TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Disney also budgets more for these things. If you nickel and dime everything you get.... Six Flags.

Agreed. I wish they would realize that giving a crap about your customers would lead to more business and revenue. There's a reason that Disney is incredibly crowded almost all year.

I'm not saying they should break the bank but obviously a larger maintenance budget would help whether that is for parts or staff or whatever. They have soooo many coasters I really hope they increase the maintenance budget to keep them in good condition.

i sometimes think that magic mountain could use an off season. i'd think that they would do complete maintenance on all the ride trains, clean up stations, pour concrete freshen up paint, etc. all the stuff other parks do.

they must really have a tight, tight budget to run the park. still, i'm sure they can get more out of all their employees.

instead of changing the fence covering around scream, i think they should have fixed up the HH fence and walkway first. just random thoughts of mine. lol

This morning was one of the worst I've experienced at Magic Mountain. I really can't explain what the problem was. I'm just wondering if they didn't have enough maintenance guys to test the rides before opening at 10:30.

All of these rides were down at opening and for at least 1 hour:

1. Lex Luthor

2. Goliath

3. Twisted Colossus

4. Scream (opened 45 minutes late)

5. Batman

6. Apocalypse

7. Riddler's Revenge

8. Full Throttle (shut down many times during the day)

This is truly inexcusable! All the rides did open later during the day, but early morning is my time to get my rides before the GP gets in.

This morning was one of the worst I've experienced at Magic Mountain. I really can't explain what the problem was. I'm just wondering if they didn't have enough maintenance guys to test the rides before opening at 10:30.

1. Lex Luthor

2. Goliath

3. Twisted Colossus

5. Batman

6. Apocalypse

7. Riddler's Revenge

8. YOLOcoaster (shut down many times during the day)

This is truly inexcusable! All the rides did open later during the day, but early morning is my time to get my rides before the GP gets in.

that's a bummer.

I'm probably going to get lambasted for this, but maybe the park should actually have an off season. Like close down completely from Nov to Mar and rehab the coasters, re-paint/re-pave pathways benches, bathrooms etc. The park is just exhausted from overuse, the ride breakdowns (with the exception of TC, that's a whole different apple) are a telltale sign.

Disney is open 365 days per year yet excels in ride maintenance and their parks are spotless because they do not accept anything less than excellence. Six Flags is closed about 140 days per year. They do not need more days off. They need better management and more staff.

Disneyland also isn't charging $7/month for their premium pass...you can't compare the two.

Take SFMM for what it is. It's a terrible park. We love to bitch about it because they deserve it. But it's also only $7/month for a Water Park, Twisted Colossus, and parking. Take it for what it is.

Take SFMM for what it is. It's a terrible park. We love to bitch about it because they deserve it. But it's also only $7/month for a Water Park, Twisted Colossus, and parking. Take it for what it is.

$7/month if you sign up at least 4 people, and the water park is not included. It is still cheaper than Disney, but I think most people would be willing to pay more if they got their crap together.

1. Lex Luthor

2. Goliath

3. Twisted Colossus

5. Batman

6. Apocalypse

7. Riddler's Revenge

8. YOLOcoaster (shut down many times during the day)

Because Six Flags parks are horrible...

GO CEDAR FAIR!

I'm probably going to get lambasted for this, but maybe the park should actually have an off season. Like close down completely from Nov to Mar and rehab the coasters, re-paint/re-pave pathways benches, bathrooms etc. The park is just exhausted from overuse, the ride breakdowns (with the exception of TC, that's a whole different apple) are a telltale sign.

Disney is open 365 days per year yet excels in ride maintenance and their parks are spotless because they do not accept anything less than excellence. Six Flags is closed about 140 days per year. They do not need more days off. They need better management and more staff.

Disneyland also isn't charging $7/month for their premium pass...you can't compare the two.

Easily the worst park in the country. And by quite a large margin.

I've never been to Magic Mountain, so I don't know what it's like, but from the sounds of it the midways are covered in vomit and trash, not a single ride has ever been painted, the rides are not properly inspected, there are fights/deaths on a semi-consistent basis, and not a single staff member enjoys their job in the least and nobody wants you to be there. And operations are worse than SFA, and TC never duels.

At least that's what I would imagine the worst park in the country "by a significant margin" to be. Unless you guys are exaggerating...

To be perfectly honest, in general I've heard that SFMM is not a very good park experience, but it is still enjoyable to the average guest.

Look at it this way--if Magic Mountain really was the "worst park in the country by a significant margin," why would almost 3 million people pay to visit the park every year? Coasters alone wouldn't do that if the park really was that bad, and you all know that.

I thought this was the SFMM thread and not the mt Olympus thread?

The more I read about SFMM the more uninspired I am to fly across the continent to go to this park and that's a shame because I really want to ride Twisted Colossus one day but I don't think one awesome coaster is going to justify the money spent and effort to go there. I would rather make the 5 and half hour car ride to Cedar Point

Look at it this way--if Magic Mountain really was the "worst park in the country by a significant margin," why would almost 3 million people pay to visit the park every year? Coasters alone wouldn't do that if the park really was that bad, and you all know that.

You vastly underestimate how much attendance a park that stays open year-round within driving distance of tens of millions can generate. Coasters alone can and will do that because that's all SFMM has. They have rides that can't be found at any of the other SoCal parks, plus the aforementioned cheap tickets. That's how they differentiate themselves from the competition in their market.

So that being the case, most people who come to the park show up, ride a few coasters, and call it a day. There's none of the familiar trimmings to a usual theme park day. It's a very different clientele and very different feel there than at just about any other theme park in the country, and there are very good reasons for that.

The more I read about SFMM the more uninspired I am to fly across the continent to go to this park and that's a shame because I really want to ride Twisted Colossus one day but I don't think one awesome coaster is going to justify the money spent and effort to go there. I would rather make the 5 and half hour car ride to Cedar Point

The coasters are awesome enough (when they run) to justify a trip to the park. Just expect your experience to be lousy when you are not riding a coaster. Kinda like visiting the pyramids of Giza. I have no desire to visit the rest of Egypt, but I want to visit the pyramids at least once in my life. Magic Mountain coasters are diamonds in the rough.

To justify your trip even more, visit Disneyland as well. And see the space shuttle Endeavor at the California Science Museum. And have an In-N-Out burger. And get some fish tacos at Rubio's. And go to Universal Studios.

Edited by mike932

Go to Knotts or Disney instead, or Cedar Point. Vastly superior parks that are worth your money. Or go to a WCB, where at least you get to be around some great people .

Otherwise, avoid SFMM at all costs. I'm not joking when I say this park has gone so downhill to the point that I can't get anyone to go to the park with me anymore. They just don't want to deal with abysmal operations anymore.

The park is filthy, hot, rude and rundown.

I got an email from Magic Mountain to fill out an online survey. I did so and suggested that their park officers read this TPR forum everyday if they really want to improve the park. The people who contribute to this thread are very smart and know exactly what needs to be improved. I doubt the park officers will take my advice and bother to read this thread.

Go to Knotts or Disney instead, or Cedar Point. Vastly superior parks that are worth your money. Or go to a WCB, where at least you get to be around some great people .

Otherwise, avoid SFMM at all costs. I'm not joking when I say this park has gone so downhill to the point that I can't get anyone to go to the park with me anymore. They just don't want to deal with abysmal operations anymore.

The park is filthy, hot, rude and rundown.

I was just thinking that a few minutes ago... Doing a WCB would be the best way to do a trip out there. All that lovely ERT would be a good way to counter all the other negative stuff I am sure I would encounter during the rest of my day(s) at the park

People like to pick on SFMM here on TPR. I've never had a bad time in all my visits though. There's no vomit or trash on the walkways. The ops could be better, but they're not horrible. But thr reason my son and I go to, and love SFMM, is the thrills. No other park in the West has the selection of thrill rides that SFMM does. And that will keep us coming back. Don't let the hyperbole get to you.

I got an email from Magic Mountain to fill out an online survey. I did so and suggested that their park officers read this TPR forum everyday if they really want to improve the park. The people who contribute to this thread are very smart and know exactly what needs to be improved. I doubt the park officers will take my advice and bother to read this thread.

They already do and they don't care.