that it was much improved when I returned a couple of years ago, however!

I guess I just accept that SFMM is what it is, and don't expect anything except fun coasters when I go there! If I experienced what the other day was described as, however, I would probably be singing a different tune though, I'm sure...

5.Scream (tho i hate it) sent to a smaller CF park

In spite of disliking every other Con you mentioned (and agreeing that they all are more than likely true), if this one happened, and that smaller park was MiA, I'd be all for it!

Cedar Fair isn't much better...

An upgrade over SF? Sure. But in many regards, they are just as bad as Six Flags.