TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Heading out to the park today at about 2 to avoid some of the heat and get some night rides! Hope everything goes smoothly and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I'm getting my buddy on Twisted Colossus for the first time so I'm looking forward to that!

Quick question...is there public transportation between the Knotts area and SFMM? I plan on flying into burbank on a sat night for HHN, taking the bus to the Knotts area for KSF and then im stuck lol. Not sure which airport i wanna fly into and out of at this point if I want to incorporate SFMM into my trip.

Last year I flew into bur and flew out of sna since I started with HHN and ended witht he DLR. Any assistance would help!

My honest opinion: Rent a car. Try Enterprise. There is one on Beach and Orangethorpe roughly 2 miles North of KBF, and they will come PICK YOU UP from where you are if you want them to. Are you a Costco Member? Even better. Reserve the car through there in advance and it's even less.

I've rented cars for a WEEK through Costco Enterprise, and it was $90. No joke.

Screw public transportation, save or spend a little more, and you can save a lot of time and heartache.

Yeah...with the flights looking cheaper flying into LAX i'm leaning towards getting the car for the entire trip and drive my way around. I gotta see if and how much parking is at the hilton universal city...if its too much im gonna just bus it from LAX to universal and the next day get the car at LAX.

Thanks guys for all the imput...

I know it's probably old news. But I just saw the season pass email and wanted to say. "YAY on the banning of selfie sticks"

yeah, i think it's awesome. i just wish they'd take a stronger stand on phones being used on rides.

I have a question for any of those who are familiar with the launch system on Full Throttle. From what I have previously thought, LSMs need initial momentum from the train before they can propel it. This is the case on coasters such as Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, Sky Rocket, Helix... Is this simply not true or is there something that is propeling the train into the LSMs on Full Throttle? I attached a picture with parts labeled. If I'm guessing correctly, 3 is the first set of LSMs but what is 1 and 2? I also know theres a kicker wheel further back but I'm guessing thats just to put the train into the station. If anyone has some knowledge they'd like to share it would be greatly appreciated!

lsm.thumb.jpg.71acf2c6cee029216677d8a9e8e7e8ee.jpg

I have a question for any of those who are familiar with the launch system on YOLOcoaster. From what I have previously thought, LSMs need initial momentum from the train before they can propel it. This is the case on coasters such as Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, Sky Rocket, Helix... Is this simply not true or is there something that is propeling the train into the LSMs on YOLOcoaster? I attached a picture with parts labeled. If I'm guessing correctly, 3 is the first set of LSMs but what is 1 and 2? I also know theres a kicker wheel further back but I'm guessing thats just to put the train into the station. If anyone has some knowledge they'd like to share it would be greatly appreciated!

[attachment=0]lsm.jpg[/attachment]

all i know is on full throttle it seems to hit instantly. there's doesn't seem to be that split second where you feel it just starting to go. at least for me, it feels this way because if i don't have my back just right on the seat, it bothers me from the initial jolt. it's the only launch coaster that does that to me. wether it be the seat or the launch system, i just need to be sitting correctly.

HI all. I'll be at the park on Sunday for a few hours. First visit since 2010 and so of course I got questions.

Are Sundays usually super busy right from opening or does it not get too bad until afternoon?

Can gold pass holders enter the park 15 minutes early? I remember that used to be one of the pass perks.

Also, how many coasters have single rider lines?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

HI all. I'll be at the park on Sunday for a few hours. First visit since 2010 and so of course I got questions.

Are Sundays usually super busy right from opening or does it not get too bad until afternoon?

Can gold pass holders enter the park 15 minutes early? I remember that used to be one of the pass perks.

Also, how many coasters have single rider lines?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Sundays arent too bad relative to Saturdays. X2 and TC are usually busy in the morning, but TC has Single Rider as does Lex Luthor, Riddler, Viper, Revolution, and Green Lantern. Gold Pass still gets you in early in the far right lane, but how early varies..sometimes they don't open up on time, and sometimes theres a line even for early entry.

I have a question for any of those who are familiar with the launch system on YOLOcoaster. From what I have previously thought, LSMs need initial momentum from the train before they can propel it. This is the case on coasters such as Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, Sky Rocket, Helix... Is this simply not true or is there something that is propeling the train into the LSMs on YOLOcoaster? I attached a picture with parts labeled. If I'm guessing correctly, 3 is the first set of LSMs but what is 1 and 2? I also know theres a kicker wheel further back but I'm guessing thats just to put the train into the station. If anyone has some knowledge they'd like to share it would be greatly appreciated!

[attachment=0]lsm.jpg[/attachment]

I don't believe trains need to be propelled into LSM's. I think most coasters with LSMs roll into their launches cause the system is capable of accelerating an already moving train and for whatever design purposes, companies go with this method either for efficiency of just because they can. lol The new rides Premier have been making like Superman Ultimate Flight at Discovery Kingdom and Tempesto at Busch Gardens rely solely on LSMs to move and launch.

Also if I'm not mistaken, 1 in that picture is the mechanism that unlocks and locks the trains and two looks like some sort of start to the LSM system.

LSM's and LIM's are almost the same, except that LSM's fire one after another instead of all at once. They don't need forward momentum to launch. Part #1 looks like it might be a pop up brake.

LSM's and LIM's are almost the same, except that LSM's fire one after another instead of all at once. They don't need forward momentum to launch. Part #1 looks like it might be a pop up brake.

Yeah I was gonna say 1 does look like a pop up brake and 2 just looks like a guide into the lsm.

1 is a friction brake pad similar to the brakes used on the Matterhorn. Sky Rocket uses the pad style friction brake as well. 2 is to make sure the reactor plate at the bottom of the train is aligned properly. Other coasters use a similar device as well.

lim.JPG.b3837aef8916d537fb5af693f651ac00.JPG

California Screamin'

lim2.JPG.928a2c66ded3a13fab8a42365df83f22.JPG

BTMR @ DLP

lim3.JPG.57638cc3db0bf2c4fc1bd1bc6c41c1c3.JPG

Speed: The Ride in Las Vegas (Defunct)

I went to Magic Mountain for the first time yesterday. I brought a seasons pass membership the night before and the dining plan. Once we were in the parking lot, we were greeted with a lot of cars. Can I just say I was not expecting this many people on a weekday? I think we parked in the F parking lot. Luckily for us, there was a bus that would take us to the front gate. Once we were at the front gate, we were having issues pulling up our season passes on our phones because we didn't have any signal. However, eventually I got it to work. Finally we were inside of the park! We opted out into getting flash pass. We walked straight to the flash pass building. We didn't know that you can only reserve one ride at a time. We were about to not get it but then an employee explain to us how it works. We decided to get the regular one. The employee gave us an instant reservation for Goliath. We walked all way to Goliath and we skipped the entire line. After the ride attendant checked us in, we reserved Scream then got in line for the back of the train. They were only running two trains and I think they could've been a little faster in their operations but they weren't unbearably slow. We were on the ride and we dispatched, we began our slow climb up the lift hill. I'm from Charlotte, North Carolina. Go to an amusement park called Carowinds. We have a B&M hyper called Intimidator and a B&M Giga named Fury 325. Just riding those rides all the time may Goliath not so scary. The drop was long but surprisingly, I felt nothing. I still had fun because Goliath was very smooth and g-force induced. After getting off of Goliath, we headed over to Scream.

IMG_1971.jpg.4a91ccfcffca75677c1a6f0a916f01f7.jpg

I have heard some about Scream. I heard it was very rough for a B&M. Once we dispatched and headed up the lift feel I was extremely excited to experience my first B&M floorless coaster. I have been on Griffon and SheiKra at Busch Gardens but I don't consider those floorless coasters because they're not based on multiple inversions. One we hit the pre drop and turned right, my ear hit the restraint.

IMG_1968.thumb.JPG.34cea3ce4eb5554cb121ab3dec777487.JPG

didn't even notice the parking lot below it while we were on the ride. I was very surprised that they didn't take our photos.

IMG_2015.thumb.JPG.226472a272a8d4054a351cfe18f5d65d.JPG

IMG_1972.thumb.JPG.644d4c554f1bd101fe6081bd00a56ac2.JPG

After exiting the ride, we headed over to the line of Riddler's Revenge.I've heard some pretty bad things aboutthis being Beamer too but after having a great ride on Scream, I was not afraid of this ride at all. When we got to the top of the line the ride attendant scanned our device and we reserve a ride for Batman and headed over to row four. They were running two train very efficiently for standup coaster. This was the first time on a standup roller coaster that I could not put the seat down by myself.

IMG_1975.thumb.JPG.bbf49876f47cfff4003245d33489b1b7.JPG

Once dispatched, we headed up the lift and when we got to the top, I couldn't see any track in front of us. We dropped and headed over to loop. I experienced some serious hang time at the top of of the loop. My feet were not even touching the floor of the train. We went to a couple more elements then we went through the inclined loop. We hit the midcourse break run and we dropped again and went through a corkscrew. I was expecting a very snappy corkscrew, much to my dismay, it was smooth as silk. We went through a mini airtime hill and my feet lifted off the floor of the train for a couple of seconds. I thoroughly enjoyed this ride and I would definitely ride it again.

IMG_1978.thumb.JPG.98af5ef5d227dc1d3fe0edd46a2ba72e.JPG

IMG_1980.thumb.JPG.de4ded8a2f29465217cf6ff1c50e9b12.JPG

IMG_1981.thumb.JPG.7113c1c2eb9c911520cfb2c6d447d342.JPG

This ride it was nonstop intense. It was snappy and I absolutely loved it. So far all the rides have been ultra smooth.

IMG_1982.thumb.JPG.4ea0e05bd59ff52c4296ae44c2d86e36.JPG

IMG_1983.thumb.JPG.2091097d50247e6c63bc956e8d399ab7.JPG

It was time to ride Batman!

IMG_1984.thumb.JPG.8e5d1efbb2573420c787adbf24aa5595.JPG

I've heard people grey out on this coaster because it was so intense. We got to the station and the ride attendant scanned our device and we registered a ride for Green Lantern. We wrote Batman row three and I'm glad we did.

IMG_1985.thumb.JPG.a08da89d21f6daef309011e62f33ec4d.JPG

Part 2 will come tomorrow!

Edited by theintimidator

I'm glad that you had a great time but the TR seriously made my head hurt...spacing...and some CAPs occasionally please!

1st time ever at SFMM and not even tempted for a ride on Yolo or TC??!! I know the latter is not on Flash Pass but come on...

Inside seat for X2...

I really hope you make it back...you missed out on the best coaster on the West Coast...

^ I will edit this really quick. Thanks for the tips on the first trip report! I do appreciate it. The party that I was with didn't feel like standing in lines. I'm going by myself next week to ride what I want and when I want

You'll definitely want to make use of Twisted Colossus' single rider line if you go alone next time. It's like gold, especially if you have a good grouper.